• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you kill baby Hitler?

• I would kill Hitler and take a chance

Votes: 372 37.4%
  • I wouldn't want to disturb the past with the possibility of making the outcome worse

Votes: 622 62.6%

• Total voters

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Europeans can't go very long without killing each other by the millions. WWII would have happened eventually, and probably with more destructive weapons.

Dec 24, 2017
I wouldn't kill baby Hitler. I'd intercede with young adult Hitler, and attempt to steer him in a different direction. But if that failed, I'd smoke adult Hitler who's worldview wasn't going to listen to reason.

L176

Jan 10, 2019
Who would do this? Do you really have the right to revoke everyone in existence's right to exist? I'm sorry but this is just dumb.

My thoughts exactly. This shouldn't even been a question. Also, if you'd kill baby Hitler there would have just another fascist to replace. He didn't invent the ideology.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Not as bad as Hitler?

Also the precise definition of innocent could use quite a bit of exploration here since we know this baby grows up to be Hitler

But he's innocent at that point in time. Hell... one coudl argue all you really need to do is change his past. Maybe hitler could become a different type person and not be the person he ends up being in our timeline.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
tenor.gif

remiri

Nov 1, 2017
Killing Hitler as a child wouldn't have changed the Treaty of Versailles which strangled Germany and created the resentment that ultimately triggered a new World War, there would just be some other Hitler-equivalent, perhaps one that made better military moves like not attacking Russia.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
What does the total number of people existing afterwards have to do anything? You are trading the lives of one set of innocent people and their descendants for another. What is the justification for snuffing out the existence of one group of innocents for another?

PREVENTING THE HOLOCAUST.

Those are people who were not replaced by other people! People are getting sucked up in this weird actuarial genocide and they're forgetting about the actual genocide.

Why even stop at Hitler? Why not go back to stop the Armenian Genocide, Irish Genocide, Mongol Genocide, etc? There is always going to be a group of persecuted people killed unfairly further back, and every time you go further back, you wipe out (ever more) the existences of those born after. How far back do you go? Which genocide deserves to be undone more? And how many existences of people born since are you willing to erase in exchange?

I already proposed preventing the Viking Age, which would change pretty much all European history since the Dark Ages, so the answer is prevent whatever genocide you want, because genocides are actually bad. Since I think this whole "erasing existences" thing is absurd, it doesn't move me at all.

If "the crime has already happened" then the lives of those who wouldn't have lived because of the Holocaust (likely the majority of people born since it) have also lived lives that have "already happened". You are basically admitting this path would end the existence of billions of people that "already happened".

It's time travel. Everything has already happened. That is the narrative purpose of time travel in speculative fiction -- to allow us to look at a choice in full knowledge of one of the possible outcomes, something we are otherwise never granted in life, and consider what full knowledge does to our moral options.

Eliminating the Holocaust would not suddenly lead to an empty earth, denuded of human life. Saying it would "end the existence" of billions of people is Aristotelian faffery. The billions of people would still be there. They would just be different people. But their lives and existences would also have already happened.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
No probably not. First of all it looks like a baby not the infamous leader of the Nazis with the Michael Jordan mustache. Second the effect the war had on the world is quantifiable in many ways but not able to be measured in others. I wouldn't want to undo what could be described as positive effects or even neutral changes that occurred as a result.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
What if you kill baby Hitler and then the Nazis win WW2 because the person that took his place actually listened to his generals and took Moscow.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Putting aside the fact you are asking us if we want to murder a baby, we have no idea how history would play out if Hitler didn't exist. It is not worth the risk of making things worse.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't really change much. The powers that be don't like to talk about it, but Hitler was not a self-made man. He was nothing more than a sockpuppet for the capitalist elite to carry out their agenda - Including the Holocaust. The same Elite responsible for the rise of Franco and Mussolini, and an attempt at a Fascist coup against FDR in the US. The real villains responsible for WW2 and all its atrocities went completely unpunished from the shadows, and made a tidy profit from it all while they were at it.

They would have found another person to mold and groom to carry out their will - Plenty of people within Hitler's circle that would have readily been able to take his place were he never there. Himmler, Goebbels, Goering...

In fact, I'd say things could have gone even worse if someone with a cooler temper was in Hitler's place - The Capitalist Elites would have more time to make more attempts at overthrowing democracy in America - When Hitler got the party started in Europe they lost their opportunities to make such overtures again lest FDR bring down The Hammer on them without hesitation. Which he should have done the first time IMO.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You don't have to kill the baby. You could remove him from the timeline by bringing him back to the future and raising him.

There are other ways to do this without killing babies.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Those are people who were not replaced by other people! People are getting sucked up in this weird actuarial genocide and they're forgetting about the actual genocide.

I already proposed preventing the Viking Age, which would change pretty much all European history since the Dark Ages, so the answer is prevent whatever genocide you want, because genocides are actually bad. Since I think this whole "erasing existences" thing is absurd, it doesn't move me at all.

It's time travel. Everything has already happened. That is the narrative purpose of time travel in speculative fiction -- to allow us to look at a choice in full knowledge of one of the possible outcomes, something we are otherwise never granted in life, and consider what full knowledge does to our moral options.

Eliminating the Holocaust would not suddenly lead to an empty earth, denuded of human life. Saying it would "end the existence" of billions of people is Aristotelian faffery. The billions of people would still be there. They would just be different people. But their lives and existences would also have already happened.

Hark at you throwing accusations of absurdity around in a thread about killing baby Hitler using time travel

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The traumatic near-death experience as an infant from a failed assassination attempt is what ultimately led Hitler down his dark path in adulthood. History would have been very different without that well-meaning but incompetent time traveller.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Why not go into the past to change his path instead? Just make him accepted into art school. Lol

May 26, 2018
Best answer, if you're missing with the past, is to get the kid out of that environment and into one that is healthier. Don't have to hurt him at all.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Why is this always a question of killing a baby. If you have that opportunity, then you could just take the baby back with you into the future. You succeed in removing them from that moment in time and you aren't a murderer.

That said, is this being done under the assumption that you'll change your own timeline or just in an attempt to improve another timeline since ours can't be changed?

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
I can't see anyone here actually kill a baby...

We have time travel. Take him back before the earth coalesced and drop him in deep space. Probably hold your breath first. Also going back that far and introducing a baby to the formless void before creation probably won't have any long-term effects, right?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
It can't happen because you wouldn't exist to go back if he never rose to power.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Just go back in time and bang Hitler's mom instead. Bring her to New York, show her a good time. Take in the Ziegfeld Follies. Leave her a trunk full of cash and some good memories.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Could just kidnap baby Hitler and go to the other side of the country and give him to a family looking to adopt, bonus points if the family is Jewish. You now avoid his rise to power and you didn't have to kill a baby to do it. And who knows he might grow up to be someone who talks sense into the greater German populous.

i would however go back in time and kill every single european who stepped foot in west Africa to establish the slave trade and put their heads on a pike next to their broken down ships

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I'd prevent World War 1. That event led to the most fuckery.
This here is the right answer.

Hitler was just one man, the sentiments he had was something that the people who supported him had as well. And they all had it because of WW1 and to a further extent the ridiculously unfair Treaty of Versailles.

WW1 was pointless, but inevitable at that time and it's what led to WW2.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand

Is "replacing" somebody with somebody else justifiable? People are not just "interchangeable". Again, you are exchanging the existence of one group for the existence of another.

If those lives already happened then you are effectively killing people. At the very least, you are erasing lives they lived from "history".

People aren't saying there would be an empty Earth when positing you are eliminating the existence of millions or billions. The change in population, displacement of individuals, and shift in resources among other things as a result of World War 2 and the Holocaust is absolutely enough to completely change the shape of globally who is born. People who otherwise would have been born wouldn't be. If your parents conceived months earlier or later than yourself were conceived, their resulting offspring wouldn't be "you". Also possible your parents would never conceive at all. Basic "butterfly effect" in action, except in this case the butterfly is a global scale event.

Let's scale this dilemma down with a more personal example...

Joe is a good natured, single man who owns and runs his own general store. One day an unhinged individual decides to take his own life, but maliciously wants to "take somebody with him", and randomly chooses Joe's store, gunning down Joe in cold blood with a shot through the heart before shooting himself dead.

Joe is dead, tragic and unfair, his life cut short undeservedly. Mary and John, strangers to each other but known to Joe, attend Joe's funeral. They meet there, start dating, fall in love, get married and have a single child Mark. Mark grows up to become a good natured construction work, marries, and has 3 kids of his own. They are strangers to you, but all living their lives right now alongside you, right now.

You have a time machine, and the limited ability to go back to the general store on that fateful day Joe died. Joe is also a stranger to you, but you can stop Joe getting killed, by supplying a bullet proof vest, by locking the store front, or just getting him to go home early that day. You can overturn the selfish, evil actions of the shooter easily, allowing Joe to live out his life, probably having kids of his own. You have that power.

However, if Joe doesn't die, Mary and John don't meet, Mark is never born, and Mark's kids are never born.

Do you save Joe?

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Is "replacing" somebody with somebody else justifiable? People are not just "interchangeable". Again, you are exchanging the existence of one group for the existence of another.

Yes, replacing somebody with somebody else, both of whom I know nothing about, seems obviously fine. I wouldn't even say "justifiable" because I don't think there is much if anything to justify. Again, I think people take actions every day that in practice have this effect without thinking much about it at all.

If those lives already happened then you are effectively killing people. At the very least, you are erasing lives they lived from "history".

"Effectively killing" is doing a whole lot of work here. If killing people painlessly transformed them into different people, I think we'd generally have a different perspective on it.

People aren't saying there would be an empty Earth when positing you are eliminating the existence of millions or billions. The change in population, displacement of individuals, and shift in resources among other things as a result of World War 2 and the Holocaust is absolutely enough to completely change the shape of globally who is born. People who otherwise would have been born wouldn't be. If your parents conceived months earlier or later than yourself were conceived, their resulting offspring wouldn't be "you". Also possible your parents would never conceive at all. Basic "butterfly effect" in action, except in this case the butterfly is a global scale event.

Yes, all of this is true, and none of it seems important to me at all, as long as it doesn't lead to some sort of drastic fall in population as a result.

Let's scale this dilemma down with a more personal example...

Joe is a good natured, single man who owns and runs his own general store. One day an unhinged individual decides to take his own life, but maliciously wants to "take somebody with him", and randomly chooses Joe's store, gunning down Joe in cold blood with a shot through the heart before shooting himself dead.

Joe is dead, tragic and unfair, his life cut short undeservedly. Mary and John, strangers to each other but known to Joe, attend Joe's funeral. They meet there, start dating, fall in love, get married and have a single child Mark. Mark grows up to become a good natured construction work, marries, and has 3 kids of his own. They are strangers to you, but all living their lives right now alongside you, right now.

You have a time machine, and the limited ability to go back to the general store on that fateful day Joe died. Joe is also a stranger to you, but you can stop Joe getting killed, by supplying a bullet proof vest, by locking the store front, or just getting him to go home early that day. You can overturn the selfish, evil actions of the shooter easily, allowing Joe to live out his life, probably having kids of his own. You have that power.

However, if Joe doesn't die, Mary and John don't meet, Mark is never born, and Mark's kids are never born.

Do you save Joe?

Yes.

Would you really kill Joe because you prefer Mark? That is effectively what the alternative would be.

Imagine that you discover one day that the unhinged individual is actually you, having time traveled back there deliberately to kill Joe, then escaping and leaving a false body behind. But you haven't done it yet, and could choose not to do it. Would you push the button, go back there, and kill Joe in cold blood, all so that you can ensure your life does not change and your friend Mark continues to exist?

If you discovered somebody was going to time travel back to WWII and prevent the Holocaust, would you travel back and personally ensure the Holocaust takes place to make sure none of the people born in the interim are affected?

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
Yes, replacing somebody with somebody else, both of whom I know nothing about, seems obviously fine. I wouldn't even say "justifiable" because I don't think there is much if anything to justify. Again, I think people take actions every day that in practice have this effect without thinking much about it at all.

This strikes me as sociopathic.

"Effectively killing" is doing a whole lot of work here. If killing people painlessly transformed them into different people, I think we'd generally have a different perspective on it.

You aren't "transforming" people into different people. You are erasing the existence of some people to bring into existence other, different people.

Yes, all of this is true, and none of it seems important to me at all, as long as it doesn't lead to some sort of drastic fall in population as a result.

This also strikes me as sociopathic. People aren't interchangeable. This is why the Trolley Problem exists.

Yes.

Would you really kill Joe because you prefer Mark? That is effectively what the alternative would be.

I don't know what I would do. That's the point. It's an "impossible" choice. Both are strangers to me. I don't prefer anybody. Is it more fair that Joe lives and Mark never lives? Or more fair that Joe dies and Mark lives?

I will say that I wouldn't, personally, consider any inaction on my part "killing Joe", though I would consider saving Joe as "erasing Mark", and tantamount to "killing" him. Either way, I'd feel guilty. On one hand, I could have saved Joe. On the other hand, I erased Mark (and his descendants).

Imagine that you discover one day that the unhinged individual is actually you, having time traveled back there deliberately to kill Joe, then escaping and leaving a false body behind. But you haven't done it yet, and could choose not to do it. Would you push the button, go back there, and kill Joe in cold blood, all so that you can ensure your life does not change and your friend Mark continues to exist?

I don't even understand what you are trying to say here, or what point you are trying to make. Also, in my example, Mark was as much of a stranger as Joe.

If you discovered somebody was going to time travel back to WWII and prevent the Holocaust, would you travel back and personally ensure the Holocaust takes place to make sure none of the people born in the interim are affected?

I don't know. Again, how do you even begin to make this choice.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
This strikes me as sociopathic.

Yeah, I don't think so.

You aren't "transforming" people into different people. You are erasing the existence of some people to bring into existence other, different people.

Those statements are equivalent.

This also strikes me as sociopathic. People aren't interchangeable. This is why the Trolley Problem exists.

I don't think you understand the Trolley Problem.

I don't know what I would do. That's the point. It's an "impossible" choice. Both are strangers to me. I don't prefer anybody. Is it more fair that Joe lives and Mark never lives? Or more fair that Joe dies and Mark lives?

I don't see how you could possibly consider throwing up your hands and giving up to be somehow superior to my position!

I will say that I wouldn't, personally, consider any inaction on my part "killing Joe", though I would consider saving Joe as "erasing Mark", and tantamount to "killing" him.

Thats unequivocally wrong, though. Obviously if you have the power to prevent a death and choose not to you bear the same moral responsibility as if you had carried it out yourself. That's why the Trolley Problem exists!

I don't even understand what you are trying to say here, or what point you are trying to make.

I am offering a situation in which your moral responsibility for Joe's death is more obvious, to try to help you understand the previous situation.

I don't know. Again, how do you even begin to make this choice.

You've already made exactly this choice by decreeing that it would be wrong to prevent the Holocaust!

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Killing Hitler would not have prevented world war 2, it would have at best delayed it... Hitler didn't cause world war 1, Hitler didn't create Germany's awful economic conditions, Hitler wasnt the sole architect for the Holocaust.

There is also the fact that doing so would throw my existence into question at least, and as a knock on would have likely effected if my wife existed or not, or if we had met or not, or if we would have had kids... It's a ridiculous amount of variables. I would need a Tony Stark level guarantee that nothing we have now would be lost.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
There is also the fact that doing so would throw my existence into question at least, and as a knock on would have likely effected if my wife existed or not, or if we had met or not, or if we would have had kids... It's a ridiculous amount of variables. I would need a Tony Stark level guarantee that nothing we have now would be lost.
I'd be willing to bet that not a single person alive today born after WW2 would exist if we prevented the holocaust. Not a one. Well, perhaps a tribe in the Amazon or on those islands off of India but for the rest of us, nah, none of us would exist today.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't really change much. The powers that be don't like to talk about it, but Hitler was not a self-made man. He was nothing more than a sockpuppet for the capitalist elite to carry out their agenda - Including the Holocaust. The same Elite responsible for the rise of Franco and Mussolini, and an attempt at a Fascist coup against FDR in the US. The real villains responsible for WW2 and all its atrocities went completely unpunished from the shadows, and made a tidy profit from it all while they were at it.

They would have found another person to mold and groom to carry out their will - Plenty of people within Hitler's circle that would have readily been able to take his place were he never there. Himmler, Goebbels, Goering...

In fact, I'd say things could have gone even worse if someone with a cooler temper was in Hitler's place - The Capitalist Elites would have more time to make more attempts at overthrowing democracy in America - When Hitler got the party started in Europe they lost their opportunities to make such overtures again lest FDR bring down The Hammer on them without hesitation. Which he should have done the first time IMO.
Where in your narrative does the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact fall in?

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised at the high percentage of people saying they'd be capable of killing a baby, regardless of who it is

And that's before you even get into the morality of one person taking it upon themselves to change major world events

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
I'd go back in time and try and keep Lenin alive for a few more years. If that doesn't change the global order in a positive way like I think it would, I'd go back in time again and try another option.