• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I thought this might be a fun idea for a thread. Basically, you post your 3 favorite genres, and then in each genre, you post the first game you played, the last game you played, and your favorite game. Explanations encouraged but optional, of course! And feel free to define genre however you want, this isn't an essay. Unless you want it to be!

I'll start.

2D Platformer
I struggled with whether or not to consolidate this with 3D platformers, but I feel like the design philosophy behind them is too different for the most part, the only similarities being video games where the characters can jump. But I grew up on 2D platformers, my first video game ever was a 2D platformer (more on that later), and there's no feeling better than running through a level, blasting and jumping past enemies to get to the end. Of my top 10, three of them are 2D platformers.

First: Super Mario World. My first video game ever as well. I remember clearly going to my neighbor's house and watching him play SNES with my brother, until eventually we got one of our own. It was the first game I ever played, beat, and cleared 100%.
Last: Kero Blaster, I played this little ditty a few months ago. It's a shame it didn't receive a similar amount of attention as Cave Story as it's very charming, and essentially has two NG+ modes to keep you busy after the initial campaign. The combination of shooting and platforming is really satisfying and true to the name of Pixel, it's a gorgeous game. It's on sale on Switch!
Favorite: Donkey Kong Country 2. I used to go back and forth on whether it was this or Super Mario Bros. 3, but replaying both recently, DKC2's sense of aesthetic and soundtrack still resonates with me to this day. Having the game star the sidekick who was kidnapped in the previous title was a stroke of genius, and Diddy/Dixie are my favorite Kongs with the pirates still being my favorite form of the Kremlings to this day.

JRPGs
Although I grew up playing the Mario and Pokemon RPGs, for the most part I kinda steered clear of JRPGs until high school. Part of that was because I didn't grow up on titles like Final Fantasy, partially because they seemed intimidating and difficult to wrap my brain around. I quickly realized that Super Mario RPG, one of my all time favorite games, had trained me perfectly on the genre and what to expect, and ever since then I've been playing catch up. The best JRPGs really make you feel like you're on an adventure with a motley crew, and even if the plot is hit or miss, the characters resonate all the same.

First: Super Mario RPG. Although as a little kid I had trouble getting past the earlygame bosses and understanding how equipment worked, for the most part, this game was the perfect tutorial for the genre. The charming visuals and writing encouraged me to keep playing, and it introduced me to the legendary composer Yoko Shimomura. It's a not terribly long but perfectly paced adventure with many memorable moments, and to this day it's still my favorite Mario RPG, although Paper Mario 64 is a very close runner up.
Last: Tales Of Berseria, which I played earlier in the year. I was actually surprised I hadn't played a JRPG since then, but when you're busy it's harder to devote time to a genre that is minimum 40 hours. Still, as my first Tales game, I really enjoyed this; Velvet is a really compelling protagonist and generally speaking I really liked the other party members. Battling is kind of button mashy and the soundtrack isn't the most memorable, but I definitely had a great time with the game and hopefully soon I will start playing the other Tales games.
Favorite: Persona 5. I've gushed about P5 a lot on here, so I won't repeat that, but as someone who found the dungeon crawling in Persona 3 and 4 to be the low point, I never thought 5 would make it a highlight. The style, themes, soundtrack, emotional resonance, everything else came together into a game that lasted 100 hours and left me wanting more.

3D Platformer
I tried to think of another genre I've played a lot that would fit here - I considered squeezing in Zelda as "action/adventure" but then I realized the Zelda titles are the only ones of that mold I've really played, I thought about fighting and racing games, but they aren't what I think of for "favorite" genres, I'm a fan of Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil but besides them I don't really play third person shooters, I haven't really played the character action genre a ton outside of DMC and MGR... so I just said "fuck it" and went back to the platforming well. Anyway, 3D platformers rule. Whether they're exploration based or obstacle course based, I can't get enough of them, and with the fact that we're going through a bit of a renaissance for the genre, I'm hoping we'll see more outside of Mario games. Speaking of...

First: Super Mario 64. Yeah, Mario has been my gateway drug into gaming. But I'd wager this was the first 3D platformer for many reading. I remember my cousin getting the game for Christmas and being mindblown watching him play. Even my 5 year old brain understood how momentous this game was. To this day, I would argue Mario controls better and smoother than many modern 3D platformers, with a toolkit that lets him accomplish a lot and never feels too restricted. More than 20 years later, you still see 3D platformers struggling to stand out of this game's shadow.
Last: The original Crash Bandicoot on the N. Sane Trilogy earlier this year. I had played Crash 2 and 3 on my PSP a few years before, but steered clear of Crash 1 because of its reputation. After picking up the trilogy I decided to give it a go, and although the first few worlds were managable, I started to see what people meant once I got to the mid-lategame. Still, I enjoyed it for what it was and how it got the series started, and felt pretty accomplished after vanquishing it. I even cleared Stormy Ascent!
Favorite: Banjo-Kazooie. I feel like this game embodies what I love most about 3D platformers: giving you dense worlds to explore and run around in, without ever padding it too much with empty space. If you've played it, I don't need to tell you about the charming settings and legendary Kirkhope soundtrack. I definitely don't need to tell you how excited I was to see the bear and bird in Smash Ultimate with all of the homages to this game on their stage with the remixed soundtrack.

Last edited:

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
RTS
First : Starcraft
Last : Red Alert 3/Uprising
Favorite : Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge

Fighting game
First : Killer Instinct on the snes
Last : Unist
Favorite : SFV

RPG
First : Pokemon Blue
Last : Lufia 2
Favorite : Tales of Symphonia

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Open world

First: Sleeping Dogs
Last: Days Gone
Favorite: a tie between RDR2 and The Witcher 3

RPG

First: FFVII
Last: FFVIII Remastered
Favorite: FFVII

First Person Shooter

First: Battlefield 3
Last: Battlefield V
Favorite: Star Wars Battlefront 2015

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Visual novels
first: 999
last: steins;gate 0 might be the only VN that I finished since fata morgana. been a while
favorite: the house in fata morgana

JRPG
first: persona 4 golden
last: don't recall the last one I finished. dark souls 3 maybe?
favorite: I feel guilty for saying this given how homophobic it is but p4g. NieR Automata as the runner up

metroidvania
first: metroid zero mission
last: castlevania HoD
favorite: toss up between aria of sorrow and zero mission

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Visual Novels
  • First: 999
  • Last: The House in Fata Morgana
  • Favourite: Umineko

Platformer
  • First: Prince of Persia
  • Last: Yoku's Island Express
  • Favourite: Super Mario Galaxy 2

Hack & Slash
  • First: Devil May Cry
  • Last: Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z
  • Favourite: Ninja Gaiden Black/Bayonetta 2

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Fighting:
First: Street Fighter II
Last: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Favorite: Super Smash Bros. Melee

JRPG:
First: Pokemon Red
Last: Fire Emblem Three Houses
Favorite: Fire Emblem Fates

Platformer:
First: Super Mario Bros.
Last: Super Mario Maker 2
Favorite: Super Mario World

Not much franchise variety here but I assure you I've played a lot more than SSB/FE/Mario lol

Aug 28, 2019
Oh, fun. Let's see here. For all of these, I prefer the way they were made in the early-mid 90s, though that kind of design is starting to come back. Everything comes back around every 20 years or so.

2D Platformer:
First: Super Mario Brothers. A typical pick I'm sure. We rented an NES many years ago when I was a kid, and got this and... Top Gun. Obviously SMB got more play.
Last: Celeste. Just finished chapter 8 the other day, haven't started the Farewell yet. I'm not usually into this specific kind of platformer, but I'm pleasantly surprised by the mechanical variety and the honest but positive emotion.
Favorite: Super Metroid, I think. Near-flawless and in my opinion unrivaled to this day.

FPS:
First: Not sure. Wolf 3D? The Catacomb Abyss? Spectre? Faceball 2000? One of those, I think.
Last: Fear 3. It was terrible. I loved Fear and... tolerated Fear 2, so I just wanted to close out the trilogy and story. It was a waste of time.
Favorite: Maybe Blood. Great level design and atmosphere combined with frantic combat. I hate the flare pistol, though.

RPG:
First: Final Fantasy. I saw this in Nintendo Power, and for some reason I became obsessed with playing it. The local video store only had one copy, and it was checked out for months. When I finally got ahold of it, I fell in love with it. To this day it's one of my favorites in the series.
Last: I think it was Shadows: Awakening (I'm not gonna count River City Girls). I'm not a big fan of isometric clickers anymore, but this one is distinct enough (and restrained enough in terms of loot) that it holds my attention.
Favorite: I have a hard time deciding between Wizardry 6 and 7. 6 is an amazing megadungeon, while 7 expands into an open world. Both have excellent character building and mechanics. 6-8 taken together (the Dark Savant trilogy) is one of the most epic stories in gaming, with your party caught in the middle of a three-sided, galaxy-spanning war with unimaginable stakes. It took me years to complete all three, and the ending was so worth it.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
I'm always amazed by these threads because I can't never remember this kind of stuff. I mean I can obviously mention my last and favorite but the first is more tricky.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
RTS
First: Age of Empires
Last: Halo Wars Definitive Edition
Favorite: Age of Empires 2 + The Conquerors

RPG
First: Fallout 2
Last: Pillars of Eternity II
Favorite: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Immersive Sim
First: Deus Ex
Last: We Happy Few
Favorite: Prey

Immersive Sims are often RPGs, but there's enough specific caveats to be one that I'm fine with calling it a separate genre.

Aug 28, 2019
First: Super Mario 64. Yeah, Mario has been my gateway drug into gaming. But I'd wager this was the first 3D platformer for many reading. I remember my cousin getting the game for Christmas and being mindblown watching him play. Even my 5 year old brain understood how momentous this game was. To this day, I would argue Mario controls better and smoother than many modern 3D platformers, with a toolkit that lets him accomplish a lot and never feels too restricted. More than 20 years later, you still see 3D platformers struggling to stand out of this game's shadow.
Would you say it holds up pretty well then?

Like you, I was enraptured when Mario 64 first came out. It was just phenomenal in its day. This game is what really got me hyped for the N64. I ended up being very disappointed in that regard, and I went from being a fanatical Nintendo kid to simply ignoring them by the time Game Cube came out.

I haven't played it in a very long time, though. I don't know if it would have the same appeal to me today. Some people say it still holds up, others say it's too dated and clunky.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Would you say it holds up pretty well then?

Like you, I was enraptured when Mario 64 first came out. It was just phenomenal in its day. This game is what really got me hyped for the N64. I ended up being very disappointed in that regard, and I went from being a fanatical Nintendo kid to simply ignoring them by the time Game Cube came out.

I haven't played it in a very long time, though. I don't know if it would have the same appeal to me today. Some people say it still holds up, others say it's too dated and clunky.

I replayed it two years ago to prepare for Mario Odyssey and I feel for the most part it holds up. The last third of the game is probably weaker than the early/mid parts, but I feel Mario still controls super well and most of the level design is engaging.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Turn-Based Strategy
First: Icarus: Sanctuary of the Gods
Last: Banner Saga 3
Favorite: Heroes of Might and Magic 3

JRPG:
First: Final Fantasy VIII
Last: Final Fantasy XV
Favorite: Legend of Mana

CRPG:
First: Might and Magic 6
Last: Dragon Age: Inquisition
Favorite: Might and Magic 7

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
JRPG
First: Pokémon Yellow
Last: Tales of Vesperia R
Favourite: Tales of Vesperia

WRPG
First: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Last: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Favourite: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

3D Platformer
First: Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom
Last: Spyro
Favourite: Super Mario Odyssey

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Metroidvania
First: Jack the Nipper 2, C64
Last: Hollow Knight, Switch
Favorite: Super Metroid, SNES

Space Adventure
First: Elite, C64
Last: No Man's Sky, PC
Favorite: No Man's Sky, PC

WRPG
First: The Bard's Tale, Amiga
Last: Pillars of Eternity, PC
Favorite: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Hmm, lets see:

Action/Stealth
First: Metal Gear Solid
Last: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Favorite: Metal Gear Solid

Open World
First: Fallout 3
Last: Days Gone
Favorite: Red Dead Redemption 2

Survival Horror
First: Resident Evil 2
Last: Resident Evil 2 Remake
Favorite: Resident Evil 2 Remake

RUNNER UP:

JRPG
First: Breath of Fire
Last: Final Fantasy VIII Remaster
Favorite: Final Fantasy VII

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
JRPG:

First: Pokémon Red - I was like 8-9 yo, it was in a emulator on the pc. Back then i didn't knew anything about the concept of piracy or even that it was actually a Game Boy game lol The turn based battles, the catch mechanics and everything just felt so weird to me at the time. I really didn't like it at first, but forced my way though it due to my pokémon fanboy phase, and learned to love it. I remember only using the starter pokémon so at elite 4 i was like with Charizard at lv 100, everyone else at 15 haha good times.

Last: Crosscode - Not actually japanese but i don't really care, will consider it a Jrpg. I was pretty impressed on how great it is. Combat is top notch, exploration is really nice and the Zelda like dungeons are incredible. Plot is fun, characters are nice and Lea is the cutest. It's easily one of my favorite games.

Favorite: Xenogears - It's pure sci fi jrpg greatness. Videogames never reached so far in telling a giant mindfuck story. And Chuchu died for our sins. Just got lazy and will try to write tinier explanations.

Metroidvania:

First: Castlevania SOTN - I remember not liking how it looked like snes when it was a PS1 game lol I was a little shit back then. Great stuff, had a kind of exploration i would never imagine in a videogame. Took me ages to discover stuff like the Succubus fight, the underground areas and obviously the inverted castle.

Last: Guacamelee 2 - Barely feels like a metroidvania but the platforming sections are creme de la creme of the genre. Tons of shitty jokes and i loved/lmao'ed at every single one of them.

Favorite: La-Mulana - Best game ever. You either played and love it or you're wrong!

Point and Click Adventure:

First: Full Throttle - It's awesome. I learned how to no putting my lips on weird things with this game.

Last: Unavowed - Also great stuff, all the characters are super cool, the light rpg elements are refreshing and the moral choices were a nice idea, tho it really didn't changed nothing in the end.

Favorite: Deponia Trilogy - Protagonist is a huge piece of shit, the humour is edgy and 5th grade-ish, and it's really uncomfortable to play some times, but holy fuck the feels when stuff really happens. The ending of Goodbye Deponia is just pure art (I kinda like to pretend Doomsday didn't existed) and make me feel a lot for a series about stupid comedy.

Oct 26, 2017
Western RPGs

First: Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape Torment, don't remember
Last: Divinity Original Sin 2
Favourite: That's hard, but if i have to name at least one, it's Fallout New Vegas

Action games

First: Onimusha
Last: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Favourite: Devil May Cry 3

Immersive Sims:

First: Thief: The Dark Project
Last: Prey
Favourite: Deus Ex

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Official Staff Communication
Do Not Create: List Threads A list thread is a thread that encourages replies that largely or completely take the form of lists. These threads tend not to generate much, if any, actual discussion or member interaction.

There is enough discussion currently to remain open. However if the thread devolves into lists with no discourse, it will be closed.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I'll also include worst because why not!

Japanese RPG's
First:
Pokémon Blue — My parents bought it me during Easter in 2000. I played it non-stop, got everyone I could to level 99. I still have the box and cartridge with me.
Last: Metal Max Xeno — For how obviously low the budget was, I think this was a fun game. I spent a lot of time on tank customization and I even finished the game wanting more.
Favourite: Mana Khemia (either one) — It's one of those games that clicks with me so deeply that I can't even say what's wrong with it. It's my favourite soundtrack, battle system, progression system, just favourite game ever and I'm 100% a fanboy about it.
Worst: Final Fantasy XIII-3 — It's one of those games that does everything so off-base that I can't even say what's right with it. It makes the previous games in the trilogy seem like good writing. It's that bizarre.

Turn Based Strategy RPG's
First:
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon — Yes. I was late going into Strategy games. It was a genre I thought I'd never get into, but this game helped me click into it. It was simple, enjoyable and... easy to break.
Last: Tears to Tiara II — The maps were nicely varied, but the game was all about its story telling. I liked it a ton at first, but the story starts to negate a lot of impactful moments and starts to feel somewhat manipulative. It's hard to explain. It was good though.
Favourite: Fire Emblem 6 — Incredible map design and lots of varied missions. The difficulty was just right; bordering on frustrating but very rewarding. Your units not just being one-unit-armies was refreshing.
Worst: Arc the Lad — The absolute bare minimum of what could be considered a strategy. No good maps, no good progression or alternative win conditions, it has to be a game that was made very quickly.

...First Person Dungeon Crawlers? C'mon, it's a sub genre!
First: Shining in the Darkness — You need a map with you at all times and even then you are likely to get lost (or suffer through traps), but I had a ton of fun and it got me wanting way more.
Last: Demon Gaze — Still not finished with this one yet, but it's one of the many Vita DRPG's I'm currently enjoying. I like the equipment system.
Favourite: Shining the Holy Ark — Probably one of the most unique and creative RPG's I've played. It really stands out, and has such an atmosphere to it.
Worst: ...not sure. Most of these games are pretty good at fulfilling that dungeon crawling need. And those that I want to steer clear from usually seem pretty obvious.

Jun 24, 2019
Action Games
First: Tomb Raider Underworld
Recent: Sekiro:Shadows Die Twice
Favourite: Bloodborne

Bloodborne would have to be my favourite A-RPG (and my 2nd favourite game of all time, after Zelda TP). It's the complete package.

Stealth
First: That one Splinter Cell mobile game, I can't remember the title
Recent: Persona 5 (does this one count?)
Favourite: Dishonored 1
Special Mentions: Metal Gear Solid games, Alien Isolation, Sekiro

I am a huge fan of stealth games. Dishonored takes the cake because the game is designed to be stealth exclusively. Although linear, it feels limitless with the many creative mechanics. So many ways to take down enemies, various routes to get to places, Arkane studios are the best.

Open World
First: I can't remember
Recent: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Favourite: Too many to count. I give it to BotW.
Special Mentions: Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman

BotW may not be my favourite Zelda game, but it surely is up there. The scale, the landscapes, the weather physics are phenomenal.

Other genres I am into: Story Driven (too many), Horror and psychological (too many), Puzzle-Platformers (Portal in particular), Weird stupid ones (eg. Goat Simulator...too f--king many)

edit: /face palm/ I forgot to remove Action RPG sub-title, as I changed my list to Action games. Sorry for the confusion. For A-RPGs I was gonna list Mass Effect, Astral Chain and Bloodborne.

Last edited:

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
Racing
First: Buggy Boy (C64)
The first game I got with my C64, along with Rampage, and I loved it. Played it a lot.

Last: Wreckfest (Xbox One)
I was worried about the console release as it got postponed again and again but it runs rock solid on my XBox One X. It's fun for once, to play a racing game where you don't have to race clean and watch out not to make mistakes. I absolutely love the thrill of the figure 8 tracks.

Favorite: Out Run (1986 Arcade) with Burnout 3 Takedown as a close 2nd.
I played Out Run for the first time on my 10 year birthday back in 1989. My parents took me to a burger place that had the machine and let me play. The graphics, music and the whole experience of the sitdown cockpit blew me away. Later that summer I witnessed someone complete the game on 1 credit. It was the first time I saw someone get to the end of an arcade game. Later I got the game on C64 but it was, ofcourse, a totally different experience.

Fighting
First: Yie Ar Kung Fu (C64)
I played this game a lot back in the day. It was years and years later that I found that the game was actually a port of an arcade game.

Last: Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition
Haven't put much time into it but I intend to. I know it has gotten a lot of flack but I haven't given it a fair shake yet so I can't comment on it.

Favorite: Ultra Street Fighter IV
Street Fighter IV revived the scene back in 2008 and it blew up when it arrived on consoles in 2009. I got very excited to get back into fighting games as my local scene had died out years earlier. I could finally fight people online in a Street Fighter game! Put a lot of hours into the series and still play it occationally to this day.

2D Platformer
First: Giana Sisters (C64)
Got this game on C64 by my neighour at the time. It absolutely blew me away.

Last: Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Fun game that was praised for it's level design and hard difficulty. It didn't click with me. It was fine but nothing special to me.

Got this when I bought a Super Nintendo. Graphics, music, powerups, secret exits. This game has it all and it progessively gets harder. The world map is beatiful too.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
SRPG

First:
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (I think? Very difficult to answer, I may have played something else on the Game Boy Colour before this, but /shrug)
Got it with my GBA. Loooooved it. My friend got FE7 with his, and when we were both done, we swapped.
Last: Escaform
Played all of fifteen minutes so far because it arrived today. Has the kind of opening movie I'm particularly weak to, where the concepts the plot is built around flash across the screen.
Favourite: Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Makes all other SRPGs look like starving hobo children... But seriously, it's almost ridiculous how much better this is than 99.9% of entries in the genre.

JRPG

First:
Guardian's Crusade (maybe? This is impossible to narrow down - it could have been a SNES game for all I know, but I came across this on a demo disc very, very early into owning a PS1)
I can barely remember anything about it honestly, outside of leaving extremely young me very confused.
Last: FFXIV
Just finished Heavensward, and getting stuck into the patch content before Stormblood. Pretty rad.
Favourite: Kingdom Hearts
So Kingdom Hearts obviously isn't the best JRPG I've ever played, per se, but it had a huge impact on me and I love it dearly. Beloved.

Visual Novels (not actually my third favourite genre, but couldn't think of what else to put :P)

First: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Lovely series. Not much else to say.
Last: The Silver Case
Slowly going through (and have been for some months). It's awesome... Sometimes. Very uneven game.
Favourite: Virtue's Last Reward
This is my favourite game in general. It's just so stupendously entertaining! The music is awesome! It's structurally complicated as fuck! It must have been a nightmare to write!

babuchy

The Fallen
Nov 3, 2017
RPG:
First: Story of Thor
Last: Divinity: Original Sin
Favourite: Baldur's Gate 2

FPS:
First: Doom
Last: Metro Exodus
Favourite: Half-life 2

Survival Horror:
First: Alone in the Dark
Last: Resident Evil 2 remake
Favourite: Silent Hill 2

Aug 10, 2019
Action/Adventure
First -The Legend of Zelda was the first game that I remember kids at school talking about like the gameplay was an extension of their memories. At the time, nothing like this game had existed before, and it blew all out little minds. I wasn't allowed to have a Nintendo, so I played this at a friends house.

Last - Sekiro Shadows Die Twice is my game of the year so far and is so good that I find it difficult starting other games.

Favorite - The Last of Us is a masterpiece on so many levels. What can I say that hasn't already been said? People who complain that the gameplay is shallow are full of shit.

RPG
First -The Secret of Mana was a game that I played in 1 hour intervals about 3 times a week with a group of two friends. The game took us 4 months to beat and it holds a very special place in my heart.

Last -Dragon Quest XI.. the demo just came out on the Switch and I've put about 5 hours into it. The game hasn't clicked for me yet but I'm sure it eventually will. This will be my first Dragon Quest.

Favorite - Diablo 2 is the game that I've put the most hours into ever. I started a few months after Lord of Destruction came out and became a pretty effective Throw Barb which was a rare class. I eventually became in game wealthy because I would spend entire days farming and trading. I will never play this type of game ever again because of how addictive it is, but I loved this game more than any other when I played it.

Platformer
First - Super Mario Bros changed everything. Everybody wanted to play this thing, but I had to go to a friend's houses to play it. One of the greats.

Last -Super Mario Maker 2 is a ton of fun and helps to remind me what it's like to be a kid again.

Favorite - Super Mario World was such an amazing game. I rarely replay games, yet I've beaten this game at least 10 times. It's just that good!

Honorable Mentions for Favorite
Portal - This game doesn't fit into any genre but it's another I replay every few years.
Smash Ultimate - I don't like fighting games but my god do I love Smash.
The Last Guardian - The gameplay isn't there, we all know that, but holy schneike does this game make you feel something like no other before it. And for that reason, I will always consider it a masterpiece.

Last edited:

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
RPG.
First: Chrono Trigger. My brother had a couple of consoles when I was growing up, and I fondly remember playing CT and struggling to understand where to go etc. Didn't actually complete it until I was much older.

Last: FFVIII Remastered. Got The Platinum this weekend! One of my all time favorites, it together with VII made a huge impact on me when I was younger.

Favorite: FFVII. Man, I love this game so much. It is definitely the game that made me go from having games be something I do when I got free time to actually being interested in the whole industry etc. Probably my favorite game of all time. RELEASE THE REMAKE DEMO SQUARE!

ACTION/ADVENTURE/ (...I Know)
First: Zelda LTTP. i don't know if you'd even categorize it as action adventure but its definitely at least one of the first games that gave me the feeling of actually being on an adventure.

Latest: Yakuza Kiwami 2(?). I loved the first yakuza when it released on the ps2, but it wasn't until late last year that I returned to the series with 0 and the first Kiwami. I'm loving the series now and I'm planning to play through the entire series before 7 comes out.

Favorite: The Last of Us. If there's any game out there that rivals the spot for my favorite game of all time, then it's TLOU. There's nothing I can say about the game that hasn't been said many times before. I'ts just a truly one of a kind experienve and an absolute masterpiece. Hopefully ND can reach the same heights with the sequel.

FIGHTING GAMES
First: Mortal Kombat. I'm not actually the biggest MK fan, and I might actually have played Street Fighter firstm but my earliest memories of a fighting game is still with MK and how I was completely blown away by the graphics. and the gore ofc.

Last: TEKKEN 7. The best party fighting game out there. I and a couple of friends have been casually playing the series since we where kids, and theres still nothing that's as fun as having them come over for a couple of matches on a friday.

Favorite: Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. As a huge Marvel fan, and Capcom too to a degree, I've always preferred the MvC games when it comes to fighting games. And none of them comes close to being as fun and overall hype inducing as Ultimate.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll throw in worsts as well- that I bought

Fighting Games:
First: Samurai Shodown I
Last: Mortal Kombat 11
Favorite: Soul Calibur 6
Worst: 3rd Strike

TBS's:
First: Age of Wonders
Last: Age of Wonders Planetfall
Favorite: Civilization 4
Worst: Elemental War of Magic (though the free sequels ended up redeeming that)

RPGs:
First: Zelda 2
Last: Cosmic Star Heroine
Favorite: Dragon Force
Worst: Final Fantasy 7

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
JRPG
First: Pokemon... Ruby? I think? It might've been Pearl, I don't know.
Last: Radiant Historia. Started off good, but the story sadly wasn't amazing. Fun time, regardless.
Favourite: SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked. Even above Nocturne. Best game in the entire MegaTen series.

Action
First: Bloodborne if I'm not counting that as an ARPG.
Last: Dante's Inferno. It's better than most people give it credit for.
Favourite: Ninja Gaiden Black/2. No surprise there.

FPS
First: CoD: Modern Warfare. Nowadays, it's kinda dated, but for it's time, it was revolutionary.
Last: Painkiller, which is basically the proto-DOOM 2016.
Favourite: Either Painkiller, or Titanfall 2. I like FPS games based around high mobility.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Action Adventure
First : MGS1
Last : Spider-Man 2018
Favorite : Uncharted 4

Adventure Narrative (w/little to zero gunplay)
First : Broken Sword The Shadow of the Templars
Last : The Walking Dead Final Season
Favorite : Detroit Become Human

FPS
First : CoD 3
Last : CoD BO4
Favorite : CoD Advanced Warfare

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
2D Platformer
First: Super Mario Bros.
Last: Super Mario Maker 2
Favorite: Super Mario Bros. 3

Racing
First: Grand Prix Circuit
Last: Horizon Chase
Favorite: TrackMania Nations ESWC

First-person Shooter
First: Wolfenstein 3D
Last: PUBG
Favorite: Battlefield 3

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
JRPG:
First - Final Fantasy 6
Last - Final Fantasy 8 Remastered
Favourite - Kingdom Hearts 3 / Persona 4 Golden

WRPG:
First - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Last - The Witcher 3
Favourite - The Witcher 3

Action Adventure:
First - Tomb Raider
Last - Assassins Creed Odyssey
Favourite - The Last of Us

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
RPG
First : Final Fantasy VII
Last : Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Favorite : The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Survival Horror
First : Resident Evil 2
Last : Resident Evil 2 Remake
Favorite : Resident Evil 2

Souls Like (I know it's not really a genre)
First : Demon's Souls
Last : Salt and Sanctuary
Favorite : Dark Souls

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
RPG
First: Dragon Quest
Last: Trails of Cold Steel 2 (nearing the end)
Favorite: Phantasy Star 2
Worst: Hoshi wo Miru Hito

2D Platformer
First: Super Mario Bros
Last: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Worst: Total Recall

Shmup
First: Life Force
Last: Psyvariar Switch
Favorite: ESPGaluda
Worst: Silver Surfer