• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you accept $1,000,000 in pennies?

• Yes

Votes: 494 94.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 5.9%

• Total voters

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
…If you accept the gift it is given to you entirely in pennies. Every time you buy something with it you can only spend it in change. Is it worth it to you?

That's 100,000,000 pennies btw.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
"I will buy your [thing] and pay 20% over asking if you accept only pennies" Don't see many people turning that down... So this seems relatively straight forward.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
could also just donate it by the bucket and then never feel the """"need""" to donate again.

Like, you know, these kinds of donation boxes they put up next to cash registers, or at airports.
Donate 1.000 bucks in one fell swoop and feel good about yourself for a decade.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
It's free money. Even if I only ever spend 60p on a Double Decker it's still a free Double Decker!

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I would simply use my pennies to buy a place to store all my pennies.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
R8e113e37de3f8e6457dc0c0094ad2960

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
One US penny weighs 2.5 grams. One million dollars would be one hundred million pennies, weighing 250000 kilograms.
Even if your goal was just to put them in the bank or a money exchanger, moving 250 tons of pennies sounds like a nightmare.

Now consider people in countries that don't have pennies, and how much extra work it'd be trying to get them accepted for currency exchange!

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
With that volume of pennies you'd almost be guaranteed to have many many rare and valuable pennies. Find and sell those for regular cash to spend.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I think people are underestimating just how much SPACE this many pennies would take up. Here's a photo for your consideration:
main-qimg-bf3fc52a93bb1b451e8639b37bb73ff8

That's just a million pennies. Now add another 99 more for your 1 million USD. I ain't got space for that shit.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
Quick google math says a penny weighs 2.5g, so 100,000,000 pennies is 275 tons of pennies. Where am I going to put all those pennies???

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
This probably means you have more than 1 Million Dollars in metal material worth.

ClassAndFear

Oct 30, 2017
I think people are underestimating just how much SPACE this many pennies would take up. Here's a photo for your consideration:
main-qimg-bf3fc52a93bb1b451e8639b37bb73ff8

That's just a million pennies. Now add another 99 more for your 1 million USD. I ain't got space for that shit.
I mean... You could buy a house to store your big boxes of pennies in?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
These are in the front of every grocery store I've ever been in, in Kentucky and there is no fee.
Does Kentucky have these machines audited to ensure they're accurate? I know some states do while others don't and some machines will short change you a few percent while offering "no fees". TD Bank pulled all of their machines a few years ago because of lawsuits in the US because they were inaccurate.

globalnews.ca

TD Bank to retire coin-counting machines amid error reports in the U.S. | Globalnews.ca

TD Canada Trust customers looking to have their jars of coins sorted and counted will have to look elsewhere as the bank announced it will shut down its coin counting machines as of Friday.

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
I would accept it, but only on the caveat that they are in rolls and in some sort of container/containers. If they're going to unload a dumptruck of pennies in my driveway and wish me well, they can keep it.

It's not a question of needing the money versus not needing it either - the storage alone is going to be a nightmare for most people. Beyond that, any time you buy something, you're going to have to get a sack out and load your pennies up. At a kilogram for every 4 dollars, you get to a point where you simply can't carry that kind of money around to a place to use it. And that's if the place you take it to doesn't tell you to get the hell out of there lol

Best case scenario, you take what you think you will need for spending everyday (meals/food shopping, gas, incidentals etc) and spend that instead of putting it on your card(s) and just use your paycheck to pay off everything bigger like rent/mortgage, car payment, utilities etc and bank the rest. You'll save quite a bit of money that way.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It'd take some work to manage, but it's more than worth it in the end for $1,000,000

Yes

Oct 28, 2017
I once went to England on a trip. I used cash so the amount of pennies I got as change was dumbfounding. It just kept adding up. What I did was collected all of the small money I had to get rid of it. I paid a milkshake in McDonald's with pennies and bullshit. No penny more, no penny less. The cashier's face was priceless. The place was crowded and busy, so I kinda get her, but money is money.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Does Kentucky have these machines audited to ensure they're accurate? I know some states do while others don't and some machines will short change you a few percent while offering "no fees". TD Bank pulled all of their machines a few years ago because of lawsuits in the US because they were inaccurate.

globalnews.ca

TD Bank to retire coin-counting machines amid error reports in the U.S. | Globalnews.ca

TD Canada Trust customers looking to have their jars of coins sorted and counted will have to look elsewhere as the bank announced it will shut down its coin counting machines as of Friday.
The 2 or 3 times I've used one I've not lost any money.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I would accept a million USD in any denomination. Even if it's in a form I can't reasonably do anything with, I'd still be better off trying to figure out a way to get something out of it. Unless it gets dropped out of a plane the moment I accept and I get suddenly crushed by millions of coins

There is literally no downside to this.

There could potentially be a downside, but it's still a likely benefit to accept.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't bother me if I have to buy something for £10,000 in pennies. What will they do, tut?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So wait, I either choose to have a 1 million dollars in pennies... or choose not to have it?

Why the hell would I not take the pennies? Even if it'd be a major inconvenience, it's still better than being dumb enough than not at least try to do something with it

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
I would pay someone 10k to wrap the pennies for me. Once they are all wrapped I am set.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah absolutely. I'd buy a house with it or something, so that inconvenience would be a really short term issue.