• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 2, 2017
I bought a new PS Vita off eBay since mine got dreadful joystick drift. seller describes it in the ad as 'in excellent condition' 'would make a lovely Christmas present' so it arrives and

DnJ6R2W_d.webp

so I've requested a return, and the seller is saying yes, that is 'excellent condition'. It's not right?

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Yeah that is not 'excellent condition.' That would imply there isn't noticeable scratch marks or dirt.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I never shop on eBay, I think OP is right in their demand, what options do they have if the seller doesn't agree?

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
One of the top Vita sellers on eBay lists "Excellent" condition as "Very good condition with Nomal signs of use. There may be scratches on the back side."

did you order from that seller OP 🤔

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
One of the top Vita sellers on eBay lists "Excellent" condition as "Very good condition with Nomal signs of use. There may be scratches on the back side."

did you order from that seller OP 🤔
I don't think so. According to the ad which is still up

This listing is for a ps vita console with charging cable and 3 games. The console is in excellent condition as our son has barely played with it. The games are:-

FIFA 15

The Ratchett and Clank Trilogy and

Tear away

The console is in its original box with booklets.

This would make a lovely Christmas present.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not great but I don't think it's worth returning over and I doubt you're gonna find many better these days

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's "fair" condition at best. I've had my Vita since launch, and it isn't even close to being scratched to hell like that.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
What are we drawing the line over what would be as good as new and excellent. You must have expected some marks.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
What are we drawing the line over what would be as good as new and excellent. You must have expected some marks.
Well maybe some mild marks, but when it's described as excellent and the seller deliberately didn't put a photo of the back of the console, maybe I should have expected it to look like the cat just went at it.

suedester

Oct 25, 2017
It needs a good clean but it doesn't look too bad to me. I wouldn't return it assuming there aren't any significant scratches in the screen.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
What did you pay for the Vita? See if you can get the marks off yourself, but it is frustrating to see those marks on the back when they said 'like new'.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
get it graded by CEX or GAME and ask the seller which of those grades he'd expect the Vita to receive, if they give a lower grade then you can use that as evidence

uk.support.webuy.com

How does CeX grade items?

The products we buy and sell are graded according to their cosmetic condition, functionality and the accessories they come with. All phones, tablets and hardware (excluding consoles) are graded as one of the following: A - Mint - These pro...

would expect him to say it was a B, but CEX to grade as a C

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Well maybe some mild marks, but when it's described as excellent and the seller deliberately didn't put a photo of the back of the console, maybe I should have expected it to look like the cat just went at it.

that's a risky purchase with no back side photo. Just curious, but what is the feedback rating of the seller? I assume it was really cheap right?

edit: I see the price you posted now. I guess if it was a good deal, you now know why.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
That'd be a C grade (the lowest) under Game's grading system at any of the better run stores, the screen is fine but the back immediately disqualifies it from being excellent condition and straight down to acceptable. If the seller didn't photograph or detail the damage in the listing they haven't get a leg to stand on, eBay will rule in your favour. I'd also play on the "this was for a gift, the listing said it'd be suitable but this clearly isn't" angle.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
That looked like my old vita before I sold it and wrote condition as seen as photo. Never would say that's excellent as it's clear it's not been properly maintained (given my experience of mine). Back panel isn't much of an issue though, the front is what matters more but should have probably asked about whole image of the device before buying, if you got it for cheap though, that's not really too fussed but if it's bad, not that cheap then would refund.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
My launch Vita isn't close to that bad. And I once dropped that thing out a two story window.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
the back being like that is normal over time. its glossy plastic on a mobile device. would have marked it good condition tho if the front is otherwise flawless

JackSwift

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It goes Pristine, Excellent, Very Good, Good.

Pristine is brand new with tags/box
Excellent is brand new without tags/box
etc.

What you bought is Good condition, with moderate wear and scratches.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
For me if the thing works and has light scratches on it its not even worth returning honestly. Is this gonna be like a collectors item only that doesn't get played? Because otherwise I dont know why the scratches are such a big deal

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I only buy used electronics from Swappa.

They focus on phones but also do video games systems, computers, tablets, etc.

The pictures you upload get checked and so far I've had nothing but good experiences buying and selling from that site.

Nov 14, 2017
Had this happen to me with a phone and DS Lite, and it's why I generally don't buy from listings that put some sort of grading on the item anymore. More often than not, the seller's grading is higher than what most people would grade it at.

No, that's not even approaching "excellent condition". It's "acceptable". Even if the front of the device is in good or great condition, the damage on the back disqualifies it immediately.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Yeah, if that was the condition and the description, I would say it's fair to push back on this. For 'Excellent' and no specific mention of a large scratched area on the back, I would expect a Vita with a few minor scuffs and some crumbs/dusties in the shell seams, but not that. That's should have been mentioned and/or pictured in the listing, or it should have been listed as fair/good. The seller acted like they played it a handful of times and otherwise it's been sitting in a closet; the thing's definitely well used, or at the very least, well-traveled in a backpack full of rocks or something.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
When buying and selling words like "excellent" mean almost pristine. Cards have a standard. Cars have a standard. Why would you not expect a similar standard when buying a major electronic device? The difference can mean hundreds if not thousands in the price of an item. If that Vida were a car I'd describe its condition as "fair."

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I only buy used electronics from Swappa.

They focus on phones but also do video games systems, computers, tablets, etc.

The pictures you upload get checked and so far I've had nothing but good experiences buying and selling from that site.
+1 for swappa. Crazy no one knows about it really. Gold standard for buying electronics.