• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Why are people's expectations for Nintendo's output so much higher than for Sony and Microsoft? Like they put out Smash *two* months ago, it's not like they've been doing nothing and this is an extended drought

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why are people's expectations for Nintendo's output so much higher than for Sony and Microsoft? Like they put out Smash *two* months ago, it's not like they've been doing nothing and this is an extended drought
Third party games skew in favor of Sony/Microsoft/PC. If you don't include big titles like KH3, RE2R, Sekiro, Metro Exodus, Anthem, DMCV, Division 2, etc., then you could also say PS4/Xbox have a pretty empty start in the year as well.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If AAA are what people care about then Switch will always disappoint as it's limited by its form factor. The mid range games that used to be the staple of handhelds are digital titles now.
I don't agree to be honest. We're already seeing plenty of third party exclusives for Switch, and in the future, games will be designed with Switch performance in mind because it's selling so well. Even the second half of this year has pleeenty.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
The onus is on Nintendo to provide a stready-stream of software for the Switch, given they can't rely on third parties in the way Sony and Microsoft can. Their strategy in 2017 to release one game per-month, even if it was something relatively low-profile like Pokken Tournament DX, was perfect. I'm personally a little disappointed that Feb and May have nothing substantial planned for release, although I'm not ruling out another Direct next month in which a smaller title is revealed for that May slot. Presumably this is when Fire Emblem was supposed to release.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree to be honest. We're already seeing plenty of third party exclusives for Switch, and in the future, games will be designed with Switch performance in mind because it's selling so well. Even the second half of this year has pleeenty.

Not to mention, games like Zelda BotW and Mario Odyssey are just a different breed of AAA. I would say the previous poster may be right if they mean Western AAA releases, because I doubt that's going to change drastically - Switch won't get Cyberpunk, or Anthem, etc. it will however get more and more big Square Enix titles among others.

I'm sure I'll get laughed at but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Square has decided to fit Switch into their plans for FFVII R at this point. KH3 could have happened if it was part of the discussion from the beginning, but FFVII R had been moving slow enough that maybe they've worked out a way to be included.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The onus is on Nintendo to provide a stready-stream of software for the Switch, given they can't rely on third parties in the way Sony and Microsoft can. Their strategy in 2017 to release one game per-month, even if it was something relatively low-profile like Pokken Tournament DX, was perfect. I'm personally a little disappointed that Feb and May have nothing substantial planned for release, although I'm not ruling out another Direct next month in which a smaller title is revealed for that May slot. Presumably this is when Fire Emblem was supposed to release.
It would make a lot of sense for them to market a Switch port of Detective Pikachu to release alongside the movie but no doubt they would have announced that during this Direct if it were coming.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
first half of this year is poor on switch as was the entirety of 2018 for my tastes. second half of this year looks great tho, especially Astral Chain. these droughts are why i own more than just a switch i guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
That's assuming none of that gets delayed. Fire Emblem is already on its second delay.

They finally gave it a release date, though. It's pretty rare for Nintendo to delay a game after that. I don't think they would have told us July 26 if they weren't confident they were going to hit it. It's a little different from, say, Yoshi being a vague "2018" release until it wasn't.

That said, I do think it's a little intriguing that Nintendo gave us specific dates for two July titles and yet left Mario Maker 2, which is releasing earlier, with only a non-specific "June" release window.

OP
OP
unicornKnight

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Yeah, year 3 is REALLY gonna suck with only the dregs of, um, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Yoshi, Super Mario Maker 2, Fire Emblem, Zelda Links Awakening, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, and everything else they haven't announced yet. Real drought of a year.

Come on people.
Agree, my topic was very specific about the first five months. After June I won't be able to keep with all these releases.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017

We are seeing some but I wouldn't say plenty. Maybe I'm just a pessimist but I think the Switch will continue to not get most third party games day and date with other platforms, especially when the next gen consoles come out. The number of exclusives from Japan should increase but there won't be that many AAA releases.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
What's the concern here?

Sony: last game was Spider-Man (September last year) next game is days gone (April this year)

Xbox: last game was forza 4 (October last year) next game is crackdown 3 (today!)

Nintendo: last game was smash (September last year) next game is Yoshi (March)

It's all pretty even.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
What's the concern here?

Sony: last game was Spider-Man (September last year) next game is days gone (April this year)

Xbox: last game was forza 4 (October last year) next game is crackdown 3 (today!)

It's all pretty even.

Actualy Smash was in December (not counting NSMBU DX from January), so we are getting new Nintendo game around 3 months after Smash Bros.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
There's a shitload of stuff in the 2nd half of the year, if your only gaming device is a Switch then frustrating but for most people here a complete non issue. I.e. perfect to start a thread about.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's the concern here?

It's all pretty even.
1st party exclusives aren't as important for Sony and XBox since they have highly touted 3rd party games. We (hopefully) aren't counting up first party exclusives just for arbitrary fun.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Shit you're right, why did I think September? So yes - very frequent releases. Pokemon before that of course

-Oct 2018: Super Mario Party
-Nov 2018: Pokemon Lets Go
-Dec 2018: Smash Bros Ultimate
-Jan 2019: NSMBU DX
-March 2019: Yoshi's Crafted World
-April 2019: Box Boy! + Box Girl!
-June 2019: Mario Maker 2
-July 2019: Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
As someone who doesn't care for Smash it's definitely been a rough patch. The last major (non-indie) release I picked up was Xenoblade 2, which I just thought was good, not great. Thankfully the promise of a hybrid system seems to be bearing fruit in the second half of the year.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
It's impossible for any company to make up third party with first party alone.

Expectations of a game per month is insane. That's completely ignoring how modern game development, that takes 2-3 years (more in the case of new engines), works.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people acting all pissy that people are asking for a better balanced year? I'm pumped for the last half of the year but the games could have been spread out better. Bigger games in the first half of the year would be a welcome sight

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
If Metroid prime trilogy really is ready to go, that makes it much worse. They really can't give us a port in april or May?

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Where are all the people who defended the weak 2018 by saying 2019 was going to be gangbusters?

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
Where are all the people who defended the weak 2018 by saying 2019 was going to be gangbusters?
2019 will be great. Once summer hits it's gonna be pretty much nonstop til the end of the year from Nintendo. What's Sony and Microsoft got right now? Oh yeah about the same as Nintendo except we at least know what's coming from Nintendo the rest of the year

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
First quarter is really bad last year was average too im surprised they made the same mistake.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

uh, it is. The first five months being slow doesn't change that. From June to the end of the year, the Switch is fire. It would be nice if releases were more evenly spread out, but 2019 will be an amazing year regardless.

OP
OP
unicornKnight

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
What's the concern here?

It's all pretty even.
Point of the thread was never to compare with other platforms but I think it's worth noting that Switch is barely two years on the market while Xbox and PS4 are 5+ years.
As others said, Switch first year spoiled us with many releases almost every month. I made the topic to discuss the matter, not to convince anyone, I actually find it nice that many people think that I'm overreacting and the situation isn't that bad after all.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If we've got 1, 5, 10, or 20 people at ERA that are feeling the burn, you think it stops there? ERA has its own bubble, but pretending like it's self contained and others outside of ERA couldn't share the sentiment seems silly. Nintendo remains unconcerned and it's working for them anyway. Which is why I suggested this group get another platform to game on until there's something on the Switch that they wanna play.

ERA or any game enthuaist sites is as bubble as possible especially regarding Nintendo offering.

1-2 Switch
Super Mario Party
NSMBUDX
Mario Kart 8 DX
Kirby Star Allies
Pokemon Lets Go

Is called by Era that they will flop due to crazy amount of reason.

And what happen is all of those games goes to sell multiple millions showing how small actually bubble like ERA and how often it dont matter in the grand scheme of things.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
This. I havent even had the opportunity to play fucking smash and got lots of games in my backlog.

If you buy a nintendo system just for nintendo games, then it would be logical to expect that you have more than one system right? Kingdom hearts/RE2/other third parties might be your thing, i dunno.

If your only system is the switch then i bet lots of the third party/rereleases/remasters are new to you so you shouldn't feel a drought. Last year i played undertale and it was a new game for me.

So the only people who would complain about no games are the ones who only play nintendo games in one platform and nothing else, which is a small minority imo.

This is pretty much 100% me, I have the Switch along with my PS4 and PC. I still have a few single player PS4 games I want to beat, and have Switch games I want to buy. If someone is running the Switch as their primary console with Nintendo 1st party being the frontline of their catalog. Then this will be a rough year early on. I think overall the available 1st party titles are still pretty strong.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
As someone that got a Switch on Christmas, I have way to much stuff to play until June.
I got the Switch since launch and still didn't catch up. Need to check out ToV, FF9, and whatever else I missed, and I still playing Smash and my niece just got through the second dungeon of BOTW. We will be good for awhile.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Do you mean first person games or first party games?

If the former, this is just how things are. It's the same way Sony doesn't release a lot of sidescrollers, or Microsoft doesn't release a lot of bright, colorful titles. First person is just not Nintendo's thing.

If the latter, I suppose it's Mario Maker 2 in June, followed by Link's Awakening later this year..

Meant first party.

There's been no major first party brand new single player game sine xenoblade 2. Or am I missing something?

It's bizarre given the massive success of zelda and mario.b

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Yeah, it's kinda weird. I thought wih the consolidation of their efforts each year would be like that first one. I guess the teams that didn't go through HD growing pains on Wii U are experiencing that now as they move from 3DS development?

Good news is that this time around there is plenty to play from other publishers

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
1st party exclusives aren't as important for Sony and XBox since they have highly touted 3rd party games. We (hopefully) aren't counting up first party exclusives just for arbitrary fun.

Point of the thread was never to compare with other platforms but I think it's worth noting that Switch is barely two years on the market while Xbox and PS4 are 5+ years.
As others said, Switch first year spoiled us with many releases almost every month. I made the topic to discuss the matter, not to convince anyone, I actually find it nice that many people think that I'm overreacting and the situation isn't that bad after all.

I think we have to compare to other platforms if we're making judgements about what is a reasonable amount of first party games to expect. It's true that it matters less for Sony/Xbox because they get more third party but Sony has like 12 studios worldwide and still have a pretty consistent output to Nintendo. That tells me that asking more from Nintendo is not reasonable.

Switch 1st year did spoil us, and I think that's because we got a lot of games that had been in production for Wii u and then switched (pun intended) plus Nintendo just sensibly went big in the first year.

One game a month just isn't sustainable in the long term

m.i.s.

Oct 30, 2017
England, UK
They have limited resources, the scope of their games has risen and increasing staff is difficult, slow and expensive. Even some years ago visiting Japan and talking to a few people in AAA company and their mobile division there, the Japanese industry struggles with finding developers. The problem is apparently especially difficult in the AAA section as many developers prefer working on mobile (and to them, more so in Japan than over here). Hiring is also quite expensive in games, and lead-times are easily 6+ months for certain roles, not to mention the time it takes to onboard people in these projects and to new companies.

All of those factors combined with the fact that some of Nintendo's bigger productions ended not that long ago (unfortunately 1-2 years isn't your average production cycle length at all) means that Nintendo simply can't currently push too many big titles out of the door (and the pressure to deliver might only help create failed projects, as nonetheless the expectation is that not all games that end up in production, get to end and ship).

Thanks for this.

I do wonder if Nintendo's potential size [employee headcount] can only scale to a certain number and they are unable to grow further without affecting it's culture and ethos.

Me, from another thread -

I saw a thread in the other place [and did a quick google search] that N''s company headcount is just 5501. By contrast, Ubisoft's employee headcount is 40% greater than N's. Consider that, a platform holder's employee headcount is 40% less than that of a competitor that doesn't have any platforms to support at all. EA's employee headcount is just slightly more than Ubisoft. With those kind of meagre resources it's no wonder that N have struggled with handheld and console development and the transition to HD. It's just a poverty of ambition and a thoroughly complacent senior management team at NCL.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/wi...re-becoming-hard-to-ignore.49327/post-9371407

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In any case, N can take three approaches to the "hybrid" / combined handheld and console paradigm.

1 - Target a handheld development pipeline and upscale to TV [eg gameboy games scaled to TV using a Super Gameboy adaptor on SNES or Gameboy Player on Gamecube}.

2 - Target a console development pipeline and scale to handheld [eg PC Engine and PC Engine GT where both games are identical but the game is developed for a console as a base target].

3 - Optimise for both handheld and console experiences. Which is what N have targeted for NSW. Takes a lot more development time.

Just for me personally, I don't really care for new and shiny. I would have been happy with just an incremental NEW 3DS like hardware if it means keeping the Japanese on-board and Nintendo producing games faster.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Yeah, but "Nintendo-developed" and "until June" are unnecessary qualifiers, don't you think? There's plenty of great games coming out on the Switch otherwise, and Nintendo's exclusive lineup starting June is going to more than make up for a slower first half of the year.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I mean, there's so much on the eShop that I have a hard time feeling the drought. It'll obviously be different for other people but the break gives me time to clear out my backlog before Sekiro, BoxBoy, and Three Houses. Obviously I would prefer more Nintendo, but they just gave me a free Tetris Battle Royal and the biggest Smash ever, my Switch is getting the most play it's gotten since BOTW.

If Metroid prime trilogy really is ready to go, that makes it much worse. They really can't give us a port in april or May?

It was likely developed as a promo for Prime 4. Why release it now when the game got delayed? It'd sell but it's main goal was likely to catch people up before the new game hit.

Also do we have any definitive proof it even exists? People were super sure about Prime 4 showing up at the Game Awards and then we found out they were starting over.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
crazy how these droughts for half a year are STILL a problem. really thought they'd go away with all resources dedicated to one platform.

at least smash is getting dlc. i guess.

RE2 Remake
KH3
DMC5
Sekiro

Not to mention Apex taking over the non-Switch world.

If Nintendo had 4 big releases like that from Jan-April we aren't having this conversation.

How many of the titles you listed there are first party?

If its not first party then they dont count. Looks like a drought to me.

Welcome to the wonderful weird world where different rules apply for "reasons".

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

of course they can rely on third-parties for the switch. there's a crapload of third-party games on the switch and ones that have done pretty well, and they generally appeal to a different audience than the western developer-focused ps4 and xb1 libraries.

Feb 11, 2018
Do people freak out if MS or Sony go 3 or 4 months without a 1st party title? No, because they have other games by 3rd parties. Nintendo now also has 3rd party games, including big publishers and indies. I get it, the Nintendo crowd has gotten worried if Nintendo doesn't release a game every month because last gen, that's all they had, but it's time to snap out of that.

Also, Captain Toad DLC is Nintendo developed, and New Super Mario Bros just hit, plus new dlc for Smash.
People complain because Nintendo is not getting the same breadth or quality of third party AAA games as the other consoles. Xbox and PS4 dont need as many 1st party games.
Metro exodus
RE2
KH3
Anthem
Divison 2
Apex legends
Sekiro
Far cry
Etc

Nintendo gets so much pressure because they still have poor 3rd party output in comparison

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, there's so much on the eShop that I have a hard time feeling the drought. It'll obviously be different for other people but the break gives me time to clear out my backlog before Sekiro, BoxBoy, and Three Houses. Obviously I would prefer more Nintendo, but they just gave me a free Tetris Battle Royal and the biggest Smash ever, my Switch is getting the most play it's gotten since BOTW.

It was likely developed as a promo for Prime 4. Why release it now when the game got delayed? It'd sell but it's main goal was likely to catch people up before the new game hit.

Also do we have any definitive proof it even exists? People were super sure about Prime 4 showing up at the Game Awards and then we found out they were starting over.

Honestly, I'd even be ok with a piecemeal strategy. Release each game digitally for $20 once a year while we wait for MP4. And then they can collect them all on one cart before MP4 comes out. That gives people time to actually play through these games before 4 comes out and keeps them in the public mind.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Does anybody just game on the switch. It's a complimentary console. A must have one But you also must have another system