• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Played the demo last night. Not a lot of meat to it, which is a shame. It was basically just a standard simple beginner level taste. In fact, I'm not sure it would do much to sell people who are on the fence with it. Still, after completing the demo, which was super adorable btw, we are treated to a taste of what is in store and I feel like it will be well worth a purchase and a solid experience. Day 1 for me. I love me some Yoshi and I'm sure this will be a fantastic game.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I really like the way this game plays but holy hell the music...I just can't get over it. It's so bad. I fear it'll hurt the game for me as music is such a huge part of the experience for me in a platform game. :\

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
The placement of secrets and creativity in this is pure magic, it's easy to see that this comes from the same genius team that made one of my all-time favorite 2D platformers, 'Ganbare Goemon 2' for the Super Famicom.

I have had more fun with this level in the demo that with (the disappointing for my taste), 'Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze'.

Having skipped the Wii U, so I haven't played 'Yoshi's Wolly World', I'm deeply impressed with how they have distilled in a 2D platformer the magic of a 3D Mario sandbox.

In the same way as my favorite 3D Mario entry, 'Super Mario Sunshine', this is a game about the joy of quietly exploring a level, obtaining every collectible. And every small part is included thinking in a creative way of interacting, drawing a smile in your face.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
I'm not sure if I like this ultra zen calming Yoshi experience or not. I'll probably get it on sale down the line. Playing co-op was kinda eh. The Yoshis seem to have a magnetic attraction to ride on each other's backs. In DKC Tropical Freeze, you have to be holding a button to start piggyback riding which works a lot better.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I really wish they stuck with the crocheted look, rather than the felt look. So much visual charm was lost in Yoshi's transition, IMO.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Is this by Good Feel? I was planning to skip the demo and buy the game based on how amazing Woolly World was. My GF and I intend to co-op this one too.

Woolly World is one of my favourite games, and easily my favourite Yoshi game.

Oct 31, 2017
While Yoshi's Island is tied for my number one platformer ever, I super enjoyed this happy and relaxed demo. Nothing but sunshine and cuteness. Seems like a perfect smoke and chill Sunday game.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Is this by Good Feel? I was planning to skip the demo and buy the game based on how amazing Woolly World was. My GF and I intend to co-op this one too.

Good Feel was originally listed as a developer when the game was first announced, but they're conspicuously missing from the title screen on the demo now.

Oct 31, 2017
Yo, I was sleeping on Yoshi but that demo really hit home for me. My girlfriend and I played and I was able to just ride on her back and be a railgun while she explores and platforms. (Mitigates that camera tug of war that accompanies these games.) I'm suddenly really excited for Yoshi, it's adorable and feels really right.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Love the art style and it's fun enough, will be good for my kids. But my lord Yoshi is so annoying when you're aiming the egg throw.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I play primarily handheld and it looked awful there, I won't be picking this up full price anytime soon

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
I really like the way this game plays but holy hell the music...I just can't get over it. It's so bad. I fear it'll hurt the game for me as music is such a huge part of the experience for me in a platform game. :\

It's funny you mention that. I can't even remember the music lol. Now I'll have to play it again to listen. Was it THAT bad? Hopefully the game has some memorable tunes and it's just a rough start to a much better game. I truly believe it will be pretty good.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I always had the feeling that it was very easy. Levels like Kamek Revenge raised the difficulty somewhat but not much.

Nothing that can be compared with Mario or much less Donkey Kong.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong because of the remake, but no it was harder than those other 2 at least when I was kid.

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda hard to describe this but...

Am I the only one who would love to see a slightly more "grown up" themed Yoshi game? Everything about this world is extremely child like/kiddy (not meant as diss in any way) and I'd like to see a game where it's more faithful to a Mario esque world.

Also, even though I chose the second option I felt it was extremely easy. Wooly World wasn't exactly challenging to begin with but that's the thing, I wish they offered some challenge for the people seeking that too.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Yoshi's jump sounds muffled/compressed.
Resolution is horrible, depth of field is a bit insane.

...But at least it's 60fps and I had a fun time playing with my friend.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018

Good-Feel is still listed as the developer on the official Nintendo site. Not sure why they're not mentioned in the demo.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I really liked this demo. Was surprised with how much they were able to do with just one level. Hopefully that mission structure doesn't get repetitive.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Kinda hard to describe this but...

Am I the only one who would love to see a slightly more "grown up" themed Yoshi game? Everything about this world is extremely child like/kiddy (not meant as diss in any way) and I'd like to see a game where it's more faithful to a Mario esque world.

Also, even though I chose the second option I felt it was extremely easy. Wooly World wasn't exactly challenging to begin with but that's the thing, I wish they offered some challenge for the people seeking that too.
I think that the different artistic styles of Yoshi imitating textures and concepts of the real world are precisely to differentiate it from Mario.

If I had the aesthetic of Mario but only with Yoshi would be less interesting. Like, is Yoshi. And his pet is literally a dog called Poochy. It's hard to be cuter than that.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Is it just me or Yoshi's movement when jumping feels very stiff? It's like devs forgot to add more fluidity keyframes to Yoshi, idk. The soundtrack is terrible. Hope it gets better tunes on later worlds. Everything else looks adorable af without being cheesy or annoyingly "cutesy" which is something I didn't liked that much on Wooly World. I think I'm in with this game.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Ive never played a yoshi game before - will the levels get harder and more puzzly? Like the scarcity of eggs or the way you unlock progression through the levels? It was stupidly easy but then so is the first level of captain toad and that ramps up

Handheld performance is so noticeably worse than docked. In docked it looks really good. I dont think ive been able to notice such a disparity between docked and handheld before, definitely not on a first party game. Surprising.

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
The flutter jump is so weird in this demo. It gives you little vertical height, but you can flutter infinitely in the air as long as you like.
Ive never played a yoshi game before - will the levels get harder and more puzzly? Like the scarcity of eggs or the way you unlock progression through the levels? It was stupidly easy but then so is the first level of captain toad and that ramps up

Handheld performance is so noticeably worse than docked. In docked it looks really good. I dont think ive been able to notice such a disparity between docked and handheld before, definitely not on a first party game. Surprising.
It's probably one of the many reasons why this game got delayed.

Oct 27, 2017
If it's not apparent, I'm a huge Yoshi fan, but this demo kind of confirms a lot of fears I have with the game. Seems like they're doubling down on the collectathon aspect of Wooly World, which I didn't really like because what you got for participating in those activities didn't really feel rewarding.

Other than that, it just feels so plain. The music was uninspired, the difficulty almost non-existent (I never really got people who said Wooly World got harder, since it never felt like it did for me), the performance somewhat off at times, both in handheld and docked mode, and it just felt like the controls were sluggish altogether. Overall, it just came across as very boring and empty to me.

Game is still really cute though.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
If it's not apparent, I'm a huge Yoshi fan, but this demo kind of confirms a lot of fears I have with the game. Seems like they're doubling down on the collectathon aspect of Wooly World, which I didn't really like because what you got for participating in those activities didn't really feel rewarding.

Other than that, it just feels so plain. The music was uninspired, the difficulty almost non-existent (I never really got people who said Wooly World got harder, since it never felt like it did for me), the performance somewhat off at times, both in handheld and docked mode, and it just felt like the controls were sluggish altogether. Overall, it just came across as very boring and empty to me.

Game is still really cute though.
WW never becomes difficult to play, it becomes more complicated to get all collectables.

I personally like the concept of "It is easy to see the credits but it takes time and effort to get 100%" in Yoshi

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Yoshi's Island was difficult.
Also one of the most tedious IMO when going for the 100%, which I think Woolly World got right.

I 100%'d this demo, and it feels more like a blending of Woolly World and Captain Toad in terms of it being more exploratory as opposed to platforming. Of course, all we've seen is one stage, so I'm still quite optimistic that we'll see lots of variety and the wide range of challenge in WW.

Oct 27, 2017
WW never becomes difficult to play, it becomes more complicated to get all collectables.

I personally like the concept of "It is easy to see the credits but it takes time and effort to get 100%" in Yoshi

That is true! But a lot of people told me (unfortunately got on Wooly World late because didn't get Wii U until 2016) told me prior that getting through the levels itself would become more difficult. Was pretty excited for that because Yoshi's Story actually was kind of difficult and I appreciated that aspect, but Wooly World did not feel anywhere near close to that.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I wonder if my library will get a copy of this. I noticed last time I was there they had an interesting selection of Switch games, and I never bothered picking up Wooly World so that could be the perfect way to experience this game. Just don't think I have it in me to pay 80CAD.

I loved Epic Yarn but no game since then has gotten me as excited about the crafty/real world aesthetic.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
Will we ever have an Unreal Engine game on Switch that runs at native resolution? Not even Nintendo can make it I just-

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Played the demo last night, I enjoyed it but have really mixed feelings.

Positives:

-Paper arts and craft style looks great, very eye catching.

-Exploring different "layers" of the stage is fun and makes you stop and look at all the lovely little details and elements in the background and foreground which encourages you to think to yourself "Oh hey, can I hit that with an egg too? Is that an area over there that I can visit later if I take a branching path?"

Negatives:

-Resolution/IQ is not as crisp as it should be for a modern HD release. Looks good for the most part docked but still not very sharp, it looks very fuzzy and washed out in portable mode.

-Yoshi's model for the game is dull. It's an arts and crafts game yet they're using a model that looks like the default CG Yoshi render just with a light coating of "fuzz" on it. Shy Guys and piranha plants don't look "crafted" at all either, just regular enemy renders. Really hope you can add Yarn Yoshi to the game as an Amiibo costume.

-I really hope there is much better music not long after the first level because yikes, that track is hot garbage. Tomita's soundtrack for Woolly World was incredible, shame he isn't at Good Feel anymore. Totakas's recycled Yoshi noises are super annoying at this point.

-Can't move while aiming eggs and all egg aiming has to be done manually. I get that part of the reason they are doing this is to encourage aiming eggs at the background and foreground due to the nature of the game, but it still feels off and contributes to dragging down the pace of the gameplay. Eggs are just auto generated, can't spit them at enemies.

-You no longer get a nice, extra boost to your flutter jump after stomping on an enemy and holding down the jump button as in earlier games in the series which was used to enhance harder platforming sections.

-Having to go into the options menu to set the controls to proper SNES style is annoying. This would make sense if you were playing with a Joycon but I was playing with my Pro Controller in docked mode. It seems like there is a supervisor or someone at NCL who is dead set on making sure every 2D game has NES style A for jump as default or some other kind of annoying forced default control quirk that has to be turned off in an options menu (SMB U DX mid air flip set to A/jump unless using the secret option to disable it).

I know it's just the first level but so far it feels like they are going for a much more relaxed, low energy approach to the game compared to the original Yoshi's Island and Woolly World and comes across more like a follow up to Yoshi's Story with a proper collection system. I appreciate the feeling the demo presents of "Hey, take a fun tour of this cool little diorama we created" but not sure how well this will work for an entire game, it mainly made me want to play some Woolly World or original YI. That said I'm going to try to have an open mind and for now will be keeping my pre-order. I could see this being fun as long as later levels have a lot more action which I'm sure they will but so far the demo feels like a step back compared to Woolly World which was just a fantastic game overall where it really felt like they had gotten the series back on track.

On a side note, if anyone from Nintendo is reading this I just want to say it's really awesome of you to provide demos ahead of time for games like this, really appreciate it. :)

Last edited:

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Very enjoyable, delightful demo. I can already feel how the further you get in the more complex the game will become. Looks real nice on my TV as well even with being a 4K set.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
I really wanted to like it, but the music, the sluggishness, the collect-a-thon aspect, it just felt so uninspired to me. The game is beautiful but comparing it to something like Kirby Planet Robobot it just doesn't hold up.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I enjoyed the demo but it is too short and easy to convince me of forking out 60 bucks for it. Well, if impressions of the whole game are extremely positive I might change my mind.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I was afraid of this game being too easy, but I have to say, this demo completely sold me. I fell for the cuteness hard.

It's also funny to me that people hate the music - I love it.

Last edited:

beni12

Oct 25, 2017
Depth of field and lack of AA Make the game more blurrier, specially in handheld mode.