• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
R.I.P. Deep Down lol

I'll give him props for SFIV/SSFIV and for the recent SF titles he was responsible for that created a resurgence in fighting game community. He'll bounce back.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
You can still see Street Fighter IV's influence in how super attacks are presented throughout modern fight games, I think.

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
Good luck for the next adventure.
I wish Street Fighter 6 will come to Xbox , cross play with ps5 and PC include :)

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be real and say if you guys care about the impact of crunch on developers, artists and any other staff working in the video game industry you wouldn't be clapping at this story.

You'd be sad that someone who spent 30 years working for a company has left and the headline for some is whether the next game is going to be better than the last.

If you say you care about crunch and working pressures on people who work in the industry you would care a lot less about whether the next game is going to be any good and a lot more about the welfare of the people that work on them.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
How old is Ono anyways? As in is he old enough to fully retire? It's sometimes hard to tell with some people how old they are.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
street fighter and capcom fighters twitter hasn't retweeted nor posted anything
but harada has

the bad blood is probably very real

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I always enjoyed seeing Ono on stage, and could tell he really loves Street Fighter. His Shoryuken will be missed.

I actually got his signature (along with Tokido's) on the cover of my SFV case insert when they came for the NA Last Chance qualifiers back in 2018. Felt great seeing both in person!

Best wishes for him and the series!

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Despite what I tweeted about SF6 (which I stand by is true, and people will find out is more and more true as time goes on), knowing this was coming up soon and everything, I actually don't think Ono should be viewed that negatively. While I'm not super into Street Fighter, I think Ono was a fun public figure at Capcom, and who did do various good for fighting game communities. I'm under the impression he was not always the best manager or decision maker, but to his credit being a producer at Capcom does mean a lot of higher-ups breath down your neck. I hope he lands on his feet & does well wherever he goes. I think with time more people will be able to see the good & bad he did for that community at Capcom. Making games is hard, but he does seem truly passionate for it, that is something I can respect.

I'm paraphrasing what a friend said recently, but in Japan a job is sorta' a social contract. There's some trouble with companies actively firing you, so often they'll demote and shift you around until you quit on your own. That's probably what happened here.

From what I heard he was directing the game.
I'll correct one thing, he was producing, but producing roles at Capcom are a bit weird in the producer can sometimes be who's essentially really "directing", or the director is, but that choice is up to the producer. In SF6's case, he was given another chance to make SF6 succeed, was making most of the big decisions for the project, and some of his decisions lead to the game not being well received internally, so the project was given another year, a new manager to make the decisions, and Ono go demoted again.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Well, that makes sense. He was demoted twice and he made expensive mistakes post SF4 wiith Panta rhei, deep down, MVCI, etc.

That he wanted to go back to team fight after the failure of SFxT (and its stupid gem system) is surprising.

I hope SF6 can be salvaged...

Oct 27, 2017
Despite what I tweeted about SF6 (which I stand by is true, and people will find out is more and more true as time goes on), knowing this was coming up soon and everything, I actually don't think Ono should be viewed that negatively. While I'm not super into Street Fighter, I think Ono was a fun public figure at Capcom, and who did do various good for fighting game communities. I'm under the impression he was not always the best manager or decision maker, but to his credit being a producer at Capcom does mean a lot of higher-ups breath down your neck. I hope he lands on his feet & does well wherever he goes. I think with time more people will be able to see the good & bad he did for that community at Capcom. Making games is hard, but he does seem truly passionate for it, that is something I can respect.

I'm paraphrasing what a friend said recently, but in Japan a job is sorta' a social contract. There's some trouble with companies actively firing you, so often they'll demote and shift you around until you quit on your own. That's probably what happened here.

I'll correct one thing, he was producing, but producing roles at Capcom are a bit weird in the producer can sometimes be who's essentially really "directing", or the director is, but that choice is up to the producer. In SF6's case, he was given another chance to make SF6 succeed, was making most of the big decisions for the project, and some of his decisions lead to the game not being well received internally, so the project was given another year, a new manager to make the decisions, and Ono go demoted again.
I see.

Thanks for correcting me.

Deleted member 19293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whatever Yoshinori Ono's faults as a developer (and I'm certainly not one to criticize development as that's not something I've been a part of), his enthusiasm for what he did and the communities around it were undeniably a part of the reason for the success that they saw. I think game development and communities as a whole would be better off if everyone tried to match that and enjoyed themselves the way he seemingly did. No idea if the rumors about Street Fighter VI are true, but if they are, I wish he had a better send-off than this.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, 30 years isn't something to scoff at. It's sad that things didn't quite work out with SFVI, but I still wish Ono the best of luck!

He won't be out of a job for long.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I always enjoyed seeing Ono on stage, and could tell he really loves Street Fighter. His Shoryuken will be missed.

I actually got his signature (along with Tokido's) on the cover of my SFV case insert when they came for the NA Last Chance qualifiers back in 2018. Felt great seeing both in person!

Best wishes for him and the series!
I got mine at, i wanna say, SDCC 2017. Met him two more times at E3 in the following years.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
His rep has certainly been challenged over the years (I personally would like to try his SF6)

But he saved fighting games. Full stop.

This narrative is simply wrong and reflects an era of a Capcom fighter-centric FGC, that everyone should be glad we've moved on from.

Ono saved Street Fighter. That's it. 2D fighters if we're being very generous.

Tekken, DoA, SC etc were doing just fine before SFIV.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017

I'll agree that when it came to community hype and connecting with fans, he was on another level. There hasn't been other Capcom higher ups people even know.

Oct 27, 2017
I was just corrected by Dusk:

So yeah, he was in a high position during the dev time.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Oh wow, sad news but not all that surprising considering the rumors and his underwhelming projects after SF4. I hope he sticks around the scene somehow, I've yet to meet the guy.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Best of luck to him on his future endeavors. Wasn't the biggest fan of the direction he took after SF4 but you could tell he genuinely cared about the community.
Darkstalkers is never coming back.

fuck

F U C K
I never believed it was coming back under Ono leadership anyway. How long had it been since that tease?

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
Gonna be real and say if you guys care about the impact of crunch on developers, artists and any other staff working in the video game industry you wouldn't be clapping at this story.

You'd be sad that someone who spent 30 years working for a company has left and the headline for some is whether the next game is going to be better than the last.

If you say you care about crunch and working pressures on people who work in the industry you would care a lot less about whether the next game is going to be any good and a lot more about the welfare of the people that work on them.

If you're concerned about crunch, you should be way more worried about labor than management.

If ono was turning these games into development hells, then a more effective director is probably going to ease the load on the actual workers.