• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how long the timed exclusivity will last and if they'll go through the same drip-feed releases on PC as well. Perhaps by the time the 2nd part is ready, both will release at the same time. Hopefully at least.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Do the other Sector's not count? We could get something completely different from them. Also we could get more floors from Shinra HQ to explore. Maybe I'm just being too optimistic.

The other sectors are all slums too. There is no variation. You're not gonna have some part of the city that's a verdant, lush wilderness because Midgar is a rotten husk of a town.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Do the other Sector's not count? We could get something completely different from them. Also we could get more floors from Shinra HQ to explore. Maybe I'm just being too optimistic.

I'm sure the upper parts of the city will be loaded with diversity. Parks, lakes, who knows?

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's one dungeon, and technically the final dungeon of the game at this point. And it's still all metal corridors.

Oh its the final dungeon in the remake? Cool. Could you break down the story from the remake for us? While you're at it could you use your ability to see the future to fire off some lotto numbers?

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that Midgar all looks like what we've already seen. There's no forests, no lakes, no unique architecture. It's all slums and sewers. There's nothing else of value that can be squeezed out of it aside from the upper city, and the upper city being a playable area wouldn't really change the game.

The only thing that would change things up is LEAVING the damn city.
Nah I'm not sure about that. After seeing the camera pan back on Aeris during the trailer yesterday Midgar's size is crazy. Yeah there's no forests, lakes and such but not everything is going to look exactly the same. There's ways to make things more diverse visually without taking away what Midgar itself is.

I think you just don't believe they can do it. I mean they wouldn't make this entire game look like the same coordinator from beginning to end. Even XIII didn't do that lol.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The other sectors are all slums too. There is no variation. You're not gonna have some part of the city that's a verdant, lush wilderness because Midgar is a rotten husk of a town.
aaU8fns.png

NsOwwXz.png

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love how everyone is saying were whining when square took 5 years to make less than 10% of the game and just admitted it had no clue how many more games would be necessary to finish this. And being honest about it isnt the problem. Any rational person following this already knew they weren't sure what they were doing with this remake, all they did was say it out loud.

If it takes you this long why are you adding extra content? Just focus on the main game and getting it out in less than 10 years.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Real question. Why are some people furious about this? Which one of these is right?

Do people want to have an idea? Say as in if they said "5 games" that'll make them happy?
Do people just want to experience specific parts of the game in remaked form and those parts might be held off now?
Do people not want a fully realized brand new remake with all of their ideas and instead a 60-100hr long RPG with new graphics? Even if it cuts some of their ideas out?
Do people just wanna whine?

I'm curious because I don't get it.

How popular exactly are episodic games. Even ones which are good people get annoyed when they are delayed. This is a full game in which we know the full story and it will be at least 2 years or more between the releases. Yes if I buy something I want to have an idea of when the whole thing will be finished and released otherwise I would have spent 100s of dollars on the vapour ware that is Star Citizen.

Why would I want to pay over 180 or more dollars for a prettier version of a game I've already played with added stuff I never asked for and find out subsequently that the ending is never released. You dont have to get it, but you must understand surely its not just because people want to whine.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Basically he's saying "we're putting everything we have into the first game, and we're planning the second game but we dont have a definitive number yet".

Originally i was super taken aback seeing the headline, but the article makes a lot more sense in context of what Kitase was talking about

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
How popular exactly are episodic games. Even ones which are good people get annoyed when they are delayed. This is a full game in which we know the full story and it will be at least 2 years or more between the releases. Yes if I buy something I want to have an idea of when the whole thing will be finished and released otherwise I would have spent 100s of dollars on the vapour ware that is Star Citizen.

Why would I want to pay over 180 or more dollars for a prettier version of a game I've already played with added stuff I never asked for and find out subsequently that the ending is never released. You dont have to get it, but you must understand surely its not just because people want to whine.
Man I think this is a big thing that a lot of people are thinking about. It's not an episodic game as in a Telltale game. It's a long FF rpg who's story ends at the Escape of Midgar portion that so happens that we know what else happens afterwards that they're planning. It's like Gears 1. Yeah they said Gears was a new franchise and you don't know what'll happen in Gears 2 but that doesn't mean that you won't purchase it if you know eventually Gears 2 is dropped.

People are taking the episodic game thing as if this is going to be a short game when everything they've been saying is the opposite. This is probably going to be a standard FF game in game length. You also said something just now which pretty much answered my question
"for a prettier version of a game I've already played with added stuff I never asked for"
You want the old FF7 game which is exactly the same but with new graphics rather than a completely brand new remake. This just isn't your game then given they said they'd be fleshing stuff out and it wouldn't be that. Even if they released the other games next year that wouldn't fit your criteria.

Lastly nah, I'm not saying you are but some people clearly whine about everything on this forum and you know that's true. This is the internet bruh let's be serious lol.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Is this supposed to be a counterpoint? It looks horribly bland and dull. We don't need more dead industrial nightmare city.
Who is "We"? Because people know the story and universe of FF7.... Midgard included... And want it remaked. If there are fans enough to suport this project, why it bothers you so much? Let Square do what they want and the market will decide.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
If it takes you this long why are you adding extra content? Just focus on the main game and getting it out in less than 10 years.

Because JRPGs like FFVII were largely representative rather than 1:1 as modern design tends to dictate. Fans at least seem to want a modern version, and the creators want to do that modern version also. That necessitates content creation. Back in the PS1 days a hallway or one road could represent an entire city or a massive building. The world map is kind of the ultimate example of representative design. Nowadays that's just not how things work. And you can't just shove in an entire city and call it a day. You need to keep the pacing fun, so that might necessitate extra scenarios. Or a lot of wasted design.

Then there are also narrative questions of pacing, too. You need things to end at a logical point. You need things to climax logically, and that becomes different once you start fleshing out a city. Sure maybe they could put in more story but it wouldn't feel like a good ending. Or it would mess with the pacing and feel more like a part of a whole rather than a full game.

I'm not saying SE will be doing this perfectly. God knows with their track record I'm a sceptic. Maybe the content they add won't make sense. Maybe it'll still be poorly paced. I don't know. But these things don't magically fix themselves when you try to bring a game to modern design.

Now yes they could do what's essentially a re-paint sort of remake. Something like Link's Awakening, where it's just new graphics over what's largely the same maps, designs, characters, pacing, etc. But we all knew that wasn't what they're doing. That was obvious from the beginning. A lot of people seem to want the modern AAA version of this game but with t he release schedule and pricing of a re-paint version and that doesn't really work.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
Real talk, what other game remade would necessitate it being split into multiple parts like this? This case with FFVII Remake is unprecedented.
Yeah, my personal opinion is that they should have remade the character models and world environments, but kept the same gameplay, perspective, etc...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Who is "We"? Because people know the story and universe of FF7.... Midgard included... And want it remaked. If there are fans enough to suport this project, why it bothers you so much? Let Square do what they want and the market will decide.

The problem isn't remaking Midgar. It's dragging it out way past the point of it actually helping the game be a good game because they're scared of implementing the actual game world.

30 hours of metal corridors does not a good game make. It makes FFXIII.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The more they talk about the length of this project the more I get Xenosaga flashbacks lol

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Bullshit, of course they know. They just don't want to say at the moment, likely becausethey want to focus all marketing and eyes toward just part one for now.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me wonders if I should wait in regards to getting the first game on PS4 since I would almost guarantee the next chapters/parts/whatever you want to call it will be on PS5.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
Figured they were going to be on that fuckery after they decided to set all of Part 1 in freaking Midgar.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man I think this is a big thing that a lot of people are thinking about. It's not an episodic game as in a Telltale game. It's a long FF rpg who's story ends at the Escape of Midgar portion that so happens that we know what else happens afterwards that they're planning. It's like Gears 1. Yeah they said Gears was a new franchise and you don't know what'll happen in Gears 2 but that doesn't mean that you won't purchase it if you know eventually Gears 2 is dropped.

People are taking the episodic game thing as if this is going to be a short game when everything they've been saying is the opposite. This is probably going to be a standard FF game in game length. You also said something just now which pretty much answered my question

You want the old FF7 game which is exactly the same but with new graphics rather than a completely brand new remake. This just isn't your game then given they said they'd be fleshing stuff out and it wouldn't be that.

Lastly nah, I'm not saying you are but some people clearly whine about everything on this forum and you know that's true. This is the internet bruh let's be serious lol.
Why are they making a full rpg per release that will take them this long by adding extra content instead of just focusing on the og gam
Because JRPGs like FFVII were largely representative rather than 1:1 as modern design tends to dictate. Fans at least seem to want a modern version, and the creators want to do that modern version also. That necessitates content creation. Back in the PS1 days a hallway or one road could represent an entire city or a massive building. The world map is kind of the ultimate example of representative design. Nowadays that's just not how things work. And you can't just shove in an entire city and call it a day. You need to keep the pacing fun, so that might necessitate extra scenarios. Or a lot of wasted design.

Then there are also narrative questions of pacing, too. You need things to end at a logical point. You need things to climax logically, and that becomes different once you start fleshing out a city. Sure maybe they could put in more story but it wouldn't feel like a good ending. Or it would mess with the pacing and feel more like a part of a whole rather than a full game.

I'm not saying SE will be doing this perfectly. God knows with their track record I'm a sceptic. Maybe the content they add won't make sense. Maybe it'll still be poorly paced. I don't know. But these things don't magically fix themselves when you try to bring a game to modern design.

Now yes they could do what's essentially a re-paint sort of remake. Something like Link's Awakening, where it's just new graphics over what's largely the same maps, designs, characters, pacing, etc. But we all knew that wasn't what they're doing. That was obvious from the beginning. A lot of people seem to want the modern AAA version of this game but with t he release schedule and pricing of a re-paint version and that doesn't really work.
I didnt ask what was obvious. If they arent able to put this thing out in a reasonable time, even with just the original work, why are they creating more work for themselves that most people werent asking for? It's ridiculous

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
The problem isn't remaking Midgar. It's dragging it out way past the point of it actually helping the game be a good game because they're scared of implementing the actual game world.

30 hours of metal corridors does not a good game make. It makes FFXIII.
But we don't know yet if the expanded plot will be bad..... My instance is wait and see the first part. It will dictate if this project will be worth it. Anyway, I just want to see Bahamut Zero and Knights of the Round in full HD!.... Someday....lol

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are they making a full rpg per release that will take them this long by adding extra content instead of just focusing on the og gam

I didnt ask what was obvious. If they arent able to put this thing out in a reasonable time, even with just the original work, why are they creating more work for themselves that most people werent asking for? It's ridiculous

Because if they made the same damn game, it would be like a PS1 game. They need to expand the game for that, even more if they don't want to cut anything. You're buying a full game which you can spend hours on it, not a 2 hours game. It's a full experience for the first part of the overall story. It's so simple.

ChanceOwen

Oct 25, 2017
There exists a happy middle ground between the heavily dated visuals of the original and trying to recreate the entire world to scale, and this isn't it. They'll never be able to remake the other games now with this ridiculous, unwarranted standard set.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
hqdefaultnhkp2.jpg

They can add some variety with the lower sectors.

Aeris' flowers were unique to her garden and the church because she was tending to them herself. The rest of the lower sectors are all rotten, decrepit slums. That's the entire point of Midgar - it's a skeleton city, bled dry outside of one tiny speck of light generated by Aeris.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
As long as it's not interfering (much) with Final Fantasy XVI's development I'm not even that bothered.

This project is kinda cool even if I feel like it's ballooning in a strange way, but new mainline games are still the main attraction of the series for me.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine we'll see plot sequences get moved around. For example, we'll probably get to hear about the Nibelheim Incident while in Midgar, rather than in Kalm. So in that regard, there may be more than the original 10% of the game taking place in Midgar depending on how they rearrange things.

It'll be interesting to see how they implement the world map in the future games...and it sounds like they're still figuring that part out themselves.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
?
Are you the spokesperson of the whole gaming community?

You don't even know how Midgard will Look and you are already complaining.

We know what it looks like because we've already seen it. The city is dead, that's the whole point of the constant "rotting pizza" references in the original game.

Do you seriously expect them to put actual variety into a town whose entire thing is that it's been bled dry by the reactors and the rich?

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Also saying that the PS1 map was huge is a bit disingenuous since it wasn't to scale with your overworld character. Most locations could be reached in under a minute (barring encounters) just by walking or using the buggy.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
As someone who has backed Shenmue III, let me just say:

Welcome, Square Enix fans. Now you too can experience our pain. Enjoy your stay in hell, waiting for closure to a game that will never, ever come. Ever.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine we'll see plot sequences get moved around. For example, we'll probably get to hear about the Nibelheim Incident while in Midgar, rather than in Kalm. So in that regard, there may be more than the original 10% of the game taking place in Midgar depending on how they rearrange things.

It'll be interesting to see how they implement the world map in the future games...and it sounds like they're still figuring that part out themselves.

Nibelheim as a cold open flashback at the start of Episode 2 would be best

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because if they made the same damn game, it would be like a PS1 game. They need to expand the game for that, even more if they don't want to cut anything. You're buying a full game which you can spend hours on it, not a 2 hours game. It's a full experience for the first part of the overall story. It's so simple.
Its so simple it's going to take them over 10 years to make. The time frame for when this full game releases will be unlike anything weve ever seen. And i love this idea that a remake needs to be this vast and expansive iteration when were getting TONS of remakes that dont require that level of work. Hell RE2 was a ps1 game and didnt feel the need to expand radically on its content, and that game didnt have a quarter of the content that og ff7 did.