• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there still a committee at Square Enix that guides Final Fantasy as a brand?

Is it that famous!? Yeah, it does. It still exists. [Laughs] It's apparently world-famous? With some Yoda character like at the Jedi Council meetings?

Yeah, exactly! Is it like that?

[Laughs] Mr. [Shinji] Hashimoto is the brand manager, so I guess in a sense he is kind of Yoda!

What are those meetings like? Is it producers from Final Fantasy titles who get together to talk about the future – what ideas fit and don't fit for the series?

Obviously, Final Fantasy is a series that has a long and involved past. So, mostly what the committee does is make sure that the assets that make up the series' history and image are preserved. But there's really no element of these people saying, "You can't do this," or "You can't do that."

The committee really exists to make sure – for example, characters like Cloud – if there's going to be some sort of tie-in with a big company, maybe he's in a commercial, it's the committee's position to say, "Oh, he wouldn't say that," or "No, there's no way he'd wear that." Give those sorts of guidelines to protect and manage what we've already laid down.

But as far as new creations, my view of the committee is that it's not there to limit people. We want to make a very open and welcoming base for the producers and directors of any new Final Fantasy games to create whatever they want. There's not going to be anything like, "This is the kind of animal that Chocobos are, and they've always been like that, so you can't do this with them – they would never do that." It's never been like that for the people creating the new games.

Of course, everybody in the committee has different opinions. That's just my opinion. There will be people who say, "No, no, the Chocobo has never done that. Why should it start now?" But my personal attitude is, "Just because a Chocobo has never done that doesn't mean it can't. Why not show people a new side of Chocobos?"

Source: https://www.gameinformer.com/interview/2019/12/18/an-interview-with-final-fantasys-yoshinori-kitase

Do or do not if old

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
"No, there's no way he'd wear that."

louis_vuitton.0.0.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the way Kitase puts it here I'm not entirely clear on what the committee actually does, because we had Lightning shilling Louis Vuitton and Noctis and Gladio shilling Cup Noodle. Kinda seems like the only rule is there are no rules.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the way Kitase puts it here I'm not entirely clear on what the committee actually does, because we had Lightning shilling Louis Vuitton and Noctis and Gladio shilling Cup Noodle. Kinda seems like the only rule is there are no rules.
These tie-ins are fine.

Lightning saying "fuck" or Noctis joining an alt-right group would be no-nos.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
The game is now designed by comite and then by test group...

Amazing. I can imagine all the depresed artists and designers

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
yeah, this is just a marketing team.

and LV is on-brand for an IP like FF. something like FashionNova wouldn't be.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
We already moved on to Lightning´s RL modeling career? Era moves fast:
www.telegraph.co.uk

‘I am proud to be chosen’: Final Fantasy character Lightning on being welcomed into the Louis Vuitton ‘family’

It wasn't only the inclusion of Jayden Smith, the 17-year-old son of actor Will Smith in Louis Vuitton’s new ad campaign that has garnered headlines recently, but the casting of a virtual character too.
My clothes were nothing more than armor to stay alive; "dressing up" was a concept I've never had. Perhaps that makes me an unseemly choice as ambassador. But this experience has opened my eyes. Fashion isn't something you're taught or given, it comes from your own taste and your own choices. It displays the essence of who you are to the people around you.

Said clothes include (she has way worse but this one is the funniest):
2391005-lovable%20moogle.jpg

She also got a breast augmentation to become more "relatable" in XIII-3. Dat game... 6?/10
In conclusion. SE is still a bizarre hellhole of top to bottom mismanagement.

Edit: https://www.dualshockers.com/its-of...job-for-lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii/
Look up other Toriyama interviews for the full effect. He is now a co-director on FF VII Part-1. Shudder.

Last edited:

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is disappointing. FF needs a guiding hand imo. Series that have someone who loves the brand guiding them and deciding on projects seem to do well at Square Enix. FF is too big to have one person doing that but I'd hoped the committee would fulfil that role.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is ... normal. Call it what you want but every major IP has this

May 13, 2019
You forgot the committees other no-nos, such as supplying more than 2 music tracks to massively successful 3rd party tie-ins
I like to believe that SE is like the one game company that doesn't care about Smash at all. Like, everybody else is tripping themselves for the smallest of chances to be included in the best selling fighting game in history.... And SE treats it like a chore they have to put with it and that only deserves the bare minimum.

People also forget how low SE thought the FF brand was around the time they made the committee
They allowed FFXV to happen so... I'm not sure what they're doing exactly.

A game that is now the third or forth (its close) best selling game in the series?

I would be much, much more embarrassed by XIII (and Toriyama's weird, stalker-esque insanity around Lightning) than XV if it were me.

Don't forget Crystal Tools and how big of a bomb 13-3 was

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Ok, I found it:
ka7MD.png

This FF XIII promo video is funnier in context but you may imagine the context yourself.

No one fucks up better than SE in the gaming space! It´s always hilarious. These people, and the man above specifically, killed Front Mission twice. Oh FF VII. Will you ever finish with him in charge? Let´s find out.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
We already moved on to Lightning´s RL modeling career? Era moves fast:
www.telegraph.co.uk

‘I am proud to be chosen’: Final Fantasy character Lightning on being welcomed into the Louis Vuitton ‘family’

It wasn't only the inclusion of Jayden Smith, the 17-year-old son of actor Will Smith in Louis Vuitton’s new ad campaign that has garnered headlines recently, but the casting of a virtual character too.
My clothes were nothing more than armor to stay alive; "dressing up" was a concept I've never had. Perhaps that makes me an unseemly choice as ambassador. But this experience has opened my eyes. Fashion isn't something you're taught or given, it comes from your own taste and your own choices. It displays the essence of who you are to the people around you.

Said clothes include (she has way worse but this one is the funniest):
2391005-lovable%20moogle.jpg

She also got a breast augmentation to become more "relatable" in XIII-3. Dat game... 6?/10
In conclusion. SE is still a bizarre hellhole of top to bottom mismanagement.

Edit: https://www.dualshockers.com/its-of...job-for-lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii/
Look up other Toriyama interviews for the full effect. He is now a co-director on FF VII Part-1. Shudder.
Woah woah woah. Lightning ACTUALLY did a real interview? I'm kinda laughing and am in awe at the same time. Holy shit. My mind is blown.

What a time to be alive.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017

That cup noodle thing was the worst thing I have ever seen. I get that games cost a lot of money but maybe don't blow your fucking budget on a movie and animated series to explain the plot of your fucking video game.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The Cola ad is nothing fam.
b04.jpg

And who can forgot Cloud´s "canon" phone (they are all over the anime):
60b6f9859d4d75213df0f972524f8fca.jpg

FF XV had a timed (!) Assassin's Creed festival inside the game. The Geraldo tie-in in MHW is fun and all but that one was something else. The protagonist of the game literally advertises to your face for 90 minutes streight.

Oct 31, 2017
I would be much, much more embarrassed by XIII (and Toriyama's weird, stalker-esque insanity around Lightning) than XV if it were me.

And if it were me I would be much, much, MUCH more embarrassed by XV, which has the most thin, embarrassing, pathetic excuse of a main story in the franchise by a country mile (I mean... barring like I and III), has tons of balance/camera/targeting issues, and the ultimate priority of the insecure dev team was aping Western RPG's.