• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
nyti.ms

Party Insiders Put Yoshihide Suga on Brink of Being Japan’s Prime Minister (Published 2020)

In an emergency vote restricted to members of Parliament and select delegates, the governing party overwhelmingly backed the leading symbol of continuity from Shinzo Abe’s premiership.
Japan's governing party on Monday anointed Yoshihide Suga, the current chief cabinet secretary, as its choice for the next prime minister, settling on what it saw as a safe pair of hands to grapple with the country's many economic and strategic challenges.
Two weeks after Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said he was stepping down after a record-long tenure, Mr. Suga was overwhelmingly elected as leader of the conservative Liberal Democratic Party during a conclave of members of Parliament and select delegates at a luxury hotel in central Tokyo.
The party handily controls Parliament, virtually guaranteeing that Mr. Suga, 71, will be elected prime minister this week during a special session of the legislature.
Monday's vote put the party's imprimatur on a decision that had been made not by its broad rank and file, but was instead negotiated in the back rooms of Tokyo's political elite, perhaps well before Mr. Abe had even decided to resign late last month.

Mr. Suga became the odds-on favorite to succeed Mr. Abe not long after the prime minister's announcement. A path was cleared for him inside the party when his most serious competitor, Taro Aso, the deputy prime minister and a former prime minister, said he would not stand for election.

On one hand, Aso would've been awful... on the other hand, Suga was the asshole I specifically didn't want when Abe announced his resignation. As I said in the last thread I made on Suga, Japan's press freedom ranking will drop even more with Suga.

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
Ha, Im watching Stranger SS1 from Netflix, I assume the political landscape from that move if true (Korea btw) wont be different much then Japan

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017
He's a major supporter of increasing tourism to Japan, so that's good I guess (let international students back in already, ffs).

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Could it be easier to get rid of him? I remember before Abe there was a revolving door of prime ministers who quit over even the slightest indiscretion.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Could it be easier to get rid of him? I remember before Abe there was a revolving door of prime ministers who quit over even the slightest indiscretion.

We'll see at the election next year around October.

And there's this:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...iplomacy/yoshihide-suga-japan-prime-minister/

Following the move, party factions one after another jumped on the bandwagon to preserve their influence over Cabinet posts and agenda-setting authority. Suga himself does not belong to a faction, something he touts as an advantage but which raises the concern that he might be dragged into a factional power struggle.

"In picking Suga, I think Nikai may be using the time-honored LDP tradition of choosing someone with a relatively weak independent power base in the party who can be trusted to do one's bidding when the time comes to decide who gets which prestigious post in the party and parliament," said Amy Catalinac, an assistant professor of politics at New York University.

"Because a leader with a relatively weak power base would have only gotten to this position because of the votes supplied by the powerful (factions), he will do their bidding, knowing that if he doesn't, they'll withdraw their support and he'll be replaced."

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
It's the Japanese apathy towards politics that keeps people like Abe and his party In power right? Sure I read somewhere that voting is really low there.

Pretty sure souri can mean prime minister so it's more of a play on words than outright mocking accents but hey ho never really a good idea to have in jokes on forums with report buttons lol

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
It's the Japanese apathy towards politics that keeps people like Abe and his party In power right? Sure I read somewhere that voting is really low there.

Pretty sure souri can mean prime minister so it's more of a play on words than outright mocking accents but hey ho never really a good idea to have in jokes on forums with report buttons lol

There's nothing more boring than Japanese politics. It's really like watching paint dry and very status quo.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017

Yeah I'm Japanese those jokes were not ban worthy at all.

They're like Japanese dad jokes honestly.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
We definitely should keep talking about those puns that resulted into bans, yeah.

The way things are going, I don't think he will last. Maybe if Biden wins and the international stage kind of settles down...

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't accent mocking, it was a play on words...

Lozlink

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy that someone actually reported that lmao. This thread is basically doomed since the talks is gonna be 90% about the ban....

Lozlink

Oct 27, 2017
Reporting it is one thing, a mod just trigger happy banning them for a week is something else.
I mean yeah, that's fair. It would've taken a minute google search to realize they weren't accent mocking. Anyways, I'd like to stop the conversation as to not derail the thread, but I think we're way past that point.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I can at least vaguely kinda see that someone might have thought the use of 'aso' was meant to be mocking pronunciation like 'asso'. But even that's a real big stretch, cause even before the context of the name, that's just literally not what they typed.

But I'm not sure how you look at "souri" and think it's mocking pronunciation. People have unfortunately totally made these kinds of shitty jokes for real here, but the only thing I've seen them do is shove -o at the end of things and switch 'l' and 'r', so you'd think that would raise the question that it's probably not actually that...

EDIT: Ah, shit, sorry for derailing further.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno you can talk for days about moderation here (as seen by the feedback threads lol) I'm sure it will get resolved eventually. Hopefully whoever reported feels a bit stupid. Not everyone is as bad as you think.

Anyway yeah Japan does seem similar to the UK at least from a simplistic outsiders view, ruling parties that seem to be able to coast by because of the apathy of voters. I'm not sure how the media affects stuff in Japan though like it does here.

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
They're right wing nationalists.
To expand on this a little bit, a lot of what we in the US would consider left-wing has mostly been adopted here already, namely an affordable national healthcare system and extensive public transit, even in hard-to-reach rural areas. And there's extensive state support for those rural areas. But the majority of Japan is narrow-minded small-c conservative, voting for relative stability above all else, so the Abe administration was able to win regularly because he didn't rock the boat so much. The one exception is when he passed a number of statist laws (collective self-defense and state secrets bills) which were primarily opposed by a group of students called SEALDs, and this group's primary motivation for protest was that they didn't like Japan reverting to militarism - because they enjoyed a mild, consumerist society (of fashion and food). Like I said, small-c conservative.

Anyway, Suga is the worst possible prime minister because he's a statist corporate sexist - he doesn't care about bettering the gender gap through pushing social acceptance of gender equality, he's mainly concerned about an already-present labor crisis, so he's pushed for foreign laborers under the trainee programs that see massive human rights abuses. And he's one of the original backers of the state secrets laws, AND he's known for being a dick to the press, so I wouldn't be surprised if Japan's press freedoms ranking AND gender equality rankings tumbled further during his leadership.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
"Mocking ethnic accents"? Mods shouldn't be able to ban people when they don't know what the fuck they're talking about. Thread derailing or not, this kind of bullshit needs to be called out.

...Souri is japanese for prime minister and a fairly common pun in Japanese (sorry/souri).

Aso is the name of the current vice prime minister. Who is very much also an asshole.

just realized you agreed with me carry on

Last edited:

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is with mods and weird bans about japan? Get a grip, you already lost a Korean member after banning him, unbanning him, and then lecturing him about the issue of comfort women.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
I wonder if the rise of Suga also means the return to the trade-in-your-prime-minister behavior of yore. Abe, and Koizumi way before him, were exceptions to that rule, but prime ministers historically don't stay in the role often in Japan.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the rise of Suga also means the return to the trade-in-your-prime-minister behavior of yore. Abe, and Koizumi way before him, were exceptions to that rule, but prime ministers historically don't stay in the role often in Japan.

On topic, it wouldn't surprise me if Abe miraculously feels better after a little while and becomes PM again.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Apologies for the bans there. After reviewing we agree that we have misread these posts. The bans have been struck from your records.

Also thanks everyone who brought it up to our attention, particularly those who did so through the reports as this ensures we get them.
Yahoo! And no problem we are all human (and obscure pubns could use explaining maybe 🤔 ). Would have accepted a 3 day ban for a corny dad joke but this is better, thanks moddies 🤝