• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 25, 2018
Yeah, the main people behind the anti-mask protests in Ireland unsurprisingly are big peddlers of it (as well as being just terrible people).
You also have stuff like this where its clear the people who buy into it are uninformed on a lot things (Belfast also had 5G way before that tweet was made).

EVFPRdNU0AE2qIZ.jpg

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I had this same realization a few months ago when I thought the "5G causes covid" stuff was some internet meme.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
What do you think the G stands for?

5G

Think about it

5 governments

US, Russia, China, UK, France

5G

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the main people behind the anti-mask protests in Ireland unsurprisingly are big peddlers of it (as well as being just terrible people).
You also have stuff like this where its clear the people who buy into it are uninformed on a lot things (Belfast also had 5G way before that tweet was made).

EVFPRdNU0AE2qIZ.jpg

Lmao Naomi Wolf has absolutely trashed her credibility and I'm all for it

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
It's morbidly impressive how the internet manages to warp people into being conspiracy theory nut jobs in a short amount of time.

And the grifters will continue on feasting

www.bbc.com

Trading Standards squad targets anti-5G USB stick

Investigators say that vulnerable people need protection from what seems to be a £339 scam.

_112517132_5gbiosphereweb-nc.png

Sometimes I wonder how I feel about these businesses making money out of ignorant people. In this day and age I can find less and less excuses for behavior like this.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
How do we even begin to undo this?
I honestly wish I knew. Combating misinformation is so much more exhausting and difficult than spreading it.

I wouldn't even know what to say to that. Fuck me. I understand how semi-believable conspiracy stuff gets spread around, but stuff like this is so bat shit insane I don't even get it. How do you read that and believe it?
I mean, Qanon exists, and it makes 5G almost seem vaguely sane. lol

But I feel you. It's not even remotely semi-plausible. I maintain that there's only so much that ignorance can explain, and at some point it's just that these people are legitimately fucking stupid. 🤷‍♀️

Zarshack

May 15, 2018
Australia
My mum is also on the "5G is bad, it's untested, scientists say it's dangerous" train. I've had to explain to her that she needs to stop reading shit she doesn't understand. My mum has literally no understanding of even basic physics or science. My mum is also an anti-vaxxer, she's in her early 60s now. Both my parents are really susceptible to this kind of stuff though, they just have an inherent distrust for anything that the government, and big corporations put out. Her reasoning for saying 5G was worse then 4G was because "They're putting up even more towers for it then before which means even more radiation coming from them".

I had to explain to her that the signal from 5G transmitters are at a higher frequency which allows for faster data transfer rates but the trade off is they have a shorter range (and they aren't as good at penetrating through walls and objects), thus they have to install more towers so they can cover the same area. I then explained that the waves produced by 5G can't penetrate through the outer layer of skin on the human body. She kind of acted like she understood now but who knows if she is still spreading rubbish about it. I think there's just a lot of issues with her generation having too much to say about something they have absolutely no idea about, but I think that can extend to all of us.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
In the summer I had family members sending videos of dead birds near mobile phone masts saying it was 5G.

In the UK someone burned down a mobile phone mast

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Despite having the digital library of Alexandria everyone has in their hands, people decided that their research begins and ends with Facebook and YouTube.

They won't believe "MSM" and scientists, but they will believe a meme and a video with ominous music.

Because, and here's the truth, they were always fucking stupid, the internet just gave them validity of their stupidity.

Zarshack

May 15, 2018
Australia
There are legitimate flat-earthers out there too in case you were thinking that was just a joke.

A huge embarrassment for me was a number of years ago having to argue with my dad who bought into flat earth, even when showing him live footage from the space station he just regurgitated the shit from the internet. I think he might not still believe it now since I haven't heard him talk about it again but I barely see him anymore either.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I work in the telecom industry (regulatory/planning/construction) and we were warned by one of the largest telecom companies that we should anticipate and prepare for anti-5G activists demanding for us to turn over our work for them to review (we can't, and won't), and warned us to call the police and provide them info if we're approached by these people in the field. Apparently credible threats have been made such that subcontractors are now being warned. Yay.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
This has been all over the world, but it's very bad in America. We have awful health care so people that might need treatment for mental problems can't/won't get it. We have a media system that sensationalizes "both sides" instead of aggressively calling things out, and a political party that tells people reality is just lies from people that are out to get you. Throw in social media curating people into these bubbles and the normal strain from never ending lockdowns and you got yourself an imploding society.

A friend of mine was spreading this 5g bullshit. Not long after he was so deep in the Q hole he believed celebrities like Chester Bennington, Anthony Bordane, and Chris Cornell didn't kill themselves over depression. They were murdered by the government because they were going to expose a child abduction ring. I tried to pull him out for months but it was honestly like pulling someone out of a cult when his other Q buddies would join in. He killed himself last month.

These things are very real. Even though they get rightfully memed on, they are destroying lives.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
5G fits into existing conspiracy theories too.

One of the chains I saw was that chemtrail planes now spread 'smart dust' which contains COVID & the virus is activated by 5G towers.

Wasn't there a recent survey that estimated that about 18m Americans believe in the lizard suit people?

Yeah, we're fucked.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah people believe that lol.

In 2018 I made a joke about dressing up as a 5G tower for Halloween to really scare people and that got a ton of laughs because we know people like that lol.

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
You would be surprised. I recently made a trip down to Kissimmee FL to get a exercise bike from a guy he seemed cool at first. But then when I got ready to leave he went on a huge religious rant because my hat had a Rock on devil sign lol after that he started saying wifi causes cancer and 5g is going to start causing people to lose oxygen in there lungs. I was waiting for him to tell me the earth was flat.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
This kind of thing is simple.

- Create a conspiracy
- Convince a few people it is true
- Continue spreading the conspiracy through repetative dialogues and falsified information, rely heavily on semitotics, symbolism and anything you can associate with your conspiracy
- Use catch words like "Government" "Control" "Classified" and other tacky shit that makes it seem more serious.
- Create false stories of hearsay and "I heard it from a guy"
- If anyone questions you or the questions get too hard to answer, tell them "Do your own research" or guide them to another fruitballs page

Tah dah! You have your very own conspiracy and you can get all the attention from people you want. Granted they'll be dumber than rocks.

Or you can skip most of these parts by:
- Creating a conspiracy
- Telling your Facebook Aunt.

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
My mum doesn't think it's a mind control thing, but just that it's bad for you.

With how crazy she's got since covid, she's doing pretty well in the Qanon bingo, so it's probably just a matter of time before she thinks it's a device created by the elites.

I mean, the person in charge of covid track and trace in the UK is a former communications company exec, so it adds up.

This is a young at heart, active, 70yr old hippy. She believes in all kinds of spiritual claptrap though, so I guess it was only a matter of time before she fell for stuff that's sinister rather than just nonsense.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Don't you know Biden used the power of 5G to telepathically transfer COVID to Trump??!

5G is made by the devil!!!!

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
Work as a STEM teacher at a high school and we give the students laptops. Had a parent call and yell at me that we're cooking the kids brains with 5G.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
people are stupid OP. This is the power and danger of anti-science in action. We have all the information in the world available at our fingertips and we only go after the shit that gives us the dopamine hits. It takes no effort to fill the airwaves with bullshit because it takes no effort to create bullshit and bullshit is usually an emotional appeal of some sort. You cant disseminate factual information at the same speed nor can it propagate in the same way. This is the hole we're in.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
It's morbidly impressive how the internet manages to warp people into being conspiracy theory nut jobs in a short amount of time.

And the grifters will continue on feasting

www.bbc.com

Trading Standards squad targets anti-5G USB stick

Investigators say that vulnerable people need protection from what seems to be a £339 scam.

_112517132_5gbiosphereweb-nc.png
lmao it got me at "the operating diameter is either 8 or 40 meters". That's so arbitrary. Also several decades of research lol

I honestly wish I knew. Combating misinformation is so much more exhausting and difficult than spreading it.
You can't reason with these people, they are on another planet and only care about how they feel about it.

You can't reason with the unreasonable. They just can't compute that something isn't the way they think it is, to them it doesn't make sense.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I work in the telecom industry (regulatory/planning/construction) and we were warned by one of the largest telecom companies that we should anticipate and prepare for anti-5G activists demanding for us to turn over our work for them to review (we can't, and won't), and warned us to call the police and provide them info if we're approached by these people in the field. Apparently credible threats have been made such that subcontractors are now being warned. Yay.
I hate how so many people working mundane every day jobs get targeted over bullshit like this.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, your not fooling me OP. Everyone who's not a Baa Baa sheep knows that 5G is a tool for the Illuminati! I even heard from a local bagger at my grocery store that Bill gates infiltrated the medical industry to get 5G chips planted in the Covid vaccine to pull a Thanos and kill half the population. I'm refuse to be a part of your system!

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
My cousin and her husband grew up very privileged in wealthy families (not my family) and are quite well off now but they believe Covid is a hoax, 5G is a real Bill Gates thing, they don't vaccinate their kids because vaccines are full of deadly chemicals but they both are pro body builders and inject a ton of steroids.
They push people on Facebook to watch bullshit YouTube documentaries and not get tested.

I.. haven't interacted with that family for years and don't plan to.

Oct 29, 2017
People are morons. Our technology has advanced so quickly but our culture has been stagnant. We haven't developed any teaching or planning on how to address the extra freedom and tools we have, so people are running wild with it.

It's terrifying to think how things are going to play out as global warming gets worse and worse.

If we're already seeing tinfoil hat wearers elected to Congress and people like Trump as president now...

Green

Oct 27, 2017
You laugh, but technically I'm paid to explain to these people why they're wrong. It takes up cycles. Tax dollars are being spent on this.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
this stuff is insane, but there are some legitimate concerns involving 5G and health effects:

Window

Oct 27, 2017
this stuff is insane, but there are some legitimate concerns involving 5G and health effects:

mmWave has been used for point to point wireless for quite a while now, so it's not a new technology. It's also used in medicine and security scanning of people.

You can review the following paper from Rapaport, who's a leading researcher and academic in wireless communication. He's also the author of most students' go to textbook on wireless communication.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Safe for Generations to Come

the IEEE International Committee on Electromagnetic Safety states that for frequencies from 3 kHz to 300 GHz: "a review of the extensive literature on radio-frequency (RF) biological effects, consisting of well over 1,300 primary peer-reviewed publications published as early as 1950, reveals no adverse health effects that are not thermally related" and "no reproducible low-level (nonthermal) effect that would occur even under extreme environmental exposures...harmful effects are and will be due to excessive absorption of energy, resulting in heating that can result in a detrimentally elevated temperature," such that at radiation levels low enough to avoid excessive heating it should be harmless [9], [10]. The use of low-level (less than 1μW/cm2) radiation in mmWave airport security scanners throughout the world on thousands of travelers is performed daily under the widely accepted view that the only potential direct biological effect of the nonionizing radiation in this band is heating [11]. On the extreme of high-intensity human exposures, the U.S. government has investigated the use of very strong mmWave beams to cause heating of skin for the potential purpose of non-lethal crowd control and observed only effects that can be explained by thermal mechanisms [12].

Nonetheless, given the importance of this topic to the wireless industry, we present this literature survey representing the most recent available results related to the biological effects of mmWave exposure, from the well-understood and well-accepted effects of thermal heating to recent reports of nonthermal effects and the attempt to motivate further discussion and research for appropriate emission standards.

Telcos are required to follow strict EME guidelines when deploying cellular towers. The following guidelines have been adopted by many telcos internationally while local regulations catch up to ensure EME safety.

Frankly, that video is really not helping. It's better to trust and consult with subject matter experts on some matters than someone who's just started researching the topic for the sake of a video.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
You are exposed to more dangerous things every day than 5G...all these health scares about it are hogwash...
the point is that the effects aren't well studied. 5G is most likely not a health hazard but I am concerned with the systemic behavior of ignoring or underestimating technological risks.

Frankly, that video is really not helping. It's better to trust and consult with subject matter experts on some matters than someone who's just started researching the topic for the sake of a video.
Anything in particular you object to? She is a well respected theoretical physicist not just some random youtuber. Her point is that there are very few studies on the health effects of the new mm frequency band.

She says that it's reasonable to believe 5G isn't a health risk, but that's not the same as saying we have scientific evidence of its safety - thus being concerned about health effects is also reasonable.

Last edited:

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
At my last job one of my co-workers was one of these crazy people that believes 5G is harmful, and this person is only like 36 years old. Of course they also believe that covid is just a way for the government to try to control people.

Story time. One day at work when we all got there in the morning she comes to us and tells us about her morning. She wakes up to construction across the street, decides to look up the company doing it. She finds out that one they they do is install 5G cell towers or something related. So she goes across the street and confronts the workers about it to make sure they're not doing any 5G related things and tells them how harmful it is. Apparently the workers agreed that its harmful and other BS stuff like that. She was proud to tell this story like she was defending the neighborhood from 5G or something stupid like that.

I tried to explain it the best I could. Its no use. You can't change their minds. I just decided to limit my interactions with this person, and I got out of that hell hole of a job soon after.

Dec 4, 2017
Anything in particular you object to? She is a well respected theoretical physicist not just some random youtuber. Her point is that there are very few studies on the health effects of the new mm frequency band.

She says that it's reasonable to believe 5G isn't a health risk, but that's not the same as saying we have scientific evidence of its safety - thus being concerned about health effects is also reasonable.
Unfortunately, in recent history, we've been repeatedly proven that general intelligence means nothing when it comes to harboring beliefs in fringe stuff.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, in recent history, we've been repeatedly proven that general intelligence means nothing when it comes to harboring beliefs in fringe stuff.
So are you saying she is wrong then? Again she is not saying 5G mm band is not safe, just that there isn't data or studies to support the claim that it positively is safe.