• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I know a few people who got it early in the UK and they've had nothing but great things to say about it.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok I'm reading it's 60´fps ok switch but what's the resolution ?! 720/1080?

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I get most games digital but I was thinking physical for this one in case I don't enjoy it. But it's 10€ more...

Sucks that Nintendo don't allow digital refunds even in Europe where it's mandated by law.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely picking this up I just don't know which version, are there any differences between PS4 and Switch?

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ordered on switch. Had 10 bucks of cools coin around so I paid 20 for it. Will see how it is

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely picking this up I just don't know which version, are there any differences between PS4 and Switch?

The devs said their goal was to target 60fps on Switch, then move from there. I'm assuming it'll run fine on Switch, but at a lower resolution than PS4. I'm interested to see how it performs on every console, but I think I'll get it on PC just to be safe.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The devs said their goal was to target 60fps on Switch, then move from there. I'm assuming it'll run fine on Switch, but at a lower resolution than PS4. I'm interested to see how it performs on every console, but I think I'll get it on PC just to be safe.

Ah alright thanks! If the difference isn't significant I'm still willing to get it on the Switch for portability.

Looking at this video, seems like the only difference is 720pvs1080p?

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I always knew that the first Yooka-Laylee didn't demonstrate the full extent of Playtonic's capabilities. Super happy to see that they've seemingly made a great game with The Impossible Lair. My pre-order is ready. :)

(....and I'm really looking forward to seeing what a direct sequel to the first Yooka-Laylee will look like. I don't think people quite realize how much the studio has grown since 2015.)

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
If this turns out to be a limp copy-cat of Tropical Freeze, there's a whole lot of reviewers that will get tossed on my own personal untrustworthy pile. Saying it rivals Tropical Freeze is a meaningful statement that shouldn't be uttered unless true. TF is pure platforming brilliance start to end. Moreso now with Funky Kong added to it.

Oct 25, 2017
If this turns out to be a limp copy-cat of Tropical Freeze, there's a whole lot of reviewers that will get tossed on my own personal untrustworthy pile. Saying it rivals Tropical Freeze is a meaningful statement that shouldn't be uttered unless true. TF is pure platforming brilliance start to end. Moreso now with Funky Kong added to it.

Considering how reviewers collectively missed the boat on the magnificence of Tropical Freeze the first time around in 2014, you'll have a better time all around if you don't give that comparison the benefit of the doubt. There's no evidence the press understands that game.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
One of Gamespots complaints is that it controls exactly like TF (they don't say that, but what they described is basically TF's control system). Sounds like a plus to me.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This is going to look beautiful at 4k. Loving the colourful art and diversity in the environments.

This has just shot up my list, going to be getting this day one.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Not sure whether to cop this or Indivisible. Reviews saying the platforming in this is kinda eh....

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I'm buying this today but did not realize it was on so many platforms.

ive got a PS4 Pro, Xbox X and pretty decent PC - should I go with PC? I found some DF footage of the game running on Xbox X and it looked amazing but I don't know if there are FPS issues in the console versions.

does anyone have a link to performance analysis of these 3 versions it know if anything not PC offers 4K60? I'm fine getting it anywhere but always buy on console if they are well done..

really excited for this! I only read 2 reviews and I was completely convinced this is something I need in my life lol

Nov 13, 2017
Been playing it the past week. I think the only thing missing from this game is boss fights, but other than that, it's absolutely excellent. Controls are tight, levels have great variations between them, the music is seriously up there with DKC games, and it's just downright fun to play.

does anyone have a link to performance analysis of these 3 versions it know if anything not PC offers 4K60? I'm fine getting it anywhere but always buy on console if they are well done..

Been playing on a PS4 Pro. I don't know if it's native 4k or anything, but it's a smooth 60fps experience. There is one hiccup that is very consistent, so it makes me wonder if it's intentional. When you buddy slam through a trap door, the game pauses for a second, but not the music. It happens every time. Not bothersome at all, just noticeable.

Last edited:

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
I have a hard time believing these reviews because of how half-baked Yooka-laylee was and that awful last boss fight with the camera.

I want a good platformer, I haven't played a good one since Guacamelee 2.

Nov 13, 2017
I have a hard time believing these reviews because of how half-baked Yooka-laylee was and that awful last boss fight with the camera.

It's a 2.5D sidescrolling platformer, not a 3D adventure collectathon. The camera is never an issue in this game.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got ahead of myself and pre-loaded it.

I know it won't be as good as Tropical Freeze but GameXplain making a point to compare it to that masterpiece is super promising, to say the least.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I'm intrigued, is it just that they got more talent or is there more that happened?
They had 5 or 6 team members when the studio was first announced in 2015. I can't remember the exact timeline, but I know they were hiring new people towards the end of Y-L's development. As well as some new people afterwards. They were basically building the studio at the same time as they were making the first Yooka-Laylee.

Today the studio has 29 team members.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

TBF YL was absolutely massacred by reviews IIRC. Multiple 2/10 scores even. If you think YL was a bad game then you align quite well with many of the reviews. The fact that this is reviewing much better than YL is surely a positive sign as they had no qualms in slamming YL as I said.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

That being said, if you're fine with never completing the Impossible Lair, you're still left with a great game. It's a massive improvement over the original and a much better direction for the series. The way in which it handles its overworld is masterful, as is the way it interconnects with each level. Not to mention Grant Kirkhope and David Wise's amazing talent is once again on display with another stellar soundtrack. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is a wonderful platformer that could have been even greater if only it stuck the landing.

Score: 8.5 / 10

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Yooka Laylee and The Impossible Lair deserves way more attention. It's a great game whether you like the old Donkey Kong Country or the newer ones. In many ways I think it even does better. Anyways here is my review, and even if it's late, I do want to encourage as many of you all to play it as I can.