• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
So
I played the game with a tonic enabled that reduced the number of checkpoints in the standard chapters in exchange for a greater quill yield. That whole process took me about ten to twelve hours, I guess? But my point is it gave me around 40 spare "hits" in the Lair.

The Lair itself doesn't have checkpoints as its meant to be a long gauntlet but it is very difficult. But I remember it took me about two to three hours to finish it properly, with ten hits remaining.

But if you get hit, or you fall of an edge or something you just lose a hit.

I reckon I could do it much better this time around but did to time restraints with the review and such I didn't get a chance to revisit until now.

Its definitely not "too hard", it's honestly quite manageable. The third major part of the lair I finished with only one to two hits being taken on my first time through, so I think it's really down to your proficiency with platformers.

I could see how It can be demotivating to get to the very end and then use up the last of your hits and have to start again but you just get more and more proficient since you're repeating. I personally was more motivated if anything just because I knew how close I was getting.
I personally found it both refreshing and rewarding with how difficult it was.

So 10-12 hours to finish? Did you 100% complete each stage and it's variant? Just curious how long a 100% playthrough would take. The longer the better :-)

Slai-Man

Oct 25, 2017
I played the game with a tonic enabled that reduced the number of checkpoints in the standard chapters in exchange for a greater quill yield. That whole process took me about ten to twelve hours, I guess? But my point is it gave me around 40 spare "hits" in the Lair.

The Lair itself doesn't have checkpoints as its meant to be a long gauntlet but it is very difficult. But I remember it took me about two to three hours to finish it properly, with ten hits remaining.

I reckon I could do it much better this time around but did to time restraints with the review and such I didn't get a chance to revisit until now.

Its definitely not "too hard", it's honestly quite manageable. The third major part of the lair I finished with only one to two hits being taken on my first time through, so I think it's really down to your proficiency with platformers.

I could see how It can be demotivating to get to the very end and then use up the last of your hits and have to start again but you just get more and more proficient since you're repeating. I personally was more motivated if anything just because I knew how close I was getting.

Is there a boss in the end? and if he kills you will you repeat the whole thing?

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
So

So 10-12 hours to finish? Did you 100% complete each stage and it's variant? Just curious how long a 100% playthrough would take. The longer the better :-)

Definitely longer, I didn't do everything. I'd wager probably about 20 hours.

Is there a boss in the end? and if he kills you will you repeat the whole thing?

There is a boss in the Lair and yes thats true. But the boss can only kill you if they deplete your hits reserve.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
guys i'm loving this OST. this one sounds like it could have been the main theme of a Yoshi game

How did they like it? I don't wanna watch, trying to go in semi-blind!

Well, it's DK Vine so they were bound to love it either way, but they loved it. In particular I was glad to hear that they thought the writing was far better than the first game's.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's DK Vine so they were bound to love it either way, but they loved it. In particular I was glad to hear that they thought the writing was far better than the first game's.

Thanks for the info! Glad to hear that as well, the writing in what I played of the first game really fell flat for me.

Oct 25, 2017

Now this game has my attention. Love no-checkpoint gauntlets as platformer endgames. To hear that you have a safety buffer for multiple hits but also that the level is designed to be mastered through repetition hits all the right notes for me. I'm somewhat of an evangelist for this kind of design, which is unfashionable these days among people who prefer heavily checkpointed single-screen experiences, so I may have to bump this way up my priority list.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Now this game has my attention. Love no-checkpoint gauntlets as platformer endgames. To hear that you have a safety buffer for multiple hits but also that the level is designed to be mastered through repetition hits all the right notes for me. I'm somewhat of an evangelist for this kind of design, which is unfashionable these days among people who prefer heavily checkpointed single-screen experiences, so I may have to bump this way up my priority list.

Yeah. You can do the Impossible Lair from the get-go where you get one hit (the one which removes Laylee from Yooka).

It's totally doable without getting hit, I reckon but yeah memorisation is key.

Adore this track too. It has that industrial clanginess of DKC2 and I am in love with it

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Glad this game is reviewing well. I hope now with more dev time and experience we will get a true 3d sequel that will do this series justice. The first game had a lot of untapped potential.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see positive reviews. I went ahead and pre-ordered on PSN. Good platformers are rare on PS4 and i love the genre so i'm looking forward to playing this.

For Playstation Plus owners, there is a small price reduction if you pre-order, bringing the price down to 27€.

Last edited:

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Oh damn. This is €27 right now on PSN. I love 2d platformers. I think I'll pick it up.

Jun 2, 2018
Northern Ireland
I'm wanting to get this, I have a xbox one and a Switch, does anyone know which version is performs better?

Edit - Oh, I thought it was out in the UK. I appreciate if it might be too early to answer this.

David Sr.

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Can someone who has already played the game specify if it is varied in its environments? From gameplays I have the feeling that half of the levels are village-themed...

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Wasn't super interested in this until I watched GameXplain's review, now I'm actually pretty hyped. This looks like a really quality 2D platformer more akin to the DKC series than I originally thought. Having a really cool over world map that lets you explore and find secrets is a major bonus.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Just noticed it's 27 dollars on PSN. That's an easy buy since so many sites are comparing it to Tropical Freeze.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Couldn't make it in time for embargo to lift, but here's mine which went live today - I gave it a 4/5. I'll reiterate this here: I hope Playtonic don't read this as not having to go back to 3D platformers, as enjoyable The Impossible Lair is and how well the gameplay translates into a 2.5D perspective. I'd like them to revisit 3D and build upon/improve what was in the original game, in a future sequel.

Also, the tonics system - particularly the cosmetic/visual effects - has no right to be as fun to mess about with, as it actually is. But when you eventually unlock a fourth tonic slot and you decide to stack four seperate effects on top of one another. A Frankensteinian thing of """beauty""".

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Can someone who has already played the game specify if it is varied in its environments? From gameplays I have the feeling that half of the levels are village-themed...

It's pretty varied, though as I noted in my preview, the "village" motif does pop up often that I started to notice haha. But it's usually within the context of a level that otherwise looks and feels distinct, so it isn't too distracting.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
After playing for about 4 hours, I find the game to be kind of lifeless and boring. Comparisons to Tropical Freeze are way out of line. The platforming in the Impossible Lair (Apart from the eponymous Lair itself) just feels easy and like going through the motions of a basic platformer. There's nothing that makes it stand out as being unique.

Oct 30, 2017
Feel they shouldn't have stuck so closely to the tropical freeze...everything. This just makes me want to boot up Tropical Freeze, tbh.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
They aren't, they confirmed this is a spinoff
But there's also no knowing if/when they'll make Yooka Laylee 2. So i can understand people feeling nervous that we wont get a sequel that fixes the problems of the first one. They've also never done the orchestral soundtrack or dlc for the first game. Maybe they'll do that next.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
But there's also no knowing if/when they'll make Yooka Laylee 2. So i can understand people feeling nervous that we wont get a sequel that fixes the problems of the first one. They've also never done the orchestral soundtrack or dlc for the first game. Maybe they'll do that next.
They said they're working on a sequel and that they did this as a side project

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
Really interested in this, but undecided on Switch (£26) or PS4 (£22)!

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
After playing for about 4 hours, I find the game to be kind of lifeless and boring. Comparisons to Tropical Freeze are way out of line. The platforming in the Impossible Lair (Apart from the eponymous Lair itself) just feels easy and like going through the motions of a basic platformer. There's nothing that makes it stand out as being unique.
Thanks for this

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why YL failed to deliver it while IL is killing it. I liked Yooka but it is a very flawed game.

Yooka-Laylee: largely made by just six people with the rest of the team brought on later, a huge 3D game done on a Kickstarter budget, promised loads of stretch goals that took focus away from the rest of the game

Impossible Lair: made by a full team from the start, less ambitious by switching to 2D gameplay/a simpler 3D overworld, not beholden to any feature promises

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the consensus on the game from reviews? The GameXplain review got me super hyped.

StefanShepard

Feb 9, 2018
I was interested in this game from the moment it was announced but watching some reviews as well as reading impressions I'm actually pretty hyped for this now. Preordered it via the eShop on Friday and used up by remaining gold coins to get it for around 20,00€.
I would have liked to experience it in 4K on Xbox One X but portability as well as price convinced me to buy on Switch. Besides, cartoony plattformers always look good enough on Nintendo hardware anyway.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the consensus on the game from reviews? The GameXplain review got me super hyped.

f07ad97eb2e359a9080fe7d2b1b44137.png

a39281d31af763e656b59f3098d1f838.png

THE NUMBERS DON'T LIE

B. Spaceman

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
GameSpot gave it a 6. The same they gave it to DKC Tropical Freeze though heh

B. Spaceman

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I bought the game in Amazon and I'm second guessing it... I don't know if I should cancel it :(