• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I thought yooka didn't get the orchestrated soundtrack because kirkhope decided against it for whatever reason (a shame because worlds 2,3 and 5 were begging for the real deal than the faux-chestra in game)

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I opened the PSN just to notice that the game isn't available until October 8. Fuck my weekend :(

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very impressed with these scores!

If Retro is going to be busy with Metroid for a while, I honestly wouldn't mind if Nintendo lent DK to Playtonic.

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
I thought yooka didn't get the orchestrated soundtrack because kirkhope decided against it for whatever reason (a shame because worlds 2,3 and 5 were begging for the real deal than the faux-chestra in game)
As far as I know, the only information we've ever gotten about the orchestrated soundtrack was this twitter thread:

Grant says that there are no plans, then @AndyPlaytonic says that it's still on their to-do list. There has never been any kind of proper status update or cancellation notice for backers about the DLC or the soundtrack update.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Tropical Freeze is still wildly underappreciated. It's the best platformer of all time.

ALL TIMES

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Do we have any word on what the trophies are for the PS4 version? If it's a fun plat I might get it there, but otherwise I'm leaning towards Switch, especially since the Gamexplain review made it sound like it's a pretty stable version of the game.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Watched more videos of it, it looks super average to me, that's a nope. Completely forgettable, nothing remarkable about it. Doubt it will gather a following like Celeste.

PS: Tropical Freeze is not that great, way too safe and traditionnal, if you loved it, I can understand why you'll love Yooka-Laylee, but I need a bit of innovation in my platformers.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I'm surprised it's reviewing this well. I played the demo at PAX last month and it was fine, but nothing that made me feel compelled to buy this. I'll definitely check it out at some point though now after seeing this.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Tropical Freeze is still wildly underappreciated. It's the best platformer of all time.

ALL TIMES

I swear to god Tropical Freeze is the single plattformer I hear the most about every time anyone ever even approaches the topic of 2D platformers, and always with the addendum that it's underappreciated or not well known enough.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Watched more videos of it, it looks super average to me, that's a nope. Completely forgettable, nothing remarkable about it. Doubt it will gather a following like Celeste.

PS: Tropical Freeze is not that great, way too safe and traditionnal, if you loved it, I can understand why you'll love Yooka-Laylee, but I need a bit of innovation in my platformers.

PS.

NO

Nov 23, 2017

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
To buy it at launch to support the dev and increase the chances of more Yooka-Laylee games in the future, or to wait because I would vastly prefer them to be in the style of the original game. Hmm.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I was hyped to buy it after the reviews but I see now that the pre-order sale is not there anymore (Nintendo eshop). I know it wasn't that big (-10%) but the game isn't even out yet so I don't get why it expired.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Like fighting games, most reviewers don't know where to look at when analysing a platformer. Tropicall Freeze got a 83 meta score somehow when it's the pinnacle of the genre.

I prefer to be cautious about Yooka-Laylee...

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I swear to god Tropical Freeze is the single plattformer I hear the most about every time anyone ever even approaches the topic of 2D platformers, and always with the addendum that it's underappreciated or not well known enough.

I think people just got used to talking about it as a great game on a crappy, underperforming console that everyone was angry at for not being a Metroid.

Like fighting games, most reviewers don't know where to look at when analysing a platformer. Tropicall Freeze got a 83 meta score somehow when it's the pinnacle of the genre.

Good reviews have made you feel cautious?

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
One of the things I dislike the most in games is the main genre of a title being constantly interrupted with side gameplay :( I wish there was a demo.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I think people just got used to talking about it as a great game on a crappy, underperforming console that everyone was angry at for not being a Metroid.

It wasn't made justice to its quality just because some reviewers were annoyed Retro was making a second DKC game. Such an amazing job, such perfectly crafted and integrated levels just ignored because it wasn't Metroid and "not the game the WiiU needed". Shame.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco

Hey! I've been banging the TF-is-the-GOAT-platformer drum for the better part of a decade, and I found Impossible Lair to be great

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Yeah for multiple reasons:
- Launched on Wii U so small target group
- Full price so many people opted to skip it arguing it's too much to ask for a 2D platformer
- Critically it scored low 80s, solid scores but most people who played it and loved it felt that they didn't reflect the true value of the game

Squid Icarus

Jul 11, 2019
I haven't written down my own German review yet, but I can agree with the reviews so far, it's a really good platformer in the veins of DKC and such a step up from the not-so-great first game. The overworld stuff is simply brilliant. Switch version is flawless from what I've played so far (almost done with the game). The only real letdown for me is that the game is really easy when you've played games like TF, Celeste or Super Meat Boy before. Unless there's some challenging endgame content, most of the levels are kind of easy for platforming fans and I've collected all 5 coins within most levels on the first try.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope the game sells. Right now only a small group of retro gamers seem to be aware the game even exists. A PSN/ eShop demo can do this game some good.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
Cool to see that it's getting good reviews. I hope they can take the experience of making this game (and maybe a couple of others) before going back to 3D platformers to give those a proper go.

It is strange to me that this is so similar to tropical freeze. It would probably be unfitting for yooka laylee but... why look virtually identical to Tropical Freeze when you could make a DKC 2-esque game? It would instantly distinguish itself from TF and would stand out in a world of colorful 2D platformers.
Really miss the moody atmosphere from DKC 1 and 2. And imagine the soundtrack. I love colorful happy david wise but i really want to hear something else from him.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
The reviews are way more positive than I expected. So I´m happy. I will play it sometime.

Slai-Man

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't written down my own German review yet, but I can agree with the reviews so far, it's a really good platformer in the veins of DKC and such a step up from the not-so-great first game. The overworld stuff is simply brilliant. Switch version is flawless from what I've played so far (almost done with the game). The only real letdown for me is that the game is really easy when you've played games like TF, Celeste or Super Meat Boy before. Unless there's some challenging endgame content, most of the levels are kind of easy for platforming fans and I've collected all 5 coins within most levels on the first try.

It's not fair comparing it to SMB and Celesete. Different type of platformers.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Yeah for multiple reasons:
- Launched on Wii U so small target group
- Full price so many people opted to skip it arguing it's too much to ask for a 2D platformer
- Critically it scored low 80s, solid scores but most people who played it and loved it felt that they didn't reflect the true value of the game
It was $50. Switch version had the new Funky Mode Tax

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
There was a video review that made it sound like it was more difficult than TF.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018

Tropical Freeze is way more innovative than Celeste lol. What an embarrassing post.

Squid Icarus

Jul 11, 2019
It's not fair comparing it to SMB and Celesete. Different type of platformers.
I didn't compare them. I was just saying that if you've played more difficult platformers, you might find Yooka-Laylee a bit easy.

I have some excellent news about the game's title!
Oh right, haha, I almost forgot about the Impossible Lair. Got distracted by all the other regular levels! Yeah, the Impossible Lair is quite challenging, as it should be. I still think the regular levels could be a bit harder, at least some of them.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Well, wasn't too sure about the performance on Switch since in the videos I saw, it doesn't look like it can maintain 60 fps at all time so I instead opted for the less expensive Steam version. At least I know that I won't get any performance issues for sure. I'm really eager to play this :)

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I'm happy to hear it turned out much better than their debut game, but I still can't get on board with the price. At $20 (digital), I'd have absolutely been there day one.

I know its contemporary is $50, but DK is an established franchise with 25+ years of history and games. This is a follow-up to a mediocre buddy platformer with dated design. Ironically a mediocre game that I backed on KS.

I'll wait for a sale, but it's good to know it'll be worth the money then.

Squid Icarus

Jul 11, 2019
29.99€ is a really good price for what the game offers. You'll get at least 12-15hrs of more than capable platforming fun, great visuals and music and an innovative hub world.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Someone's uploaded a couple of tracks from the soundtrack and Production Path Panic has me jamming out.

I'm happy to hear it turned out much better than their debut game, but I still can't get on board with the price. At $20 (digital), I'd have absolutely been there day one.

I know its contemporary is $50, but DK is an established franchise with 25+ years of history and games. This is a follow-up to a mediocre buddy platformer with dated design. Ironically a mediocre game that I backed on KS.

I'll wait for a sale, but it's good to know it'll be worth the money then.

Bit of a strange take considering it's only $10 more than your day one price and getting scores directly comparable to Tropical Freeze even without the pedigree, but you do you bruh

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
29.99€ is a really good price for what the game offers. You'll get at least 12-15hrs of more than capable platforming fun, great visuals and music and an innovative hub world.
Yeah, of course I would have preferred it cheaper but it seems like the game is worth the asking money and it's a game that I have been waiting for since I don't see a new DK any time soon. And I hope Playtonic makes bank so they continue to offer more stuff.