• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xemnas89

Aug 28, 2019
Played for about three hours tonight. I'm really loving it and am glad to have what is basically another dkc to play. The overworld is great and feels like what a dkc4 could've been if rare ever had the chance to make it. I also like that the final level is available from the start. It's practically impossible which is fitting but it's something I love chipping away at. The last few levels have been getting a bit harder too and I assume it'll continue to ramp up. Where as I thought the first game was faithful to the N64 collectathon almost to a fault, I'm glad to see this game taking what they did with the original dkc games and also moving forward.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I just bought it for the PS4 and noticed that the switch version costs 10 dollars more. Why is this? I thought the switch tax wasn't a thing anymore.

jordn613

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't find any cool speedrun videos, so I took one of me running through a bit of Hazard Hanger. I like using the tonics that give you the Dixie Kong glide and let your twirl hurt enemies, the former in particular is invaluable for a good run. A lot of the levels have this kind of really good flow to them, I hope they patch in some kind of time attack mode.

oh, maybe Ijust haven't gotten tonics yet that step things up? Are they almost like metroidvania abilities that really open up how you can approach levels and be way better equipped to collect everything, reach hidden areas, etc?

ChanceOwen

Oct 25, 2017
oh, maybe Ijust haven't gotten tonics yet that step things up? Are they almost like metroidvania abilities that really open up how you can approach levels and be way better equipped to collect everything, reach hidden areas, etc?
They're crutches. Useful for collecting items, but unhelpful in preparing you for the Impossible Lair where you don't get to use tonics. If you get used to playing with longer jumps or faster rolls, it's probably gonna mess with you when you try to take on the Lair.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought it for the PS4 and noticed that the switch version costs 10 dollars more. Why is this? I thought the switch tax wasn't a thing anymore.

That's only physical. The digital version is $30 like the others. I guess they charge you more for the cartridge? *shrugs*

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
That's only physical. The digital version is $30 like the others. I guess they charge you more for the cartridge? *shrugs*
Digitally they're all the same price. It's only the cart that costs more. Seems fair to be honest. Amazon has it for 33 but it's out of stock.

Oh I see... I thought they had to maintain some sort of parity, but thankfully not. Still a bummer for people who like physical like me. Can't wait to start to play this though.

Oct 31, 2017
Bought this last night after seeing all you guys comment on it, especially after GameXplain was glowing about it. TF is my favorite platformer of all time and so far, still is, but IL is just baaaarely below it in my mind. I cannot believe how good this game is, I played from 11pm to 3:30am last night despite having work in the morning.

The controls are so tight, the tonics are so fun to collect and mix and match, the OST is beautiful! And the overworld is the one place where they beat Tropical Freeze hands down. I want a trilogy of these games. Only thing I need now is for Yoshi's Island to make a return to form and we will have the Holy Trinity of platformers back in regular rotation.

Where I live is about to get rocked by a super typhoon for the next two days and boy am I happy to have this title to chew through over the weekend!

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Did this bomb? Had a look at the German and the US eShop-bestsellers and it still hasn't entered the top 30, which is a bit concerning. Would be a shame because it's a really cool game, vast improvement over the first Y-L and I'm enjoying it a ton.

Oct 25, 2017
Bought this last night after seeing all you guys comment on it, especially after GameXplain was glowing about it. TF is my favorite platformer of all time and so far, still is, but IL is just baaaarely below it in my mind. I cannot believe how good this game is, I played from 11pm to 3:30am last night despite having work in the morning.

The controls are so tight, the tonics are so fun to collect and mix and match, the OST is beautiful! And the overworld is the one place where they beat Tropical Freeze hands down. I want a trilogy of these games. Only thing I need now is for Yoshi's Island to make a return to form and we will have the Holy Trinity of platformers back in regular rotation.

Where I live is about to get rocked by a super typhoon for the next two days and boy am I happy to have this title to chew through over the weekend!
Yeah - the jump in quality from the original Yooka-Laylee to this is absolutely gigantic. I adore the original Donkey Kong Country trilogy + Tropical Freeze, and so far, this game is living up to that incredibly lofty legacy.

And while I'm not holding my breath for any spiritual successor to Yoshi's Island, at least we have it on the Switch now! It's a good time to be a platforming fan :D

Best of luck braving the typhoon. Hope you and your family stay safe <3

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
So I keep telling myself "no need to buy this now, have plenty to play" and every time I check the impressions in this thread I'm like, "shit I'm buying it tonight". Matter of time before I cave in.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I like it so far, but I'm not blown away like some others here seem to be. The overworld is my highlight: it's fun to explore, full of little nooks and crannies and little puzzles. Levels that change their layout isn't strictly speaking a new idea, but it's always cool to see and I love the way they change depending on what you do on the overworld. The actual stages are good to: They are nowhere near as spectacular as the stages in Tropical Freeze, but still solidly designed and fun to play. OST is my only big disappointment so far, I really didn't care much for any of the tracks I heard so far. In general it feels like it's missing a last layer of polish. For example I think it's weirdly unsatisfying to find the end of a level - you just hit the bee's nest and there's no cool animation or exciting jingle that celebrates your achievement. Small things like that.

One thing it has going against it, and it's a bit unfair, is that I'm constantly reminded of Tropical Freeze when playing the game. I didn't expect to get a game that rivals TF and I think that'd be an unfair expectation for a game by a much smaller studio that's working with a much smaller budget, but it's so similar that I can't but think of TF often. And outside of the worldmap, TF is just the by far better game in all categories (doesn't help that I consider TF to be one of the best platformers period).

And frankly... I'm just not too fond of that whole spiritual successor thing. I realized this when playing Bloodstained and Impossible Lair cements that feeling. By being this close to the franchises they took as inspiration, these games often just feel like they are lacking their own identity. E.g. Bloodstained is Castlevania to a T with a slightly different coat of paint. It makes these games feel somewhat like the cheap knock off version of a popular product, despite their quality.

Last edited:

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
I simply can't agree with people who say the controls are tight. They're far from it, and they're the part of the game that's keeping me from truly enjoying the game. They're floaty and loose and I think I'm going to stop playing the game now in hopes they'll patch them.

David Sr.

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I can't really get the criticism about this being just a spiritual succesor. That simply isn't true. Just because it is a 2D platformer it doesn't mean it has to be conservative by need, and this game sure is not conservative at all despite its genre.

I think it brings enough new things to the genre (and greatly implemented) that make it unfair to call this a mere rip off of the DKC franchise. The complex overworld, the brilliant approach to the last level in a BOTWesque way, the Tonic system and the state changes of the levels are all amazing and original ideas that contribute to make this game to stand out as an unique experience, even if there are cannon barrels and the protagonist duo attack by rolling.

Oct 27, 2017
I simply can't agree with people who say the controls are tight. They're far from it, and they're the part of the game that's keeping me from truly enjoying the game. They're floaty and loose and I think I'm going to stop playing the game now in hopes they'll patch them.

What system are you playing on? Im on PS4 and theyre incredibly solid. Only thing thats taken a bit to get used to is how far he overslides (cant think of correct term) after you roll, but even that isnt bad, its just something you have to adjust to.

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
What system are you playing on? Im on PS4 and theyre incredibly solid. Only thing thats taken a bit to get used to is how far he overslides (cant think of correct term) after you roll, but even that isnt bad, its just something you have to adjust to.
PS4 pro, and yeah that slide is what I mean when I say the controls are loose. Coming from the game this one is copying (Tropical Freeze), it's really hard to enjoy this game simply because of how loose and floaty the controls are compared to TF. I dont mind them copying just about everything from TF, but I wish they would have taken its controls as well.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't have been able to beat the Lair if the controls were floaty and loose. An important thing to realize is that just like in DKC there are very specific quirks in how the characters move that you can take advantage of to get really good at the game. Some examples:

- Jumping in the opposite direction out of a roll will halt your momentum way faster than just turning the opposite direction without jumping.

- Likewise, if you're in the air, rolling in the direction opposite of where you're going exactly as you land can also immediately halt your forward momentum, preventing Yooka from doing his little slide. Combining this + the above tip will give you tons of control in tricky areas. Since you mentioned the slide being an issue, here's an example of what it looks like when you do it wrong vs. when you do it right.

-If you have Laylee, you can press the roll button multiple times to do a faster roll that gives you more speed and momentum.

-When bouncing off an enemy's head, you don't have to press the button exactly when you hit them to get the height boost, there's a short window after you've hit them that still lets you get the boost.

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only a few hours in and I'm already loving it so far. The Tropical Freeze comparisons feel a bit unfair because while it is obviously taking a huge chunk of its inspiration for the DKC games, there is enough unique mechanics and ideas that lets it stand on its own just like how TF separates itself from the SNES era. The overworld is great and the best example of this. The way it interacts with the levels makes it work as both an evolution of the DKC3 overworld and a better take on the world expansions from the original Yooka-Laylee. The Impossible Lair is also such a neat idea. I just did my second attempt with only 8 bees and managed to get 25% through.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Yay! Beat the Impossible Lair with 12 Bees remaining. I really like how each time I came closer and closer to the end, and finally got through it with a 1/4th of my Bees. Got the Platinum trophy! :)

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got this game on Monday and played a bit of it my impression so far;

• The over world gameplay is actually pretty fun
  • Laylee is nothing like Baby Mario where he would float closer to the player after getting hit, honestly I found it that it's just better to move on and hit the next checkpoint, die and then get Layee back,
  • The gameplay is fun and the control is tight, though the swimming dashing animation could be made more clear that it's a short burst, I had been holding it down as I though it's how Yooka swim faster,
  • I am not a fan of the game punishing players for using tonic to make the game easier by rewarding them less feathers, there's no need for that system,
Honestly while I like the game and am enjoying it, I struggle to engage with the characters as I find Yooka-Laylee to be boring as a character plus they ain't no Donkey Kong and it shows in their movements.

The game is a nice holdover till Nintendo makes another Donkey Kong Country games, whenever that will be.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
I regret not pre-ordering this when I still had GCU at Best Buy. I mistakenly, albeit understandably, wrote this off as something I could get when it drops to 20 or less.

Black Friday is coming 'round the corner though..

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
[*]Laylee is nothing like Baby Mario where he would float closer to the player after getting hit, honestly I found it that it's just better to move on and hit the next checkpoint, die and then get Layee back,
Kind of related: It's really dumb that you don't get Laylee back at checkpoints. There's literally no reason not to intentionally die after a checkpoint to get Laylee back.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
Does this give anyone Rayman Origins/Legends vibe? I love those games along with the difficulty later on. I'm usually not into most sidescrollers with the Rayman games being the latest exceptions. Wondering if this would be something I would enjoy.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the last level, was expecting something to happen, anything really, but I guess not, impossible lair here I come!.. Nope, no. I get the idea and it's cool for people who like this sort of torture, but to me, give me all the difficulty you want, but don't make me lose and repeat 20 minutes or more of progress, I just can't deal with that, and it's why I'll never like roguelikes. Managed to reach 65% before quitting the game and uninstalling it.

Shame because overall I had a blast going through the levels and that fantastic overworld. It looks great, the controls are tight, the music is on point.. but that impossible lair might be too impossible for me, and it kinda soured me on the game a bit. Oh well.

ChanceOwen

Oct 25, 2017
Shame because overall I had a blast going through the levels and that fantastic overworld. It looks great, the controls are tight, the music is on point.. but that impossible lair might be too impossible for me, and it kinda soured me on the game a bit. Oh well.
Story-wise, I feel like should get some sort of resolution from collecting all the bees without having to complete the Impossible Lair. It's a shame to feel like you're bailing out before the finish line in that regard.
As far as not feeling like you're wasting your time, it would be great to escape the Lair each time with some amount of quills so a player can still feel like they're being productive even if they keep throwing themselves against a challenge they may never be able to surmount.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I know I said the soundtrack is disappointing, and it is, but i came upon a fantastic track, for the level Production Path. Wonderful. I have to imagine that was Wise doing that one.

Does this give anyone Rayman Origins/Legends vibe? I love those games along with the difficulty later on. I'm usually not into most sidescrollers with the Rayman games being the latest exceptions. Wondering if this would be something I would enjoy.
Yeah, for sure. It's not as good as those, but it gives me a little bit of the same vibe.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
OMFG I am in love already.

The music in the first real stage is BEAUTIFUL already.

This gives off Tropical Freeze vibes in the BEST way.

Some things are lifted directly from TF but I ain't complaining about it :p

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
This game is freaking amazing. It just makes me feel warm inside, especially after not being too impressed with the original.

Really, really happy for Playtonic.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I don't think I have the patience for the final level. I'll 100% Tropical Freeze, K levels don't bother me. But I'm not repeating a 20+ minute level multiple times.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I played a bit of Tropical Freeze today for the first time in ages to see how I like it compared to this, and I like this more. The control is just so much better than TF to me. I've never particularly loved Retro's more slippery take on how DK moves, this game is much closer to the OG trilogy in that respect.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Stage 2 is hard Mining Melancholy vibes.

Love love love this!

The art style is gorgeous. This is a very nice looking game. Excellent animations.

Hearing this music reminds me how I felt when I first played TF. Almost enough to bring a tear to my eye. The music is just so beautiful.

This is both Kirkhope and Wise, correct?

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I'd love to play this, haven't played a good platformer in a while. Can't decide between 1X and Switch, though. Seems perfect for Switch.

Dec 11, 2017
Asking a silly question but here I am. With the impossible lair, are the bees permanent even if you fail? As in, if I collect 40 bees and still fail the level, are they all there when I attempt it again?

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Kinda regret buying it for the full price. It looks good and its charming af, but so far it's also just ok. At least for me it really isn't the new DKCR. The flow in Donkey Kong is far superior, imo.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to play this, haven't played a good platformer in a while. Can't decide between 1X and Switch, though. Seems perfect for Switch.

Switch is fine but has two issues

- Really low res in docked and has instances of small framerate drops (handheld is fine)
- Some small glitching, mostly after levels o me during transitions when music cuts out or the game stutters

Xbox One X looks amazing and has none of the above issues

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Alright, the final level wasn't too bad. Four tries with two of them being early bailouts because it was going poorly.

Overall good game. Doesn't approach TF for me; as another user said somewhere it feels like diet Tropical Freeze in all the areas they're directly comparable. The overworld and tonics are great additions though. I enjoyed this game far more than Yooka Laylee.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Stage 2 is hard Mining Melancholy vibes.

Love love love this!

The art style is gorgeous. This is a very nice looking game. Excellent animations.

Hearing this music reminds me how I felt when I first played TF. Almost enough to bring a tear to my eye. The music is just so beautiful.

This is both Kirkhope and Wise, correct?
They are involved too, but I believe most tracks are supposedly by Playtronic's in-house composers.
See post #209 for a full track list, with composers: https://www.resetera.com/threads/yo...le-lair-ot-tropical-bees.145622/post-25320422

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, what an improvement in control/feel from the first game. I couldn't get over the frustrating design and poor controls of the first game, which was a shame since I was excited to back it on Kickstarter. I'm a couple levels in to the sequel and this is a HUGE improvement. I'm also glad to see they didn't just give up on these characters after the underwhelming response to the first game.

Really happy I picked this up for Switch. Gonna take my time and enjoy it.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Played some Tropical Freeze for comparison and it still is much better game but this is a good game also with some great ideas. I can't get over how great the overworld is.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
How much of the top down picking is there compared to the platformer sections? I'm less interested in the platformer bits.

Anyone here skip the first game?

I skipped it because the levels looked bad. This game is much more appealing but I'm worried about it Referring to a bunch of YL stuff. I really wish they had made a new set of characters!

When I saw this on the Switch eshop originally I scrolled past because it looked like DLC

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
How much of the top down picking is there compared to the platformer sections? I'm less interested in the platformer bits.

I haven't measured it and that ratio would also depend on how long it takes you to solve puzzles in the overworld or how many times you die in the platformer sections, but what I would say is that there's enough time spent in each, that I wouldn't recommend it unless you're interested in both.

It's an interesting design decision btw, because in some ways it's two seperate games, with moveset and abilities being different or behaving differently, when you move between them, which can make it a little jarring and possible make you question, why the design is attempting to make two such radically different elements work in conjunction with each other. I understand why the changes are needed, once you've decided on that type of design. The jumping height for instance needed to be shorter to make the barriers in the overworld believable, but the side effect of that is things like enemies not being as satisfying to jump on (which isn't helped by the perspective either) and a disconnect, because the same characters suddenly behave differently from the other section, they were just in. I could understand it if some would be bothered by stuff like this, but for me it still works, but it took me a little time to work out why.

Part of it is the charm of the characters, the colors and the world. Another and perhaps bigger part has to do with identity. One of the things that seperated Banjo-Kazooie from Mario 64 was the sense of adventure. The plot, setting, characters and objectives, while whimsical and ridiculous, were an important part of the experience. Yooka-Laylee was attempting to mimic that type of game and in moving to a sidescrolling platformer with the sequel, this was something that could have easily been lost, but the overworld sections help ensure that that hasn't happened. It still feels like it has the same DNA and is part of the same lineage of games as Banjo and the original YL, because it maintains a sense of adventure. I really like that, even if it isn't unproblematic from a gameplay cohesion angle and hope the series always integrate that identity, regardless of what genre it moves towards.

Speaking of cohesion there's some smaller things I feel could be done differently or communicated better, like how the colored pick up guys (don't remember what they're called) sometimes have to be touched, but when they're red, jumped on. Smaller stuff like that, but all in all it's an absolutely wonderful game and a must buy for everyone into the genre. For me this isn't about whether it's better or not than Tropical Freeze. It's about celebrating the release of a high quality game in a genre I love dearly.

Last edited: