• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I have played some time now and can say this seems to be a very good game. Very polished. Huge step up from their last game even though I actually liked it still. This isn't rivalling Tropical Freeze with level design or game flow but the gameplay feels great. Level design is still good. There are so many things that are ripped right off Tropical Freeze but the game flow is different which makes this its own thing I would say. And the overworld is great! It really helps narrowing the gap to Tropical Freeze. What a great idea!

This isn't Tropical Freeze but there isn't anything that comes close to it really. This game feels different enough that it doesn't feel blatant copy although some things in it really are. And the overworld really helps with that. Very good game.

Edit: Donkey Kong isn't the only game Impossible Lair takes things from. When you discover secret areas sound is almost straight from Rayman. And also when you complete a level and the game shows what you have collected the music and sounds are very similar with Rayman games.

Last edited:

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I've only a slight interest in this game but I had to come in here and say goddamn that OT title is tight!

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
It looks to be a really nice game but no way I buy it full price. I bought the first Yooka Laylee full price and really regretted it. So for that one, as good as it may be, I'll wait for a heavy discount. It'll compensate.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It looks to be a really nice game but no way I buy it full price. I bought the first Yooka Laylee full price and really regretted it. So for that one, as good as it may be, I'll wait for a heavy discount. It'll compensate.

It's already releasing as a budget title fwiw, and is all-round a better received game. Seems sensible to buy right now.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit this looks absolutely incredible.

I wasn't planning on getting it but I am 100% now. This looks entirely up my alley. And Damiani's only complaint really being the hard end levels sounds like exactly what I want.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bought on switch. Played 10min. Stuck here nothing is happening what the hell is this

E0-F327-F3-6775-4162-9818-FCF1-AFD300-CA.jpg

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bought on switch. Played 10min. Stuck here nothing is happening what the hell is this

E0-F327-F3-6775-4162-9818-FCF1-AFD300-CA.jpg

Lmao, I also had a weird moment where the game got stuck in a cutscene, I thought something was gonna happen but it was too long so I just reset it. Playtonic isn't really one for polish seems like.

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Never played the first game, but 3D platformers have never really been my thing. This looks fun and has been reviewing pretty well, I will certainly buy it at some point.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
i hated the first game but this? its freaking amazing. its pretty much nails the snes dkc flair (that returns and tropical freeze did not, in my opinion). i just enjoy this a lot more than tropical freeze, thanks to the better balanced difficulty and the fantastic overworld.

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit this looks absolutely incredible.

I wasn't planning on getting it but I am 100% now. This looks entirely up my alley. And Damiani's only complaint really being the hard end levels sounds like exactly what I want.

I made a mental note of this game when it was announced, thinking it looked like a competent and appealing platformer I might grab eventually on a sale if it doesn't get buried by too much else, but everything I'm hearing about the endgame pushes it way up my list. I'm a huge believer in no-checkpoint marathons. Might have to shove some other games out of my intended schedule and budget to make room for this. Never played the first YL, but that doesn't seem to matter.

I'd prefer to pick up the physical release—only just found out that one exists—but it looks both significantly marked up and out of stock where I am, so maybe not.

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely loving this so far.
I liked the first game, warts and all, but this is so much better.

Love the overworld, and I am so glad you can roll and then jump mid-air like in the DKC games.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely getting this as soon as I'm done with the games I already have.

Looks like it's perfectly suited for my tastes!

Oct 25, 2017
i hated the first game but this? its freaking amazing. its pretty much nails the snes dkc flair (that returns and tropical freeze did not, in my opinion). i just enjoy this a lot more than tropical freeze, thanks to the better balanced difficulty and the fantastic overworld.

Oh. That might have sold me. I like the newer DK games, but the older ones just felt so much tighter. I think the levels in the new games go on too long and I didn't care for all the collectibles.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't found a store that has a physical copy of the game yet. Was the physical release limited?

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to know if it runs or looks better on One X than PS4 Pro. If it doesn't I'll just go ahead and get it on PSN with the discount!

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I really want to like this game and give Playtonic a second chance, but there's something about it that screams "B-grade".

Plus this really pains me to say as a huge David Wise fan... but I've been listening to the game's soundtrack on YouTube and I can say I've never been so completely unmoved by his music. Save for some faint glimmers here and there... there's just... nothing there. It all feels so energy-less, so slow, so formulaic, so bland, so uninspired... Either the guy's lost it, either he was as uninspired as the game's art style looks to be...

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I really want to like this game and give Playtonic a second chance, but there's something about it that screams "B-grade".

Plus this really pains me to say as a huge David Wise fan... but I've been listening to the game's soundtrack on YouTube and I can say I've never been so completely unmoved by his music. Save for some faint glimmers here and there... there's just... nothing there. It all feels so energy-less, so slow, so formulaic, so bland, so uninspired... Either the guy's lost it, either he was as uninspired as the game's art style looks to be...

I don't think there is much of his tracks in the game.

Raggen

Oct 7, 2019
I really wish there was a demo for this. I loved the original DKC and the first reboot, but for some reason I didn't like Tropical Freeze. The overworld bit sounds great. Tempting...

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Got the game for around $12 with my Humble Monthly discount plus the $8 from referring a friend. I think I'll get at least $12 of entertainment out of this.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
OK I have had a nice couple of hours to get into this game and as expected... it's extremely good. Nintendo quality, as expected from Playtonic. (I enjoyed the first game even with its issues!)

As a big fan of the Rare DKC games who thinks the Retro games are decent but not nearly as good, this is a nice middle ground. It's basically the modern DKC style of gameplay with choice elements of the old games (simpler level design instead of big set pieces, environments that feel more realistic and lived in instead of super cartoony, bonus levels that are actually cool and not the same boring room repeated ad nauseum).

The levels so far have been really fun and surprisingly challenging, I half expected the difficulty to be a joke due to the health system but getting back Laylee when she flies away is not nearly as easy as it looks. Plus, the TWIT coins are frequently either well hidden or placed in ways that will force a replay of the level should you miss your initial chance. I also really like the remix levels, it's pretty neat how they can take the same level design and make it feel completely different. Surprisingly the overworld is my favorite part, it may be the fact that I've always preferred 3D platforming to 2D but I enjoy running around and solving the puzzles more than the actual meat of the game.

I'm looking forward to finding my Beettalion member, my friend's played through more of the game than me and apparently it's found in a level that's this game's take on Bramble Blast from DKC2.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've heard so far, most if not all of the level songs are unmistakably him.

We don't have an exact breakdown of who did which tracks yet (aside from Grant doing all of the overworld themes) but from what I understand a good chunk of the level themes are done by the two Playtonic guys, so I'd hazard a guess that it's their music you're not a fan of.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Maaaan. I decided on XB1-X, and as soon as I did, Walmart ran out of stock on that version! And now I missed the PS4 preorder discount, lol. Oh well. I'll wait a bit to see if it comes back in stock, if not I'll just get it digitally.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Played the intro level and the 1st stage, i'm impressed. The style used this time around suits the game more and makes it much more playable in longer sessions. Music is catchy and can't fault that at all.

coconut gun

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
does anyone know what that patch that just went out on the switch version does? i played a few levels this morning and im kinda hoping it address load times because that was my only real complaint

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
Maaaan. I decided on XB1-X, and as soon as I did, Walmart ran out of stock on that version! And now I missed the PS4 preorder discount, lol. Oh well. I'll wait a bit to see if it comes back in stock, if not I'll just get it digitally.
My Best Buy didn't have any physical copies.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Fighting the urge to buy this. I still have Gears 5, DQXI and Shadowkeep to play.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Budget and time constrains don't allow me to purchase it right now, but I'll definitely get this game.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Played a couple of levels so far and really enjoying it but could anyone who's played more answer a quick question? Should I be expecting to unlock more powers (double jump etc.) later in the game? Because some of these jumps seem impossible at the moment, especially in the secret areas, and I can't tell if it's because you're supposed to backtrack later on or if I just suck at the moment.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
AniHawk would be pleased, yooka grabs ropes automatically

one thing throwing me off right now is the enemy bounce, I keep expecting higher than I'm getting (probably because this skews more SNES DKC so smaller bounce) and can't tell if spinning with laylee prior is adding a small boost or something.

otherwise the controls are tight, feels like a bridge between rare and retro DKC movement

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Played a couple of levels so far and really enjoying it but could anyone who's played more answer a quick question? Should I be expecting to unlock more powers (double jump etc.) later in the game? Because some of these jumps seem impossible at the moment, especially in the secret areas, and I can't tell if it's because you're supposed to backtrack later on or if I just suck at the moment.
Some of the tonics give you more abilities, like being able to hover longer etc. The beneficial ones also negatively impact your quill count at the end of the level, though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played one level and got all the coins. This definitely is not Tropical Freeze-tier lol

Still having fun though.