• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I know a lot of people were looking forward to playing this game.

Epic Store has it free for today only

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hah, just bought this two weeks ago on Switch.

Still though, glad to have it on PC too.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wa almost gonna buy it at xmas, then i read the rumor that h was gonna be given free with epic.

it's kind of sad that they had to sell to epic this early, hope thye got a good sum from them.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Really interested in trying it out.

Does this mean the game bombed though? Or Epic just paid a lot of money for it to be free? It's like two months old...

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The Epic store has been a huge boon to the PC market. Between positives we're hearing from devs and obvious efforts to build up goodwill (and making users feel attached to a high-quality library), I think they're going to be well-placed moving forward. This is the kind of investment that serves an industry, and the way they seem to be able to get focus on new releases and promo titles like this has to feel like a relief in an otherwise noisy market.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The Epic store has been a huge boon to the PC market. Between positives we're hearing from devs and obvious efforts to build up goodwill (and make users feel attached to a high-quality library), I think they're going to be well-placed moving forward. This is the kind of investment that serves an industry, and the way they seem to be able to get focus on new releases and promo titles like this has to feel like a relief in an otherwise noisy market.
LMAO

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I just bought this on Switch last week. I really enjoyed what I played so far, so that's great news.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
The kind of library I've built already after spending just $60-70 overall total on EGS is insane, mostly thanks to free games, price fuck ups and crazy sales promotions.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Hope enough people play for free to actually become fans and buy the next game by playtonic.
That and the fat epic check should help them keep afloat.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I hope playtonic got enough money from the game to keep going. The game is good enough that it should have been a success, and I'd hate for their company to be in a dire situation so quickly..

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap they did it!!! hahahaha

Also it doesn't look like the free games are ending? Jan 1st get stuff for the week it seems, back to the two or one game per week?

Oct 25, 2017
It's an amazing game. One of the best 2D platformers in the last few years (and better than tropical freeze, too!)

The Epic store has been a huge boon to the PC market. Between positives we're hearing from devs and obvious efforts to build up goodwill (and making users feel attached to a high-quality library), I think they're going to be well-placed moving forward. This is the kind of investment that serves an industry, and the way they seem to be able to get focus on new releases and promo titles like this has to feel like a relief in an otherwise noisy market.

lmao

Man, I hope playtonic got enough money from the game to keep going. The game is good enough that it should have been a success, and I'd hate for their company to be in a dire situation so quickly..

they were hiring people very recently afaik so i guess they signed a game with a publisher since the impossible lair didn't do too well in sales apparently

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Hope enough people play for free to actually become fans and buy the next game by playtonic.
That and the fat epic check should help them keep afloat.

I like the trajectory of the newest game being their best. The original YL was cool in theory, but ended up having some real shortcomings for a lot of players. Impossible Lair seems to be straight-up beloved in the genre. I wouldn't have given it a chance if John Linneman hadn't done the highlight video for DF. I think they were smart to have gotten discount pricing for the retail copies in time for the holidays (that was where I bought it), and doing this kind of giveaway for extra visibility through digital storefronts (which also generated income, as far as we know).