• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty good, but a bit disappointed it's not a true sequel though. Then again if the rumors surrounding Banjo are too, it may have been a good move to avoid direct competition.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
As someone who both loved the weird topdown attempts at mimicing 3D gaming rare did on handhelds (conkers pocket adventures,gruntys revenge) and weird and complex overworld maps for 2d platformers (like DKC3) the overworld sections have me interested the most

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DKC3, the sequel? With David Wise?

Looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more interesting than the first one

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Being a huge Donkey Kong Country fan this has me cautiously excited. If there's gonna be no more from Retro (for the time being) then I look forward to this!

The overhead sections remind me a bit of the isometric-ish style of platformers that were somewhat popular on GBA. I was wondering if those would ever make a return.

Fun fact, before Rare joined Nintendo back in the day, Rare pioneered the isometric platformer genre back on the ZX Spectrum with Knight Lore :)

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
This fits an indie developer with limited resources much better. They can make a better game with a reduced scope.

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
As long as they polish up the movement, weight, and control of the character, and make the challenges better than the previous game, then this could potentially be amazing.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Here's some general info via the Playtonic website...

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is a 2D Platforming Adventure Hybrid. Master Yooka and Laylee's medley of moves and traverse through charming and challenging 2D levels packed to the brim with collectibles, vibrant environments, and a bumbling batch of baddies to battle. Then, pull up your adventuring boots and explore a sprawling 3D overworld that boasts a wealth of puzzles, game-changing secrets, special challenges and a cast of colourful characters to chat to. You'll meet some familiar faces, and some new ones, as you help Queen Phoebee restore order to the Royal Stingdom.

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair isn't a direct sequel. We've got lots planned for the future of the Yooka-Laylee universe, but we want to approach each with a fresh take, as each game is an opportunity for us to add new mechanics and gameplay that isn't necessarily limited to what's happened before.

https://www.playtonicgames.com/new-game-yooka-laylee-and-the-impossible-lair/

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Yooka-Laylee was not a good game, so hopefully they have better luck making a game that's not in the style of Banjo-Kazooie.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Looks solid, somewhat disappointed that they aren't trying their hand at another 3D platformer.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
This looks like "pretty much DKC" but Yooka-Laylee looked like "pretty much Banjo-Kazooie" and that didn't turn out so great, so I'm cautious with this.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Eh. As a fan of the first game, this isn't really what I wanted to see out of a sequel (or another Playtonic game for that matter). There's already a billion 2D platformers that come out weekly, I was hoping they'd do another 3D platformer or mix it up with another genre. Still might pick it up, especially if it's got the DKC approach and the overworld might shake things up but I dunno. It's not really what I was hoping for them to announce, so I'm disappointed.

But at least they got my mans David doing music with Grant, so that's a point in its favor.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
There's something I can't quite put my finger on with their collision engine or the feedback that interactions between the characters and objects/environment produce. A sort of weightlessness or disconnect, or lack of "umpf" that makes everything the characters do seem like they lack punch.

Also why is the footage at 30fps? This better be 60fps...

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I assume this will be the bad copy of Tropical Freeze like the first one was a bad copy of Banjo.

Footage already feels slighty off and comparing yourself with one of the GOATs in TF will be harsh for them.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Interesting direction, but don't trust them on level design after the first game. Will need to wait for impressions/gameplay before considering.

And that title logo is awful lol

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I like the direction they took here. Loved the first game, but Im also a big fan of the original Donkey Kong Country games. Will def be getting this.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
My wife will like this, since there doesn't seem to be a 3D camera. Top down and 2D sidescrolling she can do.

Wish it had co-op though.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
My wife will like this, since there doesn't seem to be a 3D camera. Top down and 2D sidescrolling she can do.

Wish it had co-op though.

So much, this.

My girlfriend is an immensely clever human being, with many, many talents. But ask her to control a camera AND a character at the same time and her brain falls out of her arse.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad that Yooka Laylee gets to live on as a brand. The game was really good and the team has my full support

I'm interested in this especially, as I've always preferred DK Country to Banjo

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
giphy.gif

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My four-year-old absolutely loved the original game, but I'm not sure how she'll feel about the changes.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I backed the first game on Kickstarter but by the time it came out had lost interest and never bothered playing it (and I mostly backed it for the soundtrack anyway). This on the other hand looks fantastic

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
Was not expecting this at all but interested. I haven't been keeping up with news since the first game released.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Looks a little stiff, but loved YL and am sure I'll love this as well. Just tell me where to preorder.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2D PLATFORMER?! fml i have to buy this, i wasn't interested in the original at all but i can't say no to this.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Never got around to playing the first game but absolutely love the art/characters with this IP.

That was a fun surprise