• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What a fantastic idea. Given the reception the first game got I'm waiting until release to see how this one fairs but it's looking pretty promising, and I'd love to play a good new sidescroller like this.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Why does this trailer run at like 20fps or something? Looks so slow and choppy!

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
So this games' version of expanded levels then? Meaning you'll be wanting to unlock the altered level as soon as possible? Or does it work differently.The expanded level system was a bit rubbish, there wasn't really any reason to explore a level before expanding it.

E: upon rewatching I see there are separate coins(?) for the two versions of the levels.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love this stage changing mechanic. It doesn't completely flip them into something different, but it does make traversing through them a second time more interesting.

Still wish the game had more than twenty levels. And hopefully the whole game gets super polished. This has a choppy frame rate and even the E3 demo had bugs in it during a live Treehouse demonstration.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I love this stage changing mechanic. It doesn't completely flip them into something different, but it does make traversing through them a second time more interesting.

Still wish the game had more than twenty levels. And hopefully the whole game gets super polished. This has a choppy frame rate and even the E3 demo had bugs in it during a live Treehouse demonstration.

Was trying to google and couldn't find anything, where did you hear there were 20 stages only?

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For those who haven't seen the gameplay demos:

Was trying to google and couldn't find anything, where did you hear there were 20 stages only?
Over the course of the 20 stages, you travel across diverse locales like forests, towns, and even a blimp in the sky, and encounter all sorts of obstacles and baddies.
There are 20 levels to navigate through and an overworld map to get between the levels. The cool thing about the overworld map is that there's more to do than just walk between the interesting parts. There are exploration and puzzle-solving aspects in the overworld, and certain activities in the overworld will unlock the second version for each level.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I believe it was in the Treehouse segment. There are 20 stages, each with an alternate version.

Thank you both! My google fu is apparently shitty this morning. With two versions for each plus the over world, it should still be a pretty meaty game I hope. Very excited for it.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw that IGN has some new gameplay, running at 60 FPS as intended.

Edit: nvmd Arta is on the BALL

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks great. And It seems they nailed Y-L movements in this. Will be the DKC Returns that I've been waiting for?

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's so great that Playstation fans get this DKC taste of platforming goodness. I really want this game to succeed.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Man the animations looks so much better here than in the original Yooka Laylee. Hopefully the next 3D platformer takes after this one in terms of animation.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
when is this coming out?

An official release date is still TBA, but the one that has been set on the Steamworks site is somewhere between September 20th and 24th as per the game's position in the Upcoming list when ordered by date (it's sandwiched between Climbros and See Me). There's no saying how accurate that is, though; it could be outdated or a placeholder.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Looking good. Hopefully they apply their lessons from this and YL1 and make another 3D platformer in the future.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
The framerate is awful and it's not YouTube as the stream is 60hz. Wonder what platform that footage is running on.

They said on the Y-L Discord that the framerate wasn't indicative of the final product and that they plan to recapture the footage, it runs at 60 FPS even on Switch.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
An official release date is still TBA, but the one that has been set on the Steamworks site is somewhere between September 20th and 24th as per the game's position in the Upcoming list when ordered by date (it's sandwiched between Climbros and See Me). There's no saying how accurate that is, though; it could be outdated or a placeholder.

Interesting, thanks for posting this JaseC! The Nintendo Life article about the trailer says Q4 2019 but I'm not sure where that release period comes from.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reminds me of Wario Land and Mega Man X
but then applied to all levels? Pretty cool

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
This is one of my most anticipated games for the rest of the year. Can't wait! Don't know which platform I want it on, though, either PS4 or Switch.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
More level change gameplay from IGN

Aside from the way the enemies pass through platforms at 1.15, which looks a little cheap, everything looks fantastic. I'm gonna clear the schedule when this releases. Day one on Steam and if there's a physical version on Switch, I'll get it there as well :)

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, looking pretty great, gotta be one of the more interesting overworlds for a 2d platformer ever, and the fact that it affects the levels when you change things in the overworld is really cool. Hope it reviews well.

Slai-Man

Oct 25, 2017
You can get to the last level directly, but of course you need more health to really stand a chance, so this idea will work perfectly with the whole concept as a side content but an important one.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
This reminds me of Wario Land 1 levels, but more developed. I love this shit. Revisiting levels to see the changes and find new treasures or exits.