• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
In an interview with Famitsu, translated by https://twitter.com/_KH_ENGLISH and posted on Kingdom Hearts Insider, Melody of Memory producer Ichiro Hazama, director Tetsuya Nomura and co-director Masanobu Suzui (director of the Final Fantasy Theatrhythm games) talked about the upcoming rhythm game. When speaking about the KH game's composer, Yoko Shimomura, they had this to say:

What did Shimomura say about this game?

Hazama:
Apparently she really enjoys playing the Theatrhythm series, and she has asked us many times over the years if we would make a Kingdom Hearts one. I am sure she is looking forward to this game, and I think we have made something that will satisfy her.

Suzui: Once I met Shimomura at a cherry blossom viewing picnic, and she gave me the full set of Kingdom hearts series CDs. She gave me this "you know what to do now, right?" smile (laughs), so I am sure she's been hoping for us to make a Kingdom Hearts series rhythm game for a long time.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I hope this reaches the same standard as those games, but it doesn't look great so far.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love Theatrhythm Curtain Call so much, and I'm so glad this KH game will exist too.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Later this year:

Famitsu: "Itsuno-san, how did your new action game project begin?"

Hideaki Itsuno: "So one day Toriyama-san gave us a full set of Lightning figures and dolls..."

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Did Curtain Call ever get any Legend of Mana tunes? That's one of her best works in my mind, and I'd certainly play a Mana Theatrhythm game.

Nov 4, 2018
Yoko is the reason I take half of this series seriously. Kingdom Hearts would not be where it is today without her music.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Shimomura dropping KH music on the Theatrhythm guy like

giphy.gif

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
She is a true Goddess. I am all for Soken but I can't say I won't miss her in FFXVI. She is a strong contender with Uematsu for greatest Square composer and doesn't get nearly enough respect.

Oct 25, 2017
Did Curtain Call ever get any Legend of Mana tunes? That's one of her best works in my mind, and I'd certainly play a Mana Theatrhythm game.
finalfantasy.fandom.com

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call downloadable content

Below is a list of downloadable content (DLC) available for Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call, which consists of bonus Field and Battle Music Sequences and additional playable characters. The DLC is split into two schedules, "The First Performance", which ran from April to August 2014 in...

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so they did a rhythm game because the composer asked? Not because they had data that an music game would be appealing to the market, had interest within the fanbase, looked at past sales of music games they did, seen that a rhythm game reusing assets could be developed quickly and generate a good bunch of revenue while maintaining interest in the series, but because a composer asked? Sure, i'll believe it........................

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I haven't played a theatrhythm game, but I will probably buy this because I'm a kingdom hearts sucker, and I love shimomura's music. I hope the game is ok

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Good on Yoko ha!
Nice to have something to celebrate the KH music.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so they did a rhythm game because the composer asked? Not because they had data that an music game would be appealing to the market, had interest within the fanbase, looked at past sales of music games they did, seen that a rhythm game reusing assets could be developed quickly and generate a good bunch of revenue while maintaining interest in the series, but because a composer asked? Sure, i'll believe it........................
Pretty clear that's not what the devs are saying. Sounds more like they're happy they finally have the opportunity to make a game the composer has wanted for a while since Nomura needed another small title for moving the series forward to the next chapter.

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty clear that's not what the devs are saying. Sounds more like they're happy they finally have the opportunity to make a game the composer has wanted for a while since Nomura needed another small title for moving the series forward to the next chapter.
I know that :P(Should have worded better). If they did just because of a composer desire, that would be a surefire sign of a mismanaged company(Tough sometimes great games are born from one person or other being assertive to game directors/producers).

Nov 23, 2017
I love Yoko Shimomura a lot. She's such a sweet, passionate person. Meeting her a couple years ago was a real joy. I'm more excited about this game than any of the day one next gen titles.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Yoko Shimomura deserved better than a game that reused PlayStation 2 assets. That's not a statement on the quality of the game itself, but rather, what was to be expected after Kingdom Hearts III.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
I know that :P(Should have worded better). If they did just because of a composer desire, that would be a surefire sign of a mismanaged company(Tough sometimes great games are born from one person or other being assertive to game directors/producers).

What actually happened is still pretty silly. Disney just randomly remembered SE pitched a rhythm game and gave their approval to move forward with the project lol

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Cool to know that Shimomura likes Theatrhythm. Not only does she make great game music, she also has great taste in video games.

Mana Theatrhythm would be sooooooo good. That series has amazing music.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Both Theatrhythms were amazing, and I've always wanted one for Kingdom Hearts so I was really happy when this was announced. I definitely wasn't expecting it go fully 3D, though I guess with the hardware you may as well. I also think it's kind of cool it ties in with the story as well. You couldn't really do that with FF due to the nature of each entry being its own thing, so it makes sense here.

Yoko Shimomura is a treasure.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I will buy anything more Theatrhythm. But I did prefer stylus mode, so idk how that will feel on Switch.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
They should have made a Theathrym Kingdom Hearts then, instead of the non-replayability of what we're getting.
Without leveling or maps/treasures to get, it'll be a once and done game sadly. Especially since it'll have mich much less tracks.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
They should have made a Theathrym Kingdom Hearts then, instead of the non-replayability of what we're getting.
Without leveling or maps/treasures to get, it'll be a once and done game sadly. Especially since it'll have mich much less tracks.

What are you talking about? it has levels, haven't you seen any footage of it

QgFWDHO.png

There is also an entire synthesis system so there is stuff to get for re-playability. Also it has a 140 tracks, Curtain Call is the only other Theatrhythm game with more tracks then this but that's because it's an updated release. It beat out the Original Theatrhythm and DQ Theatrhythm by double

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Yoko should do the same thing with Street Fighter. Playing Ken's Theme in a rhythm game is a dream.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Didn't know that MoM was by the Theatrythm director, very interested now. All the Theatrythm games were awesome, even imported DQ.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reminder that KH was born because Nomura met a disney exec in an elevator.

The idea comes first, THEN you market research it, and if it's a go, it's a go

But it has to start somewhere

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Didn't know that MoM was by the Theatrythm director, very interested now. All the Theatrythm games were awesome, even imported DQ.
That explains why it's basically a variation of theatrythm. That's dissapointing to me since I actually kinda hated Theatrythm; it wasn't a good rhythm game to me. (And I hate that art style!)

Although, it makes me happy that this wasn't just Nomura being weird again, but rather something someone else actually wanted to make. Shimomura is talented!