• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who was stronger?

• Palpatine

Votes: 203 63.4%
  • Yoda

Votes: 117 36.6%

• Total voters

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Because Rule of Two.

Anakin can bring the personification of the Light Side and Dark side to their new knees.

And Palpatine knew of Anakin's incredible strength.

I understand rule of two, but I always thought you wanted an apprentice who had the potential to be stronger than you and that you could train, not someone who is powerful enough to unseat you at any time. Especially given how unstable prequel anakin was.

Feb 10, 2018
From my understanding palp gets stronger when he kills the jedi council members he takes on a more powerful state of the darkside.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I understand rule of two, but I always thought you wanted an apprentice who had the potential to be stronger than you and that you could train, not someone who is powerful enough to unseat you at any time. Especially given how unstable prequel anakin was.

Anakin has strong growth rates.

Him tapping into the dark side added like 10 levels to him.

The best thing that Obi Wan did for Palpatine was maim Anakin.

If Anakin had won, he's have immediately murdered Sidious and crown himself Emperor.

And Emperor Skywalker would've been easier to deal with politically than Emperor Palpatine.

Oct 28, 2017
So any truth to the theory that Palpatine saved Anakin by draining Padme's life force? And this is kind of supported by the way Lucas intercut between the two characters during her death and his rebirth?

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Palpatine kinda wrecked Yoda and laughed the whole time. Yoda was holding his own for a while but it was kinda obvious he was more interested in having fun than being serious.

Palpatine's weakness is his age. He can't physically fight for extended periods of time, as he showed when he was getting visibly tired against Maul and Savage and decided to stop playing with them.

Fighting with the Force, though? Yeah he could do that all day.

The only guy who could beat Palpatine in a fair duel was Windu but Palpatine had a cheat code in that bitch Anakin.

I'm still conflicted about this. We know Palpatine threw the fight to make Anakin choose between him and the Jedi, but could Windu have beaten him if Anakin never showed up? Or was Palpatine playing with Windu the way he played with Yoda and Maul?

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
Jesus, ain't it obvious? Yoda himself escapes through a duct crawling like a bitch admitting the need to go into exile. There is no doubt.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
k9rhgpe8xql21.jpg

Oct 29, 2017
Isn't like the whole point of the original trilogy that the dark side is stronger, but corrupts those who give in to it? Not sure why Palpatine wouldn't be the strongest force user.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Both were evenly matched during most of the fight. Only at the end, after their force clash, Palpatine was able to get a clear grip on the platform while Yoda was unable to fell down hard on the Senate floor, he was too hurt to keep fighting, so Palpatine won, but it had more to do with luck than being more powerful than Yoda. Had their places been reversed, I'm pretty sure Yoda would have easily finished Sheev.

Add that Mace Windu clearly beat him fair and square and I can't help but conclude that, while he is a impressive schemer and mastermind, he wasn't some sort of unbeatable fighter and clearly had limits to how much he could actually pull off.
I'm pretty sure it's stated with Mace Windu in a lightsaber fight you ain't beating him dude was just a god of lightsaber

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
It always seemed to me that Yoda ran out of time to take Palpatine out more than anything. Didn't a bunch of reinforcements arrive right after Yoda fell? Seemed like he wouldn't have time to go all the way back up in the Senate to start round 2.

Past that, it looked like a total stalemate to me. That's the best the plot would allow for anyway.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yoda had every reason to finish the job then and there even if it meant sacrificing his own life in doing so. The fact that he left and went into exile rather than staying and killing Sheev says it all, to me.

That is my thought too. The fate of the galaxy was at stake. If he could have bested him, he would have.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Palpatine of course. He kicked that green fucker's ass so bad that he retreated and hid like the coward he is. It's no wonder Luke took the almost the same course of action. Look at the coward that taught him.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Palpatine obviously.

Force Combat : Palpatine Wins.
Force Politics(?) : Palaptine Wins huge.

He dinglehandedly dismantled Jedi order and Yoda's ear didn't even turned.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whenever I think of Yoda I get a little sad realizing we only ever see 20 years of his life in the 900 years he's been alive. I want to know what the hell he experienced during those 900 years.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Ehhhhhh, it's been heavily debated and theorized that Palpatine lost that fight with Windu at the opportune moment on purpose (sensing that Anakin was nearby and on his way) and I don't really see anything to refute that.

Palpatine was the last descendant of the Rule of Two. Every time a sith took the place of their master for 500 years prior (at least in the old canon which IMO is canon until its replaced) they had to be stronger to do it. He was the one who was strong enough and who was destined to have the Sith re-take the galaxy, and that wouldn't have been the case had there been a Jedi still strong enough to overtake him (argument there for Anakin to be the one to do it, but obviously Palpatine's plan there worked out).

There's an awesome line in the Darth Plagueis book where Plagueis is lecturing Palpatine about lightsaber fighting, and he basically says "We as the Sith have grown past Lightsaber fighting, and now we only maintain it as a fighting technique to embarrass the Jedi."

Nah, I think Palpatine lost that Windu fight on purpose, and him and Yoda were almost evenly matched - but he was still stronger. And keep in mind, Yoda was 800 years old and Palpatine was a human, only having trained with the force for that amount of time. And it's not just the end of the fight where that's clear, it's the entire thing. Yoda appears like he's really focused and putting all of his effort in whereas Palpatine is having the time of his life. It's only in that final moment where he actually looks a little frightened that Yoda matches him, but he still comes out on top there.

Not only that, but Yoda straight up admits defeat and buggers off to Dagobah. If he knew he was the stronger force-user, he would've got right back into the ring for round 2, but he was totally spent and admitted defeat. I also think that's why in ROTJ he's so adamant to tell Luke "beware the Emperor's power".

Can't really cite the books over the creator. The old canon is all over the place. Clone Wars series shows that even during Palpatine's time the Rule of Two was being ignored. Mace was one of the most difficult Jedi to face in a Lightsaber fight due to his ability to use Vaapad. Sheev lost the saber fight and without Anakin as a distraction it's unknown whether he would've been able to utilize his force powers to reverse his situation.

OP
OP
Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lucas said that only Mace(as well as Yoda and Anakin) could contend with Palpatine which is those others that Mace brought with him were dusted. Mace and Palpatine were having a real match and Palpatine straight up lost.

Contend with, not defeat. Only Anakin could truly defeat Sheev. There's plenty of evidence to suggest Palpatine deliberately lost the fight against Windu.

Even if Windu disarmed Palps fair and square, the latter's skill in the force is much stronger than Windu's. If Anakin never showed up, I'd imagine Palps would have won.

Mar 30, 2019
These Palp votes have my heart aflutter. I think I need a tall glass of rich, chocolate, UNLLLIIIMMIIITTTEDD PPOOOOOOWWWWAAAAAHHHH!!!

Deleted member 41638

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Well according to TLJ doesn't the force auto-balance so if there are 100 light side ppl the 2 dark side ppl have to be equally as powerful?

Yoda did seem more calm during the fight though, he was able to counter force lightning and Palpy looked like he was losing the lightsaber battle. It was the 100+ft fall that did Yoda in.

OP
OP
Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well according to TLJ doesn't the force auto-balance so if there are 100 light side ppl the 2 dark side ppl have to be equally as powerful?

Yoda did seem more calm during the fight though, he was able to counter force lightning and Palpy looked like he was losing the lightsaber battle. It was the 100+ft fall that did Yoda in.

I mean, Palpy was laughing the whole fight and looking like he was having the time of his life.

Oct 25, 2017
Yoda clearly had the upper hand at the end. He was controlling Sidious' lightning and the only reason he lost was because he fell.

He had that fight won.

It did seem like he only lost because the plot needed him to. Got suddenly sloppy right at the end. He was dominating for the majority of the actual fight. Dodging anything Sheev threw at him, catching the lightning like it aint shit. Right at the beginning made him look like a fuckin idiot rolling over his own desk.

I'm gonna say that Yoda is more skilled but Sheev has better endurance and call this a shrug.
But if I have to choose one for the poll, I guess I choose Sidious because Yoda never tried to face him again. So it seems like he made a personal choice that he couldn't get it done himself. Again for plot reasons.

OP
OP
Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It did seem like he only lost because the plot needed him to. Got suddenly sloppy right at the end. He was dominating for the majority of the actual fight. Dodging anything Sheev threw at him, catching the lightning like it aint shit. Right at the beginning made him look like a fuckin idiot rolling over his own desk.

I'm gonna say that Yoda is more skilled but Sheev has better endurance and call this a shrug.
But if I have to choose one for the poll, I guess I choose Sidious because Yoda never tried to face him again. So it seems like he made a personal choice that he couldn't get it done himself. Again for plot reasons.

Did you miss the beginning? :p

In the novelization it's said Yoda ran away because he realized he couldn't beat Sheev, because unlike the sith, the jedi didn't evolve.

Oct 25, 2017
Did you miss the beginning? :p

In the novelization it's said Yoda ran away because he realized he couldn't beat Sheev, because unlike the sith, the jedi didn't evolve.
Just a flesh wound
Probably didn't even know he had that shit up his sleeve, practically a sucker punch
Got a handle on it soon after

But I guess that quote from the novel solidifies my vote for Sheeven Q. Palpatine.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
On an off note, the Emperor looked like he was having fun, from part 1 all the way to right before Darth Vader picked him up.

Dude had the time of his life and went out in a blaze of (evil) glory.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
On an off note, the Emperor looked like he was having fun, from part 1 all the way to right before Darth Vader picked him up.

Dude had the time of his life and went out in a blaze of (evil) glory.
Can you imagine the sheer orgasmic elation of being the one who successfully executes a 1000 year plan where you defeat your religion's eternal enemies and take total control the galaxy? The joy experienced by Sheev in ROTS is nearly unrivaled in fiction, breaking character and hootin and hollerin as everything comes together.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Contend with, not defeat. Only Anakin could truly defeat Sheev. There's plenty of evidence to suggest Palpatine deliberately lost the fight against Windu.

Even if Windu disarmed Palps fair and square, the latter's skill in the force is much stronger than Windu's. If Anakin never showed up, I'd imagine Palps would have won.

Like I said, Lucas said that Mace beat Palpatine in a duel.

Palpatine barely beat Yoda so I really doubt that Palpatine was playing around with Mace when Mace is as strong as Yoda.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Sheev, but not by a lot. I think it's totally understandable that he would want to avoid that fight if he could.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Mace may be a good duelist but Yoda is universally considered to be the most powerful Jedi.
Well fights aren't just about which has a higher force power level if the gap isn't too massive. Skillsets, environment, mental state, etc, bunch of things can change an outcome. Anakin vs Obi Wan is the biggest testament to that. Mace vs Yoda would more than likely end in a Yoda victory(legends EU referenced duels between them with Yoda always winning) however Mace's specific skillset works better against Sheev than Yoda's. That's how the novelization went about it with vaapad being super effective against dark side users. Now the canon status of the novel is eh......

The lightsaber forms still exist in the new canon at any rate as they were mentioned in Rebels.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
I think Yoda underestimated Palpatine at first but then when he was about to overtake him he got blasted to the ground. He probably figured it was a lost cause without a lightsaber and realized Stormtroopers might be there soon so he cut and run.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

It's said that Mace could not only deflect Force Lightning with his saber, that he could re-direct it at it's original user. The Force Lightning is the only Ace up the Sleeve of Palpatine in that moment, so it's hard to argue that simply being stronger in The Force would have been enough. Have to chalk it up to, "we don't know what would have happened," because we simply don't.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yoda had every reason to finish the job then and there even if it meant sacrificing his own life in doing so. The fact that he left and went into exile rather than staying and killing Sheev says it all, to me.
This is my feeling as well. If Yoda thought he really had a shot he would have continued the fight. But after seeing how strong Palpatine was he had to do a tactical retreat to figure out how to defeat Sheev later.