• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the MK12 thread shown me that many people don't know much about modern hip hop.. THere seem to a view that hip hop is lesser than other form of music . For one not every new rapper is a mumble rapper. Like 21 savage isnt a mumble rapper in the slightest.

Like this aint mumble rap

Not every new rapper is a soundcloud rapper. Hip hop is a ever changing gerne with 100s of great artist. This idea that hip hop is in shadow of it formers self is deeply flawed. In this modern era we witness some of the great albums in music history.
I mean damn came out last year

These are some of the great song

Is there more bad shit out today, eh not really, there is just better access to the bad shit but the same can be said about good stuff.

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I've always hated that term. Most rappers that get labelled "mumble rappers" ain't even mumbling. Just a dumb buzzword used to dismiss.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Yeah but the style shown in this video is still wack though. There is the mumble rappers and then there is this Kendrick Lamar/Childish Gambino flow that is also ass.

That and they all sound soft. It still sounds like a downgrade from the shit that knocked down the doors for these weak soft flows to get on the scene.

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
Nothing wrong with mumble rap. Playboi Carti had one of the best albums this year.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but the style shown in this video is still wack though. There is the mumble rappers and then there is this Kendrick Lamar/Childish Gambino flow that is also ass.

That and they all sound soft. It still sounds like a downgrade from the shit that knocked down the doors for these weak soft flows to get on the scene.

Go home.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oh no baby what you doing

OP
OP
Heromanz

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What? Like why are you comparing Kendrick and childish Gambino? And that video is not even close to Kendrick stlye

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I like some mumble rap. Hip hop is still really good. That being said, the song in the OP sucks. And I can't speak for everyone, but I have a general hate and jadedness towards everything that is new and everything that is different than what I like.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
What? Like why are you comparing Kendrick and childish Gambino?
Cause they both rhyme the same way
That flow is garbage.

Kendrick imo brings shame to the MC's that came before him in that location . Childish Gambino shouldn't even be running around with that name Imo. With that said he should have stuck to his old flow instead of the one he used on This is America.

I blame the audience and the youth for letting this shit flourish. They let these soft dudes get popular.

Apr 16, 2018
I mean, the song you posted is still trash and 21 Savage still isn't good, mumble rap or not, so what's really your point?

That flow is garbage.

Kendrick imo brings shame to the MC's that came before him in that location . Childish Gambino shouldn't even be running around with that name Imo. With that said he should have stuck to his old flow instead of the one he used on This is America.

I blame the audience and the youth for letting this shit flourish. They let these soft dudes get popular.

But nah, you wildin. Gambino and Kendrick don't rap near the same. In fact, Kendrick uses a different flow on damn near every song. His cadence and mic presence is the most versatile of any mainstream emcee, right now.

And Gambino don't even rap anymore. He's never rhymed like Kendrick, because he's always styled his delivery around Lil Wayne and his punchlines are Kanye-level corny, which makes sense as he believes himself to be Kanye's son.

Stop exposing yourself in here, bruh. You clearly don't listen to either of these dudes enough to make a credible judgment on their skills, and this is from someone who doesn't like either of them.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
That flow is garbage.

Did you live through the late 2000s. This is not new

Also it's weird to say that Kendrick has a generic flow. Too verbose for his own good? maybe a little bit but untitled 02 is a fucking clinic

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OP I think some of these people don't listen to rap in general. Like with that MK 11 trailer, a lot of people are metalheads or whatever else and just caught a nice buzzword to use regardless whether it's applicable or not.
There are tons of these folks on gaming side, it's not that bad here.
That flow is garbage.

Kendrick flows like garbage? What?

Did you really just compare OP's example to this? The fuck are you talking about lol.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
OP I think some of these people don't listen to rap in general. Like with that MK 11 trailer, a lot of people are metalheads or whatever else and just caught a nice buzzword to use regardless whether it's applicable or not.
There are tons of these folks on gaming side, it's not that bad here.

Kendrick flows like garbage? What?

Did you really just compare OP's example to this? The fuck are you talking about lol.

You had to dig back to 2011 to find when he was somewhat competent and now he flows like the guy in the OP. Whatever you call that style? I think it's ass. Give me that punch you in the face and stomp you out with timbs style any day over this.

Same thing with the MK trailer. Some people hate the trailer music because that shit is not hip hop to them.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You had to dig back to 2011 to find when he was somewhat competent
"Somewhat" lol
and now he flows like the guy in the OP.
No he doesn't. At all.
Whatever you call that style? I think it's ass. Give me that punch you in the face and stomp you out with timbs style any day over this.
Not sure why you ask for a specific description of a style when you make up random shit yourself right here lol.
Even if I did the same you would still confuse Kendircks flow with Metro Boomin's for some inane reason.
Same thing with the MK trailer. Some people hate the trailer music because that shit is not hip hop to them.
Some people are sad then. You can still enjoy the stuff you like without misslabeling other styles and talk shit about it constantly.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You had to dig back to 2011 to find when he was somewhat competent and now he flows like the guy in the OP. Whatever you call that style? I think it's ass. Give me that punch you in the face and stomp you out with timbs style any day over this.

Bro what

Deleted member 23091

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hate trap beats as much I hate mumble rap. Boom bap and G-funk are still the best rap genres. I agree that the 21 Savage's song isn't mumble rap, it's just bad rap.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
That flow is garbage.

4bUV7Ls.gif

Ya'll fascination with someone being/appearing 'hard" is some other shit. I can understand if it's just a preference thing, but for a other folks just because your favorites are hard doesn't mean you are.

I really liked J.I.D's new release this year. Modern Atlanta sound with great substance.

Earthgang is great too from ATL

OP
OP
Heromanz

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That flow is garbage.

but they don't, i am donald glover barely even raps anymore and when he did he didnt some like kendrick.

Oct 27, 2017
OP, I agree 100%. I walked in that MK11 thread and got exactly what I expected. I hate when people use 'mumble rap' as some pejorative to downplay modern hip-hop. I think there's something deeply racist about it. Like it sends the message of "you're not speaking English the 'right way'", which is a prejudiced idea that has existed for years. Modern hip-hop artists are constantly breathing new life into the genre.

Aight, bet, then here's something from 2015

Here's something from 2017

The fact of the matter is that Kendrick Lamar, at his best, displays such a profound amount of technical precision and microphone presence that he has a legitimate claim to being the GOAT. All of that combines with powerful and thoughtful lyrics. Like "For Free?" is a mixed meter, rhythmically complex song about how he feels pimped by the record industry and likens it to the way black men have be sexualized, in this country, for centuries.

You're showin your ass here dude.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is well intentioned and will probably have some good recs but the people who need to be reached don't really leave gaming side.

Yep, this thread is directed at the wrong section of posters. But as you said, the intent is good and there are posters that participate in EtcetEra that this will be useful for anyway.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, Trap is why people don't like modern rap music. Mumble is annoying, but can work in some instances. Trap is like if you solely focused on production and disregarded the chorus and the verses. So much good music production is wasted on this subsection of rap.

2010-2014>2015-2019; even Kendrick can't save this half of the decade.

AtomLung

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine saying we are getting some of the best albums in music history and then providing ASTROWORLD as an example. Like how much music have you actually listened to bro? I agree with the premise of the thread though.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I always considered "mumble rap" just the bad to non existent flow of Chief Keef or Future at their worst.

I can see how the song in OP would be called mumble rap. Or talk rap.

It's just kinda..... weak.

OP
OP
Heromanz

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine saying we are getting some of the best albums in music history and then providing ASTROWORLD as an example. Like how much music have you actually listened to bro? I agree with the premise of the thread though.
Astroworld is a fantastic album and has had tremendous commercial success

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm old.

Someone please actually define 'mumble rap' for me so I can make sense of this thread. Provide canonical examples of where it started and where it's at right now.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That flow is garbage.

You're showing everyone you don't onow what you're talkimg about. They don't nearly the same at all and as much as I love Donald Glover, he's not a very good rapper to be compared to Kendrick. He doesn't even rap anymore anyway.

Feb 4, 2018
Someone just made yet another MK11 music thread on gaming side lol.

I hate how the term mumble rap gets thrown around. Just because a rapper isn't going super hard, it doesn't mean they're mumbling. Let dudes be "soft" for Pete's sake.