• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Played an hour and a half or so, through to the morning after the factory hotel segment. I worry that I'll grow tired of the combat and there are a couple janky technical elements that are frustrating, but the music, visuals, story, and overall vibe are... very intriguing. At least so far, it's very much on the specific "weird fucking shit" wavelength that I was always hoping it'd occupy based on its trailers over the years.

So yeah, tentatively on board. Excited to get back to it tomorrow.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
DxJ5q_1VYAAkzkD.jpg

DxJ5qUrUcAAe_km.jpg

DxJ74u9UwAEHmam.jpg

yikes

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
That middle message (the "listen up" one) is giving me reddit/edgy teen vibes, like something you would find on r/iamverysmart or something.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I saw a Steam review downvoting this because there were so few POC in the game. Is this the only black character in YIIK?
If you're talking about the same Steam review I saw... It's almost certainly mocking PoC and progressives. The reviewer throws the typical alt-right rhetoric in there and masquerades as a 'outraged' progressive. Rather poorly I might add. It literally says does the 'Orange man bad' meme and soy nonsense. Don't believe a single word of it.

Now as for your question, as far as I see in the marketing and game there are two black characters, one man and one woman. I don't know if there are more in the game.

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the RPS review was posted yet (unscored):
YIIK might have been able to get away with some of its issues if other areas were able to pick up the slack. I've sat through plenty of tiresome combat to find out what happens in a story, and a convoluted plot can be fine if it's allowed to breathe through interesting characters. But Alex himself is this game's millennium bug, preventing the player from even rooting for their own actions, because they are all filtered through this deeply unlikable proxy.

After all, he's the most important person in the universe.
The reviewer didn't like it.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is the main character supposed to be a huge asshole that we don't like or is just another Tim Buckley on CAD where the author thinks that he is the coolest dude ever?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

The dev's goal with Alex. He also goes into the online message board bit.

The RPS review also touches on this:
RPS said:
It's made evident enough from his everyday interactions, like the way that he complains about being asked to do minor tasks by his mother, who paid his way through college. In case those were too subtle, though, he eventually blows up and screams that he doesn't care about the death of a 12-year-old girl, just to hammer the point home. Other characters call him out on it, but inexplicably remain his friend even though he continues to treat them like garbage.

Then, he is not given a redemption arc so much as an arc where he quite literally becomes the most important person in the universe and so all must be forgiven.

Although the dev's twitter chain implies there's another path or something? I haven't played it myself, but I haven't seen any review mention otherwise yet. (Not that I've read them all.)

I'm of the mind that when criticism is deflected by saying "well, you played it wrong" (which is basically what the dev's twitter chain and one of the reviewers have said) that's more of a condemnation on the game than the reviewer. Like, again, I haven't played YIIK but the narrative forming that negative reviews "just don't get it" kinda sucks, IMO. There are games that are cult classics, or just difficult to get into, but that doesn't mean they're misunderstood--it means they're niche.

It's OK to like bad games, or even just imperfect ones; not every game someone likes has to be the best.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is the main character supposed to be a huge asshole that we don't like or is just another Tim Buckley on CAD where the author thinks that he is the coolest dude ever?
Yeah the MC is supposed to be a massive asshole that the audience despises and goes through a 'redemption' arc through the game. Whether it works or not seems to be up to the individual to be honest. He's almost too effective you could say, and spending so much time with him made some not enjoy the game overall. However, a good number of people do seem to love the game so...

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing reading all the stuff about Alex being a huge asshole kind of made me expect a lot worse. He just seems incredibly self indulgent and self absorbed.

The RPS review also touches on this:

Although the dev's twitter chain implies there's another path or something? I haven't played it myself, but I haven't seen any review mention otherwise yet. (Not that I've read them all.)

I'm of the mind that when criticism is deflected by saying "well, you played it wrong" (which is basically what the dev's twitter chain and one of the reviewers have said) that's more of a condemnation on the game than the reviewer. Like, again, I haven't played YIIK but the narrative forming that negative reviews "just don't get it" kinda sucks, IMO. There are games that are cult classics, or just difficult to get into, but that doesn't mean they're misunderstood--it means they're niche.

It's OK to like bad games, or even just imperfect ones; not every game someone likes has to be the best.

I think I read there are 2 possible endings.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
If you're talking about the same Steam review I saw... It's almost certainly mocking PoC and progressives. The reviewer throws the typical alt-right rhetoric in there and masquerades as a 'outraged' progressive. Rather poorly I might add. It literally says does the 'Orange man bad' meme and soy nonsense. Don't believe a single word of it.

Now as for your question, as far as I see in the marketing and game there are two black characters, one man and one woman. I don't know if there are more in the game.
The review seemed strange but all reviews on Steam seem strange to me. Good to hear that there is some variety in race.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Everyone talks about how the main character is the worst (by design, apparently), but are there any other likeable and well written characters?

There are plenty of games where the player character is not great.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, thanks!

If you find a reviewer that got that ending, be sure to shout it out. I'd love to read it.
I hope so, because that RPS review is making this seem more like YPPO: A Game of Entitlement.

I'll have to read around today and see if there really is a second ending with actual growth minus the savior complex.

Confirmation from the devs FAQ

How many endings does the game have?

Two endings. Both are very different, and both are canon.

Everyone talks about how the main character is the worst (by design, apparently), but are there any other likeable and well written characters?

There are plenty of games where the player character is not great.

Michael seems kind of dickish as well. He kind of seemingly exists at the moment to (deservingly) make fun of Alex. Vella so far is really likable. I just met Rory so the jury is out on him. Though he is voice acted by one of my personal favorite Youtubers so that's cool.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Thanks for the confirmation DNAbro.

I was in a sticky situation of finding out more about the differences in the endings without spoiling myself (nearly impossible), and so far, none of the youtube reviews I've watched mentioned it.

So yeah, I just may get this afterwork after all... but the deal breaker still remains those Switch load times. My PS4 backlog is too mighty for me to get that version.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Transgender people don't go by the names their parents gave them, because they've rejected that. Being asked to use that name is insensitive as a result.

For the vast majority of people in the world, this question is completely innocuous and just weirdly phrased. For a significant, however small, minority, it's deeply jarring.

It could just be avoided by changing the text to "What is the name you prefer to be known by?" or similar.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much everything is cherry picked and without context. Alex is portrayed as a piece of shit and every shitty outburst of his is met with his friends basically saying, "wow dude, stop being a piece of shit."

The whole story revolves around Alex becoming not a piece of shit from exposure to other people. If this is offensive...I don't know what to tell you.
How is potentially asking the player for a deadname not offensive?

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Pretty much everything is cherry picked and without context. Alex is portrayed as a piece of shit and every shitty outburst of his is met with his friends basically saying, "wow dude, stop being a piece of shit."

The whole story revolves around Alex becoming not a piece of shit from exposure to other people. If this is offensive...I don't know what to tell you.
The story of a white kid being "redeemed" by learning the slightest modicum of decency isn't a story worth telling, much less one that I should have to sit through for a "pay-off" that comes purely through watching a character realize he's a dick. It's a tired trope that needs to be retired.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The story of a white kid being "redeemed" by learning the slightest modicum of decency isn't a story worth telling, much less one that I should have to sit through for a "pay-off" that comes purely through watching a character realize he's a dick. It's a tired trope that needs to be retired.
This lol. I guess maybe is relatable for some white folks?

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
The dev claims ignorance on the transphobia, apologizes, and implies it will be changed in a future update:

It's a start, but they need to patch it as soon as humanly possible to fully make amends. Doesn't excuse the other problematic shit in the game though.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Uh... Ok.

It's not offensive to those who don't want to play it, it's insipid. A ton of minorities on here have to educate ignorant people around them every single day, they probably don't want to do that in game. Society in general is becoming more accepting, perhaps in part due to people going through similar arcs like that of Alex in the game. But that's not something a ton of people want to experience again, firsthand, especially when they come to video games to escape from some of those realities. And this game is so 'in-your-face' about it as a consequence of going through this type of narrative, making Alex the MC.

Personally, I am curious about this and might pick it up, perhaps in a sale. However, Alex sounds exactly like a shitty Redditor at some points and while it's definitely done for satire, I ain't laughing. (Not even talking about the offensive parts, I'm talking about the navel-gazey stuff that made me roll my eyes) In other games that's just a dumb NPC you're supposed to laugh at, not the MC you're stuck with for hours.

I'm not saying games can't do this at all, more that people are free to disengage from this game because they are justly uncomfortable with sheparding what amounts to a 'shitposter' through the game's environment. I have heard that the game has a much better done ending 'redemption' for Alex so hopefully thats worth it.

No amount of context and narrative backlash against Alex in the game is going to stop people from being frustrated at his behavior.

Now I do agree with you that calling the developer offensive is a mischaracterization at least without a deeper examination. It's more that he or she is perhaps ignorant as with regards to some stuff, like the 'deadname' parents thing. The 'point' of the game is indeed for a dumb hipster asshole who be educated so that's definitely a story worth tackling. It might have succeeded a bit too well for some people, just saying.

Edit: Cool that the dev patched it! That's definitely a positive in my book.

Last edited:

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I think I read there are 2 possible endings.

The requirements for one of the trophies is "Complete YIIK ending 1" implying there's at least 2 endings. And I read a tweet from the developer that mentioned a second possible ending (and said that you don't need to do NG+ to get it).

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh I think I soft locked the game, like incredibly easily too. There is a boss that summons invincible helper enemies that get 1 attack in and then get absorbed into the boss. I killed the boss before it could absorb the enemies and now I can't do anything to them nor can I run away.

edit: okay looked up a video and there seems to be a way to get rid of the enemies. my B, not broken but I have never even gotten that attack to work so didn't think to use it lol.

edit 2:
DxO2_fwU0AIINap.jpg

Last edited:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
So getting to the point where I'm really seeing why people don't like Alex

Spoilers for what occurs next that made go "ohhh he is an even bigger asshole"
You play a quick sequence inside of his own head where he is conversing with himself, telling himself he's such an asshole and that he should just apologize for being an asshole. Then it goes back to reality and he just doubles down on the asshole-ness lol

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

You play a quick sequence inside of his own head where he is conversing with himself, telling himself he's such an asshole and that he should just apologize for being an asshole. Then it goes back to reality and he just doubles down on the asshole-ness lol

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

I clicked into this thread without any knowledge of this game and saw this. Well, thanks and no thanks.

I am out.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is that I was so taken back by what Alex I didn't click the next button which is why there is a pause in the video.

A scene shortly after didn't help at all, they are laying it on thick.
His mom loses her job and he starts to get worried asking "what are we going to do about this" and asking her if she had savings and asking her why she didn't have savings. Surprise, it's his fault for taking an extra year and half for college. He doesn't even think about the degree he just got and the reason he went to college, and kind of self pities himself for having to get a job.

Also don't worry, I'll be bringing all the highlights for those who don't want to play the game and are just curious.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
real curious as to that second ending now. does Alex really become a better person in that ending?

at least with The World Ends With You, don't don't have to deal with asshole Neku for too long

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Why would anyone want to play this game?

I mean, I appreciated the concept at first, but literally everything I've seen since has just been off-putting as hell.

I wouldn't want to spend twenty seconds in an elevator with that piece of shit, much less play as him for an entire RPG.

Does he have any redeeming characteristics to latch onto? I'm fine with deeply flawed heroes, but he just seems to be a fuckstick.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
so... how is the game itself, aside from the questionable writing?

I mean I'm honestly enjoying myself. Music is absolutely top notch. I'm very interested in seeing where the story is going. Visuals have been creative, and trippy. Battles are mostly entertaining.

There are some issues though. If you fight a group of enemies and they do a "hit all party attack" you have to dodge for each individual character, so if there are multiple enemies all doing hit all attacks you might dodge like 10-12 times in a row which gets real annoying. The animations also take too long to happen so you are kind of holding down the "fast forward" button the whole time. The leveling up system is a bit weird and slow and you have to go to a place at save points in order to do so and the process takes a bit. Seems like there is story attached to leveling up though.

Why would anyone want to play this game?

I mean, I appreciated the concept at first, but literally everything I've seen since has just been off-putting as hell.

I wouldn't want to spend twenty seconds in an elevator with that piece of shit, much less play as him for an entire RPG.

Does he have any redeeming characteristics to latch onto? I'm fine with deeply flawed heroes, but he just seems to be a fuckstick.

At this point I just want to see what they are going to do with his character. He isn't charming or really likable. Which I honestly don't have an issue with, I'm just curious and invested enough to see where it's going with him.

The other characters seem fine though. Vella is real cool. Micheal is kind of a dick as well but it's often towards Alex so it's not as bad lol. Haven't gotten a read on Rory yet. Still some party members left to meet.

edit:

Notice how Vella immediately apologizes for blowing up.

Last edited:

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
The leveling mechanic is truly incredible in how slow and pointless it is. Go to a separate dungeon and physically walk inbetween doors to assign four points for every single level, all of which take 15+ seconds to open. Why would you do this

Exius

Banned
Jan 15, 2019
Feel bad for the developer looks like he's getting memed for basing the MC on himself.
uc0ow1wm17b21.png

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Am i missing something with alex' dmg? He still gets 1-2hp on all attacks whether I hit 1 combo or 8. Meanwhile everyone else is doing 12+. Are there hidden atk stats on weapons? I didnt buy the latest cause it had less str, but. The attack minigames seemingly mean diddly shit as long as you dont miss everything.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Am i missing something with alex' dmg? He still gets 1-2hp on all attacks whether I hit 1 combo or 8. Meanwhile everyone else is doing 12+. Are there hidden atk stats on weapons? I didnt buy the latest cause it had less str, but. The attack minigames seemingly mean diddly shit as long as you dont miss everything.

Buying the new weapons seems important cause they give you more minigame time. Like I have gotten up to 30+ combo with the one I'm currently using.

I thought this scene with Claudio and Chandra was great. They seem like really awesome characters so far.

Spoilers obviously

Honestly loving the game so far. I've been posting a ton of the crappier stuff so people have context from what was said in the reviews but overall I'm liking it. Not even when Alex is being a shitty person is it bringing it down.