• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for the longest time, the MC looked like the kind of person I'd try my damnest to avoid. unfortunately the reviews paint my fear as accurate

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Gonna be a yikes from me, chief.

Actually this year will also probably see the release of Knuckle Sandwich, which looks.... Well I mean, just look at it

I hope this one doesn't disappoint. Knuckle Sandwich is giving me the same vibes as YIIK did until just now, but seems less pretentious.

The options at the start of the game don't affect 90% of the game, including the hipster protagonist dude. Saying any more will be heavy spoilers though.

Let me guess. They try to recreate that trick from Earthbound when they try to trick you into giving your actual name to address you, the player, later in the game. Except people are more likely to input usernames so the impact's lost since it'll end up being a character appealing to "ChungusHater420" during the final boss fight.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn this is freaking depressing to see. I was actually looking forward to this game.

Even though I didn't care at all for the look of the main character I still liked what I had seen of the it visually speaking, and also the amazing talent they got to compose the soundtrack just made me excited for it but seeing these reviews yikes is really the only thing one can say.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Some of the reviews are very positive so it looks like this is just a divisive game. I'm still interested in trying it.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
YIIKECH indeed. The impressions from some of the reviews in both questionable content and battle system-wise is shifting me to a hard pass territory with this game. Too bad as I really like the art direction and some of the music samples of the game.

Sounds like the Mario RPG approach to battles taken to the extreme

It makes appreciate the Mario RPGs battle system even more. Should have just kept the more elaborate mini-game inputs for special attacks.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be a yikes from me, chief.

I hope this one doesn't disappoint. Knuckle Sandwich is giving me the same vibes as YIIK did until just now, but seems less pretentious.

Let me guess. They try to recreate that trick from Earthbound when they try to trick you into giving your actual name to address you, the player, later in the game. Except people are more likely to input usernames so the impact's lost since it'll end up being a character appealing to "ChungusHater420" during the final boss fight.

Knuckle Sandwich's demo was pretty impressive if they could keep up that quality across a full game. I also think Knuckle Sandwich will be just as long as it needs to going by the what the dev has said which is a positive.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd really like to see the divisive elements for myself, since based on what I've read about it, it almost seems like its about that hipster dude getting a drawn out wake up call about the real world, (I hope to god the two black people start opening eyes) which actually sounds like a grand ol time mind y'all, but I am deathly paranoid of games that glitch your progress.

HARD PASS until that stuff is fixed.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Knuckle Sandwich's demo was pretty impressive if they could keep up that quality across a full game. I also think Knuckle Sandwich will be just as long as it needs to going by the what the dev has said which is a positive.

Rad! 25 hr RPG's really need to sell themselves to me. If the ablest slur, load times, & glitches didn't already scare me off, the length might've. If Knuckle Sandwich is Undertale length, that'd be perfect.

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if this unlocks at midnight or noon tomorrow?
The developer's Twitter feed says 10AM PST tomorrow on Switch.
Can anyone with a Switch copy comment on the battle load times?
The game isn't out yet. Based on gameplay videos of the Switch version, we're looking at ~5 second load times for each battle.

---
I was excited about this one, and made the mistake of pre-ordering on Switch before I watched gameplay of the Switch version. The developer had mentioned that performance was fine on Switch, but he must've been referring to the frame rate and not load times. It's still better than the load times trying to play World of Light in Smash Ultimate, but after I saw the gameplay video of the Switch version I wondered if I should've gone for the PS4 version instead. No idea how that version compares, but I remember PS4 load times being okay when I played the demo at PSX. I realize that ~5 seconds isn't too bad, but if PS4 ends up being twice as fast than it might be more fun to play there. I stated in one of the previous threads that I suspect the reason the Vita version isn't ready at launch is probably because of performance, that seems more likely now that we know about the battle load times on Switch. I'm hoping that whatever they need to improve for Vita ends up as a patch for other consoles.

As for the other negative reviews, being an indie game I suspected that the writing could end up being a weak point. Especially since in the first minute of the game they break the 4th wall to explain that the developers intended for YIIK to be pronounced Y2K. So that's probably not going to bother me much.

Given that I've liked other RPGs that had bad reviews (Star Ocean 5 comes to mind) I'm still optimistic about this one. I'm actually glad to read about some of the negatives now because it'll be easier to expect problems when I actually play the real game. The demo was decent, despite being a bit rough (I think I crashed it the first year I played it) so I'm hoping to get some enjoyment out of it anyway.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast

Knuckle Sandwich looks amazing.
I just hope the game plays just as great as it looks. I need a quirky Earthboundish game for the Switch.

I really want to like YIIK, and I don't even care if the MC is a pretentious douche or not (redemption is part of the heroes journey). But that attitude seems reflected in the overall game itself: Edge-lord/melodramatic dialogue by all, joke instructions that don't really help, grandiose button press games for every battle action?

Ugg... watching videos break my heart because I still want to try this out.

Oct 29, 2017
I have been kinda halfway, sorta following this game for a while, and checking out this thread: yikesarooni.

Knuckle Sandwich seems like the next EB like game to try to claim the throne. I backed the KS, and played the Demo, and if the whole game keeps up that weird vibe, we're good.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I've read enough reviews that I've decided to buy this, so now my eternal agonizing question is: PS4 or PC? I couldn't find mention of PS4 load times or performance, but I have had VERY bad luck with PC ports the last few months and am always weary on going that route.

Does anyone have info on PS4(pro) performance or a link I can read? Excited to try this - it looks completely insane so I'm willing to try it out for 20 bucks!

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
From the dev's twitter account in a recent reply: "The game has a day one patch that increases battle speed and makes the party stronger to make the combat less slow! The reviewers did not play this."
https://twitter.com/AckkStudios/status/1085704852280406016

I couldn't find mention of PS4 load times or performance, but I have had VERY bad luck with PC ports the last few months and am always weary on going that route.

I don't know about this specific game, but generally for indie games that are multiplatform at launch, the PC version is the lead platform and all other versions are ports.

Last edited:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
From the dev's twitter account in a recent reply: "The game has a day one patch that increases battle speed and makes the party stronger to make the combat less slow! The reviewers did not play this."

I don't know about this specific game, but generally for indie games that are multiplatform at launch, the PC version is the lead platform and all other versions are ports.

well that's really great to hear cause slow battle speed was my biggest fear going in.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee

Thanks for this info I'll just get on Steam and if I have an issue I can refund and buy PS4.

Also, to the people saying this looks like an RPGMAKER game (which I love also), are you kidding me? This game has stunning, unique graphics and just because something looks "old" to you, or whatever, doesn't mean it IS. What a slap in the face to this developer based on whatever arbitrary process you have to determine that something looks cheap wtf. A lot of my favorite rpgs are indie ones with pixel graphics, 16-bit, whatever your want to call it. It's an iconic look that will never get old for me.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India

I haven't played Earthbound, but:
Yeah, it's exactly that. Towards the end of the game, Alex breaks through the fourth wall to appeal to you to help him defeat the big bad. The party members of the game are replaced by versions that take on the names of your friends. So for the ending boss fights, you get two Alexs, the original one and the one with your name. It was a bit of a blessing in disguise, because one of Alex's skills was the only way I could even land more then 1-2 damage on the bosses, and now I could use that skill twice in a turn.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bummer that this game appears to be mediocre, but if you want a classic-styled (action-)JRPG that ranks among the best of the best, go play CrossCode!

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Great for battle speed, but did they bust the original challenge that review talk bout on the second ajustment ?
It wasn't a very challenging game when I played it, other than one boss who requires some strategic thinking. Keep in mind that not only did you deal very little damage, but you took little damage as well. Health items were also cheap and plentiful, so healing was never an issue. The battles weren't so much tough as just prolonged.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just saw a trailer for this on my YouTube feed and it was very confusing. I liked what I saw but hated what I heard. I like the art style and graphics, but the character voices and the sound effects were obnoxious as hell.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After playing about an hour, how any reviewer could take the writing for the MC seriously is beyond me. He's obviously supposed to be a caricature, with douchiness turned up to 11.

I love this so far. Aside from the slow battle speed (which they're apparently fixing with a patch?) the visuals and music are top notch. Handheld mode is good too. Seems to be full rez with no real framerate hitches.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Yikes, just clicked the thread to see some impressions and wasn't expecting them to be so negative.

I've been looking forward to this one for a while and I'm still interested, but I'll read more impressions later and maybe wait for a patch.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Is this supposed to be a game where you are supposed to not like the main character? I kinda like the concept of this game, I'd like to see more surrealistic JRPGs that try new stuff out like this game seems to be attempting (the battle system looks like a bit of a mish mash of Shadow Hearts and Mario RPGs).

At least the music seems to be really good.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm seriously interested in this game and it ain't the hipster look of MC that bothers me... It's his 'intentionally' shit character. There are very, very few pieces of media where I can tolerate that stuff. Hopefully the problematic parts are just: 'Teach ignorant MC about reality!' And that seems to be the case apart from the casual sexism. Plus this seems, I dunno... Predictable? Earthbound was a special thing and with having played that already and Undertale too, well, I won't be that surprised if certain tropes reappear in this game. I might wait for a sale but I'll judge it on my own terms.

Music's fucking ace though.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Impressions from Siliconera (they don't do reviews). Not positive:
http://www.siliconera.com/2019/01/1...pg-is-plagued-by-problems-both-big-and-small/

They also documented a very odd bug in a video. They mention several other bugs in the reivew.

When playing YIIK: A Postmodern RPG, I ended up running into this bug outside of Flag Town that brought a fast food restaurant's menu into a random battle. It was not fun.

Summary at the end of the article:
YIIK: A Postmodern RPG is a tedious and broken game. It is the sort where you have to save often, because it could break or leave you in a bad situation. The battles you start facing by the end of its second chapter make the ones in the beginning seem brief, short, and almost pleasant. The balance is entirely off, and I am unsure if it is possible to fix it.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Impressions from Siliconera (they don't do reviews). Not positive:
http://www.siliconera.com/2019/01/1...pg-is-plagued-by-problems-both-big-and-small/

They also documented a very odd bug in a video. They mention several other bugs in the reivew.

Summary at the end of the article:

I don't like his attitude and personal choices. (Two of the options to begin romantic relationships with other characters have him picking an option to "kiss" someone after they talk about a traumatic experience in their life, which feels predatory.)

what is up with the writing in this game?

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
50226084_10218220562089167_4490250198999629824_o.jpg

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Still haven't bought this. The more reviews and impressions I read, the more I'm concerned. I was hoping battles were just hard, but it seems like they are also long tedious boring and glitchy as well, and I am not sure I can do that for 30+ hours lol.

I have never "used" the Steam refund policy to try a game I'm unsure of, but I think that may be the best way for me to decide if I will like it. I need to just play it for an hour and see what it's like. Will post brief impressions later tonight if I do grab it :)

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
One of the first things I see is a car disappear right in front of me. I genuinely laughed at that. Music is really nice though.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
And 2nd glitch appeared already, I opened up my menu on world map and could move around while it was open. After a battle the glitch went away. Plus loading for the battle did take quite a while. Not the best sign from a technical perspective already. On Switch fyi.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Biiiiig yikes on the load times

It takes a full 21 seconds from the time I encounter the enemy till I gain full control. Great music though lol.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
RPGamer just gave it a 4/5. Meanwhile, it's sitting at a 46% on PS4 Metacritic & a 64% on Switch Metacritic, while PC Metacritic only has 3 reviews at 80%, 78%, and 70% so it looks like it'll be noticeably higher than the other 2 platforms if it ever gets that 4th review. Opinions on this game are all over the place.