• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Killer7 for the most part, but that's kind of the point. Remains Suda 51s best work in my eyes though!

Jul 4, 2018
People jokingly say Kohima, Kingdom Hearts etc.

But try being a kid and making sense of the bootleg Pokémon Diamond and Jade GBC games, now that's a true exercise in nonsensical fuckery

"S H I T! REMEMBER IT!"

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Both the Sin and Punishment games. No idea what's going on in those games, but when it's as over the top and ridiculous as those games get, I don't care.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Pokemon Sword and Shield

"Leon's late for lunch. Evil must be afoot."

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
3rd Birthday: Parasite Eve

Wow, that game was a piece of work. Frustratingly enough, the gameplay and visuals and music were excellent. But the plot was so incomprehensible towards the end I remember just laughing maniacally as one incoherent story beat after another played out. By the end, I only vaguely had an idea what on earth was happening. A beautiful mess.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
For someone that's played a lot of JRPGs, Tales of Zestiria was incomprehensible at times. I swear cutscenes were reordered or left on the cutting room floor or something about halfway through that game because I could not make much sense about character motivations, who knew what, what I was doing. Luckily, Berseria did not have this problem.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I don't understand a bit of the FF14 story and the post ARR content is such a fucking slog that never ends. People keep telling me that Heavensward is SO GOOD but they've done their best to keep you from ever reaching it. The story and the names are just gibberish/nonsense.

(I know this is getting "fixed" Tuesday but it should never have been this bad to begin with)

I never know what's going on in this game's story and I don't think I ever will.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
i was kind of confused by the conclusion of ff7r

really old text adventures often had nonsensical puzzle solutions and deaths. like the wizard and the princess, i don't know how people beat that without a guide. or time zone

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Kingdom Hearts has some insanely convoluted games (Coded, Dream Drop Distance) but I think for the most its relatively simple to understand, and, aside from the afformentioned entries, I think that the game's internal logic is fairly consistent.

The main issue with KH has always been how scattered it is - basically each game is important yet the game kept jumping between sony and nintendo consoles, but not even that, it also kept switching between home and portable consoles. And the compilation largely solves this, but, not entirely, since it takes quite a lot of willpower to slog through Chain of Memories' gameplay for instance or even just sitting through 4 hours of Coded cutscenes... oh boy.

But I digress, I think for me the afformentioned Black Ops 3 takes the cake. I don't know why anyone thought it was a good idea to put such a complex, hard to follow plot in a CoD game. But to make it worse, they decided to do it in the instalment that has 4 player coop support - reading the mission briefing and lore documents is absolutely essential to even begin to understand wtf is happening or why, but doing that in coop is almost never gonna work out.

Like.... I honestly think less than 1 % of the players are aware that "you", the "player" character is actually dead during the entirity of the campaign. Which is never actually revealed, not even hinted heavily. It's just.... written down.

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
Resonance of Fate. I remember googling "resonance of fate story explained" after beating it, and even explanations for dummies made absolutely no sense. This game is ridiculous.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Doom 2016 literally locks you in a room to listen to characters monologue at you at several points. They're not even cutscenes, so you can't skip them. Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y64hj0Xlcr8

All story scenes in Eternal are skippable iirc
Erm having one or a couple of instance does not mean the whole game is like that.

I specifically mentioned that I wasn't talking about whether the scenes are skippable, in the very first line of the post you are quoting!

I am talking about how the design of the game itself is different as the game now spends time on cutscenes, none of which makes sense.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Death Stranding recently, plot in that game don't make a lick of sense. Characters spouting nonsense exposition for hours also.

At least the metal gear games had a simple espionage plot if you didn't follow all the The Patriots and nano machine lore.

Apr 21, 2018
Bayonetta.

I beat both games and had no idea what happened in either of them. Complete plot spaghetti.
Did not help that I was not enjoying the games, which led to me not caring if I understood or not.

Same here. Love the games but the story is batshit. I like the characters but don't know what's going on. I just skip the cutscenes now but I still love the games.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
Kingdom hearts and ff13. FF13 uses such similar names for all it's factions that i ended up having no idea what was even going on by around chapter 4 and kingdom hearts is just so far up it's own ass that it's pretty much impossible to make sense of due to important details being baited for multiple squeals and it has 2 mobile game with essential story to the game that never made any sense for years

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Xenosaga will never make sense to me. Final Fantasy XIII is also nedlessly convaluted with its terminology.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I still genuinely don't know if there was some kind of Doom thing set between 2016 and Eternal explaining... why it was the way it was. Did the first game get story DLC? Is there a comic or something? Is there a whole game in between that I just somehow missed? Why is it like that?

fatefodder

Mar 14, 2019
Hohokum
This was actually kind of stimulating throughout, might be fun to surf through with a young child.

Doki-Doki Universe
This was really boring and rote, I can't recommend it.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
I love how Heavy Rain was nonsensical and it was later explained that was due to missing story content. When it was revealed what that missing story content was (Ethan had a psychic connection to the killer) it made even less sense.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
A more recent one for me was Iconoclasts

Tbf it was maybe my own fault because i took long breaks between playing it/i didnt go into it expecting so much story. But the end of that game and the last boss was one of the biggest "wtf is going on" moments of this gen for me.

xii_7

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
I think Vangers is the very definition of this...

from Steam: "Mind-altering sandbox game that can be described as a racing role-playing adventure game with a complicated storyline. You'll find a unique atmosphere, complete freedom and lots of gameplay hours to figure out what's the game is all about"

CosmicGP

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Killer 7. Could only stomach an hour or two of the game. Also the art style didn't work well in the age of PS2 jaggies. Yuck.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy. I can't even articulate how bizarre it is. It's cool though.
this

evergreen
82d.jpg

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts.
Most FF titles
Dark Souls : Most of the lore and important points are clear, but I hate that we'll never have all the answers.

From what I'm currently playing : Death Stranding. I'm not finished yet but I have a feeling seeing the end wouldn't help me ? Also the game is terrible so I have no incentive to know more.
Also I must be 3/4 done with Hollow Knight... This is Dark Souls all over again ain't it ? I won't be able to piece shit together and will have to look at lore videos ?

May 9, 2019
Dark Souls 3. I'm killing these monsters for what reason? Are they corrupted? What happened to this world? Where are the other humans?

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Yes.

f265fbd96995c3318644bb1445bd672e.gif

And I would like to forget it. But it`s a Phantom Pain (har har).

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Knytt Underground

Great visuals, music and metroidvania vibe. But at times I had no idea what was going on.