• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2018
Thread is about "dinner" on Star Citizen Convention costing 275$ which is nothing extraordinary, so i do know why this thread still continues.
And btw its not a dinner that important for people paying for it, its ability to talk and drink with CIG's developers, management included.

ExileCon - Path of Exile convention
Ticket that includes dinner with developers cost 500$, normal ticket 200$
www.pathofexile.com

Path of Exile

Path of Exile is a free online-only action RPG under development by Grinding Gear Games in New Zealand.

Blizzcon
750$ for a ticket that includes dinner with developers, normal Blizzcon Pass 230$

TennoCon - Warframe convention
Ticket for dev team stream session with devs and voice recording 1000$ - normal ticket 30$

"Hey guys now that Ubisoft also does lootboxes we should stop discussing EA or anyone else in the future that Introduce them."

And how many of the other dinners required you to have spend 1000$ on in game items to attend?

Did the blizzard one try to sell you a mount for 700 dollars while you were attending it?

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
WAIT... That pyramid scheme is for real? What benefits do you get if you recruit/referrals to a certain number?
robertsspaceindustries.com

Referral program - Roberts Space Industries | Follow the development of Star Citizen and Squadron 42

Roberts Space Industries is the official go-to website for all news about Star Citizen and Squadron 42. It also hosts the online store for game items and merch, as well as all the community tools used by our fans.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Concierge-Event-Menu.png~original
That sounds like a buffet a super expensive buffet, 275? Something better have some truffles on it

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
"Hey guys now that Ubisoft also does lootboxes we should stop discussing EA or anyone else in the future that Introduce them."

And how many of the other dinners required you to have spend 1000$ on in game items to attend?

Did the blizzard one try to sell you a mount for 700 dollars while you were attending it?
Most of people that attend those events spend more than 1k$ on those games, 99% probably.
You could become concierge not only by buying packages from what i remember, but its a filter to get to those event people that are most community oriented for those games, thats why streamers gets free passes in all of those events etcs.
I do not even comment about selling them ship for 700$, because its a ridiculous concept that they organized this event to sell those people this ship.

--
robertsspaceindustries.com

Referral program - Roberts Space Industries | Follow the development of Star Citizen and Squadron 42

Roberts Space Industries is the official go-to website for all news about Star Citizen and Squadron 42. It also hosts the online store for game items and merch, as well as all the community tools used by our fans.
Also why is this a controversy now? Pretty much every online game have something like this implemented.

John198X

Nov 9, 2018
Every news item I see on this project is such transparent scummery.
Glad people are largely seeing that, outside of the few jabroni marks in here defending the indefensible... but I guess those few are all Roberts and co. need to stay on the gravy train.

Ganyc

Oct 26, 2017
I do not even comment about selling them ship for 700$, because its a ridiculous concept that they organized this event to sell those people this ship.
and the ship isn't even sold only on this event. It is available fo everyone.

Chris was there, Erin was there, many developer were there too. They ate with the fans (one developer for one table and after an hour they could switch) and they talked about star citizen, sq42 and more (ssocs delay).

Captain_Raoul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
H

Hey at least I know what thread I am in and that is more than you can say of yourself. Maybe you should take a break and go out from this thread and get those last 500 recruit you need to provide Chris with for your free* ship.

Haha thnx dude, i will! You too, because your reactions are starting to get a little sad...

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
This is what happens you apply collector's edition pricing tactics to fundraising banquets.
Pay us $200 and we'll give you a 7" pvc model!
Pay us $275 and we'll show you a picture of a ship at a mid-scale family restaurant!

John198X

Nov 9, 2018

Right? Why are people so eager to shrug off or normalize the predatory practices that have been encroaching on this hobby for the last decade?

Remember when it was outrageous that the PS3 cost $600? Now you can spend even more on a fake spaceship that does nothing, and it's totally acceptable.

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly live for every Star Citizen thread, because without fail there is always at minimum two people willing to handwave away every filthy practice and dodgy dealing like their lives depended on it.

Dec 8, 2018
Most of people that attend those events spend more than 1k$ on those games, 99% probably.
You could become concierge not only by buying packages from what i remember, but its a filter to get to those event people that are most community oriented for those games, thats why streamers gets free passes in all of those events etcs.

--

How many of those games are in an alpha state and how many are released products with many years of being that?

And if you buy every store mount and pet in WoW a game released in 2006 if I remember correctly you won't even come close to the amount that single ship CIG tried to sell during that dinner cost.

But that is perfectly normal right and not ridiculous at all?

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
8 years of development? Maybe if you include the Publisher/Kickstarter demo video that had nothing to do with the actual game/endproduct.

First they had to build the studios after the kickstarter campaign (at the end of 2012) until they could start development
So you're just going to ignore the Chris Roberts interview linked earlier in the thread where he talks about development starting in 2011? Completely pathetic.

Dec 8, 2018
Haha thnx dude, i will! You too, because your reactions are starting to get a little sad...

Nah I have no interest in luring people into a shell of a game that might not even release at this point and especially one that the developers pray on the people who are interested in it like no one else in the industry. If I did that I could probably not live with myself.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
How many of those games are in an alpha state and how many are released products with many years of being that?

And if you buy every store mount and pet in WoW a game released in 2006 if I remember correctly you won't even come close to the amount that single ship CIG tried to sell during that dinner cost.

But that is perfectly normal right and not ridiculous at all?
If you are talking about Blizzard games, why didnt you include Hearthstone and Overwatch? Not too convenient in your argument?
Also check how much you can spend on skins on both Warframe and PoE.

Again alpha argument, i do not agree that ship selling is great monetization practice, but after EVE i know that in sandbox game it wont affect my gameplay much, so i do not care. I spent 43$ on this game and i'm happy with what i'm getting and if others want to support the game by donating or by buying ships and i get a better game out of it, its fine with me.
Still the whole dinner discussion is pointless as its not an issue, its a standard not only in game industry but any industry. Whole concept of business lunches, meeting or conferences is based on that.

Ps. Both PoE and Warframe were shit on first few years of their journey and were kept alive by their fans that did not follow mainstream hate.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
$275 meal...i expect some of the finest cuts of wagyu beef, at least some champagne and foi gras..

Jul 17, 2018
Ps. Both PoE and Warframe were shit on first few years of their journey and were kept alive by their fans that did not follow mainstream hate.

Warframe started its development around the same time as SC and since then they released the full game and 6 expansions. You really don't want to compare SC to it.

Yes, yes, I know: 'But the fidelity! The ambition! The awesome tech!' etc.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
PoE was shit on because it looked and played like crap. No one shat on the business model. They've been humble and open about their development and have released, for free, an incredible amount of content that you can play without paying them a dime.

Comparing GGG and the Warframe devs to CIG is deeply insulting (and I say that as someone who could never, ever get into PoE)

mercenar1e

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Apparently someone at the event was told from Chris Roberts himself that some of the core gameplay/technical features might not be in the game until 2022. That delay includes SQ42 because the single player also needs that tech.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Apparently someone at the event was told from Chris Roberts himself that some of the core gameplay/technical features might not be in the game until 2022. That delay includes SQ42 because the single player also needs that tech.

do you have a link to this? because that sounds... ehh like Star Citizen ..

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
That would mean 2024 at the earliest for SQ42

12 years after the Kickstarter. This is beyond DNF (and at least that was self financed).

Dec 8, 2018
If you are talking about Blizzard games, why didnt you include Hearthstone and Overwatch? Not too convenient in your argument?
Also check how much you can spend on skins on both Warframe and PoE.

Again alpha argument, i do not agree that ship selling is great monetization practice, but after EVE i know that in sandbox game it wont affect my gameplay much, so i do not care. I spent 43$ on this game and i'm happy with what i'm getting and if others want to support the game by donating or by buying ships and i get a better game out of it, its fine with me.
Still the whole dinner discussion is pointless as its not an issue, its a standard not only in game industry but any industry. Whole concept of business lunches, meeting or conferences is based on that.

Even if you want to have a complete set of every hearthstone card and bought every skin in overwatch you won't even come close to spending as much as the legatus pack or whatever it's called the 27000$ one in SC and that was released over a year ago.

And YES the alpha argument. Many of the ships and other items on sale by CIG are not even realized and only concept pieces that might not never be realized. What other item in the other games are you able to buy but can't use or know if you ever will?

And also show me an virtual item sold by any of the other developers you mentioned that cost 500$.

Other developers surely have monetizing mechanics in their games and even if I also find those bad CIG monetizing is ridiculously absurd and on top it's also p2w we're the majority of the other ones you mention are pure cosmetic and won't effect the other players at all.

And by claiming this discussion is ridiculous you yourself proved more than needed.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Backer: spends actual thousands of dollars on a space sim that promised an entire solar system

gets a buggy yet graphically impressive demo of a single planet that amounts to maybe 0.0001% of what the final game will supposedly be, 7 years after the Kickstarter

"I'm getting my money's worth!"

Dec 8, 2018

Wow what a shocker!!! This surely must be wrong because it's not like they missed every deadline earlier right?

Right?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
That city that keeps being posted is like the definition of window dressing. The actual playable/useable space in it is what? Some stores, landing platforms and trains? It's great tech, for sure, but it's not "a city".

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Roberts is really missing out on some sweet potential of this whole thing by not having it registered as a church yet.

mercenar1e

Banned
Dec 18, 2017

Speaking to Chris, SSOCS is targeted for 3.8 but they're realistic it might be pushed back to next year. It's a requirement for Squadron 42, as it's effectively running a server on the local machine. Static server messing is due end of 2020 but I got the impression that dynamic server meshing will take a lot longer.

OAUvLVp.png

also LMAO thats what $275 gets you for dinner.

FLUXCapacitor

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, there are actually some people in here defending this. Fascinating.

I've always been in the vaporware camp when reading about this game. Seems my inclination has been correct thus far.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Huh, there are actually some people in here defending this. Fascinating.

I've always been in the vaporware camp when reading about this game. Seems my inclination has been correct thus far.

Vaporware is a bit strong, they're clearly developing so at least a good part of the money is being spent: while the totality of the 'game' is a bit of a jank fest, it has a fair number of technical successes. I simply think as long as there is a cash spigot, Roberts is just the type to keep wanting additional 'cool' features to fulfil his vision, so the release date floats because as long as you can afford to and it's already 5 years late at this point why not? Add to that the revenue model which demands scope creep then you've got a product which will always be inclined to get pushed back until the fan base get sick of waiting and turn off the tap.

The entire thing is a case study of what happens when someone with lots of money, a continuing 'revenue' stream, no editor and a deluded sense of his own vision gets free reign. And to be clear I'm not defending any of it, the revenue model is scummy and what I've played of the alpha has convinced me it's not really sort of game I'd play these days.

Ganyc

Oct 26, 2017
So you're just going to ignore the Chris Roberts interview linked earlier in the thread where he talks about development starting in 2011? Completely pathetic.
again: he meant the demo for the publishers and kickstarter. Not the Games.

pathetic are the arm chair devs in this thread (and you for your personal attack).

that is wrong, he said that ssocs will maybe pushed back a patch. (from end 2019 to early 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.