• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
This is like a timeshare presentation but where the marks pay to hear a sales pitch and then pay again for it

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It may not be a "scam" but it's one of the most cynical, confusing, yet brilliant business ideas I've seen in this industry. Chris Roberts is a genius. Regardless, I have little interest in a MMO that looks like it will be the worst pay to win game in the history of the medium. Only incredible gameplay, something never seen before will be enough to make me curious about getting into it. Hopefully Squadron 42 will be good, which if so, will have the wonderful side effect of validating Star Citizens insane business model.

The Cameo

Apr 26, 2018
At this point if you are still giving money no sympathy. I guess we will find out in 2025 when Chris Roberts disappears with millions unaccounted for.

I really do hope it takes that long, if only because then people will be able to sincerely say "James Cameron and Stanley Kubrick both made a movie in less time and they're perfectionists to the degree of maybe having unchecked mental disorders."

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
The faintest of moments I considered kickstarting this way back when grow ever more comical the more years go by and stuff like this occurs.

The 'Consoles "couldn't possibly handle" Star Citizen, developer says' headlines will also be pretty funny circa next year as well.

It feels like the next step is them scanning potential buyers for their Thetan levels and then advising them on what DLC packages would best suit them for becoming a model Star Citizen.

Nov 3, 2017
I feel like you could show me the text from any Star Citizen thread here or on GAF, and I wouldn't know if it came from 2014 or 2019

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't what the Gears 5 devs are smoking but this right is what you call "ahead of the industry" when it comes to monetizing lol

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
I have always wanted to join a cult, but I was thinking more weird satanic set stuff, but I do like space ships.

Dec 8, 2018
Isn't it more like one side is doing an Uncharted game and the other side is trying to create an multiplanet, open world MMO with a completely seamless world & space travel.

And I don't think the initial aim matters if that was made with the intent of some original plans that were nowhere near what the game turns out to be when they get a much bigger budget than they initially planned. A lot of kickstarter projects promised something small, then got, like, 10x the money they asked for, and decided to put that money to good use and (tried to) make a bigger & better game on all fronts, leading to a longer development time and missing some early release date promises that were based on the initial plans. Game development isn't easy to nail down. Star Citizen as it was planned in the beginning was maybe planned for 2014 but it's not all that unreasonable that the game they've actually been making wasn't done by 2014.

I'm not saying this project has been managed perfectly or even well, all things considered, and I do not like these ridiculously priced digital space ships as a funding model at all, but whining about not meeting the initial 2014 release date for a project this big is kind of ignorant, in my opinion. Game development takes time. Maybe you think that they should have sticked to their originals plans and that's a somewhat justifiable POV considering how long this more ambitious project has taken, but game development isn't some kind of precise art, especially the bigger & more amibitous it gets. They are clearly still working on this full time and as shitty as selling 600+ dollar ships is, the project is advancing. Stuff is getting added, significant stuff. It may not be things that they have given some deadlines for that we have gotten past but neither are they just some frivolous "here's a few more hair options for your character" type things.

What part of the single player content can't be used in the mmo? Seriously outside of actors what? Both are space sims ffs and that comparison you did is just stupid. You will walk the same, fly the same and shoot the same etc etc in both games.

The initial aim is exactly what they should have aimed at. Deliver the promise they made to the kickstarter and those backers. Instead they continued their plead for money seeing how much people were giving them and increasing the scope every milestone they set to the point were they are now even asking investors for 50 MILLION dollars more outside their astronomical funded 200 MILLION just because they constantly increased their scope.

Had they focused the money first into a complete game or early access and added the rest as a continuing dlc or whatever you want to call it that would have been fine. Instead Chris now milks whales for cash to buy a new ship that add another completely new mechanic into the game that will take additional development to implement when the list of things still not implemented is huge.

Game development takes time if you don't have a fixed goal and constantly move it or shitty management and this game has both of that like nothing else seen before.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I find this entire thing extremely baffling. For a project that seems to have delivered very little, how has it raised so much money? Who is funding this thing and why?

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Seriously. Imagine this business model but with Star Wars. EA could keep it going for decades without ever having to finish a game.
I think because it's risky and not worth the effort. From what I've read SC barely breaks even due to how ambitious the game is. Meanwhile EA released their Star Wars mobile gatcha game years ago which still generates sales of ~ $150 million per year. All without fancy graphics, a big dev team or that much of a monetary investment to begin with.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I feel like I could but every space flight type or -ish game that exists, and then some more sci go on top of that, for that money.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I paid 35 usd 8 years ago (or whenever it first came out) and I think 20usd last year for a ship upgrade.

I've played it for about 15 hours and enjoyed the hell out of it, can't wait for the next big update.

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
At this point in time Star Citizen seems more and more like a way to get people with a Sunk Cost fallacy. This is basically gatcha game whales, except with cultish live events to boot, and no actual product.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I didn't.

And crunch wise guarantee you at this phase in development RDR2 sure as shit was a lot closer to completion than SC is now
That's probably because it's an evolution of already existing technology.

At this point in time Star Citizen seems more and more like a way to get people with a Sunk Cost fallacy. This is basically gatcha game whales, except with cultish live events to boot, and no actual product.
This narrative that there's no actual product is just.... tiring.

May 18, 2018
Loving the "paying money for the chance to pay money" aspect of all of this. I won't say it's a scam but I'm definitely behind "cult".

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
NwqsK.jpg

Is it E3 already?!

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
This fucking game...

What would this game even look like if it releases at this point? Is it going to be a microtransaction laden hellscape? Or are backers going to just have ridiculous, exclusive ships (destroying the balance)? Or are they going to devalue all those purchases with reasonable DLC that releases for the masses?

Is it even possible that this game releases and isn't a tremendous mess?

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to clarify, you can't counter claims of Star Citizen being a scam with "but you can actually play something!" Yeah, most pyramid schemes/MLMs actually sell a tangible product (it's how they avoid being shut down) but that doesn't make them any less of a scam.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
The game is not a scam, it's just a perfect example or terrible management and absence of boundaries.

From my very shallow understanding it's been stuck for years in a never ending loop :
- game's scale and promises are too big
- ~500 people / 5 studios / 3 countries (US, UK and GER)
- money runs tight while devs try to fulfill the countless promises made
- more money needed so another promise is made and sold (often in the form of new ships)
- money runs dry, repeat the cycle

Last years seem to prove they're desperate for money and that's not a good thing : canceling refunds requests (you now have the legal 14 days to back down and that's it), putting their own "blizzcon" behind a paywall, removing the ""in-game"" cap for real money spending, making a 28000$ big package with all ships released, etc.

Not 100% comparable but still : In this same timeframe another overly ambitious sci-fi game was announced, released with barebone content causing universal outrage, then fixed by releasing a steady stream of DLC every 6 months to attain and exceeds the original vision promised. And they certainly didn't have 500+ people or a 232,808,880$ warchest.
Meanwhile Star Citizen is in Alpha 3.6.

TLDR : Cloud Imperium needs some real hard management with deadlines and budgets and not let this dreamer in charge any longer or it will never be more than a glorified alpha/tech demo.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Constantly calling the game a scam and ponzi or pyramid just allows easy deflection from the actual issues at hand.

Can we stop?
In space, no one can hear you scam.
If this isn't the OT title in 202X we have failed humanity.

This fucking game...

What would this game even look like if it releases at this point? Is it going to be a microtransaction laden hellscape? Or are backers going to just have ridiculous, exclusive ships (destroying the balance)? Or are they going to devalue all those purchases with reasonable DLC that releases for the masses?

Is it even possible that this game releases and isn't a tremendous mess?
I honestly have no idea how you go from big game whale hunting, to making sure in game credit only users can actually attain the same ship in a reasonable amount of time, if at all.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
I want to know the kinda of person who does this. Like, please Kotaku give me a behind the scenes look at the event and this kind of person.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
It's not a scam. It's feature creep

Also the game is gonna suck. Way too many systems

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't think people mind the game has been in development for some time. It's more that the discrepancy between what they have promised, what they have shown, and what they keep on selling doesn't really add up

If this is all they have after 7 years odd years, and 75% of the features and content haven't been added yet, and they still keep selling people parts of the game, it's only natural people start to raise eyebrows

I have no dog in this fight so for me it's just interesting to see how long this will go on for. Hopefully they do come out with a really good end product, but if I were a gambling man I would say this will probably be rushed out at door shortly after the whole project collapses in on itself and doesn't really deliver on half of what they have promised

Right now it's win win for the developers because they can do whatever crazy money raising stunt they like, and people will still say "these things take time, they're working on new tech" etc

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
The only video game who's earning potential would actually go down with its release. Why would they put it out at this point?
Was just thinking that. I wonder how long they can pull this off before the whales finally stop biting.

This game is so fascinating that I kind of don't want the ride to end.
I've never been more entertained by a game, solely through reading about it, since EVE Online.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Was just thinking that. I wonder how long they can pull this off before the whales finally stop biting.

It kind of sounds like they're circling the drain:

In July 2018, a backer attempting to get a $4,500 refund sued Cloud Imperium Games, but lost the case.[141][142][143][144] In August 2018, Cloud Imperium Games attempted to monetize the live stream broadcast of the project's annual CitizenCon event, eventually backing down due to online protestations.[145][146][147] Later on, they removed the cap on in-game currency, resulting in renewed criticism over the game's pay-to-win mechanics.

If this does blow up in their faces can the backers that have sunk thousands do anything to claim their money back?

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
No, I'm sorry, but any game that charges end users $675 for a ship tied to gameplay that doesn't exist yet is a scam, whether or not you can technically currently play something that proves somebody has compiled some code in the last decade.

People gave Hello Games endless amounts of shit for releasing a game that didn't live up to their hype, but we're supposed to let CIG slide while taking endless amounts of money for jpegs from people who just want a good space sim, because Chris Roberts happened to make some good games 25 years ago?

Bullshit.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
No, I'm sorry, but any game that charges end users $675 for a ship tied to gameplay that doesn't exist yet is a scam, whether or not you can technically currently play something that proves somebody has compiled some code in the last decade.

People gave Hello Games endless amounts of shit for releasing a game that didn't live up to their hype, but we're supposed to let CIG slide while taking endless amounts of money for jpegs from people who just want a good space sim, because Chris Roberts happened to make some good games 25 years ago?

Bullshit.

Youre 100% correct but be careful the Defense Crew is gathering.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
This forum literally praised Rockstar for spending nearly a decade on RDR2 and that was with the endless crunch that by my knowledge, isn't happening with SC.

They also released 4-5 games in that time (If you decide to count LA Noire). Star Citizen has no realistic timeframe to deliver 100 solar systems at launch like they promised, considering we're at year 5 and there's only like a 0.1% build.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I don't even think it is worth using SC as a case study in project management because there is nothing to be learnt from it.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Youre 100% correct but be careful the Defense Crew is gathering.

The defense crew only latches on to the "Star Citizen is a scam and is never coming out" posts.

They stay pretty silent on issues like this. It's why the thread hasn't been littered with them yet.

Wait about 10 pages until the conversation has gone back to something they can counter with youtube update videos.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
According to Wikipedia, prior to Star Citizen Chris Roberts was last involved with a game in 2003, when he worked as a concept designer for Freelancer, and he's not directed a game since 1996 (Wing Commander IV)

Kind of seems like he may be a little out of his depth

Status
Not open for further replies.