• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Honest question:

I haven't followed this game very closely. I know I've read a lot of posts saying that the game is "a scam" and all that, but is that really true or is it a bunch of jokes? What are the odds that this game is actually a scam? What, exactly, makes it seem like a scam?
It's an example of people being surprised that game development takes a lot of money and a very long time especially for ambitious titles. Like there have been delays ofc but they've also delivered on a lot of things they said they'd implement. The game feels completely different to play than it did years ago. And a lot of what they want to do will inevitably take a long time to implement.

I'm not gonna defend this dinner thing though, that's weird af.
You can keep repeating "it's only been in development for five years", but, uh, Chris Roberts of 2012 would disagree with you.

Chris: Basically I've been working with a small team over the course of the past year to get the early prototyping and production done. The team has varied in scale from just me, essentially, to about 10 people. That's just the actual work though.

They were working with a skeleton crew in 2012.

Zornack

Oct 29, 2017
Saw this comment on reddit:

"Another concept ship built around a gameplay style that has yet to be implemented."

Let's list the backlog for the fun of it; mine-laying, medical, farming, colonization, news reporting, exploration, science, piracy, docking, bounty hunting, research, information warfare, refining, refuelling, and orgs. Add to that the underlying online technologies, and that the jobs that are in the game are mostly in their first pass.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Honest question:

I haven't followed this game very closely. I know I've read a lot of posts saying that the game is "a scam" and all that, but is that really true or is it a bunch of jokes? What are the odds that this game is actually a scam? What, exactly, makes it seem like a scam?
It's not a scam considering they do constant updates on what they have been working on (with footage, so it's not just empty words) and eventually add those to a build that is playable by anyone at this moment. It's mostly just its funding model that is scummy and its lengthy dev time that hasn't been without its issues that get people frustrated & negative towards the game.

Dec 8, 2018
To be fair, as shitty as this funding model is, they are developing not one but two games and both are pretty much on the higher echelon of video games in terms of what they are trying to achieve technically & visually. Especially the (online) space sim part is probably one of the most ambitious singular game projects ever to exist, considering what they are trying to achieve. It's a really not all that unreasonable that it has taken 5 years so far. Much like Red Dead Redemption 2 took forever (and that's with, like, 1000+ developers at R*, someone mentioned Star Citizen is "only" 500). The original date was maybe for 2014 but with super successful Kickstarters, that leads to expanding on the scope & quality of the project, so we are still within somewhat reasonable timeframe for a project as massive as this.

It's not like they are making a 3D plattformer and guitar hero kind of game at the same time they are doing pretty much the same thing as a shooter having a multiplayer and single player component that uses the same assets so that is not a good excuse even.

And the problem is just trying to achieve. They basically missed every deadline they ever set, they constantly add new shit they want to do instead of finishing what was initially promised to backers first and you know the initial release date was 2014. You can try to spin that date how much you like it but that was the date Chris Robert initially said it would be done before this future creep started and now I bet it will ensure this game never lives up to the expectations of anyone.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Wow, they must be using psychology to get this much money out of players

The Cameo

Apr 26, 2018
They were working with a skeleton crew in 2012.

You have stated that you expect to have an Alpha up and going in about 12 months, with a beta roughly 10 months after that and then launch. For a game of this size and scope, do you think you can really be done in the next two years?
Really it is all about constant iteration from launch. The whole idea is to be constantly updating. It isn't like the old days where you had to have everything and the kitchen sink in at launch because you weren't going to come back to it for awhile. We're already one year in - another two years puts us at 3 total which is ideal. Any more and things would begin to get stale.

Speaking of constant updates, you've stated that you would like to roll out updates on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. How sustainable is that vision and what kind of investment of resources do you foresee that taking?
Obviously we would scale up the staff over time until, once live, we have about 20-30 people generating content, not counting high-level development of new features. The idea is to set up a structure for the players to use and add in new content as the spice, where the player-generated content is the meat. Eve Online does this very well. You don't want to be like [Star Wars] The Old Republic, where all your content is heavily scripted.

Almost sounds like he either doesn't know what the fuck he's doing or he at some point just decided to grift, hmmmmm

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Almost sounds like he either doesn't know what the fuck he's doing or he at some point just decided to grift, hmmmmm
The game hasn't officially launched. It's still in development. They've spent years building the technology, workflow, studios, etc. and it really shows, compare footage of the game fives years ago to today.

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it is playable. I don't know why anyone would pay 10s of 1000s of dollars to play a capitol ship, but the game is at least fun to mess around with in its current state. Get a fighter and run around in the live environment and it's hard to not be impressed. The fact that you can go from zero-g space to earthlike gravity in the ship interiors is pretty neat.

In fact, I don't get why everyone is constantly so upset by this game. It's not like the monetization is super abusive if you're just getting in to dick around and watch development.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's worse than that. To be concierge, you need to have previously spent... $1000, I think, to be eligible.

Concierge is a special 'status' for high spenders within the Star Citizen community, giving them exclusive access both in- and out- of the game. There's a good youtube series that covers it and more. Can't remember which part dives into concierge specifically, though.
Really recommend everyone interested in this crazy situation to watch the Sunk Cost Galaxy series you linked. As a KS backer I'm not really upset (too much) that the game I thought I was backing is no where to be seen, but all the manipulation and bullshit does piss me off.

The Cameo

Apr 26, 2018
The game hasn't officially launched. It's still in development. They've spent years building the technology, workflow, studios, etc. and it really shows, compare footage of the game fives years ago to today.

And yet development somehow had to take three years to start, even though originally that's when Roberts intended for the game to ship.

Yeah, just move the goal posts about six more inches to the right, maybe a couple feet back...

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Yea it's almost like the scope of the game changed and they had to spend a lot of time building the technology and staff or something. It's almost like game development isn't a linear process and plans can change as a result of varying factors.
Endless feature creep is generally seen as a bad thing.

Like, there's a spectrum between "not a scam" and "definitely 100% a scam." The fact that they have something to show for their work doesn't change the fact that their funding model is an exploitative grift that feeds on their most passionate followers.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
It's not like they are making a 3D plattformer and guitar hero kind of game at the same time they are doing pretty much the same thing as a shooter having a multiplayer and single player component that uses the same assets so that is not a good excuse even.

And the problem is just trying to achieve. They basically missed every deadline they ever set, they constantly add new shit they want to do instead of finishing what was initially promised to backers first and you know the initial release date was 2014. You can try to spin that date how much you like it but that was the date Chris Robert initially said it would be done before this future creep started and now I bet it will ensure this game never lives up to the expectations of anyone.
Isn't it more like one side is doing an Uncharted game and the other side is trying to create an multiplanet, open world MMO with a completely seamless world & space travel.

And I don't think the initial aim matters if that was made with the intent of some original plans that were nowhere near what the game turns out to be when they get a much bigger budget than they initially planned. A lot of kickstarter projects promised something small, then got, like, 10x the money they asked for, and decided to put that money to good use and (tried to) make a bigger & better game on all fronts, leading to a longer development time and missing some early release date promises that were based on the initial plans. Game development isn't easy to nail down. Star Citizen as it was planned in the beginning was maybe planned for 2014 but it's not all that unreasonable that the game they've actually been making wasn't done by 2014.

I'm not saying this project has been managed perfectly or even well, all things considered, and I do not like these ridiculously priced digital space ships as a funding model at all, but whining about not meeting the initial 2014 release date for a project this big is kind of ignorant, in my opinion. Game development takes time. Maybe you think that they should have sticked to their originals plans and that's a somewhat justifiable POV considering how long this more ambitious project has taken, but game development isn't some kind of precise art, especially the bigger & more amibitous it gets. They are clearly still working on this full time and as shitty as selling 600+ dollar ships is, the project is advancing. Stuff is getting added, significant stuff. It may not be things that they have given some deadlines for that we have gotten past but neither are they just some frivolous "here's a few more hair options for your character" type things.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Yea it's almost like the scope of the game changed and they had to spend a lot of time building the technology and staff or something. It's almost like game development isn't a linear process and plans can change as a result of varying factors.

It's almost like the game is at $232 million without a single gameplay loop put on the game, or an interesting planet to play on. Because yeah, Hurston looks good, but there's not much to do. And if they can't do more than a planet in 5 years, how can they deliver 100 solar systems at launch?

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Hear me out, what if they made a game that was scoped similarly to the old wing commander games but with next-gen graphics and some multiplayer modes thrown in there? If they did that Star Citizen 2 would probably be wrapping up development by now

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

If they keep changing and adding things the game will never be released.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
There's a game somewhere in there and when it works it seems pretty impressive but the amount of milking these guys do from their community is just absolutely awful.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It's almost like the game is at $232 million without a single gameplay loop put on the game, or an interesting planet to play on. Because yeah, Hurston looks good, but there's not much to do. And if they can't do more than a planet in 5 years, how can they deliver 100 solar systems at launch?

This. I don't find it completely unlikely that they will at some point release _something_ that will be a somewhat completed game. I wouldn't bet money on it, but sure, maybe.

But I don't for a second believe that any such released product will contain even a fraction of what they promised already (and they still keep adding new mechanics and gameplay loops).

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Its gonna be funny when in ten years the game continues to be in alpha and its defenders will keep saying "no this is ok did you see the last update"

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
As a chef, I am really interested in hearing what level of food was served at an event with such expensive entry requirements.

Those plates better have been immaculate.

1493671228453-fyre-sandwich-copy.jpeg

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Most threads about this game on Era lean into the "it's a scam" rhetoric, instead of keeping up with the updates.

This one isn't though. This one is about their insane monetization practices that would make EA blush. Steering the conversation to how they're still slowly making a game and providing updates doesn't take away the fact that they have built and cultivated one of the largest whale farms in all of gaming.

I don't care if it's the greatest game ever made at this point, if DLC locked behind exclusive dinners doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth then you are on the wrong side of the industry.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How much do the big wigs pay themselves?

If you can't even make a broad game without fancy visuals then it isn't really one, you're just myopic in your mission to craft such a game.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Its gonna be funny when in ten years the game continues to be in alpha and its defenders will keep saying "no this is ok did you see the last update"
Red Dead Redemption 2 took, what, 8 years with a team that was eventually at least twice (if not three times) the size of Star Citizen's dev team (if the info I read in this thread is correct). The game's development has had its issues and challenges and will continue to do so. I'll personally give them 2 more years to have something more fleshed out in players' hands. If we still only have one city planet and a huge amount of gameplay systems they've announced by now still aren't added into the game, sure, I'll join the more pessimist side of this argument. As is, I just don't think we are yet beyond some "this game is never coming out" point in development, as shitty as these super expensive digital space ships are.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meh, no sympathy from me for the whales and people still supporting this scam of a game with hundreds or thousands of dollars.

SC has been cult like and a money pit for years now. More and more money is thrown at this feature bloated shell of a game and they're no closer to a launch

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
Calling this game a scam is dumb. It's no different than "lazy devs" mixed with conspiracy theories that are already provably false. I thought you guys cared about developers? There's over 500 you're shitting on right now that have been making a game you can play already. MMORPG's have been known to take 6+ years to make with a smaller scope than this game. Hell, single player games have taken this long. That's not even taking into account of actually having to build the studios and all the fumbles along the way. Here's a youtube channel that covers all the updates that take place if you're curious about them actually "doing anything".

The way they procure money is indeed worrisome, and frankly odd that anybody would keep buying hundred dollar ships at this point.

FWIW: I bought the game from the get go and everything they've done so far doesn't seem out of the ordinary for a game being developed and a new developer studio being built. I've already put more hours into this game than you'd expect (in the dozens). You'd be surprised how fun it is to do a cargo run here and there and just check out different places.

Oct 25, 2017
At this point if you are still giving money no sympathy. I guess we will find out in 2025 when Chris Roberts disappears with millions unaccounted for.

Status
Not open for further replies.