• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The local Harris Teeter is out of most bread and milk. Saw people walking out with two shopping carts full of stuff. Tensions are on the rise as well. Had a guy honking his horn incessantly at me, I guess since I didn't want to turn my car into the line of moving traffic he took offense, started riding my bumper when I finally got a chance to turn. Turned out he was going to the same place I was. When my six foot going to the gym self got out of my car and he realized he was about 5' 8" and a fat boomer he thought better of it and drove off. Was funny seeing him size me up and in like five seconds being like "nope, I made a mistake".

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
People are just insane.

And the sad thing is that if you go to a ralphs today here in LA, it'll probably be picked clean, but I went to a mexican grocery today, and it was like any normal day.

Maybe I should be thankful that some people are panicking but still refuse to shop in certain neighborhoods.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Here in Florida I think people are confusing coronavirus with a hurricane.

I see people stocking up on water and canned foods like we're going to go without power for weeks.Also I've seen long lines for gas at certain cheap gas stations.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
A marathon with 1500 people crowded where everyone will be sweating and fluids all over is fine? Meanwhile even small events in the US are all cancelled.

do you want to know something that will explode your mind:

i'm a health and safety professional for my local government authority who has been heavily involved with our covid-19 prevention strategy over the last two weeks for 900+ sites and around 8500 employees

if it was indoors... fair enough. but it's outdoors, and rational control measures are in place to reduce the level of risk down to an acceptable level which in turn will allow the event to continue

we might be a laughing stock the british... and usually rightly so. but there is a deep rooted 'the show must go on' mentality over here

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Went to the grocery store yesterday and it was pretty tame, busier than usual but not apocalyptically so as most plces seem to be. Shelves were barer but not empty and for some reason yogurt got ransacked but besides that it was business as usual.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I live in Allentown, PA and it was a little crazy on Thursday night.

But I went in today to get some of the stuff my wife couldn't when she was in there and it was pretty normal.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I went to my local Costco here near Toronto on Thurs and it was actually kind of empty, even the gas station line was very short, only 2 cars in front of me. However I heard the guy talking to the women filling up in front of me and he said the line went around to the entrance on Wed. Still surprising as gas is super cheap right now.

They seemed to have lots of everything except toilet paper, Kirkland water (they had a bunch of the more expensive brands) and disinfectant wipes. Luckily I bought a whole pack of 6 things of disinfectant wipes (on sale!) at Costco the week before lol and have plenty of TP and water as well. They still had paper towels but everyone was grabbing some and I was down to 3 rolls at home so I did pick some up.

I went to my local Walmart today and the toilet paper and paper towels aisle was completely empty.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Went to one yesterday and literally the only thing sold out was toilet paper. No line to get in, no crazy crowd. Stop rushing to buy and hoard fucking toilet paper people! Seems to only be crowded at opening

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Depends how good the toilet paper was
giphy.gif

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I had a decent time going to Ralph's at 11pm last night. It was still crowded, but not nearly as bad as it was earlier in the day. Costco is pretty much a no-go.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Time your trips y'all. I normally shop in the evening shortly before close anyway (I'm a night owl and have an anxiety disorder, so I prefer to avoid people) and did so at Trader Joe's last night.

They were actually restocking stuff as I shopped, and it wasn't very crowded at all. Same was true for my Publix a couple days ago. Employees at both encouraged me to continue to come at that time of night, as that's when they're most likely to have things in stock and not have insane crowds.

I'm not going anywhere near a Costco for the next two months though. You'd have to pay me a substantial amount of money.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Time your trips y'all. I normally shop in the evening shortly before close anyway (I'm a night owl and have an anxiety disorder, so I prefer to avoid people) and did so at Trader Joe's last night.

They were actually restocking stuff as I shopped, and it wasn't very crowded at all. Same was true for my Publix a couple days ago. Employees at both encouraged me to continue to come at that time of night, as that's when they're most likely to have things in stock and not have insane crowds.

I'm not going anywhere near a Costco for the next two months though. You'd have to pay me a substantial amount of money.
Each TJ is different, some won't be stocking until after closing time. Some won't be getting certain stuff like water until the morning. Plus not everything will be stocked cause the workers still have to break down the pallets and check off manifests. The best time will always be right when they open, but you're gonna have to deal with the crowds, but if you want most items then that's the best way.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Each TJ is different, some won't be stocking until after closing time. Some won't be getting certain stuff like water until the morning. Plus not everything will be stocked cause the workers still have to break down the pallets and check off manifests. The best time will always be right when they open, but you're gonna have to deal with the crowds, but if you want most items then that's the best way.

/shrug

Just passing along what they told me.

Plus I'm not worried about water. Utilities will be fine.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I'm inclined to agree based on my service experience. Also, unloading those trucks is back breaking hard work so please don't bother them if you see them moving product. If it was like my job, its no more than two people unloading everything.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Traffic was backed up maybe 1.5-2 miles because of people trying to get into costco when I was near one, trying to get somewhere else lol.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Well I just stopped by that same Costco location and there is no line or anything, just a little bit busier than usual. I assume that line must have been people lining up before opening or something.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
My Publix on Thursday was a complete madhouse. Bread, milk, water, paper products, rubbing alcohol and sanitizers, and water: all gone or just about gone. Lines went down the aisles, making it that much harder to move about. Also no shopping carts by the time I arrived; I put my meager belongings in a basket given to me the manager.

Today it's better around the area. People are stocked up now so stores are gonna recover. But I never wanna go through that shit again.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly enough the majority of the madness is Costco specific. My local places are busy but damn

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I went to get gas today, and it wasn't really bad. I'm not going to risk going inside, though.

But holy shit. That many people all there is such a huge vector for disease.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I went to a Sams club today (I usually just shop as Costco). It was pretty dead and picked clean already of the essential stuff. All the eggs and meat was gone, except shrimp, weirdly enough. They had pallets of paper towels around though, haha. And there was some store brand hand soap.

Using the app to check out is pretty dope though. I want Costco to do that.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Went by Costco in the OC today and it had close to 100 people in line to get INTO the store (around 11am). The store was apparently limiting the number of people in the store at any one time (possibly to keep crowds down/limit contact), and also limiting toilet paper and water purchases to 1 per member. Seemed fairly orderly for the most part, though it's crazy how many people are panic buying essentials.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
HEB was kind of crazy on Wednesday but it wasn't too bad yet. I was able to get mostly everything I wanted. TP was obviously gone and the frozen vegetables were mostly picked clean. Lots of non-perishables still on the shelves then though.

When I went on Thu it was pretty bad

All perishable and non-perishable were gone, soap, sanitizer, toilet paper, meat both fresh and processed, cheese, bread, milk, water, juice and fricken chips and soda.

Just went to HEB today and got water and tp so all good now 😂

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So far all I've hoarded is a month worth of cat food. If it comes down to it I can just eat top ramen and wipe my butt with a pinecone for a few weeks, but that bitch won't let me hear the end of it if I try to switch up her brand of chicken-flavored food pellets to any other brand of chicken-flavored food pellets.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Preppers must be having a constant boner nowadays. That's their hopes and dreams coming through.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
I'm in Costco in WA right now, and I'm legit impressed at how orderly things are. They're sold out of paper products and don't have a lot of variety of bread left, but everything else is reasonably stocked. They're only letting people into the store in 25 person bursts, so it's actually lighter inside than a normal weekend. Bit of a wait to get in, but some of the shortest checkout lines I've seen here.

I can only pray things stay this orderly for the duration of this mess...

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
It's super weird how much worse it is in some cities compared to others. My local grocery store was basically normal today and had buttloads (heh) of toiletpaper still.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Here in Florida I think people are confusing coronavirus with a hurricane.

I see people stocking up on water and canned foods like we're going to go without power for weeks.Also I've seen long lines for gas at certain cheap gas stations.
It seems everyone is. Pandemic and natural disasters are different lol.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Good friend of mines brother works for publix corporate. He's says they have plenty of supplies, it's just they never have time to restock the shelves, so now all of my local stores close at 8 now instead of 10/11so they can actually get a chance to put shit on shelves.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are fucking terrfied. And they think they are going to starve/run out of supplies in their homes. They dont know what to do so they arent acting rationally. They are grabbing everything that they can. It doesnt help that there goverment is doing shit all.

Last edited: