• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
That's what I will do. I have shit imagination whatsoever for creating levels.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Story mode looks to fill the void while the creators migrate over to it, and then there should be no end of stuff to play. I dabbled in the creation stuff in SMM1, but I was really just in it to play other people's stuff and never regretted it.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Most people who buy this will not be making levels, outside of messing around. So yeah, do it!

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
BIG YES! I'm not planning to build shit because I suck at that, but I'm gonna play the fuck out of plenty of levels and have a great time as that was always the reason why I wanted to get Mario Maker.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I don't know how many levels I will create, I will surely try, but I am buying it firstly to play the campaign and, then, all the levels created by the users.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
It's infinite mario levels to play. I doubt I'll create much but I'm more psyched about seeing the creativity.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I bought the first Mario maker with no intention of making levels, just playing other people's. I played maybe 15 and never cared to touch it again. Quality varies too much and a lot of top rated levels are gimmicks.

So no intention to buy Mario Maker 2, waiting for the next proper 2D Mario. The NSMBU port doesn't cut it either since I have it on Wii U and it didn't add any significant content.

Deleted member 24540

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Here is what you can expect from the Nintendo-made levels in terms of structure. There's a ton of clever ideas in there, but really it's just a linear series of out of context set pieces that showcase the ins and outs of the new features:

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Yes. I have zero intention on making proper levels. Just want to enjoy talented peoples great creations.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I think on the Wii U version I uploaded 5 levels and played well over 7000 levels. I'm more of a player than maker for sure

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I lost interest in SMM1 pretty quick, so I am passing on 2. I don't care for creating levels and I found that the collection of user-created levels (in 1) became nothing but gimmick stages that were either dull or incredibly aggravating.

To each their own though.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I got a WiiU Mario Maker bundle as a gift and building levels wasn't really my thing. Had a wonderful time with it, though I was using some website to help me discover levels. Seems like here it might be easier+more SP content/structure? I'm not too worried.

I also have a 5 year old now who I can child labor into making levels for me.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Even though I love making games I hate level creators in games. And I will be buying without the intention of ever making a level...

Oct 28, 2017
I am buying it just because I expect other people to make amazing auto play levels (ie the ones where you just hold down right and it puts Mario through a Rube Goldberg machine) and I want to experience those.

Might not even touch the game for a few weeks until a few of those get built.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
I'll probably try making a level and after 20 minutes come to the conclusion that I'm not dedicated, smart or creative enough to make anything that's any good.

BUT

Other better people will make a ton of fun levels that I want to play, so I'm still getting it.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I have zero interest in making my own levels, but I'll be buying MM2 for the Nintendo/player made levels. I keep telling myself to wait for a few weeks/months before buying though, to give people time to experiment with level designs and let the cream rise to the top in terms of votes/rankings.

Oct 25, 2017
Let me put it this way: the Wii U is my most-played platform of 2019 entirely on the back of catching up on Mario Maker, and in this time I've only finished and uploaded one new stage.

If you'll pardon me for doing something a little lazy and crass, I'm just going to copy and paste my answer to the same question from a different thread, as this gets asked all the time.

Is Mario Maker worthwhile as a play-only experience?

The answer is yes, but you have to tune the experience to your needs. In my experience, the players in SMM1 who just browsed aimlessly in-game or ran the random queue lost interest extremely quickly and never saw more than a fraction of what the game had to offer.

While SMM2 is improving a few of the discovery features (better search functionality, a better reason to play the random queue thanks to multiplayer ranks and medals, the redesign of the random queue as Endless Mode, adding a downvote button), playing in-game submissions from random strangers will always be a messy experience because Mario Maker actually consists of many overlapping communities that have totally different priorities and value systems. If a creator is really into "don't press anything" automatic/music stages, and is constantly upvoted by other players who are really into automatic stages, no matter how good they are at what they do, you're not going to appreciate their work if you hate automatic stages. There are people all over Reddit and YouTube who, mystifyingly, are really into self-described troll stages that are basically extended die-and-retry puzzles (hit the trap, avoid the trap). There are people who just slap an upvote on their favourite streamers and media figures no matter how incompetent their creations are (and I quickly learned to recognize when an exceptionally popular stage was loaded with stars not because it was playable, but because it came from some stupid quasi-comedy act like Game Grumps). And there are stages out there that are very well designed all around but aren't in your comfort zone as a player—in either direction, too easy or too hard. I admire many of the extremely technical Super Expert stages that are popular among a certain segment of Twitch, for instance, but I admire them as a viewer rather than someone who actually intends to play them, since I can't pull off basic Kaizo techniques like shell jumps.

So the best way to play Mario Maker, I've found, is to find creators and communities who share your values as a player and who cater to what you most enjoy. For instance, I like lengthy stages with inventive mechanics, good spacing, optional exploration, and a difficulty close to or slightly above endgame Nintendo Mario (in SMM1, the sweet spot for me is a clear rate of 2-10%). And it wasn't hard at all—browsing here, the previous forum, Reddit, recommendations from mechanics-and-tricks YouTubers like Ceave, or community projects like 3YMM—to find exactly what I wanted. Part of why I've been playing so many Era SMM1 stages in the past few months has been to get a head start on figuring out who I really like around here as a level builder. Also, when you browse these communities, you tend to find people who put a lot of effort into packaging and presenting their creations to share with others, which usually indicates a high enough degree of personal investment that they likely put some effort into assembling the levels in the first place.

I've cleared the overwhelming proportion of SMM1 stages I've ever played because I quickly learned to avoid the random queue (100 Mario Challenge in SMM1) and go for a self-curated experience, so I've rarely ever skipped or abandoned anything for quality reasons. Being plugged into a good community goes a long way in this game.

If you want conventional Nintendo-style Mario platforming, Era users are strongly biased in favour of them, at many different levels of difficulty, and the level of Mario knowledge around here is high enough that the majority of the SMM1 creations were at least clean and functional. (In fact, it might even be too traditional around here, as relatively few users from GAF/Era stuck around in SMM1 long enough to play with a lot of the Maker-exclusive technical concepts I like to see—but there are a few people here who do that too, and are very good at it.)

Bad Maker stages are horrible. Great Maker stages are phenomenal. But it's on you to figure out what a great stage means to you, and to put in your own work to find the people or communities who focus on them.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
You can enjoy it just playing other people's levels, but personally i think it's like buying a game and only playing half the content if you never intend to build anything, that's like half the fun of mario maker.

Emerald Hawk

Dec 12, 2017
New Jersey
I made a few. My kids are going to be in on it this time, too.
Even if I don't make any levels my kids (4 & 7) will be making some. They love making levels for me to play on the 3DS version of Mario Maker 1*. So if you have kids or play with them it's a worthwhile purchase, especially with coop level designing.

* (The 3DS version is awful because you can't choose which community levels you play, you can only play random levels)

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely!
Never hurts to try at least once but you'll definitely get your money's worth playing other people's levels.

Heck, with the story mode stuff, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Deleted member 1441

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. As a non builder myself, I've been playing the Story mode and having a lot of fun with that. A lot of the stages in Story are really creative and challenging, without being unfair like some stages you'll find online.

Deleted member 56773

Banned
May 16, 2019
Yes.

I have no idea if I'll make levels but I sure as fuck am gonna play a ton of levels made by others cuz there's some hilarious and talented people out there.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I don't plan on making any levels. Too much of a time-sink for (let's be honest) levels that aren't gonna get any kind of attention. I made a handful of levels in the first game, they took me about 3-5 hours each and none of them were that great. I had some fun designing them, but in the end it felt like a waste of my time, so I ended up just playing other user-levels instead.

ffdgh

Oct 25, 2017
The Mushroom Kingdom
Totally. People made amazing levels with the limited options that were available in the first game. Just imagine the new stuff that's coming with all the new edit parts and themes we're getting and even more in updates.