• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Metroid Prime 4 was mentioned, briefly, during today's Nintendo Direct before the Metroid Dread announcement:

youtube.com

✂️ Metroid Prime still in the works

19 seconds · Clipped by getsmack · Original video "Nintendo Direct | E3 2021" by Nintendo of America

Before we show this next trailer, I'd like to say one thing. Currently, we are working hard on the latest game in the Metroid Prime series, Metroid Prime 4, which we previously announced. But today, we'd like to introduce another new entry in the Metroid franchise.

For clarification: Metroid Prime 4 is in development at Retro Studios, while Metroid Dread is being developed by MercurySteam. The two projects are separate from one another. So while Metroid Dread is a newly announced game coming this year, it is not replacing Prime 4, and it does not mean that Prime 4 has been cancelled.

I felt the need to make this thread after a few people were confused in the Metroid Dread thread and thought that Prime 4 was cancelled or something, so sorry if this seems like a weird thread to make, but it also just seems newsworthy since it's at least some sort of update on the game, even if it's just saying, "yes, it's still coming."

Last edited:

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
55c4bfc022ef0d5fe9f8ac28d84d54bd.png

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I really like this trend of Nintendo keeping "2D" and "3D" variations on their franchises running.

Now if we can just get a new 2D Mario and a new 2D Zelda we'll be in business.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Ok good. that poster who feared Dread coming out meant Prime 4 was cancelled can rest easy

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
seeing the "prime 4 dead" and "bayo 3 dead" posts on ERA made me wonder, what's Ninty's track record with cancelled-after-announcement games? With Dread finally seeing the light of day after what, 2 internal cancellations it seems Nintendo really sees those projects through even if it takes forever

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
There have been several people in the Dread thread throughout the day who thought that Prime 4 was cancelled in favor of Dread, so… yeah.
ERA always going crazy with hot takes during e3 - doesnt mean much.
We had a thread about Pokemon being in trouble because it didnt show up in todays stream lol.

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
I created a clip of the 20 seconds it is mentioned. Could just put this up in the OP if you want. Sorry couldn't embed it. Kept giving me errors.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I'm sure Retro are ready to show us a glimpse of the game, it's just that we are not ready to see it. The GOAT is coming.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the more we acknowledge the subset of people on Era that are incapable of processing information like regular people the more we encourage this kind of behaviour.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I LOL'd a little when they did that expectation management lead-in to Metroid 5 because of what happened to Federation Force.

Yes of course its still in development. Probably a Super Switch focused title at this point.

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
seeing the "prime 4 dead" and "bayo 3 dead" posts on ERA made me wonder, what's Ninty's track record with cancelled-after-announcement games? With Dread finally seeing the light of day after what, 2 internal cancellations it seems Nintendo really sees those projects through even if it takes forever

Cosmic Walker neva 5get

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
when they announced the Retro reboot I didn't expect to see a proper reveal before late 2021, and that was before COVID hit

hope to see it sometime next year, but i am very happy with the Dread announcement

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I remember first getting hyped for an HD Prime game back in 2012 before the Wii U. Can't believe it'll be 10 years since then when we'll actually see it.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Yes... I do believe that is the case. 🧐

I hope my fellow ERA members, in the other Metroid threads, that aren't aware of this revelatory news, read this friendly PSA.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I mean yeah, the bigger question though is how many times they've restarted development on it and how far along is this current iteration?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
That's good to know, I have been (Metroid) Dreading that it was cancelled.
There can never be enough Metroid in this world.