• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Yelp_Business-Accused-of-Racist-Behavior-Alert.png

blog.yelp.com

New Consumer Alert on Yelp Takes Firm Stance Against Racism - Yelp

Update: To learn about the most commonly asked questions regarding our media-fueled Consumer Alerts, read more in our FAQ. At Yelp, we value diversity, inclusion and belonging, both internally and on our platform, which means we have a zero tolerance policy to racism. We know these values are...

and here are some of the reactions:

Last edited:

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
I appreciate the intent but I don't see this going well for Yelp.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. I'm afraid this will get misused. People like those you put in the OP may tag restaurants with it if they dare to say something political. And others will wear it proudly, becoming right-wing darlings like Chik-Fil-A or Hobby Lobby.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This isn't going to end well. I understand the idea behind it but fear it's ripe for abuse.

Steelrain

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

I'm part of a group that tries to raise awareness of racist-owned businesses in NC. This will help a lot.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It says they'll attach a news article, so the business must have got a lot of negative attention already. Like if they start labelling Chick Fil A for homophobic behaviour, there can be many sources to attach as evidence.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
I wish there's an unofficial Facebook or Twitter add-on that can do this sort of thing...

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's to stop white supremacist's from "review bombing" let's say a local black owned business for being "racist toward white people". Or toward Asians and vice versa?

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't going to end well. I understand the idea behind it but fear it's ripe for abuse.
That's my trepidation too.

People get disproportionately angry at restaurants for a variety of petty reasons. I can see far more petulent white people using it to cry wolf than it's original intension.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I like this idea, except that as far as I know, Yelp's business model is more or less "reputation management" and I get the feeling that they will give racist businesses an opportunity to pay their way out of the label.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
This may sound good on paper, but it's just another move for Yelp to extort money from small business owners. Also I'm sure like 99% of the reports are going to be from Karens when a non white worker is being "uppity".

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Entitled racists won't abuse this at all, no
I appreciate the intent but I don't see this going well for Yelp.
For the reasons those shitheads hate the move, I can't help but feel Kiwis/4chan raiders could take disadvantage of this stance, too.

It's not like Yelp has been used like this before!
Hmm. I'm afraid this will get misused. People like those you put in the OP may tag restaurants with it if they dare to say something political. And others will wear it proudly, becoming right-wing darlings like Chik-Fil-A or Hobby Lobby.
100% can picture racist assholes projecting with this.
What's to stop white supremacist's from "review bombing" let's say a local black owned business for being "racist toward white people". Or toward Asians and vice versa?
That's my trepidation too.

People get disproportionately angry at restaurants for a variety of petty reasons. I can see far more petulent white people using it to cry wolf than it's original intension.
This is going to backfire
Read the article!!

It says they'll attach a news article, so the business must have got a lot of negative attention already. Like if they start labelling Chick Fil A for homophobic behaviour, there can be many sources to attach as evidence.
I think its fine as long as its not based on user reports?
This 👆

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
There is a lot of cynicism here that to me reads like defeatism, rather than constructive. We shouldn't be scared of racists. Whether execution of this policy is effective or not, I praise Yelp for doing material action against racism rather than just performing by putting a black square on their social media.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Read the article!!

This 👆
This doesn't make me feel any better about it. Is shit like OAN or The Blaze (or even good ol' America's #1 news network Fox) going to be accepted? You run into the same issue that facebook has created for itself (and is handling horribly). Unfortunately there are many news outlets that are barely a step above reddit trolls.

Oct 27, 2017
I fully expect yelp to delete those warnings if businesses pay them, like how yelp already makes money by manipulating the reviews of businesses who pay yelp for advertising (as well as the ones who refuse to pay). Don't buy into the marketing.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this was my first thoughts.

Yelp can be abused a lot.

Besides you could go to a chinese restaurant as a white person, feel that you didn't get the same attention as an asian couple, and flag them as racist.
Again, read the article. You can't flag a restaurant as racist. Yelp is the one who will do the flagging.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Damn ya got me. In that case I guess ill take a wait and see approach

I just really don't like things like yelp because people often complain about the dumbest things.

I wonder how many people actually check yelp for reviews because its usually just used for complains, in my area it's usually reccomendations from family and friends and if not it's picking a restaurant and hope for the best.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Every place/app should have this. (Airbnb, real estate offices, etc).

You guys turning this into a bad thing is probably why that will never happen.

Read the article guys before you start playing 4D chest in your head over what racist will "try" and do.

We need one for discrimination against LGBTQ folks to but this is a great first step.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every place/app should have this. (Airbnb, real estate offices, etc).

You guys turning this into a bad thing is probably why that will never happen.

Read the article guys before you start playing 4D chest in your head over what racist will "try" and do.

We need one for discrimination against LGBTQ folks to but this is a great first step.
yelp isn't exactly known for being friendly to businesses that don't give them money. they should definitely be watched and they should definitely not be allowed to take money in exchange for removing the warning.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Terrible idea. I assure you that reviews will already tell you, if you're looking for it.

This is just a siren. An easily-abused siren.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, seems like a good idea but I don't trust Yelp. The cynical view is that they now have a good mechanism to 'righteously' block a bunch of negative reviews. Then have a 'process' which may or may not, once the anger has died down, 'PR' away those reviews. Like, what counts as news articles/proof? Most instances are people capturing videos or posting tweets.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
yelp isn't exactly known for being friendly to businesses that don't give them money. they should definitely be watched and they should definitely not be allowed to take money in exchange for removing the warning.

Can't know until they try it out.

As someone who's experienced racism on Airbnb I hope for things of this nature to be easily called out or reported on other platforms too.

If yelp is going to be the test dummy even if it's purely commercialized, be my guest.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yelp, your heart's in the right place but this won't help. Just let users review bomb like they're done before.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Says a lot when your first reaction is to immediately whine and cry foul like these tweeters...

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California

Surprise surprise, it's already being abused. Louis Rossman's Yelp page was flooded with obviously fake reviews alleging racist behavior, and Yelp has allowed them to stay up despite their clear, clear trolling.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
lol I can think of some old white boomer business owners who will be FURIOUS about this news. I had a roommate in college who worked at a store where the owner would post unhinged replies to every negative Yelp review, including a few that described her being racist toward customers in the store.

I would be worried about trolls using this to tag black-owned businesses or just anyone that they don't like, though.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That second Twitter douchebag's profile is a real trip. Dude's concerned about how the youth of today will have PTSD from all the teachers and scientists telling them they could die if they don't wear a mask 😂

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
This is great but this feels like it could get easily abused in the future

Edit: NVM there's actual attempts to prevent that