• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I always made the assumption that the workers just never wanted to make them. Why else would McDonalds even offer these items, if their appliances to make them suck and never seem to get fixed/improved? Just a waste of everyone's time and if they really were "broken" that often, remove them from the menu since you are just wasting food product at that point :/

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Did not expect this to turn into a race conversation. I'm assuming Mcdonalds in black/low-income areas would have more broken ice creams machines because they've been allotted less funds than the ones in white/more-affluent areas?

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
The ice cream makers were by far the worst things to clean/maintain at the end of the night. I'd of pretended they're broken if I could.

edit: Grill traps after breakfast were the 2nd worst, though way easier.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
I always made the assumption that the workers just never wanted to make them. Why else would McDonalds even offer these items, if their appliances to make them suck and never seem to get fixed/improved? Just a waste of everyone's time and if they really were "broken" that often, remove them from the menu since you are just wasting food product at that point :/
I still remember the rumor going around that these icecream machines never get cleaned because its a pain and that's why they break down so often. I remember someone writing into the bombcast saying they have found tons of dead bugs gunking up the works when they tried to repair a broken one, not sure how much truth there is to the story

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Did not expect this to turn into a race conversation. I'm assuming Mcdonalds in black/low-income areas would have more broken ice creams machines because they've been allotted less funds than the ones in white/more-affluent areas?
They're a franchising company so most restaurants are individual companies or grouped in small clusters belonging to the same person. So the ones in poorer areas are probably poorer themselves just because there's less money going around in the area.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't live in America but I've never encountered a broken ice cream machine in a McDonald's. I guess that's a thing

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of times I hauled my sweating carcass to a mcdonalds to get one of their shakes and the machine was broken

would love to know if those machines were broke in advance

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
they kinda took the idea of shopify stock limits, you just place an order for as high as you can to see how much stock there's left except in this case it's how many ice cream machines are broken

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Why does the amount of the order need to be so high to determine that the machine is broken?

EDIT: It's the total of orders at ALL restaurants, I got it now.

Last edited:

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
For reference as to why they're "broken"

Apparently, there's a perfectly good adequate reason that McDonald's ice cream machines seem to be broken almost more often than they're working. They're not broken.

Turns out, the soft serve machines must go through a laborious cleaning cycle that can last hours. The process isn't simply wiping down the machine, but involves an 11-step process that includes using a sanitizer/warm water mix to clean seven removable parts. There are also two irremovable parts that must be scrubbed for at least 60 seconds, before the entire outside of the machine is wiped down with a sanitized towel.

During this labor-intensive process, the machines are unable to serve up any frosty goodness and if the crew is busy serving customers, cooking food, or cleaning other parts of the restaurant, the machine sits unassembled and inoperable. Also, if they've just cleaned and reassembled the machine, some employees claim there's a good chance they'll tell customers it's down, just to avoid going through the process again. Can you really blame them?

Read More: https://www.mashed.com/135144/the-r...s-always-seem-to-be-broken/?utm_campaign=clip

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I still remember the rumor going around that these icecream machines never get cleaned because its a pain and that's why they break down so often. I remember someone writing into the bombcast saying they have found tons of dead bugs gunking up the works when they tried to repair a broken one, not sure how much truth there is to the story

The ice cream makers were by far the worst things to clean/maintain at the end of the night. I'd of pretended they're broken if I could.

edit: Grill traps after breakfast were the 2nd worst, though way easier.

Well, sounds like this might be the case! Too bad a company with all that money couldn't have come up with an easier-cleaning machine.

(I did hear that breakfast stuff was hard to clean up, which was why workers hated the breakfast all day, which sadly ended recently... Sorry McDonald workers for ordering McMuffins after breakfast hours! >_>)

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
McDonald's have a secret ocean base.

1MYKYus.png

Why does the amount of the order need to be so high to determine that the machine is broken?
~13700 locations, one order per location.

T-Virus

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2020
I worked at McDonald's and let me tell you this.

The ice cream machines is a really complicated piece of machinery that cost about $20k and they require bi-weekly cleaning/maintenance that take up to 5 hours to do properly and small things like a misplaced gasket will cause the machine to not work. It is most likely that; you ordered the ice cream when the machine was down for maintenance/cleaning or the guy doing it was new and messed up something when cleaning it.

Edit. They ice cream machine has an internal clock and sensor that if the machine is not cleaned every 15 days it will stop working until it's cleaned.

Last edited:

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Well, sounds like this might be the case! Too bad a company with all that money couldn't have come up with an easier-cleaning machine.

There's just so much you can simplify when the machine involves very sticky dairy based liquid.

Also I don't think I'd ever trust ice cream from Mcdonalds after working there. I trusted my place since i worked there personally so I saw the upkeep on it was good, but that thing gets nasty very quickly if it isn't maintained. I can't really trust any random McDonalds that they're cleaning it well and regularly.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's just so much you can simplify when the machine involves very sticky dairy based liquid.

Also I don't think I'd ever trust ice cream from Mcdonalds after working there. I trusted my place since i worked there personally so I saw the upkeep on it was good, but that thing gets nasty very quickly if it isn't maintained. I can't really trust any random McDonalds that they're cleaning it well and regularly.

The first place I ever saw a cockroach IRL was inside a McDonalds ice cream or shake machine. Not sure which.
The second place I ever saw a cockroach was on the counter of the same McDonalds.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Being broken is annoying, but getting chocolate in your vanilla milkshake because it's the same nozzle for all flavours is just as bad!

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't had any ice cream from them in over 10 years but when I did they were never broken. Wonder if I should test my luck.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com

The ice cream machines is a really complicated piece of machinery that cost about $20k and they require bi-weekly cleaning/maintenance that take up to 5 hours to do properly and small things like a misplaced gasket will cause the machine to not work. It is most likely that; you ordered the ice cream when the machine was down for maintenance/cleaning or the guy doing it was new and messed up something when cleaning it.

Edit. They ice cream machine has an internal clock and sensor that if the machine is not cleaned every 15 days it will stop working until it's cleaned.

Are they that much different than other fast food places though?

SemRockwel

Oct 27, 2017

The ice cream machines is a really complicated piece of machinery that cost about $20k and they require weekly cleaning/maintenance that take up to 5 hours to do properly and small things like a misplaced gasket will cause the machine to not work. It is most likely that; you ordered the ice cream when the machine was down for maintenance/cleaning or the guy doing it was new and messed up something when cleaning it.

I also used to work at Mcds and more than likely they would not be cleaning the machine during peak hours (where they make most of their money).

So if this guy ran the test at about 6-7 pm est on a weekday that should give you a decent look into how many machines are broken or not. Unless there are 1000s of stores that are completely mismanaged ofc.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
I see that often on the internet, but is that a US only joke? Not that I eat a lot of ice cream at McDonald, but never heard anyone having trouble here (Canada).

captainwhat

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think this has so much to do with racism, as particular stores might not keep up with the repairs.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

What about from places like Dairy Queen (where they exist), since their food is primarily the ice cream treats, so I would think that cleaning out a Blizzard machine wouldn't be nearly as intense? Or maybe because they aren't also super busy working with hot foods, that they actually get cleaned more often?

Don't think I've even had a McFlurry, just grew up on Dairy Queen stuff.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I see that often on the internet, but is that a US only joke? Not that I eat a lot of ice cream at McDonald, but never heard anyone having trouble here (Canada).

I sure have, from small towns. I always just figured because "small town" that they didn't have money to buy a new one or something, but then found out it was waaaaay more widespread.

Handicapped Duck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
So is corporate racism the reason I can't get a McFlurry at 2:00am? I always hated how they just stopped serving ice cream past 11:00pm.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
So is corporate racism the reason I can't get a McFlurry at 2:00am? I always hated how they just stopped serving ice cream past 11:00pm.

At the end of the night the machines are cleaned or new ice cream juice is added which means it hasn't had time to freeze properly yet. If I remember correctly on non cleaning nights the machine heats up the mixture to kill any bad stuff, so it's inoperable during that time.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the night the machines are cleaned or new ice cream juice is added which means it hasn't had time to freeze properly yet. If I remember correctly on non cleaning nights the machine heats up the mixture to kill any bad stuff, so it's inoperable during that time.

Ice cream juice must be the equivalent of pink chicken nugget yogurt/slime.

Oct 26, 2017
What about the orders that are getting through? Is anyone paying for them or are they cancelled before payment?
This seems kind of like a DoS attack.