• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
5eea27b359820e0c631823c0_YellowBrick_WhitelLogo_noBackG_transparentGirl.png

5fb49f7fb6a149097b6c37e2_YellowBrick_ED_2020_028_Fixed_resized.jpg

Our Founders from left to right: Frederic St-Laurent B., Mike Laidlaw, Jeff Skalski, Thomas Giroux.

Based in Quebec City, Yellow Brick Games was founded by video games industry veterans with the goal of leadership in the new trend of Triple-I development: focused, high-quality titles that put the player experience first.​

Developing both innovative gameplay and original IPs, our team also puts a strong emphasis on work/life balance as we believe fulfilled team members deliver the best content.​

Source: https://www.yellowbrickgames.ca

Dragon Age's Mike Laidlaw joins Thomas Giroux, Jeff Skalski, and Frederic St. Laurent B. in helming a new independent studio called Yellow Brick Games.

"We have learned a lot from working on world-class, multi-year projects with thousands of colleagues and we want to take a different approach," said Skalski, the studio's Executive Producer and Chief Operating Officer. "Leveraging a smaller talented team where people come first, we will create amazing worlds and experiences for all others to enjoy. The market is moving fast, and we have no desire to play catchup and chase it when we can influence where it goes. These goals drove us to found Yellow Brick Games."

With fifteen employees total at this current time, the team is already hard at work on their first original game that will harness the power of this generation with the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. With a creative vision in mind, the team at Yellow Brick Games will continue to grow in the coming months, though the "craftmanship approach" will be always at the core of the studio's vision as it expands.

"We want to emphasize a "back-to-basics approach", centered on the pleasure of crafting new game experiences, in a flexible and more personable environment that an independent studio can provide," said Giroux. "We have all the resources at our disposal to achieve our goals."
Source: https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/1...h-industry-vets-like-dragon-ages-mike-laidlaw

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Definitely got the 'Coldplay cover band look' on point.

Nah but seriously wish em well.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The name and the logo remind me of Akaniero: Demon Hunters. For those unfamiliar with that game, that's when American McGee tried to make a Diablo-like (very loosely) based on Red Riding Hood with an indie studio. It... didn't go very well.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Can't wait to see what they have cooking. I am always interested when people leave companies to create new ones. They are on new companies to watch list for me. So far it's dreamhaven, and frost giant

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
weird for a company founded by four dudes to represent themselves with a logo depicting a young girl wielding a big axe imo.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
weird for a company founded by four dudes to represent themselves with a logo depicting a young girl wielding a big axe imo.

Between the company name & the logo, it seems likely that their first game is going to be an Action/RPG starring Dorothy.

EDIT: Most of the Oz books are public domain at this point. I've been tempted to make an Oz RPG myself several times.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020
Local singles available in YOUR area now! Ready to drink, dance or teach you the latest Destiny raid. Don't wait, log into QuebecCitySingles.com and find your connection.

5fb49f7fb6a149097b6c37e2_YellowBrick_ED_2020_028_Fixed_resized.jpg

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Bet multiple journalists have a txt saved where it says "goodbye yellow brick games" for when/if the company shutters.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Woah that's some cool talent. But wait...Laidlaw left BioWare?! I am now worried for Dragon Age 4. Without Gaider and Laidlaw I am not sure it's gonna survive total EA-fication(bastardizing GOAT franchises) :|

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Woah that's some cool talent. But wait...Laidlaw left BioWare?! I am now worried for Dragon Age 4. Without Gaider and Laidlaw I am not sure it's gonna survive total EA-fication(bastardizing GOAT franchises) :|

He left BioWare years ago

He joined Ubisoft Quebec

He left shorty after

Jason discovered that Ubisoft exec has cancelled an AAA RPG led by Laidlaw and the Ubi Quebec

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
They're forming an excellent team with amazing talent.

Seeing the industry in Quebec City grow and grow warms my heart so much. We have so much talent going around, and many studios producing great stuff.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What a diverse group.

I like Mike Laidlaw, I don't know the others but I hope their project turns out good. And cool if they focus on having good work conditions.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Excited to hear this. Hope they don't just get bought by MS. Would be really nice to have at least one RPG studio they haven't locked away yet.

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
I like the logo, it reminds me of the old Traveller's Tales logo but a little bit more modern.
It would be awesome if they could get back to the King Arthur game. Sorta like Patrice Desilets is still wanting to make 1666 Amsterdam.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy to see Laidlaw settle somewhere he won't be forced to chase trends. This studio should be really promising... presumably we'll get some cool RPG output from them.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Cute logo, funny picture of the gang, can't wait to see what they do. I also groan at the term "iii" (Triple i) but it fascinates me. Happy Ninja Theory got acquired so they can do more cool shit but the success of Senua made me optimistic for this kind of game to really thrive in the console space. Feel like PC has had this for a while but it's only them.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering whether Laidlaw would do his own thing ore re-join BioWare after the Ubisoft stuff didn't work out and now I have my answer.