• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are 30FPS more cinematic?

• Yes, they are.

Votes: 225 15.2%
  • Nope

Votes: 1,256 84.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
43 YES voters...

giphy.gif

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
A question for people who don't think 30fps is more cinematic:

Why aren't the Toy Story films delivered at 60 FPS?

Pixar have all the frames and the server farms and money to deliver it, why didn't they choose 60?

Video Games and movies are fundamentally different.

I think 48 FPS movies/TV look weird, i don't get that same sensation with video games. It's a completely different medium that can't be compared 1:1 like that.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
That's totally fine, they're different mediums, and video games have considerably more cushion & flexibility with frame rates and audience acceptance. If Avengers Endgame released at 60fps a lot of people would be weirded out by it, because it's inherently foreign to how movies have been viewed for over a century.

With video games, however, there is much more wiggle room, as the audience is used to experiencing games with a number of varying attributes (frame rate, resolution, 2D, 3D, VR, etc).

Still, "cinematic" is strictly referring to a video games ability to present an image that is familiar to a cinema experience, which includes direction, motion blur, frame rate, and any other number of things. A game running at 30fps with high quality motion blur and lighting will almost always be said to be "more cinematic" by the mass market than something running at a crisp 60fps, because the lower frame rate will be more familiar to them in the instance of viewing it like a movie.

Mind you I'm not making a case for which is better, I think both have artistic merits for different uses and genres, just trying to clear the muddy water in this thread where people seem to have missed the entirety of the title, the poll, and the OP.
Thanks for this,makes my understanding a lot clearer.

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
There's nothing "cinematic" in 30 fps compared to 60 fps. I couldn't return to 30 fps modes in God of War, tLoU, Gears 4, Hellblade, Witcher 3 after i played them in 60. For this reason i still didn't try performance mode in Forza Horizon 4, I'm afraid lol

Aug 12, 2019
I mean, cinematic doesn't really apply to framerate specifically. You can pull off better visuals at 30 FPS or do more complicated things because you're not using up the system's power to maintain double the framerate. And a 60 FPS experience can be more fluid and potentially visually stimulating. They each have benefits for the developer and their vision. It's up to that developer to actually utilize and recognize camera movements and actions on the screen/the shot to frame the video game in such a way that it "becomes more cinematic." I know some people swear by 60 FPS or die, but it really depends on how you're designing your game and what you're intending for the player to see/interact with. Bad developers will not make a game any more or less cinematic at 30 FPS or 60 FPS, while good ones can work with both.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
It's complicated. Sometimes I think it can be lend itself to the cinematic look, but 60fps feels better to play.

Even though 60fps feels better to play, it's always had a look of being in "fast forward" to me. I've noticed that the artifice of many animations becomes increasingly more obvious at high frame rates.

So I'm probably one of the weird ones, but YES I think it "LOOKS" more cinematic, BUT I'd still much prefer to play a game at 60fps if I have the choice.

I don't really see why both things can't be true and it's always odd that people present it as a binary choice. Because it can both be true that it looks more cinematic and that it also isn't preferable for a game to do as such.

I wholly agree with the statement above.

The weird thing is seeing gamers lost their mind when you suggest the best creative decision may be different to the best gameplay decision.

You can have both and it's a reason why we've seen games mix frame rates with high FPS gameplay and high level of detail lower FPS cutscenes.

I prefer playing at 60 but cutscenes at 30 are more cinematic to me because they look more like cinema.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
It's an argument that doesn't make sense, no. It CAN work in certain instances, for example as a horror game enthusiast certain things at a low frame rate can be surprisingly effective (though that's usually the animation of things rather than the performance), but I don't think 30 fps stand-alone makes things look more "cinematic" unless there's some creative direction and good execution to follow through with it.

This said, I don't care if most games are 30 fps myself. For faster paced games 60 fps does add to the fluidity of controls, there's certain games where 60 fps does add a lot to the experience. But there's many other games it really does not matter and I think some make too big a deal out of it.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
There's nothing "cinematic" in 30 fps compared to 60 fps. I couldn't return to 30 fps modes in God of War, tLoU, Gears 4, Hellblade, Witcher 3 after i played them in 60. For this reason i still didn't try performance mode in Forza Horizon 4, I'm afraid lol

This isn't necessarily true.

If you take the same game on two different PCs, and run one at 60fps with all the bells and whistles, and one at 30fps with all the same bells and whistles, I would bet my savings that the majority of people to see both would answer that the one at 30fps looks "more like a movie".

Because it does.

I don't understand why so many people are conflating the information in the OP. The OP doesn't ask anyone which frame rate is better for video games. It explicitly asks if 30fps is "more cinematic" (and even then, that's still a rather vague question because you can only answer it on a case by case basis). Cinematic, being the operative term here, is referring to a video games ability to recreate a "film like appearance" (with regards to movies we watch in the theater). 60fps, while better in many cases, is at an immediate disadvantage when it comes to "looking cinematic" because it is already "foreign" in appearance to movies, even with motion blur, etc. It can still look and play better w/out being "cinematic".

I think this thread would have been saved by a more clear definition of the word "cinematic", as this discussion went off the rails after the first few replies with people not understanding the intent of the thread.

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
I take cinematic to mean "like cinema" so yes, it is more cinematic since 30fps is closest to the movie-standard 24fps. Not to say that 60fps can't be "cinematic"

Is it inherantly better than 60fps for games in any scenario, I would have say no. I feel like a lot of people in this thread is missing that distinction and are getting upset at the "yes" voters. Don't think anyone is saying 30fps is better.

Either way I don't see what this thread is accomplishing lol

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
This isn't necessarily true.

If you take the same game on two different PCs, and run one at 60fps with all the bells and whistles, and one at 30fps with all the same bells and whistles, I would bet my savings that the majority of people to see both would answer that the one at 30fps looks "more like a movie".

Because it does.

I don't understand why so many people are conflating the information in the OP. The OP doesn't ask anyone which frame rate is better for video games. It explicitly asks if 30fps is "more cinematic" (and even then, that's still a rather vague question because you can only answer it on a case by case basis). Cinematic, being the operative term here, is referring to a video games ability to recreate a "film like appearance" (with regards to movies we watch in the theater). 60fps, while better in many cases, is at an immediate disadvantage when it comes to "looking cinematic" because it is already "foreign" in appearance to movies, even with motion blur, etc. It can still look and play better w/out being "cinematic".

I think this thread would have been saved by a more clear definition of the word "cinematic", as this discussion went off the rails after the first few replies with people not understanding the intent of the thread.

Exactly this. The thread is literally only taking about what is more cinematic, as in, looks like cinema.

We're not talking about gameplay or feel.

Given the scope outlined in the OP and the literal definition of cinematic the correct answer is that 30 is more cinematic relative to 60.

What's preferable for gaming is a completely different question.

Oct 27, 2017
The argument is still as stupid as the day it was first toted out. That's not to say there's anything intrinsically wrong with 30 fps, after all with solid performance and steady frame pacing you can absolutely make something that plays like a dream (Destiny on console is a prime example of this). Still, that doesn't mean that 60fps will always be preferable from a raw gameplay standpoint.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People arguing that 30 fps games are similar to movies are completely ignoring the fact that rendered frames and filmed frames are apple's and oranges and in no way similar.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably because 30fps games have motion blur, film grain, chromatic abiration and vignetting to help which makes them feel more "cinematic".

60 is objectively better.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
It does though? I mean we can clearly define it as "looking like a movie". It's pretty straight forward, no?
No, since you watch a movie and you play a videogame.
A videogame that runs at 30fps is just a game that runs at 30fps, so you just the decent amount of information when you rotate the camera and do stuff.
Almost all games aren't made of still images, frequent camera cuts and slow pans... games are dynamic, so you need as many frames you can get to have a better experience.
You can enjoy 30fps games? Of course... but the same game at 60fps will always feel better to watch and play, always.
Games aren't like movies so you can't use the frame rate to compare those type of experiences other then in cutscenes... again, the whole "cinematic" thing related to videogame is such a pile of crap.

p.s. movies runs at 24fps btw, try play a game at constant 24fps and then come here to say how "cinematic" it is...

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
I'm in the minority and prefer 30fps for 3rd person games. It is definitely more cinematic. I'm also a graphics whore so if sacrificing performance nets me some more shiny things to look at, I'll take that 10 times out of 10.

60fps is totally fine in FPS and racing/sports games. And I actually prefer it in games like those. But if implemented in a 3rd person game, it is like giving it the "soap opera" effect that enhanced motion options on modern TV's do to the picture.

I'm sensitive to the change and know when I'm seeing 60fps in TLoU on performance mode and 30fps in "bells and whistles" mode.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
Yes, I feel like 30 fps is closer to how we experience things in reality. But for games responsiveness is more important.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
People arguing that 30 fps games are similar to movies are completely ignoring the fact that rendered frames and filmed frames are apple's and oranges and in no way similar.

What? A rendered frame is a still image. A filmed frame is a still image. Motion blur is a solution that mimics how a filmed frame at 24fps captures a still image. They are not THAT different. No one is igboring

Probably because 30fps games have motion blur, film grain, chromatic abiration and vignetting to help which makes them feel more "cinematic".

60 is objectively better.

60fps being objectively better is subjective. Some people might have a preference for different artistic choices, such as higher fidelity shadows & models over more responsive controls. This is all explicitly subjective when it comes to "what is better".

No, since you watch a movie and you play a videogame.
A videogame that runs at 30fps is just a game that runs at 30fps, so you just the decent amount of information when you rotate the camera and do stuff.
Almost all games aren't made of still images, frequent camera cuts and slow pans... games are dynamic, so you need as many frames you can get to have a better experience.
You can enjoy 30fps games? Of course... but the same game at 60fps will always feel better to watch and play, always.
Games aren't like movies so you can't use the frame rate to compare those type of experiences other then in cutscenes... again, the whole "cinematic" thing related to videogame is such a pile of crap.

p.s. movies runs at 24fps btw, try play a game at constant 24fps and then come here to say how "cinematic" it is...
A few things.
First, all games are comprised of still images. That's what a "frame" is. The engine renders a series of still images and sends them to your TV.

Second, I can agree that 60fps is better for player control and responsiveness. However, "better to watch" is subjective. Some people greatly appreciate video games that present themselves similarly to traditional cinema experience (examples include Uncharted, TLOU). To say "always better" to something subjective is to be disingenuous. Nothing more.

lastly, a game rendered at 24fps would still LOOK more like a movie than a game rendered at 60fps. It wouldn't be fun to play, but that isn't the topic of discussion here. It is explicitly about the visual representation of cinema in video games.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
why the hell is "cinematic gameplay" something people are obsessed with anyway

Games are perfectly capable of creatively standing on their own two feet, that said like film gaming is a no as you visual medium son is understandable that a lot of techniques are cribbed from Film.

Also people seem to like cinematic visual quality in games, the success Sony has in its single player exclusives confirms this.

Oct 27, 2017
Films should be upgraded to better framerate IMO.

24fps was the bare minimum compromise between costs and not having people barfing on the theater.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
It is closer to film so yes in the purest of terms.

However, looking at TLOU vs TLOU Remastered shows that the latter feels more cinematic and that is at 60fps.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
Films should be upgraded to better framerate IMO.

24fps was the bare minimum compromise between costs and not having people barfing on the theater.

I respectfully disagree.

imagine watching the dark knight but with the speed of days of our lives. Disgusting!

It's the reason I turn off any and all "motion enhancing options on my TV"

just my opinion though.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
What? A rendered frame is a still image. A filmed frame is a still image. Motion blur is a solution that mimics how a filmed frame at 24fps captures a still image. They are not THAT different. No one is igboring

I fully admit that i don't understand any of the technical differences between how frames work in movies compared to video games, but there must be something because i can spot a 48 fps movie/show immediately, but i don't know if a video game is 30 or 60 until i move the analog sticks.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas

I used to say the same thing, but the last time I played Bloodborne I got one of the worst headaches in my life and when I played again a few days later I got extremely light-headed. Maybe it's an age thing, or maybe it's because I mostly play games at 120+ FPS these days and 30 is even more of a shock. Regardless, it sucked.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
24 or bust, right?

Honestly, it doesn't make a difference to me. Eventually, I forget about framerate altogether.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I am all for 24fps movies. I love that frame rate in film. For games? Nah. Aim for 60+. Don't compromise on responsiveness or fluidity for that misguided goal.

Oct 3, 2019
Yes it's more cinematic, movies are typically 24fps so that's what people have come to expect from cinema. If you've ever watched a movie or show at a higher frame rate it looks strange. The argument isn't whether 30 fps is more cinematic, it's whether a "cinematic" frame rate is worth it.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
So many edgy answers on the first page...

I honestly feel like 30fps does give me an experience that, in comparison to 60, I can only really describe as "cinematic". I have trouble articulating exactly what's going on but if I ever saw a movie in 60fps, it'd look more like a soap opera to me. Kinda off-putting, in terms of something I'm just watching, that's not animated and has the lighting/atmosphere movies tend to go for, as opposed to a play or something like it...

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
60fps being objectively better is subjective. Some people might have a preference for different artistic choices, such as higher fidelity shadows & models over more responsive controls. This is all explicitly subjective when it comes to "what is better".
When people say higher framerates are objectively better, they generally mean when all else is equal. We're talking about framerate itself, not the tradeoff between framerate and other graphical priorities.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I hate 60fps movies, makes everything look like a soap opera and really weird.

Games? I'd rather 60 FPS but I'm not gonna drop something for being 30.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
30FPS is the reason I rarely game on consoles, it just feels horrible compared to what I'm used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.