• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are 30FPS more cinematic?

• Yes, they are.

Votes: 225 15.2%
  • Nope

Votes: 1,256 84.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lavatein

Sep 14, 2019
The idea that games should aspire to be as close as possible to cinema is absurd. Gaming is its own medium and has its own metrics that define its quality.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
"30 FPS is more cinematic" is corporate bullshit and anyone who believes it is getting played hard. It's nothing but an excuse from directors who can only repeat movies and aren't making games.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
1 games aren't cinema
2 cinema isn't defined by the fps anyway, otherwise the same movie in different regions would somehow be less or more cinematic
I was so pleased when 24hz output became a thing on TVs. No more dreaded 25fps speed up in PAL land. Now everything feels more cinematic. Not really of course! But at least Americans no longer sound like chipmunks - always wondered why they had higher pitched voices than us Brits lol

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I've really no idea what "more cinematic" means or is supposed to feel like but I've played games at 30 and 60 and I've no preference despite 60 being smoother.I really don't care.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
That was just yet another of countless corporate euphemisms to justify goals set under strict technical limitations in a disingenuous fashion (just like how you often see developers try to frame queries about why feature X is not in a sequel as an artistic choice when it's obvious to everyone that it's a time/budget sacrifice. They're obviously not allowed by the publisher to say it out loud). No one is going to arbitrarily limit themselves to 30fps if there are no penalties for 60fps. Even for games that artistically use a lower animation framerate like Cuphead can still have the actual game logic run at 60.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
The idea that games should aspire to be as close as possible to cinema is absurd. Gaming is its own medium and has its own metrics that define its quality.

I don't think this is an idea anyone has. Some studios want their games to mirror cinema, and that is fine, because that is their artistic vision. Some want their title to perform closer to "real life" motion, which is also fine, because that is their artistic vision.

We can have games across the full spectrum. Not all games need to be "cinematic" and not all games need to perform at 120fps, etc.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I've really no idea what "more cinematic" means or is supposed to feel like but I've played games at 30 and 60 and I've no preference despite 60 being smoother.I really don't care.

"More cinematic" inherently suggests closer to something that "looks like a movie" (as we know it and have known it for over a century). Typically games running at 30fps can afford more complex visual effects, thus lending themselves to something that "looks more cinematic". By reducing the number of frames, you can increase lighting effects, particle effects, model complexity, and any other number of things.

That said, not all games that are running at lower frame rates are adding those bells and whistles, so the question "are lower frame rates more cinematic" is one that has to be examined on a case by case basis.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
It definitely produces a similar effect to 24fps in movies, which is something we are conditioned to. So in that very limited, narrow sense, yes.

However, 60fps is unquestionably better to me in every single way.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
So I agree with the majority sentiment of the responses here, and yet, I know that my eyes and my brain HATED the visual effect that the Hobbit films produced when exhibited in 48fps. I get that 24 was the limiter back in the day and that we should be shooting in a higher frame rate these days for films...but how can we all help that we grew up with something different and that 48fps is an offense to the eyes now?

The effect on me was visceral. I wasn't nauseated per se, but I was physically upset watching 48 fps film.

(I do like and prefer 60 fps in games though. Humans are weird animals)

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I guess? What works for a movie is not always what's best for a video game though.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
A hard NO, that's all there really needs to be said.

But I'm NEVER going to ignore a game I'm interested in due to it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

"Cinematic" isn't defined by framerate.

As an aside, the fact that people were asking if AC:U would run at 60fps when even a game like infamous SS couldn't reach that was hilarious in retrospect.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Cinematic (adjective)

relating to the cinema.
"cinematic output"

having qualities characteristic of films.
"the cinematic feel of their video"

The correct answer is yes and it's not even debatable.

Typical films are shot at 24fps, 30 fps is a lot closer to that than 60.

You can say "as a gamer I always prefer higher frame rates" that's fine. But the statement that 30fps is more cinematic is categorically true.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Movies could be shot at a higher framerate as well, 24FPS is only a standard because of cost related reasons. 30FPS games being more cinematic has always been idiotic.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
It's marketing bullshit, and if you're the sort of credulous sap who bought into it: I've got a really awesome bridge to sell you.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Nah, but I did somehow prefer the look of the 30fps gameplay in PS3 Journey to its PS4 counterpart's. Can't really articulate why...

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Movies could be shot at a higher framerate as well, 24FPS is only a standard because of cost related reasons. 30FPS games being more cinematic has always been idiotic.
24 FPS is also just a cultural standard now, but flim also captures some in-between motion that games can only emulate with motion blur rather than letting your mind be tricked into smoothness with higher FPS

Oct 25, 2017
The OP: Are 30FPS more cinematic?
The Poll: Are 30FPS more cinematic?
The Title: Are 30FPS more cinematic?

What doesn't match?
In the OP you explicitly state that 30fps is "better" by virtue of it being more cinematic.

The title and poll make no such connection between frame count and "goodness." You could answer yes, 30 FPS is more cinematic, without thinking 30fps is better than 60.

I'm just being annoying though don't mind me. I just see so many bad polls that don't actually allow for the collection of appropriate data related to the question.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
1.Video games are fundamentally different to movies/TV shows and shouldn't be compared like this
2.Even if it were true, they could make the cutscenes 30 FPS and let the gameplay be 60.
3.The PC versions run 60, there's no artificial 30 FPS "cinematic" cap.
4.Why not run the game at 24 FPS to maximize the cinematic feel?
5.They stopped saying this for a reason

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
It's a meme, not a controversy. No one says that and actually means it. That said, 30fps is fine.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
"More cinematic" inherently suggests closer to something that "looks like a movie" (as we know it and have known it for over a century). Typically games running at 30fps can afford more complex visual effects, thus lending themselves to something that "looks more cinematic". By reducing the number of frames, you can increase lighting effects, particle effects, model complexity, and any other number of things.

That said, not all games that are running at lower frame rates are adding those bells and whistles, so the question "are lower frame rates more cinematic" is one that has to be examined on a case by case basis.
I have a hard time equating movies to video games tbh.
Like I said,I can see the difference between 30 and 60 and 60 is smoother....but I don't consider it better...just different.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
A question for people who don't think 30fps is more cinematic:

Why aren't the Toy Story films delivered at 60 FPS?

Pixar have all the frames and the server farms and money to deliver it, why didn't they choose 60?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
In that it mimics the framerate of cinema, yes, technically 30 is more cinematic. Its usage by Ubisoft, however, was less that and more of an exasperated answer to "why can't any of your games do 60 fps" (a question to which the actual answer is "because we like having pretty graphics, and also because console CPUs are almost always the bottleneck when it comes to console performance").

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
At the beginning of this gen, a director or something of Assasin's Creed Unity said that the game running at 30FPS was better, as it was more cinematic than 60. These comments, coupled with the disappointing performance of many titles on 2014, sparked a fairly big controversy at the time.

However, over time I've seen more and more people saying (unironically) that they prefer the cinematic feel of the 30FPS over the fluidness of 60 that made it feel more gamey; and while I mocked this attitude a few years ago... I got it when playing The Last of Us Remastered a few days ago. The game no doubt looks and feels more responsive at 60FPS, the experience at 30FPS feels much more like the movie-like, heavy experience The Last of Us is. So, what do you think?
th

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I have a hard time equating movies to video games tbh.
Like I said,I can see the difference between 30 and 60 and 60 is smoother....but i don't consider it better...just different.

That's totally fine, they're different mediums, and video games have considerably more cushion & flexibility with frame rates and audience acceptance. If Avengers Endgame released at 60fps a lot of people would be weirded out by it, because it's inherently foreign to how movies have been viewed for over a century.

With video games, however, there is much more wiggle room, as the audience is used to experiencing games with a number of varying attributes (frame rate, resolution, 2D, 3D, VR, etc).

Still, "cinematic" is strictly referring to a video games ability to present an image that is familiar to a cinema experience, which includes direction, motion blur, frame rate, and any other number of things. A game running at 30fps with high quality motion blur and lighting will almost always be said to be "more cinematic" by the mass market than something running at a crisp 60fps, because the lower frame rate will be more familiar to them in the instance of viewing it like a movie.

Mind you I'm not making a case for which is better, I think both have artistic merits for different uses and genres, just trying to clear the muddy water in this thread where people seem to have missed the entirety of the title, the poll, and the OP.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
It's complicated. Sometimes I think it can be lend itself to the cinematic look, but 60fps feels better to play.

Even though 60fps feels better to play, it's always had a look of being in "fast forward" to me. I've noticed that the artifice of many animations becomes increasingly more obvious at high frame rates.

So I'm probably one of the weird ones, but YES I think it "LOOKS" more cinematic, BUT I'd still much prefer to play a game at 60fps if I have the choice.

I don't really see why both things can't be true and it's always odd that people present it as a binary choice. Because it can both be true that it looks more cinematic and that it also isn't preferable for a game to do as such.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
I'm probably one of the few people that doesn't think 30 fps is a big deal on games. Sure it runs hella smooth at 60 but its not a dealbreaker for me. HOWEVER I DO prefer 60fps on any action based games. They go hand and hand like PB and J

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
That means Star Fox for SNES is the most cinematic game in the world.

For the dumbasses that voted yes.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Going purely semantically, yes. Cinematic, by definition, does after all mean "film like". As those are 24 FPS usually, 30 is indeed more film like, so that is an easy answer.

Do 30 FPS make for better gameplay? Of course not, 60 is always preferable.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I really can't stand 30fps anymore. I'm happy there seems to be more 60fps games these days. Hopefully it's phased out more next-gen.

And more cinematic? I get what people mean, but it's so juddery to me when gameplay is running at that framerate.

Mar 5, 2019
A question for people who don't think 30fps is more cinematic:

Why aren't the Toy Story films delivered at 60 FPS?

Pixar have all the frames and the server farms and money to deliver it, why didn't they choose 60?

Why would they need a server farm to make a 60 fps movie? Was Pixar rendering their films in theaters world wide since the 90s?

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
ip96Kxg.jpg

Seriously though, games aren't movies.

They don't have the timeframe movies had nor the same technology that film had in regards to motion blur, film grain, etc. When people say a movie looks "Cinematic" it's a combination of things that have been ingrained into their psyche throughout their lifetime of watching older movies and the usual 24fps.

Games on the other hand have had plenty of 60fps releases and those at 30 fps didn't have the technology behind them, like movies, to really cover that aspect up.

Status
Not open for further replies.