• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

If Xbox Live goes free, would you be more likely to jump into the Xbox ecosystem next-gen?

• I wasn't planning on getting an Xbox or Game Pass sub next-gen, and this would not change my mind

Votes: 97 25.8%
  • I wasn't planning on getting an Xbox or Game Pass sub next-gen, but this would make me do so

Votes: 54 14.4%
  • I was already planning on getting an Xbox or Game Pass sub next-gen, so this changes nothing.

Votes: 225 59.8%

• Total voters

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like Microsoft removed the Xbox Live Gold yearly sub option from their site, could it be that they're gearing up to do something with the service at the showcase?

MHuthou.png

1 month and 3 months subs still exist, and you can still buy yearly cards... but with next-gen looming, I do have to wonder if they're not gearing up to convert everybody with active subs to game pass, and putting emphasis on that service instead. Perhaps online MP will become free?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Probably merging Gamepass and Gold. Pretty sure you will still need a service to play online on Xbox.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Thing is, I can somehow see Microsoft doing that, as they are getting tons of money from GamePass, but would Sony follow suit? I don't think PS Now is that big of a moneymaker, but they would (rightfully so) get crucified if they still kept charging money for playing online.

Seriously though, this would be a huge, huge fucking megaton for Xbox.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
My Gold membership is due to renew mid August. I bet I get to pay the £50 and then it's free the very next day....lol.

Oct 28, 2017
Tell you what if MS do get rid of the online paywall it will he HUGE. A real mic drop moment and I would probably get the Series X day 1 just to show my support for the decision.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Dropping xbox live pay wall would be monumental!

Please do it. I have two kids and I'm not paying for an extra subscription so one can play roblox online. Let me have a family gamepass ultimate subscription and you have my money.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
what ? I rather prefer being gold with 4 games a month and having Gamepass in puntual moments a year... will I keep my xbox one xbox games with gold games? I do not play online, just pay for 4 games a month...

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't think MS is getting rid of online MP, since you can still buy the 1 month and 3 month subs. Maybe folding the 1 year into Game Pass/xCloud sub?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Can't see this happening but anything is possible at this stage I guess.

Would be a complete role reversal of last gen if online play really does become free on Xbox and is chargeable on PS5. Or perhaps Sony would quickly follow suit.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
The ultimate goal is XGPU.

Even in job description they said they want to push consumer to the XGPU.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People in here acting like Microsoft would be the messiah if they finally dropped their Xbox Live subscription since release which should have been free all the time. Whole reason we even have subscriptions on consoles.

Oct 25, 2017
If Xbox is getting rid of paid online, I'm gonna be buying an Xbox Series X some time during this gen.

I was planning on staying PC only and using Nvidia Shield streaming to get my games on the TV, but I will be happy to buy a console to play multiplayer games with a controller if there's no extra $60/year fee attached.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt they're outright dropping the online pay wall. They're probably rolling it into something else like xcloud or gamepass.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Most likely outcome is that Gold will be folded into GamePass and the paywall will stay in the form of GamePass sub.

Oct 28, 2017
I've said it before but it's a legit possibility this will happen. The positive attention this would get for Xbox would be huge and something they may even need. With Gamepass obviously being the sub they're pushing going forward it makes sense to phase Gold out anyway.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems very, very unlikely but will be huge if true.

They are the ones that started this shit so it would be epic if they ended it too lol.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
You really think they're gonna make it free? And say goodbye to that income? Not happening.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I've said it before but it's a legit possibility this will happen. The positive attention this would get for Xbox would be huge and something they may even need. With Gamepass obviously being the sub they're pushing going forward it makes sense to phase Gold out anyway.

If that happens Sony and Nintendo will look stupid. Maybe it will force Sony to have Now with Plus for the same price.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I could see them dropping the online multiplayer requirement. Make the merged Gold/Gamepass the default and that's a way more appealing package to advertise compared to the competition.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
My prediction / wish regarding this sub :
- drop the online paywall
- get one of the Xbox Game Pass game "for ever" (as a replacement for Xbox Live Gold games)
- turn the Xbox Live Gold subscription into a streaming subscription (pay $4/month to play Xbox wherever you want or included as part of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate)

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
But after that do they drop the price of Gamepass Ultimate or just pretend nothing changed and sip their tea quietly?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If they got rid of online pay does that mean we would only need to sub to gamepass instead of gamepass ultimate?

Oct 28, 2017
Thing is on the PlayStation side of it, a year of PS Now is I believe cheaper than a year of PS Plus. If MS come out with a yearly sub at the same price for Gamepass, they can get rid of Gold completely and have an online paywall just in Gamepass instead.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is, I can somehow see Microsoft doing that, as they are getting tons of money from GamePass, but would Sony follow suit? I don't think PS Now is that big of a moneymaker, but they would (rightfully so) get crucified if they still kept charging money for playing online.

Seriously though, this would be a huge, huge fucking megaton for Xbox.
Sony has 40 million PS Plus subscribers. There's no way they'd make online free without a fight.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't that be absolutely terrible for everyone? I doubt they would do something so stupid. Raising prices on a paywall like that?

It would but you also would get more subs to GamePass. I wonder how many people have Gold but not GamePass. Last number for GamePass was around 10M which is low when compared to 41M for PS Plus. This got me thinking that there must be a lot of Gold only user and if not then Sub numbers from MS aren't that good.

Oct 28, 2017
If that happens Sony and Nintendo will look stupid. Maybe it will force Sony to have Now with Plus for the same price.
Sony already does have online play access for any game in the PS Now sub without having to get Plus. I've said for a long time Sony should expand that to have online play access for everything outside the sub too.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
If I remember correctly PC game pass never had an option for yearly. It was always monthly only so maybe they're just going that route here too?