• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Op you need to just embrace the lunacy of a review thread and use it for sheer entertainment. Once you let go of your "personal stake" in how any game performs review wise you will be in a position to enjoy what an amazing thread the DS review one has become

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Game is sitting at an 86 on OpenCritic and people wanna act like it's the next ET. Ridiculous.
I think a lot of the gameplay footage is very unflattering used in reviews, looks very boring and the long cutscenes sound very unappealing. I think I was more patient with MGS4 because it was like a finale with established characters, but even then the ending would bore me to tears. I also saw passive aggressive comments, like you need to have an open mind for art to appreciate DS, but really it's ok if you like the look of it or you don't. Opinions are like arseholes etcetera.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
OP in a week

tenor.gif

Bruh OP is not Capcom.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you just need to not take it too seriously. it's just different people's reaction to the reviews, there's no reason to get worked up over it.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
you just need to not take it too seriously. it's just different people's reaction to the reviews, there's no reason to get worked up over it.
Yeah I'm too old to get worked up about games, but when I see some passive aggressive comments along these lines "some reviewers only like Call of Duty and can't appreciate anything different" I'm like, what? Lol being a dick.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
OP did it really take you this long to realize that gaming community has always been trash?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Have you considered you feel personally attacked and that's why you responded how you did to a strangers statement about how they do and don't engage with a website? If you love this site and the content is on point with your desires then I'm hype for you but there's a lot of us dissatisfied with the constant fanboying, free marketing campaigns, and "is this the best ever genre defining GOAT ever of all time" content that half the threads here are.

Im not trying to piss and moan about era. I was relating to another poster so they know they're not alone in being frustrated and then said how I handle it.

Go do something that will help you not be personally offended by someone not enjoying what you enjoy, which exemplifies the issues I was talking about in the first place.
Am I not allowed to react to people being silly by laughing at them?

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Secondly, if a game does not get 90% on Metacritic is basically straight up garbage to some people yet they haven't played the game.

I read you post OP and to a certain extent agree. The only point of contention I have with yor post is your needing to leave. I believe, strongly, that this is based on entirely the wrong opinions. You see, what you're having trouble with isn't gamers. It's the hardcore enthusiast who believe there opinion carries more weight than others when in truth, is a segmented fraction of a fraction, of a microcosm.

In reality, the overwhelming majority of gamers wouldn't know what "Meta" is without a google search. I have casual gamers in my family who don't care about what a CEO's latest PR tweet is or even who they are.

Yup some of the comments in any of the Death Stranding threads border on lunacy... But you have to view those with a dose of reality. I mean, compare those comments with what actual Death Stranding hype looks like here in London.

vgcd5l2z69w31.jpg

Please don't be disheartened or confused.

"Some" (in quotes to emphasize the word "Some") people on enthusiast forums engage in desperate attempts to create gaming narratives that bear no reflection to reality. Predicated on what some CEO said or some obscure tweet or wanting "specific games" to fail. Hence the word "flop" without a single unit being sold at retail or digitally.

Take a break from the enthusiast conversation before you take a break from gaming. I believe the community is better off with you in the fold.

OP
OP
Slipknot666

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I'm not overreacting at all. I see this all the time on both sides. Some people care too much about the numbers/awards all the time and don't tell me that doesn't happen. Go read the first 10 pages of the Death Stranding review thread; is filled with people hoping for the game to score a certain number.

And like I say I don't plan to buy or play the game at all. I don't even have a PS4 or PC capable of running it but I tend to judge what games I like after playing it for myself.

Nowadays people are more invested in reading other people's opinions than actually playing games.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Someone make s YouTube video with Microsoft sam reading the most ridiculous posts in the death stranding review thread.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Those people likely were never interested in the first place.

Exactly, and I say this as someone who wasn't interested in Death Stranding. The smartest thing people need to do is stop putting some much faith in review scores and acting out when a game doesn't score how they feel it should. Find some reviewers you generally have similar taste with, know your own gaming taste, then read/watch reviews and see if what they say sells you on the game or not.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Man OP, you should have realized this as a kid. Since elementary we all knew that the gaming community has some annoying people in it. It only became more visible when the internet blew up.

I remember dudes online trashing Tekken 5: DR even. Shit was wild lol. I feel ya but yeah that's just how it is.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Aside the truly crazy Anne Frank stuff, there's hardly anything in the Death Stranding review thread we didn't see in the Gears 5 review thread, for example.

I'm not sure why it's being isolated as an issue for just this one game.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
...And some others delight in the bask of lower than expected/ hoped reviews.

It's a high profile AAA review thread. #shrug

Last edited:

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
but I tend to judge what games I like after playing it for myself

This makes no sense. How are people meant to make good purchasing decisions without things such as reviews? I can't afford and don't have the time to play every game ever made so how do I make decisions on what games to buy and play without reviews etc?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
People should read more individual reviews instead of just looking at one score.

Sure, the MC sounds disappointing, but then I'm looking at some of the 9-10/10 reviews and read why they gave that rating and I'm immediately hooked again.
People canceling whole pre orders because of a mc score can't be taken seriously anyway.

OP
OP
Slipknot666

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
This makes no sense. How are people meant to make good purchasing decisions without things such as reviews? I can't afford and don't have the time to play every game ever made so how do I make decisions on what games to buy and play without reviews etc?

I also can't afford to buy every game ever made but I don't let reviews decide for me.

Deleted member 54292

Banned
Feb 27, 2019
The gaming community is legit embarrassing at times. It's kinda annoying that I love gaming but I have disdain for the label "gamer" due to the baggage.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
As much as there are some incredible out-of-touch people in the politics side, same can be said for those in the game sales and review threads.

There's a lot of positivity and great insight in other threads. I'm thankful to resetera for those great threads.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Eh you're taking this way too seriously OP. I mainly view review threads as a source of entertainment now. Lord knows no meaningful discussion can come from them anymore.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Review threads are the best though! People can spin anything as positive or negative to suit their narrative. A bad review? That author is clearly unqualified, they don't understand the genius. This game is already my game of the generation -- despite me never having played it. A good review? They're clearly just biased or scared to give a bad number, there's going to be a backlash once people realize how bad the game is. Fanboys have their blinders on.

A bunch of people are going in with their minds made up on how good a game is/isn't. Add a bunch of platform warring and fanboyism and watching the drama that occurs is wonderful.
Not that moderation or efforts stamping out this behavior shouldn't be done, but stuff like this is my guilty pleasure and I love watching it play out.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Why are so many people obsessed with communities and what they think or do?
I couldn't give a fuck how toxic the Smash, Undertale, Pokémon, gaming, [insert literal every single community here] is. Just ignore them and play videogames.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I also can't afford to buy every game ever made but I don't let reviews decide for me.

Reviews help to make informed purchasing decisions, I never said that it "decides for me". It's the same for anything I buy, gaming or otherwise. A description of a game is never enough to make that decision imo, especially when it's a new IP.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
You wouldn't be missing much, OP. Places like ERA are great as news aggregates but actual discussion is mostly poor outside of a few OTs and community threads.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
The funniest part about that discussion is that I actually celebrate Death Stranding not getting even higher review scores, because it shows its divisive. And divisiveness in this case is actually an indicator for innovation and interesting concepts that some people stumble over. There still would be a debate, but I feel a game that gets 84 across the board or 10/10s and 3/10s is an entirely different beast.

So looking forward to it.

Dec 2, 2017
Remember that wall of posts from the old place someone made about people complaining about the uncharted 3 review score and not a single person had yet played the game.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
People reacting to overreaction with... overreaction... is a mood.

Not a good one.

But a mood.

If review scores don't matter to you, don't go into threads and places on the internet where people care emphatically about those things. I really couldn't care less if Death Standing was a 2 or an 8; I'd still find out for myself and I honestly don't care if I'm the only person to play it.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Nowadays people are more invested in reading other people's opinions than actually playing games.

But this has always been the case...and because of the visibility of social media, one could even say that opinions about reviews are much better now than what they used to be.

People have always been passionate about reviews, whether they are happy or unhappy with the Metacritic scores. Nothing here has touched the GameCube IGN 7.9 review of Mario Kart Double Dash. You would have thought the world was ending!

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Best of luck OP.

I agree, gamers have a fuckton of maturing to do on that front. BoTW is amazing btw, glad you liked it.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
THAT'S what you gets you to pack up and leave?
Of all the TERRIBLE things that gamers do it is a couple of hyperbolic opinions about a video game that get you riled up?

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's cool, but there are certain reviews whose tastes I am well aware align with my own and I trust their judgment. If I was on the fence with a game (as I was with Death Stranding), I'm more than happy to let that person's experiences possibly save me sixty dollars.

Stop trying to seem like you're "above" using critics and reviewers. They have a useful place in most people's lives and let us spend our dollars and time most effectively with regard to entertainment.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
Review scores are not going to influence me. I wouldn't get it if it was GOTD. I don't like Kojima games and it's more that I can do to look at Norman Reedus for five minutes, let alone 40 hours. That said, this post seems like high drama. Disregard what others do and think, OP. Buy the game, play it, enjoy it. Simple.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like I've been missing out on some drama. Honestly, who cares if people are acting stupid over a Metacritic average? Want to cancel your preorder? Go for it! Era is a bubble that doesn't reflect the overall gaming community at all.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Gaming community is fine if you actively choose how you interact with them. Don't go into threads around MTX or buggy games. Don't go into review threads on exclusive games. Don't go into console reveal threads. My favorite use of forums like these is to hype myself up for a certain event like e3 or game awards or gamescom

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This reaction is no less embarrassing

You can just not care about people overreacting to things and still engage with the community