• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hasn't bothered me at all in my 33+ hours so far.

Granted, I've never been one to actively pay attention to soundtracks in games, movies or show. Just not that into music period.

LapinAgile

Oct 29, 2017
It's completely put me off the game. I may turn it off and try to finish without it. First game where the music was so grating to me.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I was gonna walk in and say that it's not THAT bad but then I remembered that I refunded it the first time I got it on steam and only picked it up again after the music mod. But honestly my favourite feature on switch is having the DQ8 overworld song
I've never played 8 but it's a significant improvement.

Also, the composer is an absolute asshole IRL so I wish he drops out of the series ASAP. Didn't his son do the OST for FF12? He's way better than his father.

Oct 25, 2017
So I was gonna walk in and say that it's not THAT bad but then I remembered that I refunded it the first time I got it on steam and only picked it up again after the music mod. But honestly my favourite feature on switch is having the DQ8 overworld song

Also, the composer is an absolute asshole IRL so I wish he drops out of the series ASAP. Didn't his son do the OST for FF12? He's way better than his father.

No? Where did you hear that?
We don't really know anything about his family.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

The only way that man will leave is if square pushes him out or he dies.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 2699

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The option in the switch version to change the overworld theme to VIII's is a god send. It's clear that Sugiyama doesn't have it anymore. Dude needs to retire, and just license the music to Square. Though considering how long the gaps are between numbered Dragon Quest games he'll probably be dead before we get XII. I will be curious to see how his estate handles things in the future. Will they as big of assholes as he is, or will they be more willing to play ball?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The option in the switch version to change the overworld theme to VIII's is a god send. It's clear that Sugiyama doesn't have it anymore. Dude needs to retire, and just license the music to Square. Though considering how long the gaps are between numbered Dragon Quest games he'll probably be dead before we get XII. I will be curious to see how his estate handles things in the future. Will they as big of assholes as he is, or will they be more willing to play ball.

My optimistic prediction is that they'll only go to his estate for a few songs (mainstays like the overture, the level-up jingle, and the inn jingle) while the rest of the soundtrack will be done by a protege or someone else younger and with a better idea of how to handle things.
But we'll see what happens. Dragon Quest XII is still years away.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I've never heard the Evergrace soundtrack until today. I think I like it more than the new XI tracks, by quite a bit.

Oct 25, 2017
The only song I can't stand is the damn over-world theme, but you can change it to the DQ8 one on Switch, which is FANTASTIC.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This song is not that horrible but it plays so many times during the first half of the game that made me hate it with passion, every time I entered a town and heard it I was on the edge to drop the game entirely:

It makes me so sad knowing that it's possible some people may have put the game off altogether because of stuff like this. I agree that I actually like this track (much better symphonic though), but by the time I heard it on like the 5th or so major city I visited (Octagonia in particular, especially considering it's such a different city than previous ones) it was a real "wow...really?" moment.

The tracks that aren't bad get beat into submission and become bad over time. And it makes the entire product just seem kind of cheaper as a result too. It does get better in the 2nd act onward with this stuff, but it's a bummer for early impressions.

Last edited:

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
old people = inherently bad is the vibe I'm getting from this thread.

may or may not be true in this case as the composer sounds like a shitty person, but he'd still be just as shitty doing this music and those beliefs at 30

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
old people = inherently bad is the vibe I'm getting from this thread.

may or may not be true in this case as the composer sounds like a shitty person, but he'd still be just as shitty doing this music and those beliefs at 30
I mean, you're not really reading this thread then because the same posts that are bashing his current work tend to be praising his past work. Sugiyama has been the composer for the series from the beginning.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The symphonic versions of all the songs are 10 times better, but my god there are so few songs, the entire overworld has the exact same theme and from my experience with the game so far there are like 5 music tracks overall.

It's really, really grating. Can't believe that homophobic piece of trash gets so much money for this lazy offering

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That boss track isn't necessarily bad - it's just really annoying to listen to.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
The boss theme in the OP reminds me of the whimsical music that plays in The Princess Bride during swordfights and whatnot, except way worse lmao

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
Music is whatever, not memorable, but the battle music in Tinkerton is unbearable, like one of those rare moments I have to mute the game to play

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty bad, but it didn't impede my enjoyment one bit. After a while I didn't really notice it anymore.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
But too many of the comments I see bypass that whole thing completely and attack "the arrangement" or the actual composition or something more endemic to the music, like... I dunno man, I'm not a professional composer, but that seems like a pretty wild thing for an armchair listener to do.
Nothing wild about it.
I could pick a name out of a hat and end up with a better JRPG composer than Sugiyama.
That shit he's peddling in DQXI is straight-up inept.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving DQXIS but even without the MIDI, I'm not a big fan of the music. It's at least not grating on the ears anymore but it feels like there's hardly any tracks and it's just kind of boring.

Nov 1, 2017
I don't know what's a new track and what's a returning track so for all I know I only enjoyed older works. The battle theme was okay but the overworld theme definitely didn't click with me. Complaints about the lack of orchestrated tracks is really overblown though, I understand why people want them but they don't add significant value.

Oct 25, 2017
First I'm hearing it..

Nzrik.gif

Mr. X's original theme was

BZKOuB.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played through 2/3rds of DQ V (I got married but I got beat up by some cyclops) for the DS back in the day but other than that this is my first Dragon Quest. I have the symphonic orchestra on and replaced the overworld theme with the one from DQ VIII. I'm either tolerating or enjoying the music. I have a good feeling the grand majority of the tracks I'm legitimately liking are reused songs from earlier Dragon Quests lmao. I do like the theme for Hotto, which I just learned is an OG composition for this game!

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm generally unimpressed barring some standout tracks - I think IV and V were when he started having solid stuff. Most of the soundtracks that I think are his best aren't from Dragon Quest, maybe not even from video games:

Wow yes, the music you linked is awesome and would fit in a DQ game. It feels great to hear it especially the first one. They seem great for exploring and fights like some of the Final Fantasy XI or XIV music, they seem to experiment a lot with the online games. Which reminds me DQX was a online game too and I wonder how the music was for that.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
MIDI being used isn't nearly as much of the issue as it is that these compositions are lazy and the samples are bad samples.

Plenty of video game composers these days use MIDI to great effect, its just that they use pretty advanced samples.

Nov 11, 2017
My main issue with it isn't even the quality of the music, the orchestrated soundtrack on the Switch has some genuinely pleasant moments (Despite how repetitive that battle music gets.) The thing I hate about it is just the lack of variety. Every overworld has the same theme, every town, etc. Makes the whole experience seem more homogenous than it really is.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Advocating piracy
That's the main reason why I dropped the game 25 hours in and holding out hope for the S enhancements to become available on the PS4 version. I'm absolutely not double dipping for that, so if we don't get better music then I may never finish the game.
You own a ps4 copy of the game. Just Start over on PC (download a cracked one) and mod in orchestral ost. It doesn't take very long to reach where you stopped since you know where to go and can skip cutscene.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Not only is it bad but there's barely any variety. It's a 60+ hour long game and you're listening to the same 3 or so songs for almost the entire playtime.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The second act of the game has some fairly dark and impactful scenes and the OST fucking ruins it.

The overworld theme can die in a fire too, I expected a different one once I traveled to another region but nope. Still the same piece of trash. The OST is shit.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
It was night and day going from that to Witcher 3 on Switch. I was like "Oh right subdued and ambience inducing background music that fits the tone of the environment versus the same 5 songs." I love DQXI on Switch, I really do. I love playing it and love its world, but the music is bottom tier for sure. I haven't heard one song I'm a fan of in my 25 hours with the game thus far.

I don't think the overworld theme is shit like everyone else seems to though, I think it captures the adventure theme just fine.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also just listened to the orchestral version.
Doesn't sound as bad (what does compared to horrible MIDI?) but the composition is still a mess

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
The lack of unique town themes is pretty much a crime in modern RPGs, especially since each town is actually distinct and beautifully realized.