• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 24, 2019
I always order from the free delivery section of Uber Eats. And I'm ordering way more now it's winter here and I don't wanna leave the house.

edit: NZ markup doesn't sound as crazy as the US. The items seem more or less what you'd pay dining in.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This has been a great benefit they added. Usually once or twice a month.
I don't know, I'm starting to question the value of Eats Pass. I've been a member for months, but last night I compared some restaurants on Uber vs DoorDash (where I don't currently have a pass). Even with the Eats Pass, Uber was still more expensive by a dollar or more.

But tbh, the DoorDash app is bit shit, so I still lean towards ordering through Uber instead. I mainly only use DoorDash for restaurants that aren't on Uber.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah I just call ahead or online for pickup.

Like we had Indian food the other night from a local place. You can order on your website and I just drove to pick it up to bring home.

Not that I won't ever do it. But it's rare cause as the OP says it's an expensive add on. I'm also not gonna order and just not tip cause it's expensive. If I'm gonna do it I'll tip like 20-25 percent. So yeah it's only in situations where we didn't have time to cook or go out to grab something.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I just ordered a pizza right now for delivery to my hotel. :) I'm lazy and don't mind paying extra for delivery. Either way you are paying either with money or gas.

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
More than I'd like, but it's hard to resist. I get free Dashpass with my Sapphire card, so I'm usually just paying a tip for delivery (and whatever sneaky upcharge the restaurant is doing on their delivery pricing above their normal menu price).
It's DoorDash doing the sneaky upcharge. My gas station does Door Dash and they add at least 10% to our prices.

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Me and my sister order McDonald's once every couple weeks, it's become our quarantine tradition.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'm willing to pay a premium to not have to interact with other human beings, so I still order delivery 3-4 times a month.

The weird thing is I comparatively refuse to pay shipping for non-food items and will generally only buy stuff if I'm buying enough to get free shipping. Meanwhile paying $10+ in fees and tips for fast food doesn't bother me.

SmackDaddy

Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Food quality hits the shitter when delivered. Low-paid employees don't care (don't blame them) and it sits in a car for up to an hour.

All carry out all the time. Plus I'm eating at restaurants again. DIM SUM tonight baby!

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Pizza and wings are the only thing that is both good around here and stands up to delivery.

Fast food delivery is something that shocks me; that shit isn't good unless it is completely fresh, it ain't standing up to no delivery. Yet some of my friends are high enough/lazy enough to swear by it.

The best Thai and Chinese food around is just out of range, but I've got the equipment to keep it hot in my car with multiple insulated bags and devices, so I pick that up. The best Indian around is sit down only, and all the best Mexican/BBQ/Sandwiches around are food trucks, so I gotta go to them.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As a Doordash driver, I thank each and everyone of you who order and tip well. None of those BS Doordash fees go to us.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. ONLY when I get those cool discounts that offset the cost of fees. $20 or 20% off is money I pay the driver. Then it's like I'm picking up the food without going. Keep sending me discounts and I'll keep helping out the delivery folks.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I ordered in pizza about a month ago, but have never ordered anything via UberEats or DoorDash or any of those services. No reason to pay that much more if I can just drive and pick it up myself. Seems like a waste of money to me.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, only do takeout and I always pick it up. We only eat out at like 5 places and they're all within a few miles of us so I just spend 15 minutes picking it up, the few times we've used door dash because we had a gift card I couldn't believe how much the fees and delivery cost.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only thing we order delivery for is pizza.

I think that is about 50/50 on delivery and pickup.

When I lived in NYC in the 90s early 2000s I used to order anything and everything. The scope of what is available for order and close by in NYC is pretty amazing. I live in the burbs now and I have a car so its not hard to pick it up myself. I also prefer eating out (pre COVID) to getting it delivered at home.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
Nah it's too expensive. Pretty much special occasion only. But I cannot deny the convenience.

I just go pick up if I want take out.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
I don't even want to think about how much money I've spent on delivery fees over the past 15 months or so...

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
If I'm putting in overtime, my employer foots the bill entirely - both the food, delivery and whatever other fees they tack on. And as it turns out, I do a lot of overtime, so it's a pretty nice perk.

But outside of that, I'll periodically order delivery from a local pizza place I like - directly, not through some third-party delivery app.

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
Heck yeah, its convenient and the expense seems worth the luxury. Always gotta pre heat the toaster oven or air fryer to get that temperature back to the freshest tho.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've gotten delivery maybe five or six times in my life.
I'm even less likely to do it now that these apps take a huge cut from restaurants.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its not like I dont have the money but something about paying $20 for a $8 dollar thing bugs me smh it just kills my mood and makes me want to willingly go hungry
It's just $10 difference, I just pay instead of waiting in line and driving to pick it up, that's how I get my groceries delivered, best invention ever

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
I get to save gas, wear on my car, and possible exposure to COVID while tipping more than the default amounts because I feel bad for gig delivery drivers. Seems good to me.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I'm too cheap to pay for delivery, unless I'm in a group setting and we all just split it or whatever.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Never ordered and delivered - I dont want to pay for tips.

I always went to the place and order it from within.

Nowadays - I use curbside pick up as the only option for all orders - I dont bother going in or going through the drive thru.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Almost never now that I can just go and pick it up myself. I like going someplace for food. I don't gain anything staying at home more.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
My state has a 35% vaccination rate and no one is wearing masks.

So. Yes.
Geoceries delivered as well.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I don't trust the delivery driver to not help themselves to the food before delivering.

Heard some stories.