• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
I hated this when it came out. Middle school was just hearing this movie quoted hourly. I think this movie made people obsessed with tater tots. I think watching it today, it's a time capsule and worth a watch. Is it funny? Not to me, feels too insincere and the comedy isn't too bizarre to get a surprise chuckle for me.
The director had another movie about an author who steals a science fiction book idea from the protagonist, that was pretty bad.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Movie is a comedy masterpiece. I love it.

someone brought up Garden State here, that movie truly sucks.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
One of my most watched movies of all time. It's hilarious.

"Grab my arm. The other arm. My other arm."

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
There was really nothing quite like this before, and no way to know what you were getting into when you saw it for the first time. When you took a friend to see it, you couldn't tell them what it was like, you just had to say "trust me."

If it didn't gel with you, it was a total dud. But if it did, then it was something you couldn't stop talking about.

So many one-liners with such great and utterly unique delivery, it was like it was made to be quoted nonstop.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
NapoleonDynamitePoster.jpg

Fuck me its been 16 years since the film came out. I was in middle school when I first rented it to see what all the hype was about. Ended up laughing my ass off. The bizarreness of it along with a laugh line like every minute. I did hear the animated series was terrible. The original film was made for under half a million and grossed almost $50 million.

I kinda cringed when I rewatched the trailer. It was only 90 seconds long and it was rough sit. I see all of the obnoxious shit I hate in quirky indie comedies right here in this trailer.

What does ERA think of Napoleon Dynamite?

It didn't hold up when it came out in 2004, let alone in 2020.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
The art style inspired more than decade of "indie" shorthand graphic design

Movie's all right and and all, but that's the real crime of the century right there.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Did not care for it at all.

The whole time I was watching it I felt like I wanted to be anywhere else.

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't like it too much when it came out, but I swear every time I watch it, I find more and more of it funnier and funnier. Several of my friends feel the same way about it. I don't know if that's because the constant references at school ruined my view of the movie at the time of release, or because it takes more than one viewing to really sink into the strange delivery of some jokes and general cringe humor. All I know is that somehow, it's managed to become one of my favorite comedies over the years.

I'd say it holds up very well, more than most comedies in fact.

MasterCheeze

Oct 29, 2017
This and Nacho Libre are my two ultimate feel good movies. Plus the atmosphere hits home with the small town Midwestern vibe.

Feb 1, 2018
very seminal film that so many comedies these days reference or are derivitive from in some way. id go even farther to say that, in general, it helped paved the way for the sarcastic/ironic tone thats prevalent in so much media and memes nowadays

also everybody in my high school had a "vote for pedro" shirt

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
A bunch of kids in my class convinced our teacher to play this for us in middle school and I hated it. But I feel like I might like it at least a bit better now cause I've grown to like this kinda weird shit.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, it absolutely holds up.

The opening credits with the White Stripes "We're Going to be Friends" is one of my favorite openings ever in film.

I watched it with my daughters a few years ago when they were 9 & 10yrs old and they fucking loved it. They still quote it. I couldn't believe it. They were so happy when Kip got on the bus at the end with LaFonda!

There must have been a weird resurgence thanks to parents showing it to their kids because seemingly out of nowhere last Halloween I saw 3 or 4 random kids dressed up as characters from the movie. A friend of my oldest daughter dressed as Deb in a super accurate costume. Her mother told me that her daughter insisted. Her mom didn't think anyone would get the obscure character reference but was shocked that other parents and even classmates immediately recognized her costume. I mean, she looked *just* like her lol.

I think the time travel machine from ebay is one of my favorite, less talked about parts of the movie.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Only saw it once when it was new, didnt find it that humorous. Maybe a second chance is in order now that I am way older and have different tastes

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
I watched this in the cinema the day it came out. Talking about the film is a better experience than watching it.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Never got why it became a cultural phenomenom for the MTV generation but I really like it. I rewatched it last year and the uncle is still a fantastic character.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If you didn't see it at the time I could understand why it wouldn't hit for you now, because it helped inspire a lot of shitty indie movies that tried to copy the same aesthetic or comedy style and failed.

It didn't create the style, but it was part of popularizing it and now the style is just overused and mostly not done well.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man was this movie everywhere. I remember vote for Pedro stickers everywhere.

I cried laughing when I first saw it. I can't think of a movie that was more in tune with my humor as a kid than this.
god damn i will never watch this movie again because it absolutely will not be as funny to me as it was to 13 year old me.
I know how you feel. Everyone says it's even funnier going back to it, so I'm gonna check it out again.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
watched it in high school and never got the hype. Maybe I should rewatch it one of these days

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
youre just jealous that ive been online chatting with hot babes all. day.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
I really enjoyed it back then, and I'm in Europe. I'm pretty sure I'd still like it todat, I should rewatch some day