• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I got a patio now with a small patch of dirt and some plants and I'm thinking about getting a compost bin going for leaves and other plant remnants. Probably shouldn't go all the way and compost my food leftovers but I don't want to stink up my apartment complex.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I've been doing it for the last 6 months, but It's currently attracting a lot of gnats. I'm afraid of how this will be when heat will come within 2 months.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Slowly but surely, brother.
Can't wait to be nothing but cool, cool earth.

That aside, my parents got a compost bin in the garden. Pretty neat stuff, but I'm not a fan of the stuff crawling around in there.
I personally wouldn't do it in my apartment, seems more like a garden/yard thing.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Ya my parents did it my entire childhood and teenage years. They still do and have a massive compost mound in the backyard for their gardens.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. What they do around this area is to give each house a tiny trashcan and huge compost and recycle bin, so if you don't do either, you'll probably fill up the trashcan will before garbage day.

And if that's not enough, you can get extra compost and recycle bins for free, but increasing the trashcan size costs a lot.

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
I made it one of my new years resolutions. I have a smaller container for food waste that I take out towards the apartment compost bin every once in a while, and it seems to be working well so far.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
I should as soon as I'm dead, I hope... unless I completely become synthetic.

I live in an apartment, not much room or space for a garden. I'll check with the apartments offices if they have a community compost pile, but I don't think so, they don't even have a recycling service here. My folks thankfully on our ten acres in South Dakota compost a LOOOT to make up for it.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Food leftovers: vegetable scraps, coffee grounds and egg shells won't smell, you cansafely compost those alongside the leaves, and it'll greatly improve the quality of your compost. Just avoid animal leftovers besides eggshells.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Three big composters on the deck and a big rolled up area of fencing to break down leaves. Love it and it's always a treat to roll out the trash can at the end of the week and it's practically empty.

scurker

Oct 25, 2017
I built a compost early last year for our newly created garden:

3 compost bins with cedar with front slats for keeping compost in

We finished it with mesh wire to keep the compost in, but still allowing for airing of the compost, and the front slats can be moved as you fill/empty the compost out. We basically used cedar fencing and cut it to size. Obviously you don't have to go this complex if you need something smaller. But we've noticed we have a lot less trash going out now that most of our kitchen scraps / yard waste end up back in the compost.

You might could also check to see if any of your local municipalities do composting. We found out that one of the cities nears us composts all the leaves they collect and is free to residents, or a minimal cost if you're a non resident.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In German cities we have seperate trashcans for bio waste that go to a compost facility (producing fertilizer etc.). My parents did it for their whole life in our garden but I don't have any such space next to my city apartment. I did get the impression recently that some people in the US actually do composting in their apartments? How do you manage the smell and gases?

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really lucky in that my apartment building has a community run compost bin in the courtyard.

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
Compost via the City program. We didn't at first, but we were kind of forced as garbage only gets picked-up 2x Month and max 4 bags.

After a couple of hot summer weeks with old rotting garbage sitting in the garage, we said "never again".

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I desperately wish I could. The town I live in has a couple curb-side pickup services, but my building doesn't allow it because of pest concerns due to people not knowing how to recycle properly.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, we've been looking at a bigger bin. The one we have is a small one designed for apartment balconies and since we moved to a house it fills up fast. Apparently our council subsidises composters so we might end up with something larger.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
We've been composting for around two years now, just kitchen stuff though. We're in a condo building so there isn't a whole lot of yard.

Last edited:

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, we have a garden with several raised beds. Apartment though? That's gonna be tough because even leaves will stink when decomposing. From experience the stinkiest food to compost was orange scraps. Smells real bad man.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Food leftovers: vegetable scraps, coffee grounds and egg shells won't smell, you cansafely compost those alongside the leaves, and it'll greatly improve the quality of your compost. Just avoid animal leftovers besides eggshells.

Yep, this. I rinse the egg shells first though.

Otherwise, veggie & fruit scraps and coffee grounds go straight into the dirt, about three inches at least. I bury them in a hole, pile on three to four inches of dirt covering, and put a flat, large rock over it. No problem with animals digging up anything yet. The worms in my backyard take care of everything within two to three weeks, as long as I make sure the area is sufficiently watered.

(We have a relatively large yard and so far, no smell.)

If it's just leaves (like salad leaves), I'll bury it without doing anything else. Otherwise, if it's lots of scraps, I'll mix in dirt before I bury all of it.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I have one, all non meat items go in, tea bags, banana peels, apple cores etc.

It is literally walking when I open it and I am having trouble keeping it full.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Built this bad boy from reclaimed wood last year.
All our uncooked food scraps go in there. Vegetable peels, coffe grinds and such. Some yard waste like leaves and grass but not much.

dPc28VY.png

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, and I never will. Had some neighbors who did it when I was younger and the smell was unbearable. I can't believe people do that willingly.

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
Composting is great! It's like magic. We've gotten some great mulch out of it. We have a backyard though. There are some indoor mulch systems that might work in an apartment setting. If it's working properly then it shouldn't even smell much.

Oct 26, 2017
My house came with a compost bin. I've been putting my rabbit's droppings in it. I used to give off heat but now it doesn't. I hope I didn't kill off the bacteria...

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I have a compost heap, but it's about 98% grass clippings and 2% kitchen scraps. More of a clippings pile than a compost heap, really.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Heaps are kinda risky with Texas heat.

We finally got a city compost bin which can take a wider range of materials than a residential one can.