• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
Talk about an underrated character.

tumblr_pa6yy1CPNK1s6ub5do4_500.gif

Hypothesis:
Most people finishing Claire's story in RE2 are already big fans of the series and love her already/have a preconceived idea of who Claire is. Newcomers don't seem interested in her story.

A week after RE2's launch, we have a lot of data to crunch through. And being a data freak; I invite you to let me take you through a journey of statistics. So get your detective hats on, 'cause this one is 'bout to wear her Nancy Drew goggles.

giphy.gif

RE.NET

RE.Net is a global service that takes player data from users playing Resident Evil games, regardless of system. It's important to note that not all players link their data, but the sample is big enough to deem accurate or closely resembling reality.
[Disclaimer: All numbers are according to what's been reported as of the creation of this thread]

CURRENT SAMPLE SIZE:
4,326,468 players

OP EDIT:
Thank you a lot for all the kind words, but since a lot are commenting on the first-choice thing; I kind of want to focus that this is not simply about "who chose who first", if so I would have left the OP at the first paragraph.

The point of this is the fact that seemingly casual players / newcomers literally don't seem interested in Claire's story period.

First off: First-Choice
Did you choose Leon or Claire first? Well...

unknown.png

79% of players chose Leon first and 21% chose Claire first.

Counterargument: Leon's story is presented in the menu first!

I can prove this differently later, but for now I'll humor it: sure, but this is nearly a SIXTY percent difference. That is a humongous gap, especially given the obvious choice prompt the game gives you anyways. Here's what's interesting though, only 35% of players of those who chose Leon first finished his story, while only 37.44% of the people who chose Claire first finished her story.
So basically: a HUGE gap in first-choice rate, but a very similar clear rate.

Hmm, can we see how many people of that sample size completed each story regardless of first/second choice?
Yes, here you go!

unknown.png

79% chose Leon first, and 38.4% finished his story overall (regardless of choice order)
21% chose Claire first, and 23% finished her story overall (regardless of choice order)

Taking this with the conclusion from above, what does this translate to? Let me break it down:

14.15% of players finished Claire's story as their first choice (whom were 21% of players).
This means 6.85% of players chose Claire first and didn't finish her story for whatever reason.
But overall, 23% of players finished her story in general regardless of choice order.
This means only 8.85% of players finished her story after completing Leon's as their first choice.
[This is where the "but Leon's story is presented first!" claim to justify the low numbers for Claire becomes invalidated, as that's less than half of the people who even finished Leon's story to begin with]

21.74% of players finished Leon's story as their first choice (whom were 79% of players).
This means 57.26% of players chose Leon first and didn't finish his story for whatever reason.
But overall, 38.4% of players finished his story in general regardless of choice order.
This means that 16.6% of players finished his story after completing Claire's as their first choice....

...but wait a minute! That 16.6% number makes no sense! You're right, it doesn't -- 14.15% of players finished Claire's story as first-choice, so even we assume ALL of those players hopped onto Leon's story next and finished his story, there's still a mysterious 2.45%. Where is that coming from? A calculation error on CAPCOM's part? Maybe, but not likely: people might have simply chosen Claire as their first playthrough, but quit at some point for whatever reason (i.e. didn't complete her story) and switched over to Leon's and finished his story instead.

CAPCOM Calculation Error or Is the Theory In-tact?

To ensure this is not a calculation error and that my theory is in-place for now, let's take a look at the True Ending stats. If the absolute value between people who finished Leon and Claire's stories matches the True Ending achievement rate, then we can safely assume there are no calculation errors and that my theory of people quitting Claire's story could be true.

If we subtract Leon's completion rate from Claire's completion rate, we'd get ~15.3%. The True Ending achievement needs to be really close to this number or this could be indeed a calculation error...

unknown.png

..Ah! This is good news as it means the numbers aren't deceiving us. So we can safely assume that ~2.45% of players did indeed start Claire's playthrough first but quit at some point then started and finished Leon's instead.

Alright so, ~65% of players who chose either story first haven't even finished that story yet. At least how far did those people go anyways?
Well, the only way to gauge this is through the unique story progression achievements, and we can't say if they were done through a first or second choice run. There is only one unique story progression achievement per each story. Enter: Ada and Sherry.

In Leon's story, the playable characters are Leon & Ada. You play as the latter halfway through the game in a unique section to Leon's story.
In Claire's story, the playable characters are Claire & Sherry, and the pattern is the same as above.

unknown.png

45.9% of players in general completed Ada's section, aka reached the midpoint of Leon's story.
(remember 38.4% of all players finished his story overall; 21.74% finished Leon's story as their first choice)
So that means 7.5% of players reached Leon's halfway point and finished Ada's section, but never went through until the end.

27.3% of players in general completed Sherry's section, aka reached the midpoint of Claire's story.
(remember 23% of all players finished her story overall; 14.15% finished Claire's story as their first choice)
So that means 4.3% of players reached Claire's halfway point and reached Claire's halfway point, but never went through until the end.

The numbers go in-hand with how a big chunk of Leon's players are casual fans of the series, and the number for Claire does not contradict the percentage in my theory of people that quit her story at some point and started Leon's instead.

An interesting chart: The Kill-Death rate chart!
This sheds some light on how players perform as the four playable characters in the story:

unknown.png

Since Sherry cannot kill enemies, disregard her 0 K/D ratio. All I want you take from this is Claire's K/D ratio; she has the best one by a decent margin. This does not contradict that most players playing Leon's story are casual fans/newcomers and people playing Claire's story are experienced/returning fans of the series.

Conclusion:
With all these numbers, we can say that Leon is - surprise - a huge attraction to players, whether casual or hardcore fans of RE. The casual fans dropping out of Leon's story may be due to disinterest in the game overall, not his character.

Meanwhile, there's enough evidence to believe that most players choosing Claire are players committed to the game already; they intend to finish the game more than once, and they seem to be experienced RE players in general. People dropping out of Claire's story could be a combination of disinterest in the game or the character herself.

________

Please give Claire's story a shot and push through her story if you haven't played it yet. Her powerful scenes and character development come through big time in the second half of her story; please give Claire Redfield a chance!

Last edited:

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Shes better than leon in the remake while i liked leon more in the OG.
Also you didnt need all this OP youre right

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Does it really matter which story people do first if they both have a new identical clear rate?

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
I love this! Thanks for all the research! Honestly I started with Leon first only because that's what I did as a kid, I'm doing Claire's run now and really enjoy it both now and back then too. I just haven't completed because kingdom hearts lol

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The people are way more familiar with Leon than Claire despite her awesomeness OP

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
People are going to knock for the large OP, but I appreciate the level of detail, even if I don't think I'll have any problems playing all characters when I actually get the game.

smuguire

Oct 27, 2017
Cool post! Wish there was more of this kind of stuff here.

I don't have RE2make yet but will probably play as her first, especially if the difference between the two characters is minimized compared to the original release

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who noticed sexual tension between her and Leon?

Particularly in Claire A when Leon shows up at the station before you get the bolt cutter.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
I just did Leon's first because that's how I originally played RE2. I prefer playing as Claire tho.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Claire's story is genuinely better then Leon's.
I played this game with my mom and sister, they loved her at lot.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Never played an RE game before in my life, I chose Claire for my first playthrough. I can say after playing both that I preferred Leon. Claire was just boring. Leon was fucking hilarious, what a goddamn brainless dweeb.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
I was planning to play Claire's story after Leon's, but I also picked up Ace Combat 7 PC this morning...lol

Oct 25, 2017
Claire has a better story that Leon's. Claire also gets better weapons, I'm just not crazy about the Sherry section but it's fine and like a couple minutes long.

Also you should play both anyways.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Claire is the greatest. Better version of the story and makes Leon look like a total dork in comparison.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Ada you know I've been saying this for a while now! Claire the best and she deserves so much more respect. She was an ultra badass in the remake. So much respect

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
played leon first because im actually saving the best for last.. maybe everyone else is thinking the same and claire is really the more popular character overall

Zeshile

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Kansas
I've been noticing the same thing. It's pretty sad since her story, at least to me, was the better of the two. And Leon's weapons suck compared to hers.

OP
OP
AdaWong

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
Thanks to everyone so far for appreciating the detail! Don't worry, I do this for myself because I love sharing the shit I like to do on my free time haha. But yeah it's hilarious how Era thinks you're trolling if your OP is one line but also thinks you're trolling if your OP has stuff backing up your claims. XD

Does it really matter which story people do first if they both have a new identical clear rate?

....yes. You're missing the entire point of all the data I'm crunching. The huge gap but similar clear rate is an important piece to the hypothesis and conclusion.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I did Leon A mainly to get Claire B as i thought her "sick of this shit" attitude towards the end was perfect. She's also shown to be clearly competent of the situation (moreso than Leon) and generally came off as super Badass. That moment in the Lab before the boss fight was fistpump worthy

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Her voice actor is also better than Leon's. Can't stand that guy. Nasally bad line reads.

I should've started with her first. Found her to be more confident and mature than Leon, with better weapons and more empathetic story.

I think the only reason I didn't was that I was subliminally suggested to play as Leon first because of the cover of the Deluxe Edition for this game, which, surprise, only has Leon on it. I'm gonna flip it over and display it with Claire instead.

6255222_sd.jpg

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The first play through stat is not surprising but the completion stats are. It's a shame because I ended up liking Claire and the way characters react to her better than in Leon's story (even though I've always been more of a Leon fan). On a somewhat related note, I hope the awful completion stats do not negatively come impact future Resident Evil games. I'd hate for Capcom to dumb the games down because of that.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I mean it's pretty simple. Leon was the lone star of the most celebrated game in the series (4) and the primary character of the highest selling game of the series (6). He's more familiar to the public and therefore chosen first, and a lot of people probably won't play through a second scenario fully.

Oct 27, 2017
London
Claire>Leon always, this kind of thing is like how many people played Female Shepard over Male Shepard. I actually played Leon first but quit after 10 minutes to go with Claire instead.

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't Claire's better KDR be explained by the fact that most people played her second and were better at the game by that point?

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
Claire? But she's a girl....EW! If the internet taught me anything it is that girls are icky and they distract poor Ninja.

100% joke post, do not take seriously.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Never played RE2 before and I chose Claire cuz she's hot. It's a shallow choice but I loved her story.

RE4 was my first resident evil and I love Leon but Claire tho.

every RE game is built upon sexual tension that never leads to anything
You're totally right, blows my mind.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Claire is great. She's better written here compared to the original game, and the new actress does a better job than the original VA did. True fact.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Impressive OP. Whenever I get the game, I'll be sure to play as Claire first! I did start with Leon in the original version.

Seeing Sherry's stats as 0 kills and 1, 364, 335 deaths made me laugh.

Cr1st0

Oct 28, 2017
I chose Leon cause I found it easier since the first game. Claire's is better and my favorite character. Hell I love Code Veronica, apart from Steve which IMO was more of a fill in for story apart when he became a Boss.

Oct 25, 2017
I only picked Claire first because I wanted to hear if Marvin, notes or Claire discussed Chris at.

I did like Claire in the REmake more than any other Claire appearance.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they remake Code Veronica to give Claire more popularity (she's got Revelations 2 but she shares that game with like 3 other protagonists)

I kinda like how Leon is a stereotype in so many of his games (virtuous cop in RE2, cheesy-ass action movie hero in RE4, troubled past operative in RE6)

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always play with female characters first so I started playing with Claire first. Leon can wait.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I agree. I love Claire; best protagonist in RE2 and Code Veronica.

Yet to play Revelations 2. Need to get on that.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
I haven't played the remake yet, but does Leon have the modified magnum in this game too?

If so, not even acid grenades can sway me from moving to Claire. That gun was so goddamn good.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Claire has always been the best RE character due to her design and amazing voicework by Alyson Court who capcom need to bring back immediately.