• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
000.jpg

I searched but couldn't find a thread.

Regarding the New Yakuza Game Starring Ichiban Kasuga
  • The story is finally done.
  • We're now in the recording stages, and most of the main parts are recorded.
  • This time is going to be amazing as well. There are some unexpected people cast that are sure to surprise people.
  • I was surprised with how much these casts fit in their roles.
  • The new protagonist, Ichiban Kasuga, talks way more than Kiryu, and has different motivations for his actions. Therefore the overall feeling of the story is different, as well as the gameplay. It feels fresh in many ways. I really want to share more soon. Its tough but development has been smooth.

PlayStation 5
  • Even after PlayStation 5 is released, I think PlayStation 4 is going to be the main focus for a while longer.
  • The processing power of PlayStation 5 is incredible, so when we try to think of new gameplay that will utilize its full potential, I'm not really sure which aspects of existing mechanics we should translate.
  • First there was a time when graphics improved, then there was network features, and now I guess you can say its a return to the "programmable" era? I think artificial intelligence and machine learning will continue to evolve.
  • If you would pour its power into graphics it'll be the best that we've yet to see, and I think everyone is thinking about in what way we should use that power. I as well. There's artificial intelligence and many other things I want to think about.

Source

Jul 24, 2018
Ichiban seems like a mix between Akiyama and Majima, I'm digging him. Hope they wait with releasing the game till next year.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be so boss. Excited about the goofiness that awaits and to see Kamurocho in all of the PS5 splendor will be a sight to behold. I need everything to launch stateside with PC ports to follow! We need 3/4/5 touched up too! Can't wait to see what the Dragon Engine is capable of on new tech.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I only ever finished Zero, I need to crack on with the rest of the series.
Judgement might be just what you need when it releases next month then? Will give you a taste of what the games are like on the current engine.
One of the very early PS4 games was a Yakuza title. Shame that it never made its way over to the West however.
Ishin was still a PS3 release too though. I figure they'll do PS5 versions, but just won't move over to it Yakuza 6 style until a bit later.

Oct 27, 2017
I really want the next generation to be the generation where AI makes huge advances. I feel like the last few generations games have focused too much on graphics and animations while leaving AI almost at Ps2 AI level. It's time.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
AI, huh? My question is whether he's talking about Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning or he's talking about NPC behavior AI. Those are two very VERY different things in actual gameplay and impact. If it's the first, is this the first time we've heard confirmation that AI/ML are being thought about in conjunction with next gen PlayStation? I'm still sad that Yakuza has never broken onto Xbox (I'm sure they still expect most of their sales to be in Japan and thus "what's the point", but hopefully that's changing now).

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I really want the next generation to be the generation where AI makes huge advances. I feel like the last few generations games have focused too much on graphics and animations while leaving AI almost at Ps2 AI level. It's time.
Indeed. It's the final frontier really. Give me an RPG with a truly free flowing story that changes depending on you. Imagine all the characters have their traits and pre designed choices at certain moments but otherwise the AI develops the character as you play in that world and as the world adapts. Thats probably a generation or two away with ongoing AI development and likely the AI being fed from cloud tech rather than on device, but it's an exciting future. Graphics and scale of games are gonna explode next gen, so graphics is a go.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Still think the next RGG will launch in December, been their go-to launch window for a few years now

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
The real question: is the Cabaret Club, the main game underneath all of these Yakuza-flavored side quests, going to return?

Jul 24, 2018
Likely refering to Judgment as set in the same universe (just your a detective this time than a Yakuza)
You play as a detective in Yakuza 4 as well, you rarely play as an actual Yakuza in any of the other games anyway. Judge Eyes is for all intents and purposes just a new installment in the Yakuza series.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why it takes so long for them to release remasters. Localization is already there, just upgrade the visuals and you are good to go. I mean Japan already got Yakuza 3, right?
Well in case of western release, the need to give players a bit of space. Judgment is coming out next month so they can't just release 4 games on top of each other.

And iirc all of the remasters are out in Japan.

Jul 24, 2018
I don't understand why it takes so long for them to release remasters. Localization is already there, just upgrade the visuals and you are good to go. I mean Japan already got Yakuza 3, right?
I don't think it's that simple, they will most like have to redo the localization partially because Yakuza 3 and 4 has a few translation errors in it

Djost1kk

Jan 14, 2018
Russia
Well in case of western release, the need to give players a bit of space. Judgment is coming out next month so they can't just release 4 games on top of each other.

And iirc all of the remasters are out in Japan.

Damn, now I'm even more mad knowing that Japan has every major Yakuza game on PS4. Sega what the fuck are you waiting for lol.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Japanese games are going to be stuck in cross-gen hell for a long, looong time, isn't it? Makes sense, and it's still good enough to me.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So, are they going to make a new map this time ?

If by this you mean is Kamurocho ever going to stop being a central location in the series, with only modifications to the area between games rather a full new map, the answer is no.

The various games do introduce further areas alongside it (e.g. sotenbori in zero/2, and others in later games), but Kamurocho and the reuse of the map with modifications is what let's them even make these games on a budget reasonable to the level of sales they get. So it's not going anywhere.