• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rare

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't see a thread up and I'm no good at writing real OP's, seems like a stealth release because for whatever reason this is only on Xbox Game Pass for PC and not Steam.

Big thing I've noticed so far is that despite the port being from QLOC and having stuff like CAS, SSAO, CMAA, resolution scaling, the framerate is capped at 60 no matter what and it's poorly paced so I'd suggest capping it at 60 via RTSS so you don't get super annoying judder.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Er, this is some kind of Windows Store exclusive? Was that already known?

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Do I need a frame limiter if I am using v sync for 60 hz on my tv?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
www.shacknews.com

Yakuza Remastered Collection PC impressions: Better late than never

Sega has finally brought the remainder of its PS3-era Yakuza remasters over to PC. Were they worth the wait?
Sadly, the games do not seem to offer high refresh rate support despite allowing players to choose 120 Hz, 144 Hz, and higher output modes. The included frame rate caps also fail to properly control frame pacing, so if you want the smoothest, most-consistent gameplay possible, you'll need to use a driver-level solution or 3rd-party application. Ultrawide works, though it simply adds black bars to the sides of the screen and is not fully supported.
Much of the games' cutscenes are pre-rendered and when put against the actual game, look really rough. They were captured at a low resolution with low bitrates that lead to excessive aliasing, blur, color banding, and compression artifacts. I've not seen the console version of this collection, but I would assume this is simply how the games are presented and is not a byproduct of the PC port itself. I found the audio quality to be lackluster with dialogue and music cues having lots of audible encoding compression.
yakuza-remastered-impressions-y4-options-1.jpg

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
120hz work but frame rate cap is 30, 60 and auto so I don't know if it goes over 60fps. Also have dynamic res which is great. Not sure what CMAA is, definitely no TAA, aliasing and shimmering are very noticable.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
One note I haven't seen mentioned yet. In Yakuza 3 and 4 I cannot set a Windowed or Borderless resolution above 1080p. In Yakuza 5 I can, however.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I also get this weird shadow/refraction effect around water. Not sure if I have some driver setting doing this or if this is just how the game looked.

Volumee180585c-c4d8-0dfb-ec3a-15d02221d9c7_Screenshot_2021.01.27_-_23.12.44.86.png

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I'm real curious about when Y6 comes out on Game Pass/PC.

Y3-Y5 have at least had 60fps editions with the PS4 version, but Y6 is stuck at default and this will be the first real upgrade for that game.

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017

Y3-Y5 have at least had 60fps editions with the PS4 version, but Y6 is stuck at default and this will be the first real upgrade for that game.
Me too. It'll be so weird to see that one running smoothly, but I'm excited for it.

OP
OP
rare

rare

Oct 25, 2017
I also get this weird shadow/refraction effect around water. Not sure if I have some driver setting doing this or if this is just how the game looked.

Volumee180585c-c4d8-0dfb-ec3a-15d02221d9c7_Screenshot_2021.01.27_-_23.12.44.86.png
That's always been a thing with the engine they used from 3-kiwami, it's just the way that they have the water shader that funnily enough never really got messed with, you can see it in 0's puddles.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
OP you seem to be actively looking for problems.

All 3 previous ports were fine and I imagine these new ones are too.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life will come out on March 25, 2021.
www.pcinvasion.com

The Yakuza Remastered Collection and 6 coming to PC this year

The rest of the mainline Yakuza games are coming to PC! Yorokobe, shounen. The first three are coming soon, but 6 is still a few off.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I have played all of them on PS3 but will pick them up on Steam again to complete the mainline-series collection there eventually. Still remember the sweet ending of Yakuza 5. I then thought it might be the last that I'd see of Yakuza-series if it was to stay PS-exclusive post-PS3, but luckily it didn't. Still not done with Like A Dragon, but it is a treat as usual. Love this series.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Here are my Yakuza 3 Windows 10 port impressions. Played for about an hour. Will update this post if need be.

Positives:
- Improved resolution of the text font, it's not blurry like in the other games.
- Certain characters use the full cutscene texture quality in-game so they look nicer overall compared to PS4/3.
- Some minor quality of life features were added such as remappable buttons, volume adjustment for music, special effects and cinematics and the ability to pause cutscenes. Controller sensitivity, ability to hide the HUD, etc.
- True arbitrary resolution support is also in. The game will detect 8K or whatever resolution you got configured on Windows which wasn't an option in 0 and Kiwami 1 since it didn't let you go up a certain resolution after 4K.
- Dodge was kinda broken on PS4, but it's now fixed here. On PS4, it was way too fast compared to PS3, likely something that was tied to the framerate, it now matches the PS3 version.
- So far, (bar that broken reflection posted earlier) the game has been visually accurate to the console version, haven't noticed any broken lighting or other visual shenanigans yet which did plague Yakuza 0's PC port at launch.

Negatives:
- Gonna get the big one out of the way and one that was already mentioned, the game has a 60FPS cap. No high framerate support at all unlike the other Yakuza ports really sucks and my biggest personal disappointment with the port even though it's understandable given the game's legacy roots. Maybe someone will figure out a mod, but I won't hold my breath.
- FOV slider is missing unlike the other Yakuza ports. Not a deal breaker for me, but still worth a mention.
- The game is more demanding than I though, I could not keep a stable 60fps at 8K on a RTX 2080 with the game maxed out, it was hovering mostly in the high 30s and 40s. If I disable SSAO and turn shadows to low, I mostly get 60fps with some dips at 8K. Of course the game runs perfectly maxed out at 4K. Game simulation is also tied to frame-rate so it slows down if you can't reach the target framerate which is either 60 or 30, similar to Resident Evil 4.
- I'm still noticing some LOD pop in even with the setting set to "Maximum"

Also wanted to note that I'm not suffering from the frame pacing issues that some people reported.
Overall, it's fine, but it's a bit of a mixed bag. This is a pretty straight budget ports with a couple of small nice features thrown in, but also missing some others that were found in prior ports. The games clearly have some limitations due to their legacy. We'll see if QLOC patches in some improvements after launch.

For someone like me that has played these games a hundred times before, I'm more excited to see what's to come from the modding community than playing the games again at its current state (but who am I kidding, I'm still gonna play the shit outta them anyways, lol). But for Xbox and PC newcomers that have never played these games before, I doubt they'll mind some of these shortcomings and the games are gonna be a treat, so for those people, enjoy.

Chossen

Nov 26, 2017
Does anyone know if it's possible to use Dualshock button prompts? I have just tested Yakuza 5 from gamepass and my ds4 works but with Xbox controller prompts (To play yakuza saga I prefer to use my ds4 instead of my Xbox one controller)

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
like... what exactly?
A very small amount of people were saying that certain arcade games were not functioning properly and issues getting the final dungeon fight to load.

I imagine the arcade issue is due to framerates? Not a PC gamer but i imagine trying to increase framerate might bork the arcade games?

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I just finished Yakuza 5 on PS4, played 3-5 on that platform because I did not want to wait for PC versions. Yakuza 6 for me is the only PC version truly worth waiting for as it will run at 60 fps or more. Hopefully its newer engine means it will perform similar to the Kiwami 2 PC version.

Shame that 3-5 have some legacy stuff preventing above 60 fps.

For those coming to this set of games just now, my advice is to not play the hostess minigame in 3. It's a pile of crap compared to what we all loved in Zero.

Once you get to Yakuza 5, remember to get some new tunes from the dude sitting at the left (your right) of the lady giving you missions for Kiryu. Then you can order more from stores. I went through that minigame waiting too long to get new songs to listen to because I did not know that was the way to unlock them.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017

This is an artefact from the way the game is simulating the water reflections. It's using screenspace reflections, and everything "above the water" will get reflected. So Kiryu's arms are reflected the same way the hill in the distance is.
Don't think there's a way to fix this. It's this kind of trickery that could one day be simply gone when ray tracing based GI becomes better supported by gaming hardware.

OP
OP
rare

rare

Oct 25, 2017
What reflection? That's a paper door, you're seeing silhouettes of the other room (just texture work)
it ain't a room on the other side lmao, that's outside
OP you seem to be actively looking for problems.

All 3 previous ports were fine and I imagine these new ones are too.
I really don't actively look for problems, Yakuza is one of my favorite franchises but I'm not one to also shy away from technical issues.
Just because I mention something that may seem like I'm talking badly about doesn't mean I am, I figured I would mention these things mainly because the previous ports didn't have the same 60 fps cap or lack of FOV slider like the previous 3 ports did. The game is still 100% playable and enjoyable the way it is, I'd just like to experience it in it's best possible form rather than just "good enough" is all.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
CMAA? Never heard about this AA option before. No SSAA, like in Yakuza 0/K1??
I remember it from WoW:
CMAA Short for "Conservative Morphological Anti-Aliasing," this works similarly to FXAA except it is a lot more conservative as its name implies. It doesn't blur the image nearly as much and does a better job at only smoothing out geometric edges rather than the entire image.
It's still post processing so pretty crappy compared to TAA.

Nice! (not that my GTX 970 can handle it lol, but SSAA 2x or even 4x was almost perfect 60 fps in Kiwami/0)

It probably can these ports run even better then Kiwami/0 so just try it.

zeox

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Disappointing to see some features missing from previous ports (mainly fps cap and fov slider, though I don't care too much about the fps cap), but I'm excited to dive in later today when it arrives on steam!

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Thanks for the quick impressions! Sounds like solid ports with some caveats, kinda what I expected given that at heart they're still PS3 games.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Sucks about the FPS cap, but considering some of the minigames had to be capped at 30 FPS on PS4, not completely surprised.

Last edited:

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Having just played Kiwami 2, the lack of TAA was sorely missed as there was aliasing everywhere, even at 4k. All the post options (FXAA, SMAA, CMAA) actually make temporal aliasing worse.