• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I liked the setting and some of the wilder ideas/bosses in this game but...didn't really enjoy playing it? Definitely one of those cult games where it's easy to get the impression it's amazing because the people who do like it are super passionate about it when really your mileage may vary.

Would be cool to see it get a remaster so more people can give it a go.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Please patch the PC version to remove mouse acceleration.

No matter how hard I tried to configure it, mouse aiming was bad.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
People need to learn shooting robots is fun a fuck. Nothing more satisfying than whittling away at their armor and Binary Domain is king of it.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Easily one of the best games of PS360 gen. I'll pay any amount for a remaster pls. Even if it's just a 60fps port.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Yes please!!!! This game is amazing. Love how varied all the boss fight were and there were no dull moments in its set pieces.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Why do your squad mates try so hard to walk into your line of fire in BD? I had moments where they would literally chase my reticle, and it was infuriating.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
The one thing I never got working right was the voice commands, I'm all for a remaster/remake though.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Was about to pick this up for PS3 in the next few weeks, but if there's hope of a remaster I might not bother then.

Dear RGGS. Please stop remaking/remastering games. Just make the game BC on Xbox and let MS' magic FPS thingy do the rest. Maybe fix the PC port's mouse aiming issues though. I love the dev team, but I want to see them working on new stuff, not continuously trying to touch up their old games especially as they cant help but change things for the worse sometimes.
With dev time for games getting longer and longer, I dont want them locked up remastering a flop but rather working on either a new game, or at least a new Yakuza game/spinoff.
I never thought I'd hear someone complain about RGGS' game output. They made 6 brand new games last gen + 2 full remakes on top of the 3 remasters they did? Literally what other game studio made 6 new games last generation lol. Most devs couldn't even do that on the PS2. If anything they need to slow down and stop saturating their own market with almost yearly releases of very similar games.

Oct 27, 2017
Game has a pretty dull first area that makes a bad first impression. I think it was the demo, too.

If a remaster could alter that opening maybe more people would stick with it. Fantastic game.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
^yo was the game in your avatar any good? Think it was called Headhunter?? Used to always look at the box when I was in the store because of the motorcycle on the back
on topic:
Other than Binary Domain being absolutely amazing. I just want more french robot. Don't think I will buy a remaster though.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
One of my favourite games from the PS3/360 era. I always hoped Microsoft would make this BC on Xbox, but it never happened.

I'll gladly buy this again.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
This is the one where you can use a mic to direct your AI teammates, right? Always wanted to play this and never got around to it.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Was about to pick this up for PS3 in the next few weeks, but if there's hope of a remaster I might not bother then.

I never thought I'd hear someone complain about RGGS' game output. They made 6 brand new games last gen + 2 full remakes on top of the 3 remasters they did? Literally what other game studio made 6 new games last generation lol. Most devs couldn't even do that on the PS2. If anything they need to slow down and stop saturating their own market with almost yearly releases of very similar games.

This is the big thing about RGGS' output, and something like Binary Domain could be a healthy breather from that. Assuming leaks, rumors, and implications of anything to go by, we have Yakuza 8 because of course we will, a Ryuji Goda game, and another Judgment title on the horizon. Two of those will be brawlers, if they actually exist.

Remakes and remasters haven't seemed to harm their overall output. What did Kiwami 1, 2, or the remasters of 3-5 actually delay? Judgment was their fastest game to go from reveal, to release, to international release. The problem they face is that a lot of their games are very similar, so the onset of franchise fatigue can be particularly strong for a series that reuses so much. They get games out fast because they will reuse literally everything they can, so the feeling of things being samey is very strong.

Their problem isn't re-releases harming projects. It's that their studio is much like what people complained about with Omega Force and Tecmo-Koei for years ago: they basically make one "type" of game and release it a lot.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
I want to play as the French robot.
I just want more french robot.

Cain fans unite!

tumblr_m6k2jyOjpt1qitl8jo1_500.gif

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Re-read my post again. You clearly didn't get my point. Not complaining about their output when it comes to NEW games. Those almost all rocked (I have some issues with 6, but still love it). But I have issues with how they handled the remakes of 1 and 2 in places, despite loving them at the time of release. I've since replayed 1&2 and don't like how they decide to add certain stuff that serves as meme fodder that actively brings the game down (which is just what Majima Everywhere was) - it kills 1's pace, ruins the opportunity to have a remake of Yakuza 1 played fully with Kiryu's legendary fighting style because for 2/3 of the game its completely useless, so your stuck playing Yakuza 1 like 0 instead. Only now Shimano 1 takes 3 times as long to beat, for no reason. And his unique fighting style is gone and he's just Mr Shakedown now. Not to mention 1 getting longer, pointless fetch quests in the story for no reason (ring/funeral/stray dog) and Majima gets a hilarious bad extra story scene that is so poorly added just to try and explain Majima story injury alongside the fact you've been stuck fighting him an extra 50 times between chapter 4 and 12 or whatever it was. And when its all said and done, it still turned out better than what they did to Yakuza 2 with that "remake". Cutting even more unique content, butchering a once great soundtrack, ruining the combat (compared to the original, in both variety of moves, and how the entire thing handles), lobotomizing the AI so there's no semblance of difficulty... oh, and a really nice story chapter has to be completely changed because the area your supposed to go was cut (most likely for time, as they had a tight deadline for the remake and had to fix and finish a bunch of stuff that 6 introduced which was left half finished - like Kamurocho itself).

The remasters of 3-5 were fine. Not perfect by any means - 3 still has lingering issues on all formats to this day where the jump from 30FPS to 60FPS broke stuff (dodge, bowling physics, weird Pool control issues). 4 and 5 retain a couple of these issues along with game specific ones of their own.

Thing is - a remaster/remake that requires more than a quick port job (which assuredly was what the remasters of 3-5 were, 3 especially) will require time and developer involvement. Which then takes that away from other projects. New projects. Yakuza 8 is no doubt coming, but not soon. Back in the day it was a Yakuza sequel a year - 1 and 2 were a year apart, 3 and 4 likewise. Then things started spacing out more and more as filler/spinoff games snuck in more to take a spot in the yearly release schedule to give them more time to work on the "main" series. Then those spinoffs also started getting further between as the remasters then took spots in the release schedule - 2013 had no new Yakuza game, just the ill fated 1&2 remaster for the Wii U. Likewise, 2019 had no release bar the remaster of 5 (and before anyone points out - Im using the Japanese release schedule, so localising games dont count as releases to me).
Things will no doubt take longer from here as games take longer to make. So assuming that means less games get made - I want them to focus on new stuff. More Ichiban, more NEW Samurai games (that means no butchering of Kenzan) like they spoke of recently - that sengoku samurai game sounds rather nice. They literally have a VR Yakuza tech demo existing right now I'd love to see released - even though its just exploring Kamurocho in VR, that's honestly enough for a bonus side mode. Basically, do stuff that hasn't been done before. The best stuff last gen honestly was the new stuff - Ishin and 0 in 2014 and 2015 were amazing entries in the series early in the PS4's life and while 0 obviously lacked stakes (you knew who would live/die/disappear) it was still fun. Ishin was an amazing fan service style game for those that played 1-5 previously, or just wanted a cool spinoff. 6 was hurt by Kiwami's release (people were pulled off it to work on the remake) but I still like it, flaws and all. But its Judge Eyes and 7 that really had me loving the series all over again - that new engine finally put the better use, amazing stories, characters and some nice changes to the gameplay (Judge Eyes fleshed out combat, 7 scrapping conventional combat in favor for something new). FOTNS was a barebones game but one that had amazing combat that sorta took the silliness in part of 3's combat (bounding combos) and dialed it up to 11, and as a result ended up with perhaps my favourite combat and boss fights RGGS have done. So yeah. More of that please!
Sorry for the ramble, just how I feel after playing every game in the series (many a time!)

This is the big thing about RGGS' output, and something like Binary Domain could be a healthy breather from that. Assuming leaks, rumors, and implications of anything to go by, we have Yakuza 8 because of course we will, a Ryuji Goda game, and another Judgment title on the horizon. Two of those will be brawlers, if they actually exist.

Remakes and remasters haven't seemed to harm their overall output. What did Kiwami 1, 2, or the remasters of 3-5 actually delay? Judgment was their fastest game to go from reveal, to release, to international release. The problem they face is that a lot of their games are very similar, so the onset of franchise fatigue can be particularly strong for a series that reuses so much. They get games out fast because they will reuse literally everything they can, so the feeling of things being samey is very strong.

Their problem isn't re-releases harming projects. It's that their studio is much like what people complained about with Omega Force and Tecmo-Koei for years ago: they basically make one "type" of game and release it a lot.

Ok, disagree with parts of this. First off, dont believe everything you see on the Internet. The Ryuji thing was a modding discord hoax and the RGGO story for Ryuji has finished - in a whimper, no less. They seemed to want to be done with it as fast as humanly possible, at least going by the way that last chapter wraps it up... It could still happen as a real game, but the way its been treated lately makes me doubt it, personally.

Judge Eyes 2 is similarly just speculation from a site that has no prior record of much merit, and the details they put out so far are laughable. I do believe JE2 can and may even exist, I just don't buy the source reporting on it.
8's the only one sorta confirmed through actual interviews with RGGS staff. Everything else is baseless speculation at this point at best.

Secondly, re-releases are harming projects. Yakuza 6 had devs pulled off it to finish Kiwami 1. 6 was the game that needed that attention - because the one we got had a Kamurocho that wasn't even finished - with a part of it missing. Not to mention that the combat itself was missing lots of moves that Kiryu had in his last canon game (Yakuza 5), no weapons vendors (you had 4 types of weapon - sword, hammer, gun, and knife and those were mainly just gotten from enemies when they dropped them if they didn't break) etc. You tell me that 6 wasn't harmed by Kiwami... and while it wasn't a re-release that hurt Kiwami 2, RGGS sticking to a December release date for it sure didn't help - so again stuff had to be cut from the original instead of giving the game more time so that it could be fully realised.
The remaster of 3 was quickly pushed out in Japan and while Western audiences weren't aware of some of the issues, it had tons of patches compared to any other game in the series for bug fixes. Heck, for a while the game would crash 100% if you played the batting cages for too long (great news for people aiming to do EX Hard batting). Then conspicuously 4's remaster got a quiet delay in Japan... granted that one was never discussed and I certainly can't speak for the studio, but it sounded like 3 was handled by either a smaller team or an external dev and RGGS weren't happy with the result (understandably) and took a more hands on approach with 4 and 5 which had far less issues.

Also, Judge Eyes dev is hard to say that it was/wasn't affected by other stuff. It was originally supposed to be a TV series after all, but that got scrapped at some point and had it made into a game. So who knows what happened behind the scenes on that one. Likewise 7's dev cycle isn't exactly smooth sailing as according to the studio (which I take with a grain of salt - or they are wizards) scrapped the entire combat system for the game less than a year from release and redid it due to reception of the April Fools vid they put out (the game was released the following January).

If anything, the devs either work like mad or can roll with the punches rather well to get stuff out quick because especially in 7's case, its a pretty crazy turnaround time to make huge changes like that in such a short space of time.

Last edited:

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Oh my god, I just noticed that Majima is in this game wtf? I mean I played this game before the yakuza games but this was unexpected.

Maybe we could get another game as well?

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I like BD well enough, but I don't think GoW comparisons are that unwarranted. It tried to do some things to set it apart like pretty cool boss battles, limb destruction and (super dumb) reputation system, but ultimately, unlike say Vanquish, it is GoW-adjacent cover shooter.

Still, RGG showed gigantic progress between Dead Souls (which is legit trash tier TPS) and Binary Domain.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Imagine Binary Domain Kiwami, with the awesome physics/destruction of the Dragon engine. The robot carnage would feel and look even more insane (fun). And make it 60fps. It would be glorious.

EmmaDansTonU

Nov 27, 2020
This piece of news actually came out last month in March, but I'm surprised no one mentioned it here on ERA.

Better late than never I suppose!

252642.jpg

kotaku.com

There's Still Hope For A Binary Domain Remaster

Robotic thriller Binary Domain sold terribly when it came out nearly a decade ago, but that doesn’t necessarily mean we’ve seen the last of it. Yakuza series producer Daisuke Sato is once again keeping hope alive for the shooter’s cult following.

Binary Domain didn't sell well, but it was a cult hit.

Honestly, where do I go to show my support?
It would be dope. I loved the original game. Too bad multiplayer was almost unplayable because no players online

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
It's IMO one of the top 5 best shooters of the PS3/360 generation, but I'd prefer a sequel over a remaster.
I've got the PC version, and that's fine.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
That'd be cool.. a sequel would be cooler tho. I can already play BD on PC.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
This game alongside vanquish was the most satisfying TPS game I played on ps3 back in the day. Do it.