• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Probably because PS5 hasn't even been officially unveiled? Just a guess.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
What other platforms have games released on since those days then? I mean, there's a reason why, because cross-gen only lasts so long.

Christ. I'm not denying that Cross Buy exists. I know it exists. I'm saying that Sony haven't divulged what they plan to do with PS5 yet. They could very well just employ the same system they used for early this gen, but they haven't specified yet. It's been a long time since Cross Buy was in use so they may even be preparing something new.

That's what I mean by plans.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
... You know that this game is already released on PS4 in Japan and that the PS5 is backwards compatible anyway, right ?

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I thought the same as OP, because other games announced today are showing PS5 specifically

OLr68W5.jpg

Yeah it's at least a little weird then

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Good on xbox and Sega for having it release on multiple platforms. Not really that hard now was it?

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I don't this really deserves a thread. We're in a marketing limbo period where some will say they're coming to both next gen, some not. I really think it's absurd to think it wouldn't, especially since the series is huge in Japan and Xbox has zero hope of ever having a meaningful market share there. Let's just wait until Sony has their reveal before jumping to conclusions?

On the contrary, this is precisely why it is an interesting topic. If MS did want to do interesting things in Japan, it has to start doing so in a consistent manner. Like I said above, it is exceptionally weird not to talk about PS5 if it is coming out day 1 (not just PS4 BC or whatever happens with that). Even the Steam trailer shows seemingly everything but PS5

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
That would be the weirdest timed exclusivity. You can play it on PS4, but not on PS5, even when PS5 is BC?

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I find it way more likely that Sony might not have a smart delivery like feature, than ms purchasing exclusivity to keep the game out of PS5.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
That would be the weirdest timed exclusivity. You can play it on PS4, but not on PS5, even when PS5 is BC?

But would you advertise a PS4 version played via BC, as a PS5 version? That seems needlessly misleading. PS4 is there in the trailer, specifically for a western release (ie western release it isn't out yet). So why exclude PS5, but include Steam. They seem clear on where you can get it. So it's a fair question to wonder why it isn't there.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Another thing to know if this is pure marketing and a proper Series X version really exits or it's just a patched version.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
What's up with the last part of the video, laser shooting satellites and magic spells WTF?

I thought the same as OP, because other games announced today are showing PS5 specifically.
If there is a day and date PS5 version of Yakuza Like a Dragon, it is exceptionally dumb to announce every other version except that

OLr68W5.jpg
Weird!

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
They are likely gonna showcase next-gen Yakuza during a Sony event. PS5 has BC anyway, this doesnt really change alot.
Sonys focus will likely to push and promote next-gen only games, no need to hype up BC games as much as MS.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
The PS5 hasn't been revealed, and neither has the logo. Hard to put up a logo when it doesn't exist.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It'll be on ps5. Ps5 just hasn't been officially revealed yet. That's all there is to it.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
It's obviously a bit weird because other games have been confirmed for PS5, but for now I'm just assuming Sega is waiting for the PS5 to be officially unveiled.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Timed exclusivity for a title that's already on and announced for PS4? I don't think so, let's just wait and see.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
But would you advertise a PS4 version played via BC, as a PS5 version? That seems needlessly misleading. PS4 is there in the trailer, specifically for a western release (ie western release it isn't out yet). So why exclude PS5, but include Steam

Of course not. Cause the Series X version is a real next gen version with improvements (however they look like) and not just a back compatible last gen version like on PS4.

Spongehead56

Jul 6, 2018
Wisconsin
This is just an artifact of it being part of an XBOX event. Don't worry the PS5 version is coming out this year as well. The RGG twitter has confirmed as much.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's more so because Sony hasn't really shown off more of the PS5 and it's upcoming lineup.

It's weird, because AC Valhalla was announced clearly for PS4/PS5. So all I can think of is that it's being saved later tobe announced coming to the PS5 at a PS5 reveal, or it will be updated later, or we will only get a PS4 version.

But I think it will end up coming to the PS5.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Of course not. Cause the Series X version is a real next gen version with improvements (however they look like) and not just a back compatible last gen version like on PS4.

This is exactly my point. You can argue that a PS5 version is yet to be revealed and launches day 1 etc. If that were true, it's exceeding dumb not to discuss that version also, when you are literally discussing every other version, old gen, new gen and PC

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Considering that it is releasing before the Series X comes out, apparently, there won't be a next-gen boxed copy of it.

Which means they couldn't announce a PS5 version of it until PlayStation announce the existence of their equivalent of Smart Delivery. If they are doing that.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely be one of the most pointless timed exclusive deals yet and probably not good for anyone if they are going to start moneyhatting next gen ports, because you can be sure as shit both will do it, which will probably just be FPS boosts at that.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely a weird omission when looking at the platform lists for the other games shown.

Would not totally rule out some sort of moneyhat at this point, but we'll see.

I really doubt there's a exclusivity deal for a patch for Yakuza.

Wouldn't really be that much different from those timed exclusivity deals on game features we already see sometimes nowadays.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Another thing to know if this is pure marketing and a proper Series X version really exits or it's just a patched version.

I think both can be true and probably are. It's an Xbox game and it comes on one disc and it'll work on both Xbox Series X and Xbox One. If played on a Series X it'll have SX enhancements.

It's MS leaning into their 'generation less' future. There is no 'proper Series X' version. It's just an Xbox game. And if you see the little green badge then it'll run like you'd expect a Series X to run. If not, it'll run as it would on an Xbox One.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Being all cross-gen, the X version should be more stable i suppose. With this presentation, there could be more work that's going to be done, maybe because MS offered some help, it's getting a Windows store version. It's been said that devs can not talk about PS5's back-compat/cross-buy stuff until Sony talks about it themselves.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely a weird omission when looking at the platform lists for the other games shown.

Would not totally rule out some sort of moneyhat at this point, but we'll see.

Wouldn't really be that much different from those timed exclusivity deals on game features we already see sometimes nowadays.

Yeah, if it is true though, is this like some weird way of cutting exclusivity deals that cost less? Usually with these console deals they omit an entire platform - old and new gen. This is the first of it's kind I can think of - - if there is actually some sort of exclusivity here.

It's already out on PS4 lol

Not a western release, which is what this trailer is for

Joo

May 25, 2018
It doesn't make too much sense when a PS4 version is coming which should be playable on PS5. It's basically the same thing on Xbox. Seems a bit too far fetched that MS would've paid to have timed exclusivity to a next-gen patch, as it really doesn't make that big of difference if you're trying to have an advantage. This would really be a first. If it wasn't coming to PS4, then this would be a clear timed exclusive and nothing new about it.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I think there is some confusion in the thread. It's not about whether the game will run on a ps5 it's if there will be an enhanced version for the ps5. Exclusively enhanced versions aren't new just look at injustice or even the recent Yakuza releases.