• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Yakuza team posted a tweet showing off their trailer from Inside Xbox, along with a list of platforms the game will release on when it gets localized later this year. Interestingly enough, there is no mention of PS5.

Going back to the trailer itself, there doesn't seem to be any kind of indicator of a PS5 version at the end:

unknown.png

Trailers of other games from the show prominently display PS5 logos like so:

unknown.png

So what do we think? Both next gen consoles are currently slated for "Holiday 2020" with neither having a hard date. So why exclude PS5 while showing PS4 and Steam logos? Possible timed exclusivity in order to push Smart Delivery?

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I think they are just waiting for sony to officially unwrap the console then confirm. if it was a timed exclusive to next-gen, I'm pretty sure Xbox would be publicizing that

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Is been done before so I wouldn't be surprised. There new Yakuza ports for Xbox have exclusive enhancements. People just assumed it was due to the age of the PS4 releases. However there could be a business consideration for all of them. Sony did it with injustice last launch.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if it's due to Sony not really sharing info on its cross-gen compatibility. Like, if it's on PS4 this late in the game you should be able to pop it in and play it on PS5 anyway (key word: SHOULD). The only exclusivity would be the boosted performance which'd be a silly thing to pay for with Yakuza, of all things.

So yeah I'm guessing it's waiting on a full PS5 reveal.

Why would it be timed exclusive when the PS4 version is out already which will play on PS5 and the PC and Xbox versions are in development right now so it's trivial to add series X support. If a PS5 version happens, it'll probably be a patch or something.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is already made, with what I'm assuming to be PS4 tech. If anything it'll probably be compatible with PS5 at launch.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This feels more like the kind of thing that it'll be added later once the PS5 has actually announced the starting lineup, rather than a deal.

I don't think the team at sega would accept an offer to drop their lead platform ever since the PS2 that easily/.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is been done before so I wouldn't be surprised. There new Yakuza ports for Xbox have exclusive enhancements. People just assumed it was due to the age of the PS4 releases. However there could be a business consideration for all of them. Sony did it with injustice last launch.
A niche JRPG not funded by MS is not coming to PS5? Mind you it's already out on PS4 in Japan.

Last edited:

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Once Sony starts giving their PS5 launch line-up it'll be included. No reason to do it now.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be confirmed once Sony goes into more details on their back compat/smart delivery equivalent plans. If a PS5 version was announced now it would draw too many questions which they're likely not prepared to answer reactively.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
We don't know. The game is already out on PS4, and could very well be one of the enhanced BC games for PS5 by the time it launches in the West. They could also have a timed marketing deal and will announce the PS5 version later, or it is Series X exclusive as far as next gen goes. We just don't know.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This and that Bandai Namco game Scarlet Nexus definitely also have PS5 versions that just haven't been announced yet for promotional purposes.

Edit: I guess my tone may have come off wrong, as I don't know anything for sure. Although I asked Sega if there is a PS5 version of Yakuza and was told they have "nothing to announce at this time." I'll edit again when I hear back from Bandai Namco.

Last edited:

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
It'll be confirmed once Sony goes into more details on their back compat/smart delivery equivalent plans. If a PS5 version was announced now it would draw too many questions which they're likely not prepared to answer reactively.
What plans? Sony has always had a platform for cross-buy, which is basically what Smart Delivery is.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Sony haven't said any of their plans about how cross gen games will work yet. It'll either be playable on BC or they'll announce a version later. It's dumb to think it's some exclusivity deal for a niche RPG when it's also out on PS4.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like posters are missing the forest for the trees. All the other games in the showcase were fine including a PS5 version logo alongside PS4.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
A niche JRPG that is exclusive to Xbox and not funded by MS is not coming to PS5? Mind you it's already out on PS4 in Japan.
It wouldn't be exclusive because of bc. However Sega has already released Yakuza games with exclusive enhancements on Xbox. We don't know if is a case of not patching older versions or a business arrangement.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it's PS5 compatible and the console isn't even out yet, it'll prevent people from waiting for that version even though it will work on both. I'm sure it'll get some sorta updated label like many other BC games.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can play the PS4 Version on your PS5.

Sony hasn't said anything about how their bc works so let's wait a bit ok?

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Jumping the gun with this one. Yakuza franchise is heavily associated with the PlayStation platform. SEGA will be foolish to pull this move.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this an hour ago when they posted it and was surprised that a thread wasn't made. I am even more surprised that people are actually responding reasonably to it. Like, of course this game will be on PS5 lol.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Timed exclusive on a PS4 game already out in Japan that will run anyway on PS5 through BC ( possibly in boost mode as well) doesn't make any sense.
Today was simply not the place to discuss PS5 related enhancements that might also be provided with a simple patch over the base PS4 game so a specific PS5 version might not be published.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Only thing that matters is DF comparison between the game running on PS5 anXSX

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
This is a reach. By coming to PS4 it'll work with PS5 anyways. It coming to Series X means it'll be patched for PS5 too.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Until we see more games announcing PS5 ports, i wouldn't be worried.

I thought the same as OP, because other games announced today are showing PS5 specifically.
If there is a day and date PS5 version of Yakuza Like a Dragon, it is exceptionally dumb to announce every other version except that

OLr68W5.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I don't this really deserves a thread. We're in a marketing limbo period where some will say they're coming to both next gen, some not. I really think it's absurd to think it wouldn't, especially since the series is huge in Japan and Xbox has zero hope of ever having a meaningful market share there. Let's just wait until Sony has their reveal before jumping to conclusions?