• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I can imagine that especially the
Romance substories
and their conclusion will receive some negative reactions post launch.
Ah, true. Hope that system turns out better than the Persona equivalent (I'm sure Dragon Quest is a better analogue, but I ain't finished one with marriage in)

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Yeah fuck turn based combat. Absolutely detest it. Will buy Yakuza if it reverts back to the original style of combat

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Is the hard mode supposed to be better?
I mean, they are harder. Thing is, in Japan those were post game DLC so I couldn't play them off the bat. EX Hard mode (the only one I touched, never tried hard mode) requires you to have finished the game once before though - as enemies get more health and do exponentially more damage to you than on normal difficulty. If your basically level 99 with decent job levels (as the game explicitly recommends when you select the difficulty) you'll be fine. But starting outright? I'd assume its completely impossible. No idea how possible a naked hard mode run would be.

Yup. I found that out the hard way on the wrecking ball fight. If you go in without doing a bit of grinding and upgrading your gear you can get pummeled in no time flat.
That bit on EX Hard I think was one of my choke points - one of the few fights that took me a couple of tries to beat because of the base damage it could do! Likewise another similar fight in chapter 6 took me a couple of tries for the same reason (plus I'm not sure I'd spec'ed out my characters properly at that point).

Also, curious to anyone who's played on Series X - what's the initial load like? From game menu into the game map? Its a couple of minutes on the PS4, and pretty long as well when you go from an arcade game back to the main game map, so wondering just how much quicker it is (please say loads!)

This is what I was wondering about! Good. I can start on the higher difficulty like I do for every Yakuza playthrough I do. Glad to see the trend of Japan getting dumb/awful DLC just auto getting included in the base game in the Western release.
Its pretty unexpected, I really thought it'd be paid for over here as well, but they smartly decided against it much to my surprise. Only cost me 7yen on my import copy but glad that's not the case over here!

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hard mode was NG+ exclusive in the japanese release, I think.

It's not.
Can you spoil what happens? If you can't it's fine.

The series certainly isn't that good with it's female characters most of the time (I wish that would change) so I am wondering if it is even worse than some of the stuff in the games.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The final substory is literally the Persona Valentine's Day event, if you chose to date multiple characters. "Romance" boils down to a single substory related to that female character and you must have completed all of them in order to unlock this final substory.
Can you spoil what happens? If you can't it's fine.

The series certainly isn't that good with it's female characters most of the time (I wish that would change) so I am wondering if it is even worse than some of the stuff in the games.
Read above.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Last I checked 0 wasn't better than Kenzan ;) (or 5 for that matter).

What do you want compared? I'm no reviewer, just some guy that imported the game back in January but its got a damn good plot. Really dark especially in the second half (definitely one of/the most dark plot in the series). Its a rather lengthy plot as well since it sets up so many brand new characters (almost all of which are excellent), though it's slightly more humorous in places due to Ichiban being a more laid back protagonist (who by the way, is easily the best thing about this game, he's so damn good)

Yeah I was mostly interested if the story is as captivating as ZERO. Kiwami1 + 2 were not as strong for me.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The final substory is literally the Persona Valentine's Day event, if you chose to date multiple characters. "Romance" boils down to a single substory related to that female character and you must have completed all of them in order to unlock this final substory.

Read above.
Thanks.
I wish Japan would stop with this trope. It never was good in anime nor is it good here or in anything.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Our review isn't up yet, since Sega moved the embargo up, but if anyone has any PC centric questions, let me now. Also, the PC version is damned good.

We also have some 4K footage, but it's been encoding for 14 hours so far.... wtf YouTube.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Xypher Staying spoiler-free, so I'm not going to click that. I'll take your word for it that's it's problematic, and see what I think when I play. I'll definitely keep on eye on what further quote posts of that say though.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Read above.
That was really strange. I mean, the entire lot of side stories for that were odd but I at least hoped we'd have gotten a fight out of it (I honestly thought that's what they were setting up, but of course they wouldn't do that). I think those are at least completely optional? Not even sure there's a trophy tied to them? I know there's not one for doing all side stories at least.

Yeah I was mostly interested of the story is as captivating as ZERO. Kiwami1 + 2 were not as strong for me.
7 has the advantage of being a newer game (compared to the plots of 1&2, which are over a decade old now) so its way, way more fleshed out. Granted that's no guarantee you'll love the plot, but I personally really enjoyed it.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
Yeah fuck turn based combat. Absolutely detest it. Will buy Yakuza if it reverts back to the original style of combat

Let's not act like the series has good combat in the first place. I love the series to death but the combat system is, in most episodes, fucking awful.
Turned based is gonna be a welcome change.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone review the Windows store version? Trying to figure out if this game has cross-save with Xbox

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Surprised ACG gave it a wait for a sale.

The grinding and poor dungeons sounds a bit worrying. The switch to RPG combat doesn't seem nearly as bad as I imagined.
I think I'll purchase anyways.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That was really strange. I mean, the entire lot of side stories for that were odd but I at least hoped we'd have gotten a fight out of it (I honestly thought that's what they were setting up, but of course they wouldn't do that). I think those are at least completely optional? Not even sure there's a trophy tied to them? I know there's not one for doing all side stories at least.
There actually is one trophy related to it, but as the western version may have changed up the list, they may have removed it.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Straight into my veins

A Yakuza turn-based RPG sounds like something that was made for me personally, I fucking NEEEED this game

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017
The combat is the aspect I enjoy less of the Yakuza games, so this turn based thing could be interesting.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Really great to see that in the west this game may end up fulfilling the goal of reaching a new playerbase and widening the series appeal. In the import OT I was very vocal about my issues with the gameplay changes, mostly because there is so much untapped potential here, but I really hope more people give this new direction a chance and then whenever the next one releases, it will be the one to crack 90 on Metacritic.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017

7 has the advantage of being a newer game (compared to the plots of 1&2, which are over a decade old now) so its way, way more fleshed out. Granted that's no guarantee you'll love the plot, but I personally really enjoyed it.
Great to hear. Thanks. Where would this one rank in your all time favorite Yakuza stories?

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
do we know if they will provide a free upgrade to PS5, and also whether they support import of the ps4 save?

game looked great in the iGN review, combat looked fast paced and full of action elements like attack timing and guarding

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Great to hear. Thanks. Where would this one rank in your all time favorite Yakuza stories?
Somewhere near the top. Though I don't rate 0 as much as others personally, but loved both Samurai plots (especially Kenzan).

Really great to see that in the west this game may end up fulfilling the goal of reaching a new playerbase and widening the series appeal. In the import OT I was very vocal about my issues with the gameplay changes, mostly because there is so much untapped potential here, but I really hope more people give this new direction a chance and then whenever the next one releases, it will be the one to crack 90 on Metacritic.
Definitely true about issues the game has. A sequel that refines things ala RGG1-2 could be something amazing, I just hope they get the chance to do that.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
do we know if they will provide a free upgrade to PS5, and also whether they support import of the ps4 save?

game looked great in the iGN review, combat looked fast paced and full of action elements like attack timing and guarding
Yes, there will be a free upgrade, but as far as we know, you can't import save data.
Can I play this one first ? Never played the others
Yes, it is very much designed to be a starting point.

IceBear

Nov 20, 2017
grinding? someone is obviously not making use of the exp buff from food and drinks in the game.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
Thank goodness for these scores. It just means no matter what there is a great game to play next weekend. I think VALHALLA will review well enough, but have definitely been waiting for this one for awhile.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, this is a jumping on point story wise as it's a brand new cast and story.

You should definitely play the old ones though, and the combat here is entirely new- RPG as opposed to real time brawlers of the past.
I know. I have them all from 0 to 6 and even judgment. It never had the time yet. I might go for this one first.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Still crazy that I got into the series in 2008 and only in the last 3-4 years the series started getting that recognition.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Our review isn't up yet, since Sega moved the embargo up, but if anyone has any PC centric questions, let me now. Also, the PC version is damned good.

We also have some 4K footage, but it's been encoding for 14 hours so far.... wtf YouTube.

are you able to run it at 4k60 without drops? what are your specs?

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza is my favourite series this gen but I can't get excited for this one. I just can't. I tried the demo multiple times, the battle system and the characters turn me off so hard.

I'll probably play it at some point, I just hope I will manage to get into it. But in any case, I really hope RGG studio continues to release real time battle games, maybe through Judgment or other spinoffs.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
Count me in the group that is unconvinced by the switch to turn based combat. From some of the reviews it sounds like there's a lot of boring grinding which is annoying and not what I expect from a Yakuza game. I've only played 0 but I never felt the need to grind and usually threw money on the floor to avoid enemies.