• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Good reviews.

I was hoping this could be the first 90+ Yakuza game, but seems like the series still isn't there.
That was never going to happen. Its insanely difficult for any game to break that 90 barrier, and seeing how past games (even 0 and Judge Eyes) were received, I knew 7 wouldn't hit that. Doubt they ever will, not that it really makes a difference or matters.

This video is only 20 minutes long and there are tons of battle in it! The one I just watched took 17 seconds.

I'm reading some of it right now but I just felt compelled to jump in with my take.

Honestly? They have a "rational" reason as far as capitalism goes and that is to make money. It's no different than how Microsoft and Sony entered the market or Nintendo for that matter. I may even like their products for all I know. Not sure about Google because they're doing worse, but I doubt that they'll necessarily give up in the near-term, at least not yet, given that they're simply too big of a company to care about the short-term failures and what they've gone through ARE short-term failures, even if they are big ones.
Well good news, it doesn't. Using the right moves it takes between 2-5 seconds to take out an entire mob, even end game enemies. Much like your average Kamurocho bike, certain moves in this decimate enemies in seconds.
Whew that was my biggest fear. It looks like there are too many long ass flashy animations.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting to get this the whole time, nice it's getting good reviews. Don't know when I'll be able to get it though.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah. using a Breakdancer with Windmill on a mob can end a fight in a single attack.
Yup - many of the AoE attacks are incredibly useful and overpowered. The best one is if you unlock a optional character - she has an attack where she throws a handful of tacks/pins at enemies. First time I did it I laughed my ass off how it shredded the entire group of enemies. Fight over in one attack! Its also got an absurd range/reach to it, so unless enemies are really spread out they are basically DOA the second you use it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Currently sitting on the same OpenCritic score as Yakuza 0, the best game in the series.

ArtisticAdventurousIndianglassfish-size_restricted.gif

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some are pretty long, but I found them to be more manageable and less frequent than other games in the series. You'll spend a lot more time exploring Yokohama and cracking the skulls of its colorful criminal element than you will be staring at cinematics. Though the lengthier battles are a bit of a tradeoff. Remember, this is an RPG we're talking about here. Some of the more formidable bosses took me over 20 minutes to beat.
Sounds like you won't even make it out of the first chapter. Which is insanely cutscene heavy (it almost has no gameplay save for a couple of combat tutorials, its like 2-3 hours worth of cutscenes with some little breaks in between).
And while all subsequent chapters have way, way more gameplay the game is still incredibly cutscene heavy. Its a story lead game after all, and one that needs to establish a lot since its cast is almost entirely brand new. So if you want a game with short cutscenes, look elsewhere.

Great reviews so far, nice to see it reviewing well, its a damn good game after all and the combat change was an interesting and fun choice. I already look forward to the next RPG sequel.
Thanks for the information. It's not that I hate cutscenes or anything, I am very much a story first kind of game player, but there are definitely games that I've had to put off for a good while until I actually had time to sit through them haha. I figured they wouldn't be drastically different here so I'm not that surprised. I'll still absolutely get it, though it sounds like I'll be waiting until around Christmas before I can actually really dig in.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
That was never going to happen. Its insanely difficult for any game to break that 90 barrier, and seeing how past games (even 0 and Judge Eyes) were received, I knew 7 wouldn't hit that. Doubt they ever will, not that it really makes a difference or matters.
I'm gonna enjoy it a lot regardless, but it's more of a recognition thing. I think if your game break into the 90s more people will give it a try and it could become bigger (like Nier Automata for example), so my hope is that one day Yakuza can do that too.

And I had it on my Fantasy Critic team....

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Currently sitting on the same OpenCritic score as Yakuza 0, the best game in the series.

ArtisticAdventurousIndianglassfish-size_restricted.gif
Last I checked 0 wasn't better than Kenzan ;) (or 5 for that matter).

Has any reviewer compared the story with Zero?
What do you want compared? I'm no reviewer, just some guy that imported the game back in January but its got a damn good plot. Really dark especially in the second half (definitely one of/the most dark plot in the series). Its a rather lengthy plot as well since it sets up so many brand new characters (almost all of which are excellent), though it's slightly more humorous in places due to Ichiban being a more laid back protagonist (who by the way, is easily the best thing about this game, he's so damn good)

Has Yokohama been in Yakuza before? I thought it was brand new.

Its brand new, only times its used previously are in one long fight in Kiwami 1 (you can't explore the city though) and its mentioned in 3 (though in retrospect, the mention in 3 kinda contradicts 7's plot)

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic reviews. I was always getting this at launch anyway but great to see it review well.

Now I just need to decide if the extra stuff is worth it over the standard edition.

Could anyone who may have played the Japanese release already advise if the extra content is worth it?

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
My only problems so far:

- Game is too easy
- Combat can be awkward at times because it uses real-time environments, so characters can get stuck due to props/their position
- Some of the side quests are borderline cringe and not in a good way (most of them are fine though)
- English VA is good but don't expect perfect lip sync

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Yes and free upgrade to PS5 version if I recall correctly.
Fantastic reviews. I was always getting this at launch anyway but great to see it review well.

Now I just need to decide if the extra stuff is worth it over the standard edition.

Could anyone who may have played the Japanese release already advise if the extra content is worth it?
Yea but saves are not cross-gen, which defeats the entire purpose

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Great reviews! Still not sure I'll be playing it without a PS5 patch, but it will be a tough wait.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Basically - no - its not worth the extra cost. The extra two job types are cool but ultimately not really needed (plus upgrading the weapons for both is pain) and the rest of it is just fluff you don't need.

My only problems so far:

- Game is too easy
- Combat can be awkward at times because it uses real-time environments, so characters can get stuck due to props/their position
- Some of the side quests are borderline cringe and not in a good way (most of them are fine though)
- English VA is good but don't expect perfect lip sync
Guessing you have no info on when/where EX Hard mode is? It was DLC for the Asian version and drastically increases the challenge to the game (its really fun, at least I thought so - the optional boss is amazing on the higher difficulty).

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Basically - no - its not worth the extra cost. The extra two job types are cool but ultimately not really needed (plus upgrading the weapons for both is pain) and the rest of it is just fluff you don't need.
Thanks! I'll likely just go for the standard version in that case, as the jobs (and the Kiryu costume!) were the main things making me want the deluxe version - but if the jobs are a bit of a pain then I may as well save the cash towards another game to go along with Yakuza.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Any news on game length?
30ish hours if you mainly focus on the plot I think. Though I did everything in the game, so it took me a good 150+ hours (don't worry, the completion list is optional this time). Took me another 40 odd hours for EX Hard mode, though I did mess around at points so not like I solely focused on the plot.

The real estate/management sim got its hooks in me deep.
Those commercials you get at points cracked me up, the love and attention that went into that mode was ace. Way better than Kiryu's thing in 0.

Also, something cool:

So the premium DLC is part of the base game now (didn't see that coming) and its integrated into the trophy list. So that means the plat is way harder than in Japan, because that last optional fight is pretty darn tough.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any updates (graphics) on next gen or is it just resolution/fps?

Apparently some of the lighting and water effects are better (higher quality) on next gen. Looks like the rendering resolution and framerate (and load times obviously) are the big jumps though.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
30ish hours if you mainly focus on the plot I think. Though I did everything in the game, so it took me a good 150+ hours (don't worry, the completion list is optional this time). Took me another 40 odd hours for EX Hard mode, though I did mess around at points so not like I solely focused on the plot.

Those commercials you get at points cracked me up, the love and attention that went into that mode was ace. Way better than Kiryu's thing in 0.

Also, something cool:

So the premium DLC is part of the base game now (didn't see that coming) and its integrated into the trophy list. So that means the plat is way harder than in Japan, because that last optional fight is pretty darn tough.

Wait why the fuck would they adjust the base trophy list like that. That's dumb. Should've just kept it as DLC trophies.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
50 hours for the main quest? The other games were beatable in 20 except 5.
It's a pretty long game and you most likely won't be able to just rush from main story marker to main story marker. Most people run into one specific wall and then you do have to do some side content in order to level up and get better equipment.

The side content is also highly recommended, there are some real fun minigames, real estate will be your main source of income and some substories are really really great.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Wait why the fuck would they adjust the base trophy list like that. That's dumb. Should've just kept it as DLC trophies.
No idea, its gonna be funny seeing the reactions though, as that's gonna be a notably harder plat than the Asian one which is one of the easiest. But then again, I know I'll do all the trophies anyway so I don't care. Its not the first time that localisations/remasters messed with the lists though - 3-5 got reductions on certain requirements while the Yakuza FOTNS game changed some requirements to remove some of the evil grind that the game had (and trust me, that's for the sanity of players, the Japanese plat on that game is a bastard to get - I speak from experience!)

It's a pretty long game and you most likely won't be able to just rush from main story marker to main story marker. Most people run into one specific wall and then you do have to do some side content in order to level up and get better equipment.

The side content is also highly recommended, there are some real fun minigames, real estate will be your main source of income and some substories are really really great.
Its funny reading an interview with Nagoshi and co. about that particular part where some people got stuck. His response was basically that the recommended way was to basically do most of the side stuff as you go, plus its not really that hard to level up for those fights with all the big XP chances the game gives you either. Its totally gonna catch a few people out here I think!

Aug 31, 2019
As a disgusting PC only peasent, I only have access to games 0-2. I haven't made my way through them yet, but when I have, is jumping to Like a Dragon OK? These games seem really story heavy, seems bad to skip so many games, but I don't think I'm going to buy a console just to keep up with Yakuza.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The RPGSite review mentioned some things being 'iffy' - are some things going to land badly in regards to social issues?

Sounds like a Yakuza game.

Have seen my fair share of Kiryu slapping women or using women's chests as an aid in battles to go in knowing that I'm going to be sighing my way through some bits of every game.

Oct 27, 2017
Good to hear they came to their senses and made the hard mode/new game+ free in the west.

It was very stupid to begin with and I hoping this never happens again.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
No idea, its gonna be funny seeing the reactions though, as that's gonna be a notably harder plat than the Asian one which is one of the easiest. But then again, I know I'll do all the trophies anyway so I don't care. Its not the first time that localisations/remasters messed with the lists though - 3-5 got reductions on certain requirements while the Yakuza FOTNS game changed some requirements to remove some of the evil grind that the game had (and trust me, that's for the sanity of players, the Japanese plat on that game is a bastard to get - I speak from experience!)

Its funny reading an interview with Nagoshi and co. about that particular part where some people got stuck. His response was basically that the recommended way was to basically do most of the side stuff as you go, plus its not really that hard to level up for those fights with all the big XP chances the game gives you either. Its totally gonna catch a few people out here I think!
Some reviewers are saying the game is too easy. If you don't grind the difficulty is normal I guess?

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah, looking back, it even is kind of obvious, as you unlock one of the best ways to earn exp and equipment right before it.

Some reviewers are saying the game is too easy. If you don't grind the difficulty is normal I guess?
There is one difficulty spike where enemy levels jump like 20 levels at once IIRC, and no matter how "smart" you play, if you don't level up your characters you will simply get destroyed there.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, there's a couple of points that if you rush ahead grossly underleveled you'll probably get stomped. But I'm talking really underleveled here, because as mentioned above, your given so many avenues of improving your gear, leveling up etc. right before it that its really not a problem. Plus if you correctly spec out your party you should be fine (give all the characters several elemental attacks, have one as a dedicated healer etc.)

deadpixels

Oct 30, 2017
Newark, Delaware
Nah, there's a couple of points that if you rush ahead grossly underleveled you'll probably get stomped. But I'm talking really underleveled here, because as mentioned above, your given so many avenues of improving your gear, leveling up etc. right before it that its really not a problem. Plus if you correctly spec out your party you should be fine (give all the characters several elemental attacks, have one as a dedicated healer etc.)

Yup. I found that out the hard way on the wrecking ball fight. If you go in without doing a bit of grinding and upgrading your gear you can get pummeled in no time flat.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Is the hard mode supposed to be better?

Revven

Oct 27, 2017
Also, something cool:

This is what I was wondering about! Good. I can start on the higher difficulty like I do for every Yakuza playthrough I do. Glad to see the trend of Japan getting dumb/awful DLC just auto getting included in the base game in the Western release.